CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

So here is the final list of competitors. It is a really varied list. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

@Dragon-Archon

@Leon Castle

@fabiansc83

@jemmie

@Kevvik

@Warpedsavior

@sealightbreeze

@xZoneHunter

@ladynadiad

@kingofbattle8174

So what I owe soon is an update on the points. I have a few good ideas for bonus’s that should make your strategy interesting.

The updated OP will be fun too. Just PM me your intro. Kevvik I got yours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xZoneHunter said:

Briefly skimmed through the scoring rules, seems kind of complicated. Will there be some kind soul(s) who will keep track of the counting or are we supposed to do it ourselves?

I will have spreadsheet made that will make tracking easier. All you need to do is give the score along with when you post the completion.  I will add all the scored together and keep track. @Mesopithecus Did also volunteer to help with this as well.

• Like 1

Here are mine: 

• Double points: Kingdom Hearts 3 and ???
  • Triple points: Sword Art Online vs Accel World: Millennium Twilight

Still need to find another double point game.

The LP Ys will be up soon too, so don't know if that'll count for the event multiplier.

Edit:

The scoring is a bit confusing. What if 100- Plat rarity - percentage already completed before the event begins results in a negative score. For example due to a plat rarity of 30% and the percentage completed is 80%. Would that actually lower your score? 

Edited by Dragon-Archon

@Dragon-Archon

I should have added current or previous to  describe the LP bonus. So unless it happens to start before 1 Feb. Do you know when it is starting?

No you would not get a negative score.

So for a plat it would be 100+ tropihies- 30-20.

The 20 is for the 80% completed before the event. Each 20% completed gets a 5 point deduction with 20 points being the max. Your score would take a hit but I am not that cruel. I do not forsee an RPG that would result in neg points. As my wife says about her college work sometimes. Some points are better than no points. Says the woman with a 4.0 GPA.

I was considering the same game for my triple. I watched the first episode of Accel World a few days ago and want to finish it before I start the game.

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Reviewed scoring system....wow, I'm old...I just know old math, not this new stuff...where do I go to just play games?

Mr-Incredible-math-gif.gif

I agree, i'm a little lazy for all that math stuff. Plus, i'm a little confused too...i don't even know how to write my intro ?...i just wanna play some good ol' rpgs ?

The battle against that dragon will be tough, he's the people's favourite by far i think, he must be nerfed hehe.

I voted for @Leon Castle to make things a little more interesting.

Edited by fabiansc83
  • Like 1

Triple points: Omega Quintet

Double Points: Persona 5 and Tokyo Xanadu eX+

So for the series one, are you going to count it if we've completed a stack of that game before?  So for example let's say I finish the Japanese version of CS4.  CS3 gets localized this year, and it's very possible CS1 and CS2 on PS4 may get separate trophy sets.  I've already platted CS1-CS3.  Also, as you can see from my double points, I'm doing the PS4 stack for Tokyo Xanadu and also Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Ys Origin.

Or heck, would there be some bonus for loving a game so much that we plat multiple stacks of it?  I mean a second stack of Ys Origin is insane (and I also have the 100% on Steam, that means I've done 6 playthroughs as each character, 18 total runs of the game by the time I've gotten my PS4 plat).  Okay, I admit I just love Falcom enough to double or triple dip and keep buying these games.

@Dragon-Archon -  I hope that Ys LP starts soon.  I'll definitely join for getting my last two plats from the series and I'd just love to be able to join before I finish them.

Edit: Also, to make sure I am understanding the scoring, can I do an example of one I'm likely to finish soon, which is Ys Origin.  I have one silver and one gold trophy left and it's 88% completion.  Yeah, I know it sounds like I'm so close, but I still have probably 30-40 hours left.

So when I get that plat, the score would be 100+8-2.50-20 for a total of 85.50 with its current rarity of 2.50%?

Edited by ladynadiad

12 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

No you would not get a negative score.

So for a plat it would be 100+ tropihies- 30-20.

The 20 is for the 80% completed before the event. Each 20% completed gets a 5 point deduction with 20 points being the max. Your score would take a hit but I am not that cruel. I do not forsee an RPG that would result in neg points. As my wife says about her college work sometimes. Some points are better than no points. Says the woman with a 4.0 GPA.

I was considering the same game for my triple. I watched the first episode of Accel World a few days ago and want to finish it before I start the game.

Ok, that's good to know. Are you also going to include playtime into the scoring? 

Definitely finish Accel World, it's great. Hoping it gets another season.

12 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I should have added current or previous to  describe the LP bonus. So unless it happens to start before 1 Feb. Do you know when it is starting?

10 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I hope that Ys LP starts soon.  I'll definitely join for getting my last two plats from the series and I'd just love to be able to join before I finish them.

I'll see if I can create it this weekend, the banner and trophies are finished.

11 hours ago, fabiansc83 said:

The battle against that dragon will be tough, he's the people's favourite by far i think, he must be nerfed hehe.

I voted for @Leon Castle to make things a little more interesting.

I voted for Leon too, so it should be tied now.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Are you also going to include playtime into the scoring? 

I too would like to know this, since it'll have a significant impact on what my double and triple point games are. Though I guess at this point, changing the rules would be unfair to those who have already chosen their games. :giggle:

5 minutes ago, jemmie said:

I too would like to know this, since it'll have a significant impact on what my double and triple point games are. Though I guess at this point, changing the rules would be unfair to those who have already chosen their games. :giggle:

Well the event hasn't started yet, so it wouldn't be unfair if we were allowed to switch them all out once due to a rule change.

• Like 1

Oh man, seems I got here too late to sign up! :P

Well, I'm already in the Monthly Madness event, Bingo and Kings Challenge, so getting on a fourth yearly event might not be the best option!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 1

Since I know it likely won't be me, who am I to break a tie? Ladynadiad gets my vote so that we have lots of underdogs for this.

Before I choose my double and triple points games, as nothing written so far would rule it out, if I choose a double/triple points game with DLC, are those points affected by the bonus as well or just the main game?  I was thinking about trying this and arguing it out later but figure we should have clear direction in that regard when we start.  It's all for fun, after all.

Edited by Kevvik

18 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Reviewed scoring system....wow, I'm old...I just know old math, not this new stuff...where do I go to just play games?

Mr-Incredible-math-gif.gif

I know only + and - math so I'm doomed then it comes to the scoring system.

Voted for @ladynadiad to get a new draw, Good Luck to the underdogs.

Here's what I chose for the Extra points

Triple points: Code Vein

Double Points: Super Neptune RPG and Tales of Vesperia

Wow a lot of good comments and feedback. Which is good, as some who have either participated in my events know I try to be accommodating as possible so everyone will have fun.

So I will give some answers now to some of those feedbacks and questions and even make some rule supplements since there are things I did not consider.

8 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'll see if I can create it this weekend, the banner and trophies are finished.

1) If the Let's Play YS series is implemented before the 1st, it is allowed.

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

So for the series one, are you going to count it if we've completed a stack of that game before?  So for example let's say I finish the Japanese version of CS4.  CS3 gets localized this year, and it's very possible CS1 and CS2 on PS4 may get separate trophy sets.  I've already platted CS1-CS3.  Also, as you can see from my double points, I'm doing the PS4 stack for Tokyo Xanadu and also Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Ys Origin.

Or heck, would there be some bonus for loving a game so much that we plat multiple stacks of it?  I mean a second stack of Ys Origin is insane (and I also have the 100% on Steam, that means I've done 6 playthroughs as each character, 18 total runs of the game by the time I've gotten my PS4 plat).  Okay, I admit I just love Falcom enough to double or triple dip and keep buying these games.

2) For Beast Mode, my intent was that the first game is one you complete during the challenge, not previously or to have multiple stacks. I will leave that up the other challengers to see what they want though. Having a multiple stacks  bonus

could give someone a chance who cannot play the longer games a chance to keep competitive by using stacks of shorter games that qualify. 

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

So when I get that plat, the score would be 100+8-2.50-20 for a total of 85.50 with its current rarity of 2.50%?

3) Yes that is the correct math,

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Before I choose my double and triple points games, as nothing written so far would rule it out, if I choose a double/triple points game with DLC, are those points affected by the bonus as well or just the main game?  I was thinking about trying this and arguing it out later but figure we should have clear direction in that regard when we start.  It's all for fun, after all.

4) I would say that if you beat the main game during the event and then go on to take on the DLC of that game then it could be allowed. I would listen to other peoples take on it too.

8 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Ok, that's good to know. Are you also going to include playtime into the scoring? 

A couple of people have asked about this. It seems to be something people want, if a few more say yes, then maybe 10 points per 10 hours of gameplay, so 0 to ten hours would be 10 points. As rated by the average time posted on the trophy guide posted here or another site. If the number is something like 50-75 hours go with the higher number. A plus sign is a little ambiguous as it could be 15 hours or another 100 hours, so if it has a plus sign add 15 points on the backend.

5) Games can be changed with no penalty up to the start date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

A couple of people have asked about this. It seems to be something people want, if a few more say yes, then maybe 10 points per 10 hours of gameplay, so 0 to ten hours would be 10 points. As rated by the average time posted on the trophy guide posted here or another site. If the number is something like 50-75 hours go with the higher number. A plus sign is a little ambiguous as it could be 15 hours or another 100 hours, so if it has a plus sign add 15 points on the backend.

For clarification, are we referring to the highest guide time posted on a reputable site? Also, what do we do in the event of a game without an official guide?

3 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I don't mind this but think it needs some modification.  I would say no game time points for anything up to 20 hrs by guide.  Points would increase by entry into each 20hr brick after that awarding 10-15 points/brick, I'm open to both ends of the range. A game falling in the 81-100hr brick would then be worth an extra 40-60 points. I think that would be a fair scaling especially with potential multipliers for other criteria.

I think PSNP would be the default guide site. There's a fair bit of variety between some sites for some games (ie Star Ocean IV is 400hrs on PSNP and 100 hrs on howlongtobeat). If there's no guide on our site, then you put one up for authorization by the event.

Anybody else with thoughts on this?

7 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

I don't mind this but think it needs some modification.  I would say no game time points for anything up to 20 hrs by guide.  Points would increase by entry into each 20hr brick after that awarding 10-15 points/brick, I'm open to both ends of the range. A game falling in the 81-100hr brick would then be worth an extra 40-60 points. I think that would be a fair scaling especially with potential multipliers for other criteria.

I think PSNP would be the default guide site. There's a fair bit of variety between some sites for some games (ie Star Ocean IV is 400hrs on PSNP and 100 hrs on howlongtobeat). If there's no guide on our site, then you put one up for authorization by the event.

From personal experience, I think relying on one site as a default is a bad idea. Guide times are often understated, so I'd rather go from several sites if possible to reduce the risk of missing out on well-deserved points. Maybe use the larger of the two times from PSNP and PST?

22 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Here's the method I used when I was in a competition with Zolkovo for completion times:

We used the 25th percentile completion time from the PSNP leaderboards and had multipliers for Less Than 24 Hours, 1-3 Days, 3-7 days, 7-14 Days, 14-30 Days, and 30+ days (I believe... I can pull up our formula later). That percentile worked well because it eliminated speed runs but also kept it in the range of "experienced gamers". Only time numbers were wonky were when games has DLC, but that doesn't seem to happen terribly often with RPGs.

2 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Here's the method I used when I was in a competition with Zolkovo for completion times:

We used the 25th percentile completion time from the PSNP leaderboards and had multipliers for Less Than 24 Hours, 1-3 Days, 3-7 days, 7-14 Days, 14-30 Days, and 30+ days (I believe... I can pull up our formula later). That percentile worked well because it eliminated speed runs but also kept it in the range of "experienced gamers". Only time numbers were wonky were when games has DLC, but that doesn't seem to happen terribly often with RPGs.

I like this idea, but how exactly can you pull up the 25th percentile of a game?