Kill Your Completion ∞

26 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Actually the day rule is there so that there are updates from everyone on a regular basis and at regular intervals for the same individual games, Just to have some sort of structure in general.

Yeah, that's what I meant too.

Furthermore it's so people try to choose a fitting amount of games depending on their schedule from the get-go. That's why I hard capped the allowed games at 15 as well. While possible, it's generally fairly unlikely that people have the time to get a decent number of hours into the games if they've got to play 1 a day or so. Even 1 every two days is somewhat of a stretch I'd find, but kept the 15 for now as it was previously an acceptable amount.

How it is for me, is that It'd be very hard for me to get even just two hours of PlayStation gaming in a Tuesday-Thursday set, while I usually have at least four or five hours of gaming across the weekend (and Friday and Monday are usually good days for me too). So how it might work for me is playing three games for at least three hours each across Friday-Monday, and then be silent for three days as I have little to no PlayStation gaming time until the next Friday.

That might change for the next KYC though (spoiler :P).

SPOILERS!

Anyway, one game a day might be a lot of fun, for one event. I wouldn't do it each time but just once, it'd be like a dive, extremely killing the completion percentage while playing only an hour or so in each game, or at least until getting one trophy.

It would lead to less in-depth reviews, but it might be fun for different reasons.

Anyhow,... yeah I'm okay with the adjusting of schedule because sometimes life is a bit more unpredictable.

Thanks. It's weird how easy I could stick to one game in three days just two and a half years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Anyway, one game a day might be a lot of fun, for one event. I wouldn't do it each time but just once, it'd be like a dive, extremely killing the completion percentage while playing only an hour or so in each game, or at least until getting one trophy.

It would lead to less in-depth reviews, but it might be fun for different reasons.

That sounds more like testing, if the disc works :P .

It could be fun, sure. I do believe that it would be more suitable for a different event though, for the very reason you mentioned... the reviews/impressions. I don't think 1 hour is enough to form a proper opinion on a game. Sure it depends a bit on the game's length or genre. If it's a very short game or a fighting game, 1 hour is usually sufficient to cover most things and get a good overall feel for the game. While arguably 3 hours aren't all that much either, it gives the chance to dig a bit deeper. It's pretty much the ideal balance for what the event is.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

That sounds more like testing, if the disc works :P .

It could be fun, sure. I do believe that it would be more suitable for a different event though, for the very reason you mentioned... the reviews/impressions. I don't think 1 hour is enough to form a proper opinion on a game. Sure it depends a bit on the game's length or genre. If it's a very short game or a fighting game, 1 hour is usually sufficient to cover most things and get a good overall feel for the game. While arguably 3 hours aren't all that much either, it gives the chance to dig a bit deeper. It's pretty much the ideal balance for what the event is.

Yeah, it'd be more like "first impressions" than actual reviews. Would help with figuring out what to play next in the backlog though.

... Hmmmmm. I might just make an event like this for January. It sounds like fun but it's not what KYC is about, not really.

Three hours is enough as a minimum. That should be at least one fourth of any non-RPG storyline.

20 hours ago, SolarCat02 said:

Mages of Mystralia

By the dialog it's clear the audience is not adults but children so I will admit concern at what this character building is trying to teach here. 

The game play itself is fun enough once you figure it out. I died a lot in the beginning because it wasn't clear you needed to hold down the button on your shield spell to keep it active, and that you had to face the correct direction because it only casts in front of you. Once I sorted that out though everything else was intuitive. Additionally all my deaths mean that I am loaded in some sort of blue orb currency as the jars they were in kept respawninh but I got to keep what I had already gathered.

It's clear there's going to be assorted puzzles for how to use my spells to achieve specific results but so far it is just an occasional easy task for the storyline.

I played that game during the last KYC event. By now I've completed it and thought it was decent overall.

It sounds like you're close to the beginning of the game, so I'll try not to spoil anything.

While the dialogues are rather child-oriented, the gameplay down the line gets a bit more challenging. In particular the "create your own spell" gimmick, gets very convoluted the further you get into the game. While it isn't all that necessary to progress through the story, the optional secret challenges will require a lot of tinkering with that menu.

8 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

... Hmmmmm. I might just make an event like this for January. It sounds like fun but it's not what KYC is about, not really.

From the OP of KYC1:

On 24.6.2016 at 4:48 AM, Hemiak said:

This event was inspired by one brave visionary's epic journey to tackle the mountain of games that he found himself buried under.

-->

;) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Yeah I know, it was inspired by such an event, but KYC is not about playing 30-31 games but about playing less, and forming more of an opinion about them.

Anyway, it's a cool idea.

Depending on the time someone has for playing the games the participant could still form an opinion about a game even if it's only played for a sole day. And if it's more about forming an opinion (which I agree with) then there were already quite a few participants who didn't play by the event's "rules" as they added games they already played.

14 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Depending on the time someone has for playing the games the participant could still form an opinion about a game even if it's only played for a sole day. And if it's more about forming an opinion (which I agree with) then there were already quite a few participants who didn't play by the event's "rules" as they added games they already played.

I recall "no previously played games" being a pretty explicit rule in earlier KYC events, together with a new game in a know franchise being allowed if it wasn't the only type of game you'd play.

As said, it'd be more about "first impressions" than about a full opinion if it was just one day, with only the weekend games getting any true gaming time. Speaking as a full time worker here, my student days are long gone. :)

19 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

I recall "no previously played games" being a pretty explicit rule in earlier KYC events, together with a new game in a know franchise being allowed if it wasn't the only type of game you'd play.

Still the first rule was broken AFAIR by at least one user, but then multiple times already. But I don't want to be a party pooper and spoil the mood of the event. 

22 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

As said, it'd be more about "first impressions" than about a full opinion if it was just one day, with only the weekend games getting any true gaming time. Speaking as a full time worker here, my student days are long gone. :)

My student days are (not so) long gone, too. :P But I guess it's better to call such opinions first impressions then. Although I have to say that in retrospect most KYC-reviews (can also be called first impressions due to the reduced playing time. At least most of mine can be called that way  as there were quite a bunch where my opinion changed completely. :D 

17 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Gameplay: I never knew how much I hated QTE's until this game. "Move the left stick in the motion that Jodie is moving towards" my ass! Yeah sure, it gives a nice "rush" element to it, but when you're trying to do some of the trophies, whilst doing a perfect QTE run, then it becomes frustrating. I've done 2 such trophies so far, and I hope those are the last, but it's probably not.

If you thought the QTE's for this were bad, you might want to stay away from Heavy Rain as that one is even worse in that regard xD.

• Like 1