Why do people hate this game so much?

Sicho

Nothing good will come of getting as frustrated as you seem to be over why a large portion of people dislike the game you are enjoying. Also nothing good will come from the OP trying to devalue or denounce someones opinion based on their PSNProfiles game list.

The review bombing it's received as some kind of organized protest is really crappy and immature, but it shouldn't affect your ability to enjoy the game. Trying to pick apart the 'why' of this kind of thing is a short-cut to madness.

Edit: I'm still waiting for my copy to get delivered, but what i've played at a friends house is enjoyable, but incredibly buggy and tough to play in parts. I'll definitely put some time into it once i get my copy to formulate a proper opinion. But it's far from perfect from what i've seen.

It's not a traditional Fallout game and i've gone into this not expecting one. It's not an argument as to why the game might be a dislike for me. The merits (or lack thereof) of the game itself are and should be.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Feral said:

the survival stuff turned me off it

a lot of people loved it in Fallout NV though ... but I agree that this is something that isn't everybody's cup of tea (a reason why it was optional in NV). However, this was well known in advance.

6 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

The review bombing it's received as some kind of organized protest is really crappy and immature, but it shouldn't affect your ability to enjoy the game. 

but it's a multiplayer game though ... it's dependant on how many people play it. Review bombing like this may deter many, many people from playing it, putting the game into the grave prematurely.

I haven't played this game and I have no intention of doing so, but the impression I get of it based on YouTube videos I've watched is that it's nothing more than a quick, minimum effort cash grab.

I have played every other Fallout game with my favorite being Fallout 2 and Fallout 4 being my least favorite (I've never actually finished Fallout 4, got bored with it after about 40 hours).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Tired of people saying you need to be in game development to understand or criticize it. When there are other titles like God of War or RDR2 out this year, you can clearly see a difference in the quality between those and this. You can also look at Fallout: Miami from the mod community and even that looks like a far more polished product. Bethesda even admitted that they want players to be their bug testers for this game and you wouldn't call that lazy? I'm sure there are people that worked hard on this game, but it hardly shows with the final product. 

criticize no, understand yes.  If you don't understand the process how can you call them lazy?  Maybe they were told by upper management to ship the game regardless.  How is that the developer being lazy?  As far as the bugs go.  Yeah, it's a problem that should be criticized but as I said, calling them lazy is the laziest of criticism.  There are ways to voice ones concern and calling the developers lazy will accomplish nothing.  So go ahead and change nothing.  Or, put some thought into your criticism and make your voice heard.  Your call.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Happy said:

There is an excessive amount of video essays on Youtube as well as professionally written reviews of this game that raise multiple reasonable points as to why many people feel the game is lackluster. I’d suggest educating yourself by those means if you genuinely don’t understand the negative reception.

sorry but even with the reasonable points, the game is not a 2 out of 10.

It's really not much worse than Fallout 4 and look how that is received ...

these kind of overreactions worry me. Hyperbole everywhere and it swaps over to other walks of life as well ... :(

also let me be clear here:

My question is not mainly "why do people don't like this game"? but, as stated in the title why do people HATE this game and why SO MUCH ??

Edited by Sicho

I am really enjoying it. I see the hate as being a bandwagon just cause it's different. I see youtubers that just bash it but when something in 76 is even hinted at, they post about it. gotta get them views I guess.
I pre-ordered it, played the beta and yes it has issues but it's not the worst game ever. It's something new and most likely the last Fallout we are getting until next gen. Well boycotting the game is a great way to tell Bethesda we don't want another one and then that's it, you killed it. I for one am gonna be pissed if I lose another game series I love just cause people don't wanna be open to new experiences. 
I am not a Bethesda fanatic, far from it in fact. When you're a fan of something, you wanna see it succeed and grow and thus you support it. It's like a marriage, you can't just be there and support it when it's good and ignore it when it's bad and then expect to be accepted to all the fun things later while you pretend you were there from the start. Trust me, I know, I am also a Green Lantern fan and I hated that live-action movie but I gritted my teeth and supported it cause that's what a true fan does, you stick by it thick and thin. I like Fallout 76. Ia it the best Fallout? no, but is it the steaming pile of crap people make it out to be? no.
By boycotting 76 and telling people not to buy it your killing the franchise and ensuring it doesn't see another release. Take a look at Andromeda, that game was set up for 3 titles and DLC and it all was shit canned for stuff exactly like this. Stuff I was actually looking forward to. So sorry if I seem a little salty or whatever, it's that this crap screwed me out of one series with big plans and I was quiet last time, I will not let Fallout go down without a fight.

5 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:
I like Fallout 76. Ia it the best Fallout? no, but is it the steaming pile of crap people make it out to be? no.
By boycotting 76 and telling people not to buy it your killing the franchise and ensuring it doesn't see another release. Take a look at Andromeda, that game was set up for 3 titles and DLC and it all was shit canned for stuff exactly like this. Stuff I was actually looking forward to. 

This.

3 minutes ago, zalikffmeelopen said:

After 3 disconnects and 4 screen freezes only yesterday, i dislike the game in it's current state.

and it's your right to dislike it.

and disliking a game is healthy. Hating it with a passion and bashing it everywhere is not ... but that's what a lot of people do on the internet and it worries me for multiple reasons... the main one being what Stargazer2600 said.

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Diablo Immortal

Which is another one of these examples where I think the hate is just tooooooo much!

I feel for the gfans that paid for a Blizzcon ticket expecting a huge new Diablo reveal but all the others? I mean if you don't like a Diablo mobile spin-off, just don't play it and move on. You want to play Diablo on PC? There is already Diablo 3 with virtually unlimited content. A new PC Diablo doesn't really make sense yet.. .what would be different from D3 besides maybe a bit better graphics and a new story which quite frankly "no one" gives a damn about in the Diablo games since it's about leveling up characters and loot and not about story? A D4 makes sense in 2025 or so ...

It's a bit of a tangent but so many franchises have mobile spin-offs, why can't Diablo have one? And why does "everyone" has to respond to it with spitting venom?

6 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Welcome to free market. Shit products don't sell and that's exactly how it supposed to work.

because one or two popular youtubers say it's shit and no one wants to disagree with them in fear of losing mutual subs so the whole "lets hate this" bandwagon starts up and screws the game over. yeah, cause that's how its supposed to work.

Fallout 76 doesn't do anything that other games haven't done. Hate 76 cause the story is told to you through robots, holotapes, and computers? I bet you hate Bioshock and Bioshock 2 also cause they did the same thing, oh wait, no those were critically acclaimed.

Edited by Stargazer2600

I'm not a Bethesda fan  and only played Skyrim for the platinum and Fallout 4, but for what  I saw in Fallout 4 this game is a mess for  multiplayer, be it coop or competitive,  something that keeps a game afloat in the online section is the gameplay, and Fallout 4 is by no means  good in this department,  compared to other shooters who may or may not have rpg  functions like Borderlands, Destiny, Call of Duty etc  the gameplay is slow and  painful, a big no for fps, ammunition  is scarse to find compared to the others, especially  at the beginning of the game and it's just sad that Borderlands has more rpg functions than a game made by an acclaimed rpg company,  if the game is very similiar to Fallout 4  like I've been told but with coop then I can see where the problem stands, Bethesda isn't ready to crack these types of games, it shoulda have released Fallout 5 in preparation to this and tried to make the gameplay enjoyable, because there is a certain limit to yes, sarcastic yes, yes but later and yes but tell me more roleplaying.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

20 minutes ago, Sicho said:

sorry but even with the reasonable points, the game is not a 2 out of 10.

It's really not much worse than Fallout 4 and look how that is received ...

these kind of overreactions worry me. Hyperbole everywhere and it swaps over to other walks of life as well ... :(

also let me be clear here:

My question is not mainly "why do people don't like this game"? but, as stated in the title why do people HATE this game and why SO MUCH ??

Because many see the same Issues from Fallout 4 In Fallout 76.The fact they are still using a outdated engine and not willing to Improve and evolve their games, makes a lot of fans like myself pissed off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Welcome to free market. Shit products don't sell and that's exactly how it supposed to work.

yeah but ME Andromeda wasn't shit and Fallout 76 isn't shit.

People have to understand that some games are always going to be rough around the edges and not always be like God of War 2018 or RDR2. If we only allow "top titles" to succeed, we will end up in a "Hollywood" situation, where only the slickest of blockbusters are made anymore because everything else is too much of a risk.

There needs to be room for mediocrity. As I said in the OP, if there is only "great" and "shit" as measurements, it's an unhealthy environment.

Also, the fact that people start to bash and hate instead of just saying "don't want it" is worrying.

2 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Fallout 4 is by no means  good in this department,  compared to other shooters who may or may not have rpg  functions like Borderlands, Destiny, Call of Duty etc  the gameplay is slow and  painful, a big no for fps, ammunition  is scarse to find compared to the others, especially  at the beginning of the game ...

The 3D Fallout aren't shooters ffs! And especially not FPS since they can be played in Third-Person ...

14 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Which is another one of these examples where I think the hate is just tooooooo much!

I feel for the gfans that paid for a Blizzcon ticket expecting a huge new Diablo reveal but all the others? I mean if you don't like a Diablo mobile spin-off, just don't play it and move on. You want to play Diablo on PC? There is already Diablo 3 with virtually unlimited content. A new PC Diablo doesn't really make sense yet.. .what would be different from D3 besides maybe a bit better graphics and a new story which quite frankly "no one" gives a damn about in the Diablo games since it's about leveling up characters and loot and not about story? A D4 makes sense in 2025 or so ...

It's a bit of a tangent but so many franchises have mobile spin-offs, why can't Diablo have one? And why does "everyone" has to respond to it with spitting venom?

It's about how it was handled. People paid money to go to this event and they close the show by revealing Diablo for mobile devices. It wasn't until after the backlash that Blizzard leaked Diablo 4. And to make matters worse, they held a press conference following this and said that many of their best people are working on mobile games across all of their IPs. They also released an image of a meeting between Netease and Blizzard discussing how to monetize Diablo because that's how out of touch they are. 

I believe you wouldn't have this kind of backlash if they had done something like reveal that they are working on Diablo 4 and then follow up with the Diablo Immortal reveal. It would also help if they didn't respond with things like "do you guys not have phones?" and "we have many of our best developers now working on new mobile titles."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

It's about how it was handled. People paid money to go to this event and they close the show by revealing Diablo for mobile devices. It wasn't until after the backlash that Blizzard leaked Diablo 4. And to make matters worse, they held a press conference following this and said that many of their best people are working on mobile games across all of their IPs. They also released an image of a meeting between Netease and Blizzard discussing how to monetize Diablo because that's how out of touch they are. 

I believe you wouldn't have this kind of backlash if they had done something like reveal that they are working on Diablo 4 and then follow up with the Diablo Immortal reveal. It would also help if they didn't respond with things like "do you guys not have phones?" and "we have many of our best developers now working on new mobile titles."

So they told you that gamers made them so much money in hearthstone that they are going to make more high quality mobile titles.

They spoke the truth! The horror! 

The "do you have phones" comment is the true though. Truth hurts. 
All those whiny, entitled losers were texting on social media before, during, and after the event. Everyone has games on the phones and tablets but fake outrage culture dictates that you must pretend to publicly hate all forms of mobile gaming even though you're raking up 100s of hours playing them.

Edited by TJ_Solo