How difficult?

AJ_Radio

I am late to the party but I must say that Trine has slowly become one of my favorite indie game series in a long time.

The characters, the humor, the atmosphere, I just love soaking it in.

The first Trine presented a tad of a challenge in a couple places but it was fairly easy. Trine 2 on the Playstation 3 was a cakewalk, Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power was a collectahon but was also a cakewalk.

Trine 2: Complete Story looks to be in a completely different league. The levels are much more involved and longer than they were in the first game, as well as more difficult. I think this will be quite a challenge since I hear that it's quite tough later on in Hardcore Mode. In fact less than 10 percent of players have even made it to the last few levels. Maybe this game was on Playstation Plus at some point but I wasn't here to take advantage of that.

How difficult is the game? I'm aware I'm asking a pretty obvious question, but this would definitely be a nice game to add to my collection, and it would round out the series.

It was indeed on PS plus at one time. I got it back then. I consider myself an average-to-fairly-skilled gamer, and I managed to get through it, albeit with a bit of frustration here and there. If you're fond of Trine, though, I'd say go for it, since you'll probably enjoy the time spent! :)

It really isn't that tough. It uaed to be harder because missions would randomly not count as being completed and there was no way of telling which levels counted, but they have since added a method of stat tracking so the issue is only a minor annoyance if it even still occurs.

Play this game, it is a superb platformer. Skip 3 unless you are a rabid fan.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

@IntroPhenom I have not played the game yet. 

I think it’s because most people probably played no more than a hour or two before giving it up and moving on to something else. 

It definitely isn’t a game most people played through and gave up because of one trophy. Vanquish is a pretty good example. 

• Like 2

I've played the game a few times. Beating the game on on hard with hardcore mode is the blocker. It is extremely difficult. I have not been able to get very far on it. Everything else can be done with a guide or without much difficulty once you have all the skills/upgrades. Regardless of the trophies, it is a wonderful game worth experiencing. And if you have a 3D TV, the 3D is amazing. Once of the best games for 3D.

Edited by emailking

I already said this and i will say it again, i don't know why this game have an ultra rare platinum!. In fact, it was one of my easiest UR, and as you can see viewing my profile, i'm an average player.

Took me one week and a couple of days doing 2 or 3 levels per day on hardest mode. Some levels are way easier than others.
all you need for this one is patience and perseverance. Of course, some youtube guides helped too with some bosses.

Oh, and the game is pretty great.

• 1 month later...

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the levels so far. Some of the parts can be a bit tricky to figure out, but overall it's not too bad! One downside is there is no way to save progress on the individual levels, which can be problematic considering how long some of them are. If you have to quit out, you are stuck starting back at the beginning.

The odds and ends trophies aren't difficult at all, most of them just require specific powerups to be able to do. There is a nice trophy guide out there that makes it pretty easy to know where to do them and how. Plus with chapter select, that makes cleanup a breeze!

The obvious big barrier here is Harcore Mode. But like anything else, it would just take a bit of patience and perseverance to get through! I've been a fan of this series since PS3, and this particular iteration is phenomenal! I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet. 

Edited by integra_93GS-R
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The difficulty of the game isn't that bad, it's probably on par with other physics platformers. Once you get abilities like magnetic boxes and low-gravity arrows, you can skip all kinds of platforming sections.

I'm finding the real difficulty to be finding all of the experience. Even following a guide, I'm ending up with 1-2 missing in every level, which means I have to go back through the entire level to find them again. And the levels are _way_ longer than in Trine 1. At this point I'm just saving them all for the hardcore playthrough.

Edit: Revising my statement, I'm through level 13 now and this game is seriously bullshit at times. I have no idea where all the missing XP is, and even the best "complete" video walkthroughs of every pickup are utterly unhelpful and incomplete. There is so much "diarrhea Christmas lights" on screen that I'm getting an actual migraine from all the neon. The XP pickups are basically indistinguishable from the background!

Edited by PhyrxianLibrarin
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to this game.

I thought the orbs from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West were bad, but these experience pickups in Trine 2: Complete Story topple those as being some of the worst. Extremely missable. Had to replay a few levels already to find the last one or two experience pickups.

Otherwise, this is a pretty decent puzzle platformer. Not my favorite, but a pretty solid one with gorgeous scenery. Platinum trophy is by far the hardest to get in the series. All of the others, including the original Trine on the PS3, are far easier in comparison.

Well, I have to rant.

Hardcore Mode is a right fucking pain in the arse, and I don't mean that lightly. One mistake and you're back to the beginning. It's like Super Meat Boy and Max Payne 3 all over again, except those games were even harder.

You can get 14 - 15 ultra rares out of the North American version of Trine 2: Complete Story with little effort and skill. Collectibles are annoying, some of the worst I've come across, but they are plenty doable, and the in-game tracker helps tremendously.

Hardcore is a whole nother beast, and basically the make it or break it trophy as I'm sure the trophy community here has heard at least once.

Been stuck on Level 12 for hours. The so called 'Hard' difficulties in both the original Trine and Trine: Enchanted Edition are piss easy compared to Hardcore in Trine 2: Complete Story.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...