Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

On 7/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, Arcesius said:

Let's just say, having this game on my profile means that no other game will ever be rated a 10/10, since nothing comes even close to NecroDancer. There are only 5 platinum achievers on Playstation, and all needed over 900 hours to get there... All trophies but the two hardest ones can be achieved in 150-200 hours or so, with the last two taking many hundreds of hours of practice.

That's 700 hours of practice for two trophies. TWO TROPHIES! 1f621.png And it's not like everything else is a walk in the park, either..

Wow, that's a lot... Now I understand those percentages ?

On 7/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, Arcesius said:

By the way, what did you think of the FF7 Remake? 1f642.png I know you are a long-time fan of the series as well, so I'm curious.

Yeah I'll be doing a review sometime soon along with all the games I've played during the lockdown, but so far I've been to lazy to do it ? Let's just say without spoiling anything major, that I enjoyed playing it a lot: I think they managed to expand and the Midgar part without going too far away from the original story while changing the combat system to better suit the modern taste. The biggest concern for the nostalgic fans, like with almost any remake, was changing too much or removing some parts from the original, but the fact that there will be multiple episodes of it let them adapt more content than what they would have been able to had it been only one episode.

Also it's needless to say that the graphics are on point, so finally I can see Tifa's boo-*COUGH* every character in full HD ?

I guess the biggest pain is waiting a lot of time for Part 2 to come out, but it's better for it to come out later but well done than sooner but poor made ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KN_Kirai said:

Yeah I'll be doing a review sometime soon along with all the games I've played during the lockdown, but so far I've been to lazy to do it 1f605.png Let's just say without spoiling anything major, that I enjoyed playing it a lot: I think they managed to expand and the Midgar part without going too far away from the original story while changing the combat system to better suit the modern taste. The biggest concern for the nostalgic fans, like with almost any remake, was changing too much or removing some parts from the original, but the fact that there will be multiple episodes of it let them adapt more content than what they would have been able to had it been only one episode.

Also it's needless to say that the graphics are on point, so finally I can see Tifa's boo-*COUGH* every character in full HD 1f605.png

I guess the biggest pain is waiting a lot of time for Part 2 to come out, but it's better for it to come out later but well done than sooner but poor made 1f601.png

The original game came out back in 1997. That was a long time ago. There are so many diehard oldschool fans out there who don't like the remake and have criticized it because it doesn't suit their tastes.

That's why Star Wars will never have the great appeal it once did because every new movie that comes out has to be shat on by the older fans who grew up loving the original trilogy. I personally think the trilogy was one of the most important and most epic blockbusters in American Cinema history. It was a complete game changer, and it definitely had a lot of inspiration on many films that came out in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

From where I see it, many of the people who grew up with the original Final Fantasy VII likely aren't too warm about the remake. Younger people who didn't play the series until Final Fantasy X or later probably have a negative opinion on the original Final Fantasy VII. So a remake was needed and from what I heard, many fans enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The original game came out back in 1997. That was a long time ago. There are so many diehard oldschool fans out there who don't like the remake and have criticized it because it doesn't suit their tastes.

That's why Star Wars will never have the great appeal it once did because every new movie that comes out has to be shat on by the older fans who grew up loving the original trilogy. I personally think the trilogy was one of the most important and most epic blockbusters in American Cinema history. It was a complete game changer, and it definitely had a lot of inspiration on many films that came out in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

From where I see it, many of the people who grew up with the original Final Fantasy VII likely aren't too warm about the remake. Younger people who didn't play the series until Final Fantasy X or later probably have a negative opinion on the original Final Fantasy VII. So a remake was needed and from what I heard, many fans enjoy it.

Yes, the probability that the remake would not have satisfied the tastes of the people who played the original when it came out was pretty high, as with any remake of sorts. I myself am not a diehard fan since I played the original a few years ago, so I appreciated the remake and even the effort of not disrupting the original too much, but you can't please everybody, since some people wanted it to bring a fresh and recent look to the original story, others wanted the exact same thing remade.

• Like 2

I played FF7 back when it first came out, have the black label cover with the misprint on the back, and I really enjoy the remake. Aside from technical issues i have with it, especially with the way hard mode is setup to be harder, it gives me that nostalgia fix. They did a really good job with the Midgar environment and you can feel how it was to actually live there. The combat also feels fluid and adds fun fast paced way to play though with a good skill curve.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I played FF7 back when it first came out, have the black label cover with the misprint on the back, and I really enjoy the remake. Aside from technical issues i have with it, especially with the way hard mode is setup to be harder, it gives me that nostalgia fix. They did a really good job with the Midgar environment and you can feel how it was to actually live there. The combat also feel fluid and adds fun fast paced way to play though with a good skill curve.

I have to agree with this. I was 16 when the original came out and it probably is one of the games I've put the most hours in my life. I very much enjoyed the remake. It kept enough nostalgia to bring some butterflies and added enough new stuff (mostly in the spirit of the original) for me to really commend SE on the job they did. I'm genuinely curious where they take this going forward. I enjoyed the new battle system as it is fluid with an element of turn based. It isn't perfect as I felt there were a few gameplay/camera issues, however it exceeded my expectations. I was hoping for a lot while expecting the worst after some of their most recent releases...but this was a job well done. I also plan to expound a bit more in my thread soon. 

• Like 2

On 8.5.2020 at 2:03 PM, Spaz said:

I guess both exist... old fans that really dig the remake, as evidenced by some of the people that wrote here, and those that are disappointed. It really comes down to what you expect from the game. 

Personally, I don't want to play a remake and find a 1:1 copy of the original, with enhanced graphics and cutscenes. I still enjoy playing the original game as it is. I still enjoy playing polygon-characters and let my imagination run wild on how the world and characters look like, how they talk, how they interact with each other. I want the remake to take inspiration from the fantastic game that is the original FFVII, and put a fresh coat of paint on it, improve upon it, make something that old fans can appreciate, while still being a game worth of having been released in 2020. 

On 8.5.2020 at 0:02 PM, KN_Kirai said:

Yeah I'll be doing a review sometime soon along with all the games I've played during the lockdown, but so far I've been to lazy to do it 1f605.png Let's just say without spoiling anything major, that I enjoyed playing it a lot: I think they managed to expand and the Midgar part without going too far away from the original story while changing the combat system to better suit the modern taste. The biggest concern for the nostalgic fans, like with almost any remake, was changing too much or removing some parts from the original, but the fact that there will be multiple episodes of it let them adapt more content than what they would have been able to had it been only one episode.

Also it's needless to say that the graphics are on point, so finally I can see Tifa's boo-*COUGH* every character in full HD 1f605.png

? that was unexpected ?

But nice to hear! This is the first Final Fantasy I played, back in 2000 for the first time, and while not my favorite one (by now you should all know, Final Fantasy IX is the best FF), it's still among the ones that I've played the most. I'm not a fan of the episodic nature of the game, but if they have reasons for it, and if they use the opportunity to expand upon the world and story of the original, then I'm hopeful that I will enjoy it as well :)

As for the combat... Yeah, after playing FFXV I really hope that it's not along those lines... Just holding down a button is not what I'd consider "fun gameplay"... 

18 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I played FF7 back when it first came out, have the black label cover with the misprint on the back, and I really enjoy the remake. Aside from technical issues i have with it, especially with the way hard mode is setup to be harder, it gives me that nostalgia fix. They did a really good job with the Midgar environment and you can feel how it was to actually live there. The combat also feels fluid and adds fun fast paced way to play though with a good skill curve.

16 hours ago, Briste said:

I have to agree with this. I was 16 when the original came out and it probably is one of the games I've put the most hours in my life. I very much enjoyed the remake. It kept enough nostalgia to bring some butterflies and added enough new stuff (mostly in the spirit of the original) for me to really commend SE on the job they did. I'm genuinely curious where they take this going forward. I enjoyed the new battle system as it is fluid with an element of turn based. It isn't perfect as I felt there were a few gameplay/camera issues, however it exceeded my expectations. I was hoping for a lot while expecting the worst after some of their most recent releases...but this was a job well done. I also plan to expound a bit more in my thread soon. 

Very nice, I'm always glad to read that fans of the original are having a great time with it :) As you know I'm always in favor of adding hard modes or whatever as extra challenges, so that's definitely not something that's putting me off. On the contrary. 

@KN_Kirai and @Briste, I look forward to your reviews! Just make sure to hide spoilers ? Not anything that was also in the original, I mean I know the game by heart, but anything that could be considered new, I'd really appreciate it ?

I will play this one for sure. Haven't purchased it yet, and I probably won't until I'm about to start it just in case it is offered on a sale (which I doubt will happen anytime soon). Once I'm done with Nioh 2, I think I will play the first Bioshock, and maybe then get to FF7R. Bioshock is one of those franchises that is praised to the moon and back, but I never had the chance to play any of the games. I'm usually not into FPS, but since I got the collection from PS+, I'm really looking forward to seeing what all the fuzz is about ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

I came from a position of never having played FF7 in my life and I absolutely enjoyed the remake, except for the stupid mindless trophies like collecting all the dresses (even though every single dress was worth it because my goodness Aerith looks absolutely stunning in anything). I mean it wasn't HARD it was just so damn boring. Especially because I have no personal attachment to any of these places so seeing the same place over and over and over in the exact same order was just... ehhh. Really wish we could have mini-checkpoints within each chapter and jump to specific spots.

Graphics wise the game is A-W-E-S-O-M-E... mostly. There's some areas that are...questionable with their choices. I also noticed that later in the game some areas backrounds looked like the old pre-rendered backgrounds. It made me go "aww that's cute". There's also huge nods to the original absolutely everywhere so I'm pretty sure I zoomed past so much nostalgic stuff.

I think the two biggest issues with the game for most people is the hallway like design reminiscent to Final Fantasy 13 (but I guess since this is FF7, it gets the free pass. I loved FF13 so FF7R was like a time capsule device back to FF13. Made me enjoy the game a lot more, if that makes any sense). And of course, plot decisions based around some interesting new things.

I personally am on the "let's see the entire project in its totality before we make any decisions on if the game is actually good or not" (plot wise). For all we know, we could be getting tricked into thinking one way when actually it's something completely different! It's kind of cool and I think many people are missing it. Imagine 23 years ago. FF7 just came out. It's fresh, you know nothing. Every moment is exciting. Now we're here at the remake. It would be so boring to just have a 1:1. Now you have certain elements introduced that make you excited again, because not knowing EXACTLY how it's going to happen beat for beat... to me that seems much more exciting than a drab and boring 1:1. Of course if they aren't careful it could turn into something completely different, but right now I'm just hyped for Part 2. I can't wait to see how they tackle the open world design, locations and story... of course, a shiny new plat is also on the list, but hey. :') I feel like after Part 2 we will have a much more clear understanding on where they are taking the story and if they are truly going to remain faithful to the original story (not that it has to be beat for beat faithful, but knowing that OK... we're starting at point A and I can see it reaching point Z, but maybe taking a different route to get there). 

As for Hard Mode in the remake, I found it to be barely more difficult than normal mode (which I played all the way through my first time). With the right setup, I ended most Hard Mode chapters with characters at 95% or more MP. I never ran out of any MP on any character at any point in my Hard Mode run. I'd say it's about a 2 or 3 out of 10 difficulty for the plat. Which I think is absolutely amazing for an RPG and I wish more RPG's had easy trophy lists instead of the mindless, boring, insane grinds that a lot of these game have. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a grind, but something like a difficulty trophy like FF7R did felt more impactful and fun than "grind this mob for 30 hours" trophies. There's minimal grinding involved if you just want the plat. I went all out and maxed out EVERY single Materia I had (some multiple times like the HP/MP up) and that took me about 5 hours to do. So you're looking at maybe 2-5 hours of grinding depending on how crazy you want to get with your Materia setups.

Remake made me want to go back to play the original and so I am. So far... I gotta say the original is cute, but shows its age massively. I'm basically playing it as a story mode game only. Using 3x speed and God Mode throughout 95% or more of the game right now to speed up the battles and running around. No-Encounter is something new I learned about as well so... using that from now on too. I still like Final Fantasy 6 a lot more than Final Fantasy 7 so far though. I liked the locations, characters and setting far more in FF6 than FF7. To me it feels like the story was solid until the characters left Midgar. Now it's just a convoluted mess and I have absolutely no idea where I'm actually supposed to be going. It feels like I'm just stumbling my way from one area to the next. The scenes in Kalm so far are the highlight of my OG FF7 experience. I need more of THAT. 

Anyways, I'd say the remake is probably a 8 or 9 out of 10. Not perfect by any means, but it's a great RPG experience. Since you probably have at LEAST a year before Part 2 comes out, I'd say it's OK to wait. You're not missing out or anything by not playing it RIGHT NOW. If you haven't already, maybe try the demo out to see if it "clicks" with you. I can tell you combat can be wonky at first to get used too, but by the end it's SO much fun to fluidly swap between all your characters and issue commands super fast. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Once I'm done with Nioh 2, I think I will play the first Bioshock, and maybe then get to FF7R. Bioshock is one of those franchises that is praised to the moon and back, but I never had the chance to play any of the games. I'm usually not into FPS, but since I got the collection from PS+, I'm really looking forward to seeing what all the fuzz is about 1f642.png

Hopefully you havent been spoiled about Bioshock yet. You'll be in for a treat.

The game is 13 years old and still holds up to be among the best FPS's I've played. The hardest difficulty is so well balanced that it was one of my favourite achievements on 360 and it didnt disappoint on PS either. 

Needless to say, especially to you, but would you kindly not use the difficulty glitch? This game is best experienced on the highest difficulty imo.

Only downside are the controls which are weird, but you'll get used to it.

• Like 2

Now don’t get too excited for Bioshock. It’s overrated imo. I didn’t care much for 1. I recently played 2 and I couldn’t wait to be done with it. The whole under water Rapture environment just wasn’t for me. But, Bioshock Infinite was great and the best of the trilogy.

Also a little opinion about FF7. This was the first game I ever played (actually it was Tekken 2 but for nostalgia reasons I claim it was FF7) and it’s my favorite JRPG ever. I was really hyped for the Remake until I played the demo. They butchered the Battle System. I couldn’t even get through it because I didn’t like it at all. I’ll probably still buy it, but only once it’s on a deep sale.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Now don’t get too excited for Bioshock. It’s overrated imo. I didn’t care much for 1. I recently played 2 and I couldn’t wait to be done with it. The whole under water Rapture environment just wasn’t for me. But, Bioshock Infinite was great and the best of the trilogy. 

Overrated? Damn. :D

At least we agree on part 2 being the worst. I barely remember anything from that game.

24 minutes ago, Mori said:

Overrated? Damn. :D

At least we agree on part 2 being the worst. I barely remember anything from that game.

Well it gets way too much praise in my opinion. I’m not saying they’re bad games, but if I need to compare Bioshock to similar franchises as Dishonored, Deus Ex & Prey; Bioshock would be at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Personally, I don't want to play a remake and find a 1:1 copy of the original, with enhanced graphics and cutscenes. I still enjoy playing the original game as it is. I still enjoy playing polygon-characters and let my imagination run wild on how the world and characters look like, how they talk, how they interact with each other. I want the remake to take inspiration from the fantastic game that is the original FFVII, and put a fresh coat of paint on it, improve upon it, make something that old fans can appreciate, while still being a game worth of having been released in 2020.

The one game I want from Square Enix that will have me jump on the wagon train is Chrono Trigger. One of the best JRPGs of all time. Honestly I would buy that ASAP if it ever got a re release with trophy support.

Earthbound would be great too, but sadly that is Nintendo property so it'll never see the light of day outside of Nintendo consoles.

Yeah I mean, it just comes down to personal preference. Final Fantasy VII (original) followed by 8 and 9 would be the games I would do if I were to start on the series. Final Fantasy X and X-2 ,while they were awesome and spectacular games back in the day, are just too long for me to bother with. Didn't care for 11, 12 was okay, didn't like 13 (Final Fantasy XIII) nor XIII-2. Definitely will not be getting Final Fantasy XV. Final Fantasy XIV is a MMO, and I avoid MMOs like the plague.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

So, very quick update... After grinding Sleepy Creek for like 4 hours, I got RedLynx to the Sword!

Good job on RedLynx to the Sword, so you're entering the final phase of the road to 100% ;) Do you know the order in which you'll be cleaning up the remaining challenges? One note on Pipe Phobia - don't be surprised if - when going on your back wheel, especially at a lower speed - your bike will suddenly lose all speed, as if the wheel hit some invisible obstacle. This is a well-known tire glitch, which happens in this game quite frequently (apparently it was already present in Trials Evolution, a predecessor to Trials Fusion, but is not so much of a problem in Trials Rising). It's not a big deal for us, casual players, but a heads-up in case it happens to you - it did to me plenty of times, as a matter of fact.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KaKrackle said:

Im still interested to know if anyone has came close to my Top Roach time yet.....many scumbags like @lilpain97 have tried to beat it.... but most fail

Hmmmm don't need to beat it because I already beat all your times on Fusion and Rising while getting 100% in under the amount of total time you put in ;) Think you're still at more time on Fusion than me ( could be me at more now ) gotta love our rivalry haha. Not hard to beat btw just trying to drop times on tracks and climb the LB.  

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

So, very quick update... After grinding Sleepy Creek for like 4 hours, I got RedLynx to the Sword! I had a lot of fun going for this trophy, especially after the snoozefest that was Speedcuber. Most tracks are really great for speedrunning, but Sleepy Creek just isn't. The track itself is not that hard, but if you miss the first skip (the swinging pipe a couple of seconds into the track), it's over. I haven't found a consistent way to get the skip, so most of my retries were due to over- or undershooting after coming out of the pipe. 

My runs at Adelopodia 9 and Extraterrestrial could be massively improved, but I didn't care enough to do so...

If you are interested, here a very professionally edited video 1f61c.png Hey, shut up! It even has timestamps in the description, ok? 1f602.png

Huuuuuuge congrats on getting the trophy!!!

53 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Good job on RedLynx to the Sword, so you're entering the final phase of the road to 100% ;) Do you know the order in which you'll be cleaning up the remaining challenges? One note on Pipe Phobia - don't be surprised if - when going on your back wheel, especially at a lower speed - your bike will suddenly lose all speed, as if the wheel hit some invisible obstacle. This is a well-known tire glitch, which happens in this game quite frequently (apparently it was already present in Trials Evolution, a predecessor to Trials Fusion, but is not so much of a problem in Trials Rising). It's not a big deal for us, casual players, but a heads-up in case it happens to you - it did to me plenty of times, as a matter of fact.

The dreaded tire glitch... Sigh that glitch ruined so many good runs for me. Had a run over 4 secs faster than my top 900 time putting my run roughly top 200 and the dreaded tire glitch happened on a fall... Safe to say I haven't bothered to go back to it lol. 

• Like 1

@Arcesius You're welcome, I'm surprised you even read it at all because I ramble on so much! I kinda wrote that down at the time and when I look back now... goodness I typed a lot! I can't go too much into comparisons from the OG vs. Remake perspective cause I just don't have a darn clue what the original entails in full yet. I can definitely say though that it took me about 6 hours to make it out of Midgar in the original vs. the almost 54 hours I put into my first run of FF7R. So... padding is DEFINITELY a thing in the remake to make it actually extend that much time. Now, is that padding actually good? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I think that's just the nature of the beast though in taking a 6 hour "prologue" and trying to turn that into a full-feature Final Fantasy game (even if it's only part 1).  ? Totally agree about FF13 too. It's not my favorite JRPG or even Final Fantasy of all time but I don't think it's unplayable garbage by any means. I recognize it's (very glaring) flaws but played it none the less. Now uh... FFXV on the other hand... I really wanted to like when I played on my Xbox. It could have been so much more. Alas... :( 

Sadly I've never gotten to play IX before. Actually, I've never played 8, 9, 10/10-2, 11 or 12 before now that I think about it. The recent sales though were sweet, I picked up almost all of them to play in the upcoming years. ?

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I have to be honest, the battle system being shit is what I'm most worried about. I haven't played the demo, but if it is even remotely similar to the battle system of FFXV then I know I won't like it. It's one thing to have particle effects all over the screen, character interactions mid-battle and what have you, but if all you're doing is holding down a button, then it's just not for me. 

I think this is pretty much hit or miss for most people. It's like a mix between... FF7, FF13 and FF15. It's not entirely turn based but it's not entirely action based either. You have the stagger bar like you did in FF13, except it doesn't go down (bless). Fill it up, stagger bosses/enemies, go all out with your hardest hitting attacks. Most regular enemies can be killed by just spamming regular attack, but a lot of them (especially later in the game) cannot AT ALL. You absolutely cannot kill the bosses (at least, quickly) without using your ATB gauge strategically. 

I didn't like the battle system at first either and was fumbling around with the controls for quite awhile, but by the end I absolutely fell in love with it and this is BY FAR my favorite Final Fantasy battle system with FF13 taking 2nd place. I think taking an objective look at the battle system is the right approach, instead of throwing it off "just because it's not OG FF7". After that hurdle you might like it more or still not like it at all. Unfortunately the demo doesn't really get to show you that very well, because as you progress in the game you unlock more materia which vastly improves your loadouts and combat options to do a lot of different strategies. You also unlock more weapons which unlock different abilities, so your combat effectiveness gets much more potent the deeper you go.

In my opinion it hits the nail on the head. Instead of just sitting there doing nothing while your ATB fills up, the game asks you to actively participate in the battles by moving, blocking, dodging to fill up your ATB, which is where 98% of your damage comes from (the ATB attacks). The difference between regular attacks and ATB attacks is huge. MUCH MUCH more so for the Limit Break attacks, which do MASSIVE damage. 

@Spaz Oh my goodness, Chrono Trigger is that one game that would instantly make me buy it. I absolutely LOVED that game. It was probably my favorite RPG back in the day next to something like Golden Sun. It's a game I can (and have) gone back to over and over again to see all the little secrets, bosses and areas. Especially on the DS. Finishing the game... then seeing those vortexes that unlocked? I think that's the first game ever where "Oh my god.. POST GAME CONTENT?!?!" clicked for me as a "must have". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilpain97 said:

Hmmmm don't need to beat it because I already beat all your times on Fusion and Rising while getting 100% in under the amount of total time you put in ;) Think you're still at more time on Fusion than me ( could be me at more now ) gotta love our rivalry haha. Not hard to beat btw just trying to drop times on tracks and climb the LB.  

Huuuuuuge congrats on getting the trophy!!!

The dreaded tire glitch... Sigh that glitch ruined so many good runs for me. Had a run over 4 secs faster than my top 900 time putting my run roughly top 200 and the dreaded tire glitch happened on a fall... Safe to say I haven't bothered to go back to it lol. 

Pfffffft Non of that matters until you beat me at Top Roach ?

Until then I reign supreme. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sword said:

@Spaz Oh my goodness, Chrono Trigger is that one game that would instantly make me buy it. I absolutely LOVED that game. It was probably my favorite RPG back in the day next to something like Golden Sun. It's a game I can (and have) gone back to over and over again to see all the little secrets, bosses and areas. Especially on the DS. Finishing the game... then seeing those vortexes that unlocked? I think that's the first game ever where "Oh my god.. POST GAME CONTENT?!?!" clicked for me as a "must have". 

It's a timeless classic. Having multiple endings really increased the replay value.

Everybody says the jump rope trophy in Final Fantasy IX is a nightmare. Has anyone here done that legit?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Oh thanks for the heads up! As for the remaining challenges... I will do the Flips on Storm Chaser and Rabbit on Frost Bite next... I think I will then alternate between Pipe Phobia and Top Roach, just depending on my mood... 

It will take a while I'm sure... As far as I know, Fat Shady never got Top Roach... any recommended sources for some pointers here and there? ?

17 hours ago, KaKrackle said:

Im still interested to know if anyone has came close to my Top Roach time yet.....many scumbags like @lilpain97 have tried to beat it.... but most fail

16 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

Both of you, put your pants back up! ?

But in all seriousness, I actually had already seen that vid, and it's quite impressive to say the least! ?

I'm curious, was that your actual first clear of the challenge, or did you go back to it to improve upon your time? Cause it gotta take balls of stainless steel to just push that hard for the first clear... 

@lilpain97 Angus tells me that you can do Top Roach consistently.. Gotta say, all of this really shows that there is no skill-ceiling in this game, it just blows my mind... Getting 100% is already quite the achievement for most (it surely will be for me), but it just goes so much further beyond that... ?

16 hours ago, Sword said:

@Arcesius You're welcome, I'm surprised you even read it at all because I ramble on so much! I kinda wrote that down at the time and when I look back now... goodness I typed a lot!

Sadly I've never gotten to play IX before. Actually, I've never played 8, 9, 10/10-2, 11 or 12 before now that I think about it. The recent sales though were sweet, I picked up almost all of them to play in the upcoming years. 1f913.png

Haha of course I read everything! ?

So you started with the XIII trilogy and XV then? Well, those are definitley waaaay different than the ones you picked up in the sales... I hope you like turn based RPGs! (Although seeing how you mentioned Chrono Trigger and Golden Sun, omg GOLDEN SUN!, you probably do :D). In any case, you got yourself countless hours of entertainment right there! I would place X-2 and VIII at the bottom of the list, but XI and X are just... fantastic games overall.  

In my opinion it hits the nail on the head. Instead of just sitting there doing nothing while your ATB fills up, the game asks you to actively participate in the battles by moving, blocking, dodging to fill up your ATB, which is where 98% of your damage comes from (the ATB attacks). The difference between regular attacks and ATB attacks is huge. MUCH MUCH more so for the Limit Break attacks, which do MASSIVE damage. 

Yeah I don't know too much about it, cause for those big titles I tend to go in blind, but I have read that regular attacks are needed in-between more devastating attacks... Depending on how they implemented it, it can either be fun, or just feel like padding... I hope it is the former ?

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Everybody says the jump rope trophy in Final Fantasy IX is a nightmare. Has anyone here done that legit?

It is difficult... The rhythm keeps changing up until you reach 300 jumps. From then on it's just about keeping the concentration for the remaining 700 jumps, but there are no sudden changes anymore. There are a couple of such trophies though... Hyper Light Drifter has one for chaining 800 consecutive dashes, for example. 

In any case, I have done it legit, and I believe @BB-BakkerJ did so too. And while somewhat frustrating, it wasn't even the worst trophy in the game. Killing 10k enemies was way, WAY worse... Took 15 hours of running around in 3x speed killing enemies in Gizamaluke's Grotto. What a waste of time. 

You planning on picking it up?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

It is difficult... The rhythm keeps changing up until you reach 300 jumps. From then on it's just about keeping the concentration for the remaining 700 jumps, but there are no sudden changes anymore. There are a couple of such trophies though... Hyper Light Drifter has one for chaining 800 consecutive dashes, for example. 

In any case, I have done it legit, and I believe @BB-BakkerJ did so too. And while somewhat frustrating, it wasn't even the worst trophy in the game. Killing 10k enemies was way, WAY worse... Took 15 hours of running around in 3x speed killing enemies in Gizamaluke's Grotto. What a waste of time. 

Not for a long time unfortunately.

I bought Spyro the Dragon trilogy along with the PS2 GTA trilogy in the April sale. Also planning to buy Freedom Cry and Assassins Creed Liberation HD. I'm pretty broke right now.

Honestly I might just do the quickest Final Fantasy game with trophy support... just to say I did a Final Fantasy game. I believe A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV is the fastest.

47 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

In any case, I have done it legit, and I believe @BB-BakkerJ did so too. And while somewhat frustrating, it wasn't even the worst trophy in the game. Killing 10k enemies was way, WAY worse... Took 15 hours of running around in 3x speed killing enemies in Gizamaluke's Grotto. What a waste of time. 

Yeah the Jump Rope minigame took me around 10 hours of practice. It’s hard. You know what also took me 10 hours of practice? Eternal Slip ?. Planning on getting back to that soon?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Oh thanks for the heads up! As for the remaining challenges... I will do the Flips on Storm Chaser and Rabbit on Frost Bite next... I think I will then alternate between Pipe Phobia and Top Roach, just depending on my mood... 

It will take a while I'm sure... As far as I know, Fat Shady never got Top Roach... any recommended sources for some pointers here and there? 1f642.png

Both of you, put your pants back up! 1f4cf.png

But in all seriousness, I actually had already seen that vid, and it's quite impressive to say the least! 1f642.png

I'm curious, was that your actual first clear of the challenge, or did you go back to it to improve upon your time? Cause it gotta take balls of stainless steel to just push that hard for the first clear... 

@lilpain97 Angus tells me that you can do Top Roach consistently.. Gotta say, all of this really shows that there is no skill-ceiling in this game, it just blows my mind... Getting 100% is already quite the achievement for most (it surely will be for me), but it just goes so much further beyond that... 1f605.png

Hahaha we said someone would say that.

That vid was his first clear for the Challenge iirc.

Yes im consistent at it. It comes naturally after a certain point because I hadn't touched Fusion in months went back and was consistent at Top Roach because my time spent on Rising ( I still obviously lose runs ) I could always livestream a tutorial like I did for Angus ( Im not the best at explaining and can tend to ramble on but yeah lol ) if you ever wanted an explanation or just seeing someone do it over and over to see bike/rider positioning ill happily stream it. Good luck for when you start your runs for Top Roach!!!

The skill gap goes 100x further than the 100%. Im grinding diamonds and there's a track that im around .200 off and keep getting stupidly close but stuffing the ending up... Looked at the LB and you need a top 80 time for the Diamond... Same goes for 2 other tracks im close to. Also NJ tracks... Black belt makes Fusion 100% look easy lol. Then you have NJ levels 7 and 8... Watch RJ or Scottah ( I think its Scottah ) they just go faaaaaaarrr beyond the skill gap.

Edited by lilpain97
  • Like 1

RJ Burger - Luscious 0 Fault

This is by far the sickest sh*t I've seen so far.

Classyfication owns probably half of the WR's and Raon GT4 is consistency in person. 

There are more high skilled players, but they amazed me the most.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

It will take a while I'm sure... As far as I know, Fat Shady never got Top Roach... any recommended sources for some pointers here and there? 1f642.png

I don't think there are many pointers when it comes to these two challenges other than watching other people's videos and trying to imitate what they're doing, unfortunately (well, it may go without saying that the Roach is easier for Pipe Phobia unless you're very experienced).

Angus tells me that you can do Top Roach consistently.. 

When it comes to consistency, it comes with practice (duh ?) and speaking for myself, on Pipe Phobia at the end I was consistent enough to get through the longest pipe section roughly 1 in 10 times (not really consistent but at the same time it only takes about 20 seconds to get there, so overall not too bad) and for Top Roach there were only three CPs that I wasn't very consistent on, the other ones were super consistent for me. That is on the Roach as the Pit Viper is super consistent on each CP and a zero fault run is very easy (a very fast zero fault run is of course harder).

Gotta say, all of this really shows that there is no skill-ceiling in this game, it just blows my mind... Getting 100% is already quite the achievement for most (it surely will be for me), but it just goes so much further beyond that... 1f605.png

Yeah, for this I don't know where to begin. I can't help but admire what various people have achieved in the Trials series. Sadly, I can't say that about myself as I've never passed anything harder than a level 2 and even certain 2s I find too hard - I guess I've never pushed myself too hard and maybe I'm too old for that game (born in '81). Still, it's super entertaining what the likes of RJ Burger, Scottah, GT4 and others have done. Unfortunately, most of the god tier players have stopped playing actively and the ninja scene in Trials Rising is almost dead, basically one serious player in it, but - incidentally - next weekend is the semi-final of the first Trials Fusion ninja tournament in more than a year and RJ is in it (he hasn't played in around a year and still almost passed the hardest level 8 [Wraith] the other week - he only choked on the very last CP, and yesterday he casually passed a very hard level 7 on stream in between tournament matches). 

I think the video below is a good comment on the skill-ceiling in Trials Fusion. By the way, the video was made by @Kevinnummer1, who must be the best ninja player and trophy hunter at the same time (though it seems that he's retired from both currently). The video showcases the greatest achievements in Trials in 2018 and then there is another video on his YT for 2019. It's a great watch and it shows quite well what this game has to offer on top of 100% ? (a zero fault run by RJ on Luscious was included in the 2019 recap video as it happend in February, if I remember correctly). Also, notice the ninja level 6 pass by Kie2K8 with 111 faults at 20:07 mark - Kie just uploaded a zero fault run on this track the other day ??

https://youtu.be/gTlY1to_s00

EDIT: What do I do to embed the video so that it shows up here?

Edited by det_gittes
  • Like 1