Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I'm going to take a break from some events for a bit so I can clean up some of the stuff in my backlog. Most events don't allow DLC only playthroughs to count, so I'll never be able to finish TLOU2 or KH3 or AHIT if I keep signing up for stuff. Once those beasts are slain, I'll be back in the saddle!

I've heard a rumor that someone is going to run an event based around finishing DLCs soon. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 11:52 PM, Spacey Dweeb said:

I've heard a rumor that someone is going to run an event based around finishing DLCs soon. 

oh please be true lol I have all of the DLC's purchased....just haven't had the time/motivation to actually play them yet.

Platinum #157

4xG1Ipj.png

Dragon Age 2

With the Dragon Age: Origins platinum officially popped, it was time to start Dragon Age 2. I had mostly enjoyed DA: O so had high hopes for DA 2 and by and large, I was not disappointed. It had the potential to be a disaster to be honest. One thing that made the Mass Effect series so great, was the fact you got to continue the story with the same characters and was able to get emotionally invested over several games. While I mostly enjoyed Mass Effect: Andromeda, I know a lot of people thought it wasn't a real ME game and were largely disappointed. This game was created in a similar mold to ME: A. The story takes place shortly after the conclusion of DA: O, however you no longer play as the Warden. You play as Hawke (who can be either male or female...I was male), who is fleeing the Ferelden Kingdom after the recently ended Blight, having lost everything. He and his family flee to the city of Kirkwall, attempting to return to the land of his mother and restart their lives.

At first, I had the 'ughh' kind of feeling since I wouldn't be following the same characters. It seemed dumb to import a save where none of the characters would be involved. I also didn't love the initial look at combat system right away either. The camera felt a bit choppy and the combat didn't feel as fluid. This game suffered from framerate issues that I didn't recall in the first entry. I played as a rogue again since I always play as a rogue when I can, and after getting through the Prologue I was a little worried. Turns out my worry was unfounded. They did a really good job, as Bioware has done in the their games I've played, of creating a lot of quests around developing the characters. By the end of the game, I really enjoyed the new cast of characters. While none of the characters you played in DA: O are playable in DA 2, apparently a lot of people fled the Ferelden Kingdom after the Blight because you do run into a lot of familiar faces. I ended up really enjoying the cameos and how they weaved what happened in the Ferelden Kingdom into the fabric of what was going on in Kirkland.

So, I've started this review kind of scattered....let's step back. I wasn't sure I'd get into a story that didn't seem like it was going to be a progression, however after having played the game, I think they did a really good job making it seem pretty organic. After the blight was defeated at the end of DA: O, one would kind of wonder what is next....and they took the next most interesting story line from the first one and expanded on it here. Throughout the first game, there was an undercurrent of the escalating problem of the mages and the templars. There was a major quest in the first game that introduced you to the age old struggle of the mages and templars, but it wasn't explored much beyond needing them to battle the blight. This game takes that controversy and expands upon it....which actually makes a lot of sense in terms of story telling. After the crescendo of the blight and mankind uniting against a common evil, people are able to settle back into their old habits prior to the catastrophic events. The mages vs templars has been bubbling up for centuries and it comes to a head in this game. As Hawke, you are caught in the middle of it at what will be ground zero for I'm sure happens in Dragon Age: Inquisition. This story is very much an 'Empire Strikes Back' kind of story....it picks up after what could have been a stand-alone story and expands upon it. The cool thing about the story, is you can make up your own mind about which group you wish to support. Are the mages too dangerous and need to be kept in check by the templars? Or are the templars taking it too far and are all the mages being held responsible for the bad decisions of a few? If you choose to use an imported save, it carries your decisions from the first game and there are some consequences (minor) in the story based on what happened. While a trophy makes it so that you have to back each faction at least once, my cannon in this series has been to support the mages, and on my complete playthrough that will carry over to Inquisition, that's who I chose to support.

The graphics seemed slightly better, but nothing major. It was pretty much the same aesthetic as the first game. I did like what they chose to do with the map though. Instead of the game taking place over a large area of country, the vast majority of the game takes place within the city of Kirkwall. You are able to travel to a few places just outside the city, but virtually the whole game takes place in the city. You cycle between day time and night time in order to do certain missions and it was kind of a neat idea to keep the story so isolated. While it was a little annoying that the same areas were used over and over as far as battles go, I give them credit for taking a risk and keeping it all in one spot. The game gets split up into 3 acts, with each act lasting about a year and then about 3 years in between acts. I'm not sure why they chose to put so much time in between each acts....it seemed to make the drama last a lot longer than I think it normally would have. They could have just made it a year between acts and it would have made more sense in my mind, but that is a small complaint in the grand scheme of things.

While the battle system was different in the sense they got rid of auto-attack, so there was a lot more button mashing, the rest of the battle system was pretty similar. You level up and select abilities from different styles of attacking. It lets you customize your character quite a bit, and with 3 different job types that you can choose from, there really is a lot of replayability should you wish to play the game through more than once. If you were to play this game without a guide, you would most definitely need several playthroughs in order to platinum this game. While the game itself was a lot of fun and I liked it very much....the trophy list is one of the worst I've ever tried to get. There are so many missables and so many of the missables are stupidly missable.

The dumbest of the missable trophies is for reading all 4 codex entries about the Chantry. One of the entries is in Act 1, two in Act 2 and one in Act 3. The one that makes this really stupid is one of the ones in Act 2. One of the entries is only available during one quest, and the codex entry is only accessible during a battle. You can't get it before or after the battle since the battle is sandwiched between cutscenes. You can't interact with objects during a fight, however there is a brief pause in between waves, and you need to grab the codex entry in the few seconds break you have in between waves or that trophy is missed. You cannot redo quests, unless you saved before hand and you cannot redo Acts once you've moved on. If you missed something in Act 1....well you better hope you have a save or you are shit out of luck and will need to replay the game. This happened to me with the Supplier trophy for getting all of the craftable items in the game. I missed one in Act 1, which was really frustrating because I counted the ones I got before going to Act 2 and just miscounted. Fortunately, I kept a save from the end of each chapter before doing the quest of no return and was able to shed about 14 hours off of my replay. I had realized my error as I was checking my craftable items before going to Act 3. I had read that you could buy any missed craftables from a previoius chapter at the 'Black Emporium' (a DLC store in game), but that it may not work for the trophy....well for me, the missed craftable didn't even show up in the store so I had to replay from the end of Act 1 on. I skipped all the text and was able to do it in about 10 hours or so....but that was super frustrating.

What makes the Supplier trophy so annoying, is it forces you to play the game a certain way to achieve. In DA 2, you can deny people from joining your party or they can get pissed at you and leave depending on some choices you make....but the problem is some of the craftable items are trapped behind quests related to the different characters. If that character isn't in your party, you do not get the quest and therefore cannot get the craftable item. For example, Isabella (who was who I romanced) has to be in your party in Act 3 because the craftable item Ambrosia is only available in her companion quest. If you don't play the game in a way that she wants to join/stay in your party, then you miss this trophy. The same is said for Fenris, Merrill and Anders. There are craftable items that can only be found in companion quests related to them and if any of them leave your party, you miss this trophy. For people who don't go for the platinum, it's no big deal...but if you want the platinum you either have to play this game several times to make sure you do it right, or follow a guide to make sure you make the necessary choices so that they join/stay in your party. I really don't like it when RPG games make it necessary to follow a guide throughout the whole game to get trophies. Having said that...guides are really good these days at removing most spoilers and just give the bare minimum information needed.

In my playthrough, I did every quest possible to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I always made sure that I did or said what I thought was needed to get my companions to stay with me. The cool thing is that once you maxed out their 'Friend' or 'Rival' points, they stayed there. So if I maxed out Isabella's friend stat to where she was a 'friend', I could do things to piss her off and it wouldn't change her friend status. That made it a little easier to worry less about the things I did or said once I got to that point...but it was annoying to have to do that in the first place.

I thought the DLC entries were ok. They weren't necessary to the overall story, but they weren't terribly long and were interesting enough to make them worth playing. I thought it was interesting that in both of the added DLC's, there were pretty complicated puzzles when nowhere else in the game was there a single puzzle that needed to be solved. They required a bit of thought, but wasn't anything ridiculous and didn't need to be done in order to finish the DLC's, but the one in Mark of the Assassin is required for a trophy.

Overall, this was a very worthy addition to the series and I had a lot of fun playing it. The humor from the banter between your companions is classic and there was a lot of humor interjected throughout the story as well. When it made sense, I almost always picked the funny/sarcastic response. Isabella and Varric tended to appreciate those, but they also made the game a lot funnier as well. To that end, the voice acting was quite good in the game. I was convinced that the person that voiced the Male Hawke character was the same person who voiced Jonathan Reid from Vampyr, however it wasn't. They sound exactly the same though lol and oddly enough, the dude that voice Reid did voice a character in DA: I.

The game came out 10 years ago, so odds are if you wanted to play it you would have by now, but if this game gets the same remaster treatment that ME did, I would definitely recommend playing it. I'm not sure it's worth the money you would have to pay on the PS3 store right now, but the game was good and worth playing.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I couldn't read the game review after reading through the first paragraphs. I... really am sorry to hear what you and your siblings had to experience. I can't even begin to imagine how it must have been for you 20 years ago, but I can definitely feel how it must be for you today, having kids of your own now. 

I don't want to talk too much about my own experience, but I haven't spoken with my dad in over 20 years now. He never cared for me, and let's just say the last time I saw him was in court. I never cared for this either, I have a wonderful mum with whom I moved to Switzerland, and never thought about the lack of care from my father. Having a son now... yeah, I understand where your thoughts are coming from.

Experiencing now what your father experienced many years ago with you and your siblings raises many questions which, unfortunately, will remain unanswered. What you can do is to keep loving your kids as much as you do, and be the best dad to them you can be :) 

All the best for you and your family! I hope your spirit brightens quickly again :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Briste said:

It's been exactly a month since I put any kind of updates here. It's been a kind of existential month for me....going to get a bit personal for a bit so if you are just interested in the game review skip down below. 

Yeah, I pretty much did the opposite.

You'll hear from me, and you'll know where to find me if shit hits the fan again dude. That's all I have to say at the moment, but a simple click on an arrow seemed too cheap to me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Probably not easy to share something so personal, but the message is worth it. Thumbs up and all the best for the both / four of you.

Thanks. I've found throughout my life that it is good therapy to speak openly about what I'm thinking or feeling. My honesty is not always appreciated the first go round, but people have come to trust what I say to them because I'll be honest with them, even when it's hard. If sharing my experiences can help someone in someway, it's all worth it to me.

19 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I couldn't read the game review after reading through the first paragraphs. I... really am sorry to hear what you and your siblings had to experience. I can't even begin to imagine how it must have been for you 20 years ago, but I can definitely feel how it must be for you today, having kids of your own now. 

Honestly, the whole thing was surreal anyways. He died on 9/13/01...two days after 9/11 so everything was a blur. The proximity to 9/11 was what made things even harder for my brother. He was a freshman in college down in Florida and had a hell of a time trying to get home for the funeral. I never knew this, but he apparently had to connect in 8 or 9 different airports to try and get home. I also learned that my mother wouldn't tell him how it happened. She had just told him our father had died and to get home...those few days really messed him up. What made the whole thing really hard to swallow at the time, was that just a few weeks prior, we had been at my father's house having a good time. We were watching fireworks off of his dock and eating some fish on the grill that we had caught earlier in the day. My dad was telling us what a good time he had and how we'd need to do it again the following summer when we were back from college. According to my Uncle, my father knew then that he was going to commit suicide...we couldn't figure out why my father would lead us on that we would have a better future and it was a real mind fuck at the time. As I said in my post, it took some time, but I had grieved and come to terms with everything....just felt odd to grieve all over again recently. My kids ask about him often and I haven't decided what age they are going to be when I tell them the truth about him...

19 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I don't want to talk too much about my own experience, but I haven't spoken with my dad in over 20 years now. He never cared for me, and let's just say the last time I saw him was in court. I never cared for this either, I have a wonderful mum with whom I moved to Switzerland, and never thought about the lack of care from my father. Having a son now... yeah, I understand where your thoughts are coming from.

I'm sorry....we're at about the same stage in life with you being a newer father as well and I feel for you man...it's got to be every bit as hard knowing that he's out there somewhere and just doesn't give a damn. We just have to be better...the bar is low lol but it sounds like we both have the proper motivation to do so :)

13 hours ago, Jens said:

You'll hear from me, and you'll know where to find me if shit hits the fan again dude. That's all I have to say at the moment, but a simple click on an arrow seemed too cheap to me.

Thank you my friend...I swear I haven't been absent on purpose :) Just been distracted. I can assure you that I am really ok and this reflective period I've been going through has only strengthened my convictions. It's kind of funny....if my father didn't do what he did....would I still be the same person? Did that hardship soften me and make me a more empathetic person? I keep coming back to the idea from The Matrix that there is no spoon...as terrible as that was, I'm very happy with the person I am today and I can't say I would be able to say the same if I hadn't endured a tragedy like that....bah who knows lol

Thanks for the support all, it is very appreciated that I can come and vent and have a supportive community :)

• Like 2

Might not have been easy to open up like that on this forum, the fact that you used this chapter of your life to try to be a better person for your kids is admirable tho, it's something to be proud of. Wishing all the best to you, your siblings, your kids and the rest of your family. ?

• Like 3

On 10/22/2021 at 0:24 PM, PlutoRico said:

Might not have been easy to open up like that on this forum, the fact that you used this chapter of your life to try to be a better person for your kids is admirable tho, it's something to be proud of. Wishing all the best to you, your siblings, your kids and the rest of your family. 1f64f.png

Thanks for the kind words :) I appreciate it!

So to bring it all back to the reason I started this thread, the gaming journey. Now that I have finished the Dragon Age series, I'm going to take some time to finish up all of these unfinished games littering my page. The DLC event is a perfect excuse to knock out about four or five of them. I had decided to start with Maneater since it was the game I enjoyed the least of my DLC eligible games and it was a shitty way to start off the event. Everything was going fine until I went to unlock the trophy Fan Fare for eating all of the 'Questers'. The DLC makes fun of conspiracy theorists and this trophy is for eating several people wearing a tinfoil hat. After I killed the last one, I was expecting to here the underwhelming PS5 dingish noise that the new trophy sound is and crickets....no pop. No problem, must've missed one. Went back around and nope...all of them gone. Decided to actually check the forum about it to see if it was common and yep...this DLC is a steaming hot pile of garbage. Tons of people with glitched trophies with apparently no rhyme or reason to them being glitched. I did read about a workaround that involves replaying the entire game on a blank account account offline, then deleting my profile from the PS5 and signing into the blank account with my login name...that seems to fix the broken trophies...but I really don't want to play this game again quite yet...The bad news is, that one trophy glitching apparently glitched all the rest of them because none of the remaining trophies popped after that one glitched. I completely finished the DLC, just have nothing to show for it. Kind of wish I checked the game page before starting with this one....but at least there is a workaround if Tripwire Interactive doesn't get their shit together. I'll probably leave it alone for a bit, to see if they come up with a fix without me replaying it.

After that debacle, I've started up A Hat In Time's two DLC's. It's been three years since I fired this game up and I am a bit rusty. I'm also rediscovering that I'm not terribly good at 3D platformers...much better at the 2D variety. It's not quite like riding a bike, but the controls are coming back to me. So far so good with the trophy popping at least for this one...after beating Hat Kid DLC's I'm either going to bite the bullet and do KH3 next or TLOU2, which I enjoyed much more...probably will save TLOU2 for last. Technically I have some Genshin Impact DLC's I could try to complete, but that is going to be a long term project game.

Since I won't probably have many Plat's popping while I'm chasing down these DLC's, I was thinking of doing a 'clip show' and doing some rankings. I'm thinking of doing a post that ranks my groups of 10 from the OP. So far I have almost 16 groups of ten....going to look at each of them and rank which group was my best ten game set to date. It's going to be pretty challenging because a quick look at them all and there's a lot of good games mixed into each group.

So I know I said less than 24 hours ago that it'd probably be a while before I got another platinum due to the DLC event, well I lied. There's a couple of games I want to get done ahead of the PS3 event coming to an end next week. So with that in mind....

Platinum #159

9RYs9MK.png

Zone of the Enders HD Edition

This was a game that I got as a part of PS+ two or three years ago and is another game I had never heard of. It wasn't one that was really on my radar, but with the PS3 event I'm participating in, it is one of the few remaining games that I have in my PS3 backlog so I wanted to get to it. I decided to start it while redoing the Jaws of Hakkon DLC from Dragon Age: Inquisition on Nightmare difficulty since I needed a game I could get some quick trophies in to keep my streak alive (I'm up to 344 days in a row with a trophy :o). For some reason I thought that this game was an RPG, but it's actually a hack n' slash game that was probably the inspiration for the movie Pacific Rim. I haven't seen that movie yet, but I know it involves people driving giant robots that fight stuff. I wasn't in any rush to beat this game because I had thought the PS3 event went until the end of the year, but when I went to post my DA: I update, I saw that it actually ends on Novermber 1st. Since there is only a week left to the event, I wanted to finish this and the surprise second game that came with the HD Edition. With regards to the HD Edition, I had no idea that 1) Zone of the Enders had a sequel or 2) that it was included with this PS+ game...but Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD Edition is also included. Bonus! I'll be trying to finish that game this week ahead of the end of the event.

Anyways, as I mentioned, I had never heard of this game and didn't know what to expect. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the game. It originally came out on the PS2, so I was expecting some pretty retro things to come with it and it didn't disappoint. The graphics had an Atari Arcade game feel to them. I don't know why, but it reminded me of a cross between Missile Command and Star Fox...I can't really defend that, but those were two games I thought of when I was playing. The voice acting was predictably pretty bad (in a good, nostalgic kind of way) and the controls and camera work really did bring me back to the beginnings of 3D gaming. Despite the fact what I just wrote might sound like it's dripping with sarcasm or contempt, it was actually pretty enjoyable. That's not to say there wasn't some extreme moments of frustration due to some of the trophy requirements...but for the most part, the game was really well done. I ran into no glitches and everything was pretty smooth.

The story wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. You play as a teenage boy named Leo, who lives in a town that is under attack from giant robots. Some are controlled by humans that are wearing them and some are droids. While trying to hide/get to safety when his town is under attack, he climbs into one of these robots and is all of a sudden controlling one. He is not a hardened soldier and shows a lot of empathy with the decisions he makes. The program, ADA, is very logical and tries to get Leo to complete the mission that the robot suit was created for and Leo is thrust into a battle to save the world. Along the way, Leo decides to save the towns that are under attack, much to the chagrin of ADA. This part of the game is where the biggest frustration comes in. There is a trophy called Damage Control that requires you to get an 'A Rank' on all of the rescue missions. In order to get an 'A Rank', you need to play the game on Hard difficulty, keep the damage done to the city that is under attack under 10%, and save all of the citizens without any casualties. It's not that bad once you figure out the order to attack the enemy, but it can be frustrating during the learning process. Basically there are enemies that roam and some that stand sentry. You can mostly ignore the sentry ones since they don't really do anything until you engage them. But the ones that roam, they cause structural damage and can destroy a building with citizens inside. If any of the citizens die, you need to quit out to the main menu and reload the save. You can't use a continue if you are also looking to get the Valedictorian trophy for getting an overall grade of an A. It's really easy to cause damage by accident and if you select the wrong group of robots to attack first, citizens die pretty easy as well. It took me several tries in each area to figure out a route that worked.

If anyone does plan on playing this game, I'll give you a hint to spare you a ton of frustration on the 2nd rescue mission. The first boss fight is in the same zone as the 2nd rescue mission, and the damage done during the boss fight carries over to that rescue mission. It does mention that in the guide, but what the guide does not tell you is that you should exit the zone right after killing the boss. Once you kill the boss, there are like 5 or 6 groups of robots that patrol the zone and your instinct is that you need to clear them out before you can leave the area....this is not true. You can leave the area right after killing the boss and keep your damage percentage in the zone to a minimum so that when you come back to this zone later in the game, you are much more likely to keep the damage percentage under 10%. I ended up beating it with 9.6% damage done so only beat it by the hair of my chinny chin chin. What was super annoying, was that you fight this boss, then do a couple of other areas, including another rescue mission before you attempt this second one. I tried like ten times to get the damage less than 10% and every time it was up around 20%. It is impossible to keep the damage under 10% if you do not leave the zone right after beating the first boss.

It was a quick game, probably took me about 6-8 hours to beat. That's including watching all the cut-scenes and replaying the first 30 minutes or so because I missed a trophy for attacking some enemies before you're supposed to. While it definitely doesn't age well compared to the stuff we are playing today, it was a fun, quick little game that was definitely worth the 'free' cost of a PS+ game. Hopefully the second entry is more of the same.

• Like 3

That’s quite a story you’ve written up about your past life and your father. 

I don’t like a lot of children. Now it’s commonplace for parents to automatically regard me as an asshole, but truthfully I don’t like kids in general. I personally don’t believe in the “you need to be a parent to see where I’m coming from” line that a lot of parents out there like to throw on people. It seems to be this unpardonable sin, because in the past I had to explain this to countless parents out there on Facebook and Twitter on why I don’t like a lot of kids. They blocked me anyway, so much for healthy conversation.

What does hit me is your past life with your father. Our fathers more often than not shape who we are as human beings. Not having a father figure greatly disturbs and hurts the child. I’ve had many friends in the past who were physically abused, beaten, raped and verbally talked down. Usually by their father or their uncle. They didn’t have a caring father, and some have even told me they didn’t have a father because he never cared for his children. Abuse in the family is always disheartening to hear about. 

It’s very sad to hear what happened to your father. We all want a father figure growing up as kids. My father was grateful and thankful, trying to care for his children because his own father never cared about him. 

We generally never know what is going on with someone who takes their own life. That puts a strain and tragedy in the family that will be felt for a very long time.

In these hard times we’re living in, we have to stay strong and look forward. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I don’t like a lot of children. Now it’s commonplace for parents to automatically regard me as an asshole, but truthfully I don’t like kids in general. I personally don’t believe in the “you need to be a parent to see where I’m coming from” line that a lot of parents out there like to throw on people. It seems to be this unpardonable sin, because in the past I had to explain this to countless parents out there on Facebook and Twitter on why I don’t like a lot of kids. They blocked me anyway, so much for healthy conversation.

Children can be a challenge for sure. It's kind of weird how I can tolerate some stuff that other kids do, but not when my kids do it and there's a lot of things my kids do that I can tolerate that'd bother me if it was someone else's kids. I don't think not liking kids necessarily makes someone an asshole off the bat...they consume a lot of energy and it's very tiring. Having said that though, there is an innocence and true joy that they have that kind of gives you hope for society sometimes. At some point, virtually everyone one becomes a cynical asshole to some extent and that 'wonder' is gone. 

While I can appreciate that you don't believe in the 'you need to be a parent to see where I'm coming from' line, however actually having a kid adds a perspective that you can't have until you have kids. You'll never understand that fear that comes with having a child if you don't have a child. I wasn't really afraid of much in life until I had children....now I'm constantly on alert about shit. I've found most times in life when I've gone into something with preconceived notions of what will happen, I've been completely wrong and learned something. Before I had kids, I had a very specific idea of how I was going to raise my kids. That went right the eff out the window once I was actually put in the position of a parent.

My college baseball coach used to say that you don't know that you don't know that you don't know. The first step is to know that you don't know that you don't know and those that are really successful turn those don't knows into knows. Of course he was talking about baseball....but I've found in most things in life it's amazing what I don't know that I didn't know that I could know. Say that last sentence three times fast....It's convoluted, but I think is a good mantra to live by. If you don't go into a situation thinking you may have something to learn, then you won't. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Briste said:

Children can be a challenge for sure. It's kind of weird how I can tolerate some stuff that other kids do, but not when my kids do it and there's a lot of things my kids do that I can tolerate that'd bother me if it was someone else's kids. I don't think not liking kids necessarily makes someone an asshole off the bat...they consume a lot of energy and it's very tiring. Having said that though, there is an innocence and true joy that they have that kind of gives you hope for society sometimes. At some point, virtually everyone one becomes a cynical asshole to some extent and that 'wonder' is gone. 

While I can appreciate that you don't believe in the 'you need to be a parent to see where I'm coming from' line, however actually having a kid adds a perspective that you can't have until you have kids. You'll never understand that fear that comes with having a child if you don't have a child. I wasn't really afraid of much in life until I had children....now I'm constantly on alert about shit. I've found most times in life when I've gone into something with preconceived notions of what will happen, I've been completely wrong and learned something. Before I had kids, I had a very specific idea of how I was going to raise my kids. That went right the eff out the window once I was actually put in the position of a parent.

My college baseball coach used to say that you don't know that you don't know that you don't know. The first step is to know that you don't know that you don't know and those that are really successful turn those don't knows into knows. Of course he was talking about baseball....but I've found in most things in life it's amazing what I don't know that I didn't know that I could know. Say that last sentence three times fast....It's convoluted, but I think is a good mantra to live by. If you don't go into a situation thinking you may have something to learn, then you won't. 

I have a very young niece and nephew that I have to look after on occasion. They are downright spoiled, living in a very well to do home in an urban neighborhood with people who are financially well off. We're talking a neighborhood that is impossible to live in unless you have at least a Masters Degree or a Doctorate. My sister is in her 40s so she is the same age as you, graduated high school back in the late 90s, graduated from university in the early 2000s before moving on to graduate school.

There is the neglected child, the one who never got financial support and grew up in a very poor setting. My uncle's girlfriends kid was like this. He was abused and mentally disturbed. He is now 25 years old, and last I heard of him he was arrested for drug possession. Someone that I watched get beaten and thrown around back when he was in the first grade and second grade.

So even not being a parent, as guardian and babysitter I've had to do parental duties because well, that's what you have to do. I've been paid a little nice sum of money for it, just like my old babysitter did decades ago.

You need a balance, but furthermore your partner needs to be on the same level as you. I've had many girlfriends in the past, some of them were nice, others weren't so nice. But just about all of them, after our relationship developed for a few months, I knew deep down that they would not be proper parents. It might be an age thing, because I find a lot of girls in the 18 - 25 age range to be very immature, misunderstanding and overly self entitled, all on top of being inexperienced. Sometimes it isn't age, it's the person themselves.

Loving your partner, caring for her and making sure she is on the same level needs to happen before you start to think about having children. So far, I haven't reached that in life.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

Platinum #160

6utxXXc.png

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD Edition

This was a surprise game....in that it was a surprise that I even owned it. When I went to start the first Zone of the Enders game, I saw that there were two games to choose from on the menu. I mean the PS+ game did say Zone of the Enders Collection, but it never dawned on me that it was multiple games. After beating the first one, I liked it enough to just continue on to the second installment right away. They both seemed like fun, quick games and it was something I could use after the marathon that was Dragon Age: Inquisition. ZotE 2 did everything I liked in the first game and just improved upon it. It wasn't perfect, but there were a lot of improvements made from the first one.

The graphics were better, the fighting was smoother and the story was much more fleshed out (not that this game had some deep story, but it was just much deeper than the first one). As the title of the game indicates, you play as a new 'runner' named Dingo. I had a real hard time taking a guy named Dingo seriously throughout the game lol I kept imagining Elaine from Seinfeld saying "Maybe the Dingo ate your baby". Anyway, this game involves a lot more story cutscenes than the prior entry. I haven't watched a ton of Anime in my life, but this seemed like a pretty stereotypical Anime storyline. You play a righteous former soldier of BAHRAM who is out for revenge after his unit was left to die. Mix in your standard Waifu named Ken, a little bit of treachery and a psychotic bad guy and you have your story. While it is pretty shallow, they do spend a lot of time fleshing out and providing backstory for a lot of the characters. Not that you get super attached to them, but I appreciated the effort.

While there are tons of different weapons to use, I would melee 85% of the time and you can jump that up to 95% in NG+ once you get access to Jehuty V2. The 'warp' ability is pretty fun and broken. It is an entertaining hack n' slash game. I wish I spent more time trying some of the other weapons though, but the melee was pretty mindless and I tended to play this game quite a bit while I was watching TV and/or working so I appreciated the mindless. The only weapon I really used other than melee was Homing Missile and a handful of other weapons when forced to during different missions. Without the cutscenes, the game is quite short...you can get through it in less than 2 hours. It has a handful of missions and several boss fights. The boss fights could get a little frustrating since it wasn't always clear how you needed to beat the boss right away and the targeting in this game was not terribly good. It was the weakest part of the game by far.

Generally speaking it is fine. The default is to autotarget the next closest enemy after killing the current one you are attacking. You can switch to a different target by tapping L2. One problem I found is that trying to change the camera angle with R3 would also change your target...sometimes. To get rid of the autotarget, you had to hold the L2 button down for a couple of seconds. There are a few missions where you need to do this and then try and target friendly characters to try and mark them to be healed. It is really clumsy attempting to toggle back and forth between enemy and friendly targets. You are just as likely to attack friendlies as you are to attack an enemy. This is especially frustrating when going for a couple of the trophies. For two trophies, you need to get an SS ranking on a mission, which means you have to do the missions perfectly. In one, you need to make sure there is no damage to the buildings, no civilians die and no LEVs are destroyed. In the other, you have to make sure no LEVs are destroyed, which sounds easier, but there are like a thousand enemies and the map is ginormous....The targeting makes these missions hard...the fact that the LEVs in the first one have no regard for human life also makes that one hard....I tried for like 30 mins on NG to get the SS ranking and just got too frustrated and figured I'd try on NG+. NG+ wasn't that much easier...those dickhead LEVs in the first mission kept damaging buildings and I had to kill all of the enemies almost immediately after they spawned or the LEVs would mess up the run.

Other than those two trophies though, the rest of the list isn't too bad. There's really not too much more to say, it's a fun little game that I got for free. If you got it free and still have a PS3 to play, I definitely recommend playing them.

• Like 1

Thank the Jeebus....with the added motivation of the DLC event, I have started to go back and finish off some DLC. I started a few weeks back with Maneater and The Truth Quest DLC pack. This DLC was more of the same from the regular game, however I wish I had checked the gaming page before starting the DLC because apparently there are several glitchy trophies. For me, six of them did not pop ? Everything was popping as normal and then I decided to finish up the Fan Fare trophy for killing all of the 'Questers'. In order to do this, you have to leave the DLC area as some of the questers are in areas from the main game. Well, after killing all of the questers, the trophy did not pop so I assumed I missed one. I figured I'd clean it up after finishing some more stuff....well once that trophy did not pop, none of the remaining trophies popped for me. It is super annoying that this happened since I didn't particularly like the game much to start with and this DLC was overpriced at $15. 

After I had this issue, I of course checked around and saw this was a known issue so shame on me. I did see that the publisher, Tripwire, was looking for feedback from people that had this happen so I made a support case with them. I got a generic response that gave me solutions to the PS4 version....I replied that I'm playing the PS5 version so that won't help and got a generic 'we're looking into it'....The good news is that there is apparently a work around, the bad news is that the workaround involves playing the entire game over on a blank account and then logging into that account from my PSN account...I really don't want to have to play this whole game all over again since it wasn't very good. I figure I'll let Tripwire do another update to see if that fixes things. If it does great, if not, I'll bite the bullet to get it done. Shitty start to the DLC event, but what are you going to do?

I tell you what you're going to do! You're going to move onto the next DLC game, which for me was A Hat In Time and the Seal the Deal and Nyakuza Metro DLC's. I played AHiT back in 2018 and I remember mostly enjoying it however having a few extremely frustrating trophies to try and get. It took a little to get a hang of the controls again and I started with the Nyakuza Metro DLC. This was mostly straightforward and I kind of enjoyed the area. This area mirrored the main game and was a great place to start to get a hang of things again.

The real pain in the ass here is in the Seal the Deal DLC. Holy Shitballs was this hard. The new level wasn't terribly hard and was pretty short. The hardest trophy for the new zone itself is a trophy for doing a bunch of fetch quests for the captain without pissing him off. He's pretty quick to get pissed and it took me about ten tries to be able to do it. This trophy is somewhat RNG based as it is random which fetch quests you are given. Sometimes they are far away from each other and it's very important to learn the layout of the boat to get to them pretty quickly. After a handful of attempts, you'll learn the boat and it's really not that bad. The true terror of this DLC is the I Refuse to Die! trophy for completing all of the Death Wish requests.

So the Death Wish requests are a series of tasks you need to complete that are given to you by the Snatcher, who is a boss from the main game. Each area has a handful of 'contracts' and each 'contract' has 3 tasks to do. One is the main task and two are bonus and to finish the DLC you need to finish all of the tasks. The good news is that they added an 'assist' mode that adds four hearts to your character and makes it so that completing the main task also gives you credit for the other two bonus tasks. The difficulty is upped to the 9's and I have absolutely no idea how anybody would be able to beat all of this without the assist mode. In addition to the extra hearts and fewer tasks to do, you also regen hearts by standing still for a about five seconds or so and the requirements are lessened. For example, if normal mode says you need to complete an area in five minutes, assist mode might give you seven or eight minutes. I was going to add a video from the last 14 seconds that is recorded when you win a trophy from my last battle vs the Snatcher, but it started recording right after I beat him. That is one CHAOTIC fight. It took me a dozen tries to get him and I almost choked. I could see the last two hits I needed to win. I had 5 health left and got over excited since I had never gotten that far. Thankfully, I was able to get it done.

I am very conflicted about this game....like 75% of the game is a lot of fun, but the 25% that isn't fun really, really isn't fun. One of the 'tasks' involves getting four time pieces without jumping. A platforming game that is requiring you to beat levels without jumping....fun. One of them has to be this train level that is pretty hard with jumping let alone without it. You have like 3 minutes to blow through the level, with all sorts of chaos going on and you can't jump. Thankfully, there are checkpoints that you can continue from. Without those, there's only a handful of people that could probably beat it. The beefed up boss fights are also insane. If you have some time, just go watch someone do the 'Seal the Deal' challenge boss fight. It's insane how good some people are. My biggest gripe with the game is the camera. You can't look up or down while moving....you can look left and right...but up and down zooms in and out instead of looking up or down. The fact that left and right will move left and right also means you may accidentally slightly zoom in or out if you're slightly off with pressing left or right. The other super annoying thing is that clicking L3 brings up a sticker menu....because lord knows you need a hot key to access your stickers in a platforming game. I can't tell you how many times, especially during the 'no jump' runs, that I accidentally clicked L3 while trying to quickly change direction and had the sticker menu pop up only to plummet to my death when exiting the menu. It is incredibly stupid to have and I couldn't find any way to shut it off.

It's a bummer that the frustrating parts are so frustrating, because I'd like to recommend the game since it plays a bit like Mario 64 and has a lot of fun aspects too it...but I got so pissed off so many times playing this game. That would be fine if it was a good kind of frustrating, but it was due to things like bad camera angles and some weird glitches. I got stuck in several walls and had to exit out of levels and/or die to get out. When the margin for error is so small, those issues can cause a major headache. I'm happy to be done with AHiT and I hope they are all done with DLC going forward.

Next up will be TLOU2 I think. I'll be happy to go back to that one :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a good week! They fixed Maneater so I was able to finish up that DLC. I was a little bummed that it didn't keep the original trophy times and just autopopped them when I logged into my save....but I'll take it. The update notes said that a trophy could get stuck in the queue and block the others from popping when they should....based on that explanation, I would have thought they might keep their original earned time, but they all popped the moment I loaded my save. I'm glad I waited since I would have been annoyed if I played that again and they fixed it so soon after.

In addition to the Maneater 100% re-achieved, I was able to get the 100% in The Last of Us 2 again. Grounded difficulty is extremely hard in this game. There are just some areas that feel impossibly unfair. The hardest part about this game is that none of the battle areas have a 'safe zone'. You can virtually always be flanked by something and not see it coming. Unlike with Maneater, I was very happy to return to this one. It was nice to play again and I still enjoyed the story. It was nice since I had forgotten a few things, but remembered the overall gist of it and was able to pick up on a ton of little things this time around. I was actually shocked at some of the things I missed the first time around. There's a rather large plot point involving one of the secondary people who join you and I really have no idea how I missed this the first time through.

Spoiler

I somehow completely missed that Lev was transgender....I remembered him being called an Apostate for shaving his head....but I completely missed that he was born Lily and shaved his head because they wouldn't let him become a warrior and he was to be the wife of an elder. I think the first time around I interpreted that as a cult leader being a pedophile and completely missed the Lily reference. It was another interesting angle to the story and another instance of them creating a storyline for an under represented group in a subtle way. Subtle enough anyway that I completely missed it the first time around....

I went as far as I could in grounded without using the exploit for using the 'power ups' before I caved. It was just too hard in some areas and I didn't want to have the grounded run ruin my experience with the game. Even with the easy button enabled, some areas took several tries. I ended up dying 54 times in the playthrough and I think about 35-40 of them was the boss fight against 

Spoiler

Ellie

It was really frustrating how aware that boss is during that battle. I kept getting spotted and it's basically one hit and you're dead for that part. Thankfully that fight was at the start of the chapter and you only lost about 3-5 minutes to retry. I got really frustrated at one point because I had been trying that fight for about an hour and finally beat the fight....only to step on a landmine during the cutscene....I must have got the final hit near one and as the game was transitioning to the cutscene for the end of the fight it tripped and killed me...took me another 30-40 minutes to finally beat it.

It truly is a great game though and I would highly recommend it. I think it was a perfect follow up to the first one. Just so much of it makes sense and I really like how they explored the idea that what is 'evil' or the 'bad side' mostly depends on what side you're standing on. For me, the game has a real Breaking Bad vibe to it with regards to the character development and it is something I really enjoyed. You will not feel good about the story, but I think anyone has to admit that it is one that is compelling.

I bought Jurassic World Evolution 2 and started playing that with my son. I had heard it was coming out and it was on my radar since I enjoyed the first one quite a bit....but I hadn't planned on buying it on release....well as I had mentioned earlier, I've started playing a Final Fantasy Randomizer a bit and have been watching some of the races on Youtube and my son has watched a bit with me. Well he saw a review thumbnail for the game and got super excited and wanted to watch it. He loved what he saw and I ended up buying it for him as a reward for being a brave guy when he got his first Covid vaccine shot last week. We're having some fun with it and I'll take it slowish to play with him. he's a little bummed that everything isn't unlocked right at the start so I may play a bit by myself to speed that part up for him. 

This game is going to be much harder than the first I can tell. There is sooooo much more to pay attention to. You need to hire scientists now to do anything, which is expensive. They can get tired/disgruntled if you overwork them and you need to allow them time to rest (which also costs money). You need to pay for gas for the jeeps and helicopters and it just seems like it will be very easy to get overwhelmed in this game. Beating the challenges on Jurassic mode will take some time I think. This will probably be a long time before I finish this one up. Even with those changes though, I have enjoyed the few hours I've played so far.

Next up on my DLC quest is Kingdom Hearts 3. I started the other night and so far this DLC is highway robbery at $30. It is literally just the end of the game replayed with some subtext....and then some boss fights (basically the Organization fights from KH2 again) and a challenge mode. How they are able to sleep at night adding so little content and charging so much money for it is beyond me. I had forgotten how bad this story is and was surprised at how bad the voice acting is....Xigbar is almost unbearable to listen to. When I had played all these games back to back to back a couple years ago....the story didn't seem that bad. However, after taking two years away from it and to come back....it is ridiculous. I'm really annoyed that I don't like this game so much because I really, really wanted to like this series...but I don't...it's a bummer but I don't. 

Next week is my favorite holiday! I always take the day before and after Thanksgiving off. Nothing beats food, football and video games! 

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Briste said:

Next up on my DLC quest is Kingdom Hearts 3. I started the other night and so far this DLC is highway robbery at $30. It is literally just the end of the game replayed with some subtext....and then some boss fights (basically the Organization fights from KH2 again) and a challenge mode. How they are able to sleep at night adding so little content and charging so much money for it is beyond me. I had forgotten how bad this story is and was surprised at how bad the voice acting is....Xigbar is almost unbearable to listen to. When I had played all these games back to back to back a couple years ago....the story didn't seem that bad. However, after taking two years away from it and to come back....it is ridiculous. I'm really annoyed that I don't like this game so much because I really, really wanted to like this series...but I don't...it's a bummer but I don't. 

Yeah this is the type of DLC that probably should have been free or at least very cheap. Though, I had the opposite experience when I came back to it for the DLC and actually enjoyed the game more than I did the first time, but perhaps that's because I was just skipping the cutscenes and focusing on the gameplay and combat aspect of the game which has always been a series strong point. It was definitely a let down after having waited 14 years for this one to drop, and they definitely never managed to recapture the magic of that first game, but I enjoyed it at least.  Though all of this may be my nostalgia talking and trying to justify it ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Briste said:

Lemme know how the DLC goes for you ?. I remember paying $60 for KH3 which is something I NEVER do (it's one of a handful of games since 2019 I've bought on release day), and given the fact that I just wanted to play a Kingdom Hearts game again, it served its purpose (mid-7.0-tier game IMO). I 1000% get how someone who didn't grow up playing the games wouldn't fall for it. You have to have a very strong stomach for the voice acting. I've held off on purchasing it since 1) That exorbitant price and 2) That ultra-rare "Risk-taker" trophy has me queasy. Last thing I would want to do is pay an extortion-tier price for DLC and then be UNABLE to actually get the trophies lmao. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

Yeah this is the type of DLC that probably should have been free or at least very cheap. Though, I had the opposite experience when I came back to it for the DLC and actually enjoyed the game more than I did the first time, but perhaps that's because I was just skipping the cutscenes and focusing on the gameplay and combat aspect of the game which has always been a series strong point. It was definitely a let down after having waited 14 years for this one to drop, and they definitely never managed to recapture the magic of that first game, but I enjoyed it at least.  Though all of this may be my nostalgia talking and trying to justify it 1f602.png

I notice you just finished it up yourself so congrats! What difficulty did you play it on for the challenge mode? I played the game through on Standard originally and have been doing the DLC on that mode so far....I'm leaning towards beginner mode just to make it as painless as possible....but I beat all the other games on Critical so I'm sure I could do it here....just not sure I want to. This absolutely should have been a free DLC...or $4.99 at most. It's similar to TLOU2 DLC with the grounded mode and permadeath modes....nothing really new there either, but at least they had the decency to make it free.

I'm sure your letdown her felt similar to my letdown with FFXV. That was the series I held sacred growing up and was really disappointed that they released an incomplete product after so long. They should have just released that as the Royal Edition and it would have been far better...I'm not sure why I didn't play this series when I was younger...I have a feeling it was because I thought it was a 'kids' game and just never gave it a chance. Despite not having that nostalgia to hold onto, I did look through rose colored glasses at this series when I played it a couple years ago. I really did want to like this series...I mean I love FF characters and I love Disney and this started as a clever idea....but they M. Night Shyamalan'd it up and just got too convoluted and took a cool idea and made it a mess. I enjoyed the combat in KH2 the most and this game isn't terrible either. I'll probably skip most of the cutscenes as well when I go through the main game again.

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

Lemme know how the DLC goes for you 1f602.png. I remember paying $60 for KH3 which is something I NEVER do (it's one of a handful of games since 2019 I've bought on release day), and given the fact that I just wanted to play a Kingdom Hearts game again, it served its purpose (mid-7.0-tier game IMO). I 1000% get how someone who didn't grow up playing the games wouldn't fall for it. You have to have a very strong stomach for the voice acting. I've held off on purchasing it since 1) That exorbitant price and 2) That ultra-rare "Risk-taker" trophy has me queasy. Last thing I would want to do is pay an extortion-tier price for DLC and then be UNABLE to actually get the trophies lmao. 

Most of the voice acting was ok when I went through it the first time....but Xigbar having a 'bro dude' voice doesn't fit the character (at least in my mind) and Axel has the worst catchphrase in history with 'Got it memorized?' while pointing to his head...There was also a few FFX style laughing scenes that were just painful as well lol

I completed the 'story' part of the DLC and that was exceptionally easy. When I say easy....I mean it was easy. It was shocking to me how easy it was lol I took next to no damage and I was beating things in like 5 seconds. The Organization XIII fights are not so easy. They're not that hard either. I've beaten 9 of the 13 so far and I've only been at it a couple of hours. I beat 6 of them in 3 tries or less and 3 of them took me a bit. The 6 that I beat in 3 tries or less you could pretty much brute force through without much strategy. Between Ariel and the Ultima Weapon form change they went down without much strategy. The remaining ones I have left though, I will need to learn the mechanics of the fights a bit since they don't seem to stagger as easy. I wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty to be honest. I'm sure if you could beat the other games on Critical, you'll be able to beat the 'Risk-taker' trophy mode. It's taken me a little bit to get used to the controls again, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Like 1

PQXtdMh.png

Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut

Slowly starting to whittle away at my active games. Q.U.B.E. was a free game that I got some years ago with my PS+ subscription and was nothing that was really on my radar as a game that I needed to play at some point. I had figured it'd fall under the category of games I never play actually. I had downloaded it to my PS3 as a part of the PS3 event that ended at the beginning of the month and it was all of a sudden on my radar. After finishing up the Dragon Age series, I was looking for something a little more casual to break up some bigger games and this game turned out to be the perfect tonic (well mostly). 

You might be thinking, what the hell is Q.U.B.E.? (maybe not though since most of you guys are way more knowledgeable about games than I am) Q.U.B.E. is a first person puzzle game that was apparently developed by three college students as a part of their class project. You play a dude that is trapped in a cube. You were apparently unconscious and thought to be dead. After regaining consciousness you hear a voice. According to the voice that is coming through your coms, you are in outer space and are humanity's last hope before the Earth is destroyed. You need to solve the riddle(s) of the Cube and destroy it before it collides(?) with the Earth, destroying life as we know it. The person who is speaking to you claims to be in space with you, in orbit, and is drifting in and out of coms range. Since you wake up and appear to have amnesia as to why you are there, the voice tells you about your history as you progress to try and give you a reason to complete the puzzles. There is another voice that appears that is trying to warn you that you are not in space, but are a lab rat being tested. Solving the Cube will end in your death, not the saving of the Earth, and you should stop trying to get through. The story really has little to do with the puzzles since I don't think you really have a choice in the matter. It'd be cool if there were a couple of endings depending upon which person you choose to believe, however there isn't and the story just unfolds as is. 

As far as the gameplay goes, the puzzles are pretty fun but were not terribly challenging. The movement is pretty stiff and the reticle you have to target the different cubes seems a bit too small. In the main game it's not an issue, but when you are doing the timed puzzles for the hardest trophy, there's not much room for error with the targeting and it got to be pretty frustrating. The puzzles consist of different color cubes and you have to figure out how they need to interact with each other to get to the next room and ultimately to the next sector. There is a new wrinkle added in each sector which made the puzzles more interesting. Each color cube does a different action. The Blue cubes serve as a launcher/catapult, the Red cubes can be extended up to three lengths, the Green cubes can be moved around via the other cubes, the Yellow cubes always come in a pack of three and can either make stairs if you select either end block or something resembling a middle finger if you select the middle block. There are also blocks that will rotate the room or shift the room up or down. They introduce magnets, fans and balls as well that you have to maneuver into certain areas. It really is a pretty fun game when there is no timer and you can take the time to survey the area. You interact with the different cubes with gloves that you are wearing. It kind of seems like magic is how you interact since you just wave your hand and the blocks move. One hand will move them out and the other will move them back. You have a small reticle to target as I mentioned above to select which block you want to activate and it's all pretty intuitive.

The trophy list is pretty straightforward. Nothing is missable since there is a chapter select at the end, but you'll probably need a guide to find the hidden areas. I doubt you'd need one to solve the puzzles though. The main game could probably be beaten in just a few hours as it is a relatively short game, however having been a school project and a free game, I won't complain about the length of it.  The only challenging trophy is the first trophy on the list Whatever Floats Your Boat, which is part of a racing/challenge section of the game. The trophy itself isn't that bad, but it is blocked behind 20 medals you need to earn to unlock the level needed. There are 10 levels and the one you need to beat is level 9 and you need to earn 20 medals in the prior 8 levels in order to unlock that level. You can earn up to 3 medals per level depending on whether you get Gold, Silver or Bronze (Gold is 3, etc). The levels are relatively short, only about a minute to a minute and a half each, however there is not much room for error in order to get the gold. Thankfully you do not need the gold in each level to get 20, but you do need quite a few golds. I tried to do the levels blind the first time through them, however you need to get powerups throughout the levels in order to finish fast enough to get a medal so you'll probably need to watch a video to see where some are hidden. The biggest challenge in this area is two fold. First, the movement is kind of choppy since the camera is a bit stiff so it can be hard to aim on the move. Hand in hand with that is the small reticle you have for aiming. As I mentioned above, it's not a big deal with no time limit, but when you only have 52 seconds to beat a level and you have to try and hit a small block or powerup while moving, it can be frustrating.

Even with those issues, I would have beaten that mode in just a couple hours, however I hit some weird glitch. It wasn't saving my times or the medals that I was earning. It saved all of my medals properly the first time I played a couple of days ago, but when I went back to finish tonight, I got a few gold medals and had earned 20 so that I could attempt the trophied level, however it wasn't showing as available from the race screen. I backed out to see why and saw that none of the times/medals I had earned tonight registered and I was still sitting at 11 when I had earned 20. I reset the game and tried again and again the medals didn't save (I checked after beating the first new level this time). Thankfully, this was a known issue and there was a thread on the forum here that had the solution of disconnecting from PSN and resetting the game and trying. Doing that ended up working and after about 45 minutes, I was back to where I was when the glitch happened. It was pretty frustrating since I did not enjoy this mode of the game as much as the story mode....but the levels were short enough and it was just a matter of getting lucky with my aim on some of the power up items.

If you have the game in your backlog, it was fun enough for me to recommend. If you do not already have the game, I can't say it's worth much more than $5. It was a fun puzzle game and with the pink in the thumbnail it counts towards the Cancer event and since it starts with a Q it also gives me my first Q game for a 100% ABC list. With this PS3 game done, I really only have about 8-10 PS3 games left in my backlog to play. I would like to finish them all in the next year and then I may officially be able to retire that console. I'll keep it of course, as I have with all the consoles I've owned, but it will take its place on my retirement shelf with the other consoles that have been put out to pasture....you never know when you may want another ride!

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, Briste said:

notice you just finished it up yourself so congrats! What difficulty did you play it on for the challenge mode? I played the game through on Standard originally and have been doing the DLC on that mode so far....I'm leaning towards beginner mode just to make it as painless as possible....but I beat all the other games on Critical so I'm sure I could do it here....just not sure I want to. This absolutely should have been a free DLC...or $4.99 at most. It's similar to TLOU2 DLC with the grounded mode and permadeath modes....nothing really new there either, but at least they had the decency to make it free.

I'm sure your letdown her felt similar to my letdown with FFXV. That was the series I held sacred growing up and was really disappointed that they released an incomplete product after so long. They should have just released that as the Royal Edition and it would have been far better...I'm not sure why I didn't play this series when I was younger...I have a feeling it was because I thought it was a 'kids' game and just never gave it a chance. Despite not having that nostalgia to hold onto, I did look through rose colored glasses at this series when I played it a couple years ago. I really did want to like this series...I mean I love FF characters and I love Disney and this started as a clever idea....but they M. Night Shyamalan'd it up and just got too convoluted and took a cool idea and made it a mess. I enjoyed the combat in KH2 the most and this game isn't terrible either. I'll probably skip most of the cutscenes as well when I go through the main game again.

I played the challenge mode on beginner. I played the main game on critical, but like you I wanted to try to get through the challenge mode as painlessly as possible.  Looking back, Risk Taker would have taken so much longer on critical so I'm glad that I played it on beginner.

I played 15 after basically all of the content was released for it since I didn't really get a playstation 3 or 4 at all till 2018ish, where I got both lol. Was it most of the post game content that was added with royal edition?  a la that really cool dungeon that you have to land the flying car in the middle of nowhere to get to, and the Omega fight?  On the whole, I thought it was fine, even pushing towards the good side.  However, I had the advantage of low expectations since I was so late to the party, but if you grew up in the hype of playing 6,7,9, and 10, and to a lesser extent 8 and 12, I can see how it might be a pretty big let down.  Especially if it was missing content.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, Briste said:

Axel has the worst catchphrase in history with 'Got it memorized?' while pointing to his head...There was also a few FFX style laughing scenes that were just painful as well lol

I seem to recall that getting some explanation in birth by sleep, where...

Spoiler

His greatest fear is being forgotten, and that becomes his whole motivation for being a nobody to begin with.  Though it was never well explored and just sort of glossed over.  lol.  but maybe I'm over justifying.

On 11/21/2021 at 0:44 AM, Briste said:

PQXtdMh.png

Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut

I remember picking up this game because it represented a Q game and I don't have any Q games on my list. ?.  Congratulations on the 100%.  

On 11/21/2021 at 0:44 AM, Briste said:

Slowly starting to whittle away at my active games

So can we expect the meatboy grind to return soon?  I know you can finish it!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:41 AM, Together_Comic said:

I seem to recall that getting some explanation in birth by sleep, where...

For some reason I can't open that spoiler...it keeps jumping me to the top of the screen. Did it on my phone and desktop. I think I vaguely remember what you're referring to though, but it is still a pretty brutal catch phrase.

So can we expect the meatboy grind to return soon?  I know you can finish it!

I have made a solemn oath that can't be broken to @Arcesius that I will finish SMB for my 200th milestone. So I either complete that game for 200 or forever had 199 plats and a bunch of games that are 2 trophy's away :) That will be very hard for me to do since I just lose interest so fast in that game, however the challenge has been issued and accepted, so I will get back to it in the relatively near future.

I played 15 after basically all of the content was released for it since I didn't really get a playstation 3 or 4 at all till 2018ish, where I got both lol. Was it most of the post game content that was added with royal edition?  a la that really cool dungeon that you have to land the flying car in the middle of nowhere to get to, and the Omega fight?  On the whole, I thought it was fine, even pushing towards the good side.  However, I had the advantage of low expectations since I was so late to the party, but if you grew up in the hype of playing 6,7,9, and 10, and to a lesser extent 8 and 12, I can see how it might be a pretty big let down.  Especially if it was missing content.

I had pre-ordered it like 5 years before it came out. I don't exactly remember all of the things that were missing...but the DLC content for each character should have been included. There were major gaps in the story that were kind of answered with the DLCs....but yes that one fun dungeon was not include or the Omega fight. The big fight on release was with Adamantoise, which was just a ridiculously long fight that wasn't terribly challenging. My favorite part of the game was driving around and listening to the sound tracks from the other games. They should have just released the Royal Edition, with all of the dungeons and DLC included. I don't mind paying for DLC when it is an addition to the game or something extra....but these DLC's felt like they omitted part of the story so they could later sell it to you. It felt like buying a house where they didn't include the bathroom but let you buy it piece at a time over the following year and then decided to sell the house with everything included. I didn't hate the game, but the way it was put out.

21 hours ago, Briste said:

I have made a solemn oath that can't be broken to @Arcesius that I will finish SMB for my 200th milestone. So I either complete that game for 200 or forever had 199 plats and a bunch of games that are 2 trophy's away :) That will be very hard for me to do since I just lose interest so fast in that game, however the challenge has been issued and accepted, so I will get back to it in the relatively near future.

Haha yeah you better get it done! :P 

Me saying this probably isn't the best strategy for motivation, but honestly only go through with it if you enjoy the grind. If you notice that you start feeling miserable, screw the milestone! ? I'd still love to see you finishing the game, given that it's the first game on your list to not be at 100%, but don't stress yourself out over it. :)

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, Arcesius said:

Me saying this probably isn't the best strategy for motivation, but honestly only go through with it if you enjoy the grind. If you notice that you start feeling miserable, screw the milestone! 1f605.png I'd still love to see you finishing the game, given that it's the first game on your list to not be at 100%, but don't stress yourself out over it. :)

I'll enjoy the feeling once I've accomplished it :) I can deal with the grind because I know it will be a challenge ahead of time so nothing will be surprising there. I just have learned that I don't love platforming games all that much. They are fine when it is a piece of the game, but pure platformers get a bit boring for me. I'm not sure how many more of those I'll do, but who knows....I may get the itch for something else at some point.

Speaking of completing a satisfying challenge, I just beat Yozora in the KH DLC. Man was he a pain in the ass....the first couple of times I fought him, I died in seconds and was legitimately wondering how I would ever be able to beat him. I probably spend a good 4 hours practicing that fight before I beat him this afternoon and all I can say is that Ariel was the MVP of that fight. I have no idea how anyone can beat him without Ariel. The hardest part is he is slow mixed with super fast. It's so hard to be patient for him to start his attack, but once he starts his attack, it is quick and punishing with just enough pauses to mess up your timing. While it is extremely hard and fast paced....I do agree that it is a pretty fair fight. The mechanics seem to work as intended and there are opportunities to take a breather to collect your bearings....the hardest part is he has so many different move sets to remember. I ended up needing 4 elixirs and a lot of Ariel, but I was able to get through it.

After beating him, the story continues and I'll I have to say now is what!?!!? I won't go any further than that, but KH went into the multiverse with this DLC. I have no idea what direction they plan to take this story. It has been a mess to follow and it's starting to reach the level of Inception in some regards. I'll work towards the last two trophies now, but I feel pretty confident I can do the rest. I feel like beating Yozora means you should be able to do the rest...we'll see I guess!

• 2 weeks later...