Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

On 8/3/2021 at 10:01 PM, Briste said:

The way I tackled the game was to do Valhalla mode first once I unlocked it and before cleaning up the regular game trophies. I wanted to get both of the conditions met in Valhalla and then go back to the main game and finish up that boss’s trophies so that I could effectively be done with that boss and focus on the next boss’s mechanics without getting rusty. I’ll tell you one thing, after beating a boss in Valhalla, the trophy cleanup against the normal bosses was a breeze. It was funny because I though the bosses were pretty challenging the first time I faced them during the story, but after practicing in Valhalla, they were pushovers. I’d recommend this approach for anyone that wants to play it since it really gets rid of the potential frustration for those timed trophies.

Hah... I never even thought about tackling the game this way. I know on my 1st run I went out of my way to beat them all without god powers, but when re-fighting the bosses for the time rials and no damage and such I did them as soon as I finished the game since I wanted experience going into Valhalla Mode. The game must have been comically simple in comparison going back to the "easier" mode since Hagalaz's lightning spires dropped from 8 to 4, Odin's spheres going from 3 to 1, and so forth. Congrats on the plat and I'd say it's VERY worthy of being your 150th. I'm quite jealous of your latest milestones. I wish I could have made FF7 Remake's plat icon an image, and Iver from TBS somehow looks even better. 

15 hours ago, Briste said:

All in all this was a very average game. It ran smooth and there were no disconnects or crashes so at least that part of the game was good....but overall it felt pretty uninspired and was just pretty boring. If you like Diablo clones, it's not terrible, but there are lot better ones out there to choose from. 

Thank you for the heads up! Don't really play Diablo clones but I had seen Torchlight on sale multiple times for very cheap and always wondered if it was worth a buy. While I can tell from your review that you didn't dislike it, doesn't really feel like an experience I want to pour 40+ hours into. I don't mind games that have a bit of a grind to wrap things up since they can be good background games if I'm watching other stuff but if the game is just way too easy it can get a bit droning. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, realm722 said:

Hah... I never even thought about tackling the game this way. I know on my 1st run I went out of my way to beat them all without god powers, but when re-fighting the bosses for the time rials and no damage and such I did them as soon as I finished the game since I wanted experience going into Valhalla Mode. The game must have been comically simple in comparison going back to the "easier" mode since Hagalaz's lightning spires dropped from 8 to 4, Odin's spheres going from 3 to 1, and so forth. Congrats on the plat and I'd say it's VERY worthy of being your 150th. I'm quite jealous of your latest milestones. I wish I could have made FF7 Remake's plat icon an image, and Iver from TBS somehow looks even better. 

I usually will do games this way that have a difficulty trophy involved. I figure if I can beat the game on the hardest setting, the rest will be easy. If I start easy and go hard, then I might have several frustrating runs through a game...if I start with the harder stuff first, then I often remove a lot of the frustration. If you look at my time between trophies, a lot of my clean up trophies only had minutes or seconds between popping. It really was effective lol

Actually, I tend to do the something similar with books that become movies. If I haven't read the book yet, I'll usually watch the movie first because 99/100 the book is far better than the movie. If I read the book first, I won't enjoy the movie experience since I know what is missing. If I start with the movie, there's a chance I might like the movie since I don't know what is missing and then go read the book. Then I'll have enjoyed the movie and book experience. Doesn't always work, but most of the time it works.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, realm722 said:

Thank you for the heads up! Don't really play Diablo clones but I had seen Torchlight on sale multiple times for very cheap and always wondered if it was worth a buy. While I can tell from your review that you didn't dislike it, doesn't really feel like an experience I want to pour 40+ hours into. I don't mind games that have a bit of a grind to wrap things up since they can be good background games if I'm watching other stuff but if the game is just way too easy it can get a bit droning. 

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of your way to play it....but if it's a PS+ game or you can get it for $5 or so it's not terrible. It's a great game to catch up on movies or TV shows since you can mindlessly go through it.

I have a milestone coming up in about ten trophies. I had picked out a trophy from Mount & Blade: Warband to be my milestone...the good news is there are several good contestants to choose from....the bad news is I popped my first choice by accident. In honor of turning 40 this year, I was hoping to pop 7S3c5be1.pngOld Dirty Scoundrel which you pop for getting a faction (kingdom) to -50. I thought it would be a little harder to pop than it was and it popped completely by accident. I'll give more of a synopsis of the game when I beat it and do my review...but basically you are a prospective knight/lord in a feudal era style war game with aspirations of becoming the ruler of all the land. There are five 'kingdoms' that each have a king that battle each other for supremacy in the land and each king has a 'claimant' or someone who feels they have the right to the throne for that kingdom (bastard son, widowed queen, etc). There is a trophy for getting a 'claimant' to a throne so I figured I'd pick one and start working towards it. I had a 0 or better rating with all of the kingdoms when I figured I'd start working on that trophy and the moment I declared my support for the 'pretender', I lost 50 rating points in the kingdom the 'pretender' has a claim to. With that popped the trophy. From reading the guide, it looked like doing this would give me a -40 and I'd need -10 more to pop this trophy....but nope.

I'm a little bummed that I popped the trophy early, but this game has a lot of funny trophy names and I like the images a lot so I have a few to choose from. Not sure if I'm going to go with one of the Monty Python inspired ones or the Star Trek inspired 20S8723df.pngKhaaaaan!....I kind of like the image of the Star Trek one the best....but having  41S2308c8.pngThe Holy Hand Grenade or 36Sf503bb.pngBring Out Your Dead on my wall wouldn't be terrible either....I also haven't ruled out 9Sed8b58.pngHoly Diver with a nod to Ronnie James Dio. The Knight with the 'rock on' hands is pretty sweet...decisions decisions. After this milestone, I won't have one for a little while so it should be good!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 1

So The Holy Hand Grenade ended up being the winner for my milestones. I really screwed the pooch with this one lol I really wanted to have Old Dirty Scoundrel and was pretty disappointed when that popped unexpectedly (well it popped when it should have....I just wasn't expecting to meet the criteria at the time it popped). I then went to my kids to see which one they liked best. They are huge into 'rock out' songs (rock out songs include, but are not limited to, ACDC, Metallica, Billy Joel, Lady Gaga...you get the idea) so I was going to go with Holy Diver. That one was supposed to pop at 500 kills/injured enemies....popped for me at about 390. I guess the tracker tracks kills even if you don't save. There were times I saved before going into a tournament or siege the first few times I tried them and I guess those kills carried over....so after I popped that one, I was going to go with Khaaaaan!i since I liked that image better than the other ones and I tend to like Star Trek better than Monty Python....that one popped while doing a tournament....which I really wasn't expecting since you don't kill anyone in a tournament. I thought I would have to grind that one out in regular battles....so strike 3....

While I like the Bring Out Your Dead scene better in Monty Python than I do the killer rabbit and The Holy Hand Grenade scene....I didn't really like the image for Bring Out Your Dead. I had actually decided to go with None Shall Pass for defending a castle during a siege. I liked that trophy image the best of what was left and the Black Knight was one of the funnier parts of Monty Python...the problem became getting someone to actually try to siege one of my castles....I had really painted myself into a corner with this endeavor...

I had 6999 trophies and my faction just wouldn't go to war. I couldn't leave and make my own faction since there's a trophy for that and I really don't care much for that trophy. The couple of times my faction did go to war, nobody would siege my castle and the one time someone actually did....my king made peace with the other faction and the siege ended before the battle ? I tried for a day and a half to try and get a siege going and came up empty. I now was coming up upon a second wall....a 273 day trophy streak AND my 7000 trophy. I was running out of time to keep the streak alive and the only one I knew I could pop was The Holy Hand Grenade....so due to a lack of time and options...that one ended up being my 7000. I'm pretty lukewarm about it, but it's not terrible.

In hindsight, I think Kingmaker would have been a pretty good one too since I have two boys....but that one seemed much more challenging than it ended up being. At the end of the day, I should have either done more research on the pop conditions...or just played and see what happened. I know the more logical choice is option B, but this is my party and I'll cry if I want to...

I'm really into this game FYI....it's so close to being amazing but is just clunky enough where I could see where people would hate it. I've stayed up way later on several nights than I usually do because I get lost in time. Hoping to be able to finish this up in the next week or so...we'll see since this game is pretty huge.

• Like 4

I think you put more planning into your milestones than I ever did. ? I was mostly just happy to get a trophy in a game I liked. I guess the two exceptions for me were 9k and 10k (especially 10k, since I had been planning that for 3-4 years). But enjoy it while you can! Once you reach 10k, it's all over until 15k...

I'm interested to see how M&B handles on console. I played the original on PC when it first released. I remember liking it, but it was very unpolished. You really should give KCD a try when you have ~200 hours of free time. They're not exactly the same genre, but they do a similar thing with combat.

• Like 1

That would drive me crazy trying to pop a specific trophy for a total trophy milestone, you have some serious patience. I haven't paid much attention to those and it's funny when I look at my profile and see what actually counted for them. I at least started to plan platinums after 50...which is only 2 so far.

For my 9000th though, I'm actually considering playing Fallen Legion: Flame of Rebellion, which I got through PS+ for the over 9000 trophy....

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

I think you put more planning into your milestones than I ever did. 1f602.png I was mostly just happy to get a trophy in a game I liked. I guess the two exceptions for me were 9k and 10k (especially 10k, since I had been planning that for 3-4 years). But enjoy it while you can! Once you reach 10k, it's all over until 15k...

lol but less planning into the trophy image screenshot that goes with it :P I figure since I know when the milestones are coming up, I have plenty of time to plan for them so I might as well try for something that I find funny or amusing. I'm just lucky this game had many trophies I like as opposed to some of the games I've targeted where there was only one. I still have slim amounts of hope that they'll adjust that at some point, or allow some more customization with what milestones you show. I'm going to pop my 11,000th, 12,000th, etc trophies as if they are going to be milestones still just in case.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'm interested to see how M&B handles on console. I played the original on PC when it first released. I remember liking it, but it was very unpolished. You really should give KCD a try when you have ~200 hours of free time. They're not exactly the same genre, but they do a similar thing with combat.

It seems to handle pretty well to be honest....it is clearly made for use with a mouse, but it's not that bad. The combat isn't terribly smooth though and the AI is kind of weird at times...like during a siege when reinforcements appear, it's like they are on a train track to go a certain way and you can just stand to the side of them while they walk by and mow them down like grass. I did buy KCD a few months ago so it is something I plan on playing for sure.

10 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

That would drive me crazy trying to pop a specific trophy for a total trophy milestone, you have some serious patience. I haven't paid much attention to those and it's funny when I look at my profile and see what actually counted for them. I at least started to plan platinums after 50...which is only 2 so far.

Usually it isn't so bad since the other milestones I've picked were easy to setup. As it turns out, this game was far easier to setup than I anticipated. I started playing the game with like 30 trophies to go since I wasn't sure what 'get -50 from a faction' meant and I expected it to take some grinding. I had no idea that backing a 'pretender' for the crown would drop me -50 immediately....Old Dirty Scoundrel in theory could have been my second or third trophy....I just didn't research it enough. Once I painted myself into a corner though, it got a little harder to tackle. I generally get the one I want ready to pop with 10 or 12 trophies to go and then get those other trophies in a different game until I'm ready to pop it. I would agree with you though, that I do have some serious patience lol It's why I've been able to complete some of the games I have....there's moments of frustration for sure, but at the end I've been able to persevere.

Actually, I was going to talk about how I feel about UR trophies. I saw that big thread going on and it seems people have some pretty strong opinions on them. They are somewhat important to me personally. Not because it shows that a game is hard or that I have skill or anything...but because I like knowing that I've achieved something that not a lot of people took the time to do....for whatever reason. Some of them I have no idea why people haven't taken the time to achieve....for example, in Mount & Blade: Warband there are three trophies for getting a specific skills to level 5 or higher. All of them can literally be achieved in the starting menu by picking specific traits for your character. It takes two minutes yet all three of them are under 10% achieved. I have no idea why more people who have played this game, haven't taken the time to get them....but they haven't. These aren't good examples of UR trophies that are important to me....but I like that I took the time to do it when 9/10 don't. I think it is usually pretty easy to tell which UR trophies are due to difficulty, which are due to grindy requirements and which are due to a game being terrible. I appreciate all three types and have all of them on my profile.

I actually just got my overall % under 40% for the first time in the past week. It's important to no one but myself, as is my profile in general, which is why I take the time to get the trophies I want for milestones, try to keep series in order and other little quirks. My profile is to amuse myself and maybe some others. It has helped me meet some great people and I really like the PSNP community that I've interacted with...I think a big part of that is because I don't take myself too seriously here. I play for fun and my own personal goals and enjoy reading and talking with others in the same mold. Because of that, I really haven't had a bad experience here at all. I know I've read several times about the toxicity of this website...but for me that just hasn't been true.

I'm kind of going off the rails a bit here so I'm just going to get back to some M&B :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Briste said:

Actually, I was going to talk about how I feel about UR trophies. I saw that big thread going on and it seems people have some pretty strong opinions on them. They are somewhat important to me personally. Not because it shows that a game is hard or that I have skill or anything...but because I like knowing that I've achieved something that not a lot of people took the time to do....for whatever reason. Some of them I have no idea why people haven't taken the time to achieve....for example, in Mount & Blade: Warband there are three trophies for getting a specific skills to level 5 or higher. All of them can literally be achieved in the starting menu by picking specific traits for your character. It takes two minutes yet all three of them are under 10% achieved. I have no idea why more people who have played this game, haven't taken the time to get them....but they haven't. These aren't good examples of UR trophies that are important to me....but I like that I took the time to do it when 9/10 don't. I think it is usually pretty easy to tell which UR trophies are due to difficulty, which are due to grindy requirements and which are due to a game being terrible. I appreciate all three types and have all of them on my profile.

Which thread do you mean? ?

But yeah, I share your opinion I think. There are some UR trophies that are UR for... reasons...? And those trophies being UR doesn't mean anything to me. For example, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a UR platinum, but it's a 2-3/10 game in terms of difficulty.. The game could sit at 30%+ rarity for all I care. 

But then there are games that have UR trophies for the - to me - right reasons. Difficult, skill-dependent trophies. Those are the UR trophies that matter to me, the ones that actually represent what you described: I was able to do something many were not. 

However, this is not always reflected in the rarity. Sure, I would say that the really, really tough games, your 10/10s, are all UR. But there are many 7-8/10 games that are not very rare. My favorite example is The End is Nigh. The game is not much easier than SMB (the gameplay is actually harder, the platinum is a bit easier.. both games made by the same guy), yet the difference in rarity is enormous. SMB is still 0.24% or so, while The End is Nigh, which has only been completed by 30 people, is at almost 7%. 

But, with profiles not being updated regularly on this site since... 2017 or so, those rarities are also starting to feel very wrong and more and more insignificant. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arcesius said:

But yeah, I share your opinion I think. There are some UR trophies that are UR for... reasons...? And those trophies being UR doesn't mean anything to me. For example, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a UR platinum, but it's a 2-3/10 game in terms of difficulty.. The game could sit at 30%+ rarity for all I care.

I'll never understand the rarity of LiaDS...or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Phil's Epic Adventure, which sits at a ridiculous 61%. It's not difficult at all, but I have a hard time believing that many people stared at a white screen for such a long period of time.

Ever since I lost my ability to have a 100% profile...and since it'll be years before my next PSNP-approved milestone...I'm starting to focus more on URs now. I'm excited that I hit my 300th UR today. Even moreso since I haven't popped a trophy since Wednesday. Wish there was some way to see what trophy was responsible. I guess I could sort all my trophies by rarity and see which one is closest to the cut-off?

But like you guys are saying, not URs are created equal. You generally take on games that have UR trophies because of difficulty. I play obscure games. Briste does a little of both. I'm not sure how you could factor that in, unless you're also taking into account the number of game owners.

• Like 2

Wow can't believe someone else is playing Mount & Blade Warband here xD 

I can tell why this game is UR though...it's hella obscure (if you never owned a PC) and most who start it are "ugh what's this wonky medieval thing". Not to mention that the multiplayer based kills are abit of a headache to get unless you boost and the entire process of conquering the map can be a headache if you don't plan it beforehand.

But damn this game was fun. Way better to play on mouse and keyboard as it was mentioned, but it worked kinda fine on console also. Sieges were the thing that gave me the most headaches though because the dumbasses would just sit on the siege ladders without doing much while being pelted with arrows. 

Holy Hand Grenade is still a good milestone, if anything you can say you are a Monty Python fan ? Good luck and keep stealing the butter from the Swadians!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 2:52 AM, Arcesius said:

But, with profiles not being updated regularly on this site since... 2017 or so, those rarities are also starting to feel very wrong and more and more insignificant. 

Yeah this is probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the site in general. How can the leaderboard be 'as accurate as possible' if the site isn't updating the profiles that are on it regularly? I really don't care too much about the leaderboard in general...I just like to see my number green as opposed to red...but I have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to my ranking on there. But with how motivated PSNP is to keep cheaters off the leaderboard (which I agree with), one would assume they'd also want to keep the accounts that are contained on it as up to date as possible. I'm not sure what's wrong with the website updating once a month for each account....but I'm not a programmer so I am speaking out of turn a bit there.

21 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But like you guys are saying, not URs are created equal. You generally take on games that have UR trophies because of difficulty. I play obscure games. Briste does a little of both. I'm not sure how you could factor that in, unless you're also taking into account the number of game owners.

I actually bought a few games on this most recent sale that seem both obscure and hard....we'll find out why when I play them, but from the little research I did, they seem grind-y. I bought Fantasy General II: Invasion, Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Definitive Edition, Griftlands, Banner of the Maid and The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game Definitive Edition. BotM was not on sale, but it wasn't that expensive and I was in a buying mood last night. Almost all of those games have less than 1,000 owners and FG II has a 0.00% completion rate...it doesn't appear to be a broken game so I'll be curious to see if I can plat that game. I can't tell if it's just because it's obscure AND grind-y or if it's because the gameplay is bad or what. If it's like an Ash of Gods kind of broken, I can manage (AoG is on sale very cheap right now ftw). Every once in a while I get a funny feeling to start something random and I now have a few choices again. I have no idea when I'll play any of these....but they looked about right for me.

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

I can tell why this game is UR though...it's hella obscure (if you never owned a PC) and most who start it are "ugh what's this wonky medieval thing". Not to mention that the multiplayer based kills are abit of a headache to get unless you boost and the entire process of conquering the map can be a headache if you don't plan it beforehand.

But damn this game was fun. Way better to play on mouse and keyboard as it was mentioned, but it worked kinda fine on console also. Sieges were the thing that gave me the most headaches though because the dumbasses would just sit on the siege ladders without doing much while being pelted with arrows. 

I can see why it is UR too lol it is really gind-y to conquer the whole map as you said...and I totally agree with those sieges being weird like that. I tend to stand at the base off the ladders/siege tower and pick off the archers with my bow. You never really run out of arrows since the ground is littered with them from the enemy. I let my soldiers clear a path off the ladder and then I go join them. I basically sneak around back and just beat the shit out of their archers/crossbowmen. When the 'more enemies arrived' message pops up....the will spawn on me while I'm shucking archers, but the run towards my main group, leaving me alone to massacre. I've been blitzkrieging through the map the past couple of days and it's been a lot of fun.

It took a while to get the feel of the different strengths and weaknesses of the soldiers and what works best...but I agree that this game is a blast if you have the patience for it. Since I still have my PS4, the MP trophies were a breeze since most of the rooms are empty and I was able to log in with the account I let my son play and just wail on him. I'm telling you, this PS5 backwards compatibility thing has been great for some of these games with grind-y MP stuff. I'm hoping to be able to finish this game up in the next week or so, but this was an unexpected gem for me.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Briste said:

I actually bought a few games on this most recent sale that seem both obscure and rare....

Speaking of obscure and rare games, earlier today I saw someone made a comment on SPELLSWORD CARDS: DUNGEONTOP, which has - strangely enough - almost the same underwhelming number of owners in EU and US regions (~60). The game is said to be a mix of a turn-based RPG deck-builder and a board game and the Steam reviews are very positive; it is also very cheap ;) I haven't gotten it yet but put in on my wishlist just in case :D

I am also very tempted to get Griftlands, I remember @Rally-Vincent--- mentioning it a few months ago.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

I am also very tempted to get Griftlands, I remember @Rally-Vincent--- mentioning it a few months ago.

Yes, he did mention it, and he is playing it atm - technically, since all the XCOm 2 talk in @Arcesius's thread and Christopher Odd starting a new season resulted in him downloading a plethora of mods and cursing five missed 80%+ shots in a row.

• Like 1

Well, congratulations. You found a game I've never heard of (Fantasy General II). I have Pathfinder and Griftlands on my wish list. Banner of the Maid was fun. LotR...well, I don't know how the card game is, but there's a serious lack of good Middle-earth games out there. What do we have -- a couple spin-offs from the movies, a few LEGO games, an MMO nobody plays, and one awesome hack-and-slash that came out on the PS2? EA needs to do for LotR what Jedi: Fallen Order did for Star Wars. Maybe that Gollum game will be good...

And yeah, DungeonTop is supposed to be a lot like StS. I haven't looked much into it.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'll never understand the rarity of LiaDS...or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Phil's Epic Adventure, which sits at a ridiculous 61%. It's not difficult at all, but I have a hard time believing that many people stared at a white screen for such a long period of time.

Ever since I lost my ability to have a 100% profile...and since it'll be years before my next PSNP-approved milestone...I'm starting to focus more on URs now. I'm excited that I hit my 300th UR today. Even moreso since I haven't popped a trophy since Wednesday. Wish there was some way to see what trophy was responsible. I guess I could sort all my trophies by rarity and see which one is closest to the cut-off?

I stopped caring about URs for the most part because it's honestly no different than stacking easy games. Sure there are some truly hard games with a bunch of URs worth playing, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play some obscure indie PS4 game I couldn't give a damn about just because it has a bunch of URs. Some of those I actually played were offered on PS Plus, so that skews the statistics.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, Cassylvania said:

I don't think there is any need to take that into consideration though... I wasn't implying that one reason for smth being UR is superior, either, sorry if it came across that way ?

I was only stating that, to me personally, only the rarity of trophies that are UR due to the skill required to unlock them is meaningful. Others might care about something else. But in the end, I think there is no need to globally explain the rarity of a trophy. 

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I stopped caring about URs for the most part because it's honestly no different than stacking easy games. Sure there are some truly hard games with a bunch of URs worth playing, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play some obscure indie PS4 game I couldn't give a damn about just because it has a bunch of URs. Some of those I actually played were offered on PS Plus, so that skews the statistics.

It is only similar if you play UR games just for the sake of earning more UR trophies. Witch no one here is doing ?. 

We all have different reasons for caring or not caring about rarity. That statement doesn't apply to the majority of players I'd say.?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Arcesius said:

It is only similar if you play UR games just for the sake of earning more UR trophies. Witch no one here is doing 1f605.png

We all have different reasons for caring or not caring about rarity. That statement doesn't apply to the majority of players I'd say.1f642.png

Pretty much. If it’s not something that interests you, don’t bother playing it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Briste said:

Back when I was a kid, there was this place where masses of people used to congregate to go shopping that had tons of different types of stores called a 'mall'. It was always a big deal and it usually coincided with some sort of giant pretzel or a stop at Boardwalk Fries and it was amazing. My 'mall' had this awesome video game store that I always had to stop in when we went. It was called Electronics Boutique and it was every video game nerd's wet dream. By 1995, I was 14 and had been working for a couple years at my family's restaurant, so had some disposable income to throw at video games. I played a lot of PC games at the time in addition to my SNES, and one day when I was in Electronics Boutique, I looked up on the top shelf and saw a game with a Knight on the cover. I couldn't read the name and wasn't sure what it was, but because I was 14 and wanted to be a dick, I asked the clerk to come and get it down for me. He begrudgingly came over to get it muttering about how there was a reason it was on the top shelf since nobody buys this game. Well just to spite him, I decided to buy it (I sure showed him!) The game was called Conqueror A.D. 1086

In Conqueror, the game started with you as a young boy with aspirations of becoming a Knight and perhaps the King of all England one day. You would cross the map of England and do tasks for people and compete in tournaments (jousting was impossible in this game). I want to say you would try to wooo a bonnie lass to be your bride. You could beat the game one of three ways I think...you could defeat the dragon (which involved jousting), you could win over the country by winning all the tournaments (which involved jousting) or you could just be a warlord and take England by force (the only way I could every play the game). So, I'd take over fiefs and amass an army that was large enough to overthrow the king and try to win that way. The annoying thing about the game was the time limit. I think you had until you were like 30 years old to beat the game or it was game over. Time moved pretty quickly too iirc and the game was fun and challenging. I used to play it on and off for years until PC's got too good and too fast, that it couldn't play games like this anymore. I haven't played a game like this in close to 20 years probably. 

Why did I just waste your time talking about this relic that nobody in the world played? Because Mount & Blade: Warband was awesomely similar to my lost relic. In M&B you choose a backstory by answering a few questions before you start, then you get to customize what your hero looks like and his/her name. Since you have to beat the game as a female for a trophy, I played as Bristina of the Kingdom of Vaegirs, daughter of a Merchant and spent my early life as a street urchin, fending for myself and learning the ways of the world. As a young adult, I became a troubadour to try and escape the streets due to my excellent singing voice and love of poetry. I decided to become an adventurer for reasons of revenge after the love of my life was killed!

Nah dude, you have to admit talking about nostalgia and your childhood a little was well worth writing about. I almost sort of envy you in a way and I'm a bit jealous of older Millennials like yourself because you guys really got to experience the old days when we practically had to physically haul ourselves to an electronics store to pick up. There was no fast internet back then either, so picking up a game was like feeling this sense of wonder, especially for something obscure like Conqueror A.D. 1086 because nobody had heard about it. We had an old computer store in my local area that my dad used to take me to, when Windows 95 and later Windows 98 were on the shelves. Seems like such a distant memory now, but I always like when people here talk about what they experienced growing up.

I heard a LOT about Mount & Blade: Warband, but never quite got around to it. I won't bother playing it for trophies, I'll just pick it up on Steam when it's on sale and try it out for myself.

14 minutes ago, Briste said:

Finally!! I actually enjoyed the Mordor games quite a bit, but overall I agree that there is not a ton of good LotR games out there. This one looks like it could be a bit of a slog so it's not something I'm going to jump right into. I'll let you know if it's any good.

People like to keep harping that the two Middle Earth games are a bit overrated. I can agree, the best thing they going is the Nemesis System, which I felt was well designed. In Shadow of War they basically padded the Nemesis System so it's rather convoluted, especially if you didn't play the first game. Wasn't that bad though, I was fairly surprised that the platinum was a lot shorter than I expected.

16 minutes ago, Briste said:

Since I don't look at URs in terms of difficulty all the time, I don't exactly see them that way. I look at them for exactly what they are...trophies that most people haven't got for one reason or another. I won't lie, when these huge sales come up, I look at the difficulty rating that gets included before I look at the title of the game. If I see it's an 8/10 or 9/10, I'll check it out to see if the genre is something I might like. If less than 1000 people have played it, I get even more interested. I get a kick out of playing really obscure stuff every once in a while. I enjoy the AAA games too, but I like finishing something that not a lot of people have attempted.

Some of the stuff I played had URs simply for being incredibly niche. Pumped BMX+, a game that was initially on the internet, has a bunch of piss easy URs and one actual challenging one. Not that great of a game in all honesty, but all but one trophy can be easily obtained in just 20 - 30 minutes of playing.

Other stuff I played I felt should of had lower rarities. Dead Space 2 on Hardcore was difficult for me, and it's only a VR as opposed to a UR platinum. So it'll be real interesting to see how NYMHC will turn out for me in Max Payne 3, since it's a sub 1 percent platinum.

19 minutes ago, Briste said:

This is why I like the trophy hunting a lot. We might target the same types of games for very different reasons. You enjoy the challenge where as I enjoy venturing into the unknown. Those paths cross enough where we'll dabble in the same stuff. That's also why I like the term 'trophy hunting' since it covers a wide array of styles. Some hunters go for quantity over quality and some go for the big game trophy's. Some take their time to enjoy the hunt and some like to bag something every day. It's a hobby that can cater to whatever you want to take from it. That's the biggest reason why I wish there was a bit more variety with the leaderboard. This one is all about quantity, which is a huge turnoff to a significant number of hunter's. I don't check it out nearly as often, but I like the different boards over on PSNTL. The more broad ways of slicing and dicing up the profiles is much more interesting to me.

I also feel like adding some more leaderboards would perhaps get rid of some of the toxicity surrounding the games people choose to play. Right now people bitch at each other over the influx of easy plat stacks that have heavily inflated the current leaderboard. Right now, that's the only leaderboard there is so people are consuming, what seems like, garbage games hand over fist to try and scale the mountaintop. If there were more leaderboards to choose from, those of us that don't care about that particular way of ranking, could find some other way to compare. I mean, I really don't care one way or the other, I just play games and looking at the rarity is one of the factors I use when deciding sometimes.

I honestly wish Sony would stop allowing these stacks from entering the store but as we both know by now, that probably isn't going to happen. I literally discovered two indie games I might be interested in buying in the near future, that I basically missed because of all the crap coming in. It wasn't until I looked at other peoples reviews that I finally discovered them.

I will never be anywhere close to the top, so there's no point in me even trying. So I much prefer to play stuff I want to play. The diversity is probably the main reason why I enjoy trophy hunting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Briste said:

I also feel like adding some more leaderboards would perhaps get rid of some of the toxicity surrounding the games people choose to play.

It'll just shift to "Your UR is worse than mine because...".

16 hours ago, Briste said:

In Conqueror, the game started with you as a young boy with aspirations of becoming a Knight and perhaps the King of all England one day. You would cross the map of England and do tasks for people and compete in tournaments (jousting was impossible in this game). I want to say you would try to wooo a bonnie lass to be your bride. You could beat the game one of three ways I think...you could defeat the dragon (which involved jousting), you could win over the country by winning all the tournaments (which involved jousting) or you could just be a warlord and take England by force (the only way I could ever play the game). So, I'd take over fiefs and amass an army that was large enough to overthrow the king and try to win that way. The annoying thing about the game was the time limit. I think you had until you were like 30 years old to beat the game or it was game over. Time moved pretty quickly too iirc but the game was fun and challenging. I used to play it on and off for years until PC's got too good and too fast, that it couldn't play games like this anymore. I haven't played a game like this in close to 20 years probably.

You know where jousting was possible? In Defender of the Crown. 1986 was the future.

Well, somewhat. :giggle:

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Briste said:

The game was called Conqueror A.D. 1086

---

On 8/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Briste said:

Why did I just waste your time talking about this relic that nobody in the world played? Because Mount & Blade: Warband was awesomely similar to my lost relic. In M&B you choose a backstory by answering a few questions before you start, then you get to customize what your hero looks like and his/her name. Since you have to beat the game as a female for a trophy, I played as Bristina of the Kingdom of Vaegirs, daughter of a Merchant who spent my early life as a street urchin, fending for myself and learning the ways of the world. As a young adult, I became a troubadour to try and escape the streets due to my excellent singing voice and love of poetry. I decided to become an adventurer for reasons of revenge after the love of my life was killed!

I BEG YOUR PARDON SIR! I shall never forget the Elite Knights/King's Guard/whatever they were called going ARRRR every time they were chasing you down the corridor xD Given, I had no idea what I was doing in that game but damn it was fun. Hard to pick a damsel too!

Big congrats for the platinum! So glad there's at least another person who loved this game. Mount & Blade Warband is pure love and atmosphere and if I remember correctly, the original game (that had no story) was developed by a Turkish couple. So many lost hours in this game, it's one of the games I am afraid of because it's way too addictive!

Also Vaegirs are the best choice hands down. Slav squatting your way to victory ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Briste said:

That is so awesome that you know what I'm talking about. I had forgotten about the ARRRRR until you just mentioned it, but you are 100% right lol I remember once you got the Armor Piercing or Man-Eater Sword or something like that, combat became wicked easy, but it was still a ton of fun. Did you ever get any good at the jousting? I think I knocked one guy off his horse out of all the times I tried and I had no idea how it happened. There was no YouTube back in the day to learn how to do it and the game was obscure enough where I couldn't ask anyone. It was absolutely maddening lol 

Nope, I had NO idea how jousting worked, I barely knew proper english back then xD all I know is that I was flicking the mouse towards the knave that was trying to steal my damsel and he fell...most of the time. Not always though so I might have been lucky lol.

Damsels were pretty content with my Tournament strats though ? 

I should really re-pick that game on an emulator...

8 hours ago, Briste said:

I started out that way, but by the end I liked the Nords the best. I loved the Huscarls and I thought the tournaments in the Nord towns were the fastest to get through since you didn't have to worry about getting stuck with lances. Some of those tournaments where it was you vs someone else and you both had a lance took a pretty long time to finish lol I took over the Swadians first and ended up being pretty partial to Swadian Knights as well...I flat out hated the Khergit....I thought they had the worst troops when they were on my side and they were annoying to fight against since everyone was on a horse. Do you know of any other games that are like M&B? I don't want to go 20 years in between this style of play.

Lol everyone agrees that Khergits sucked ass xD goddamn spear tossers and bow users. However on high difficulties Khergits were the worst to defeat, since their aim was 360 noscope every time. Nords were badass in sieges but on battlefield I had a bunch of angry dwarves chasing down Swadian cavalry, battles took way more time.

As for the same style...sadly I don't know anything on Playstation other than Kingdom Come Deliverance (and it doesn't even come close, I know).

On PC you either have the upcoming Mount&Blade II Bannerlord (can't wait) or medieval simulators like Mordhau. Unfortunately M&B is one of its kind...

• Like 1

And tonight, the final episode of the saga of my rush to finish GBN. We left off at 1:30am on the night the event was over with a shiny new platinum trophy for the mediocre Déraciné and I was finally able to go to sleep having achieved my goal in the nick of time. Shut off my PS4, brushed my teeth and slipped into bed, hoping my wife wouldn't notice the time....anybody feel like I forgot something? I feel like I forgot something....I definitely forgot something....oh wait..........oh shit.....god dammit!!! Slip back out of bed, tip toe back downstairs and boot up the PS3. I had forgotten to pop the last trophy for Dragon Age: Origins!!! How funny would it have been if I did all that work at the deadline to finish all my numbers but failed because I forgot to pop the last trophy on a game that's been ready since the end of May? Well I turned on the PS3, loaded DA: Origins...started a new game in the Golem DLC, picked the warrior class, leveled up and ping!

Platinum #156

hCVONs1.png

Dragon Age: Origins

I had bought this whole series several years ago on sale, simply because it had the name Dragon in the title and it sounded cool. As I've made clear before, I do top notch research on all titles before purchasing. Well, I never really felt the itch to play them, what with all the other amazing games in my backlog, and it kept getting pushed back. After playing the ME series during the winter, I felt like I had waited long enough on this other Bioware series. I'd heard pretty good things about it and I loved the ME series so much I figured I should play this sooner rather than later. It also helped that I joined the PS3 event and the RPG event. Starting this series was killing many birds with one stone. The original plan was to play these back to back to back and have them ready to pop on my birthday platinum rain back in May, however that was scrapped once I started to get sidetracked on several other games. Then I was coming up on my platinum milestone and I had to decide if I wanted to squeeze these games in before 150 or after. I decided on after since there were a few other games that I had gotten into right around the time of my birthday and while this entry was ready to be popped on my birthday, I held off on it.

While I did have a good time with this game, it didn't have quite the same impact that Mass Effect did. It's not fair to compare this one game to the whole series yet since I haven't finished this series yet, but I felt like ME broke a whole lot more ground than this game did. Don't get me wrong, it is still quite good, but there were some things that felt pretty dated with this game. Mainly the combat. I decided to play as a Dwarven Noble Rogue (I almost always choose the rogue class when available). I usually play as a human character, but decided to mix it up a bit this time. The Dwarven Noble is betrayed by his brother and exiled from the city, only to be scooped up by the Wardens, who are the worlds best warriors against the upcoming blight. The blight being the invasion of the Dark Spawn and their Dragon leader. Through many betrayals and many quests and journeys, you become part of the last hope to save the Fereldan land from the Dark Spawn.

The story is pretty good and if you take the time to read all of the codex's, there is actually quite a bit of lore that goes with it. For a game over a decade old, the graphics were still pretty decent too. My favorite part of the game was the witty banter and voice acting. The voice acting was quite good, even if I heard 'A cunning trap!!' several hundred times. There was quite a bit of comedy and I really like how Bioware lets you choose the way that you want to reply to dialogue. You could be virtuous, funny or a complete dick. I usually choose the virtuous or funny ways, but in order to manipulate some relationships in this game, you are forced to be a dick from time to time. My goal was to limit my number of playthroughs to one if possible. These longer games can get brutal sometimes when you have to do full playthroughs for one or two trophies. That was actually the biggest downside to ME for me, the quest trophies that required 3 playthroughs...In this game, the thing that looked like it would cause a couple playthroughs was the romance trophies and the leveling trophies.

Supposedly, it's really hard to romance both Leliana and Morrigan in the same playthrough. I actually did it by accident. I didn't read up on how to do the romances until after I had already romanced two people. What I did was romance Morrigan as soon as I could by focusing on all of her stuff right away. I had barely even spoken to Leliana by the time I had finished the Morrigan romance. I broke off the romance with Morrigan pretty amicably and then had a quick rebound fling with Zevran, who didn't seem to mind the fling part of it. I then did Leliana's romance just fine and she ended up being my one and special someone throughout the remainder of the game. That meant I only had to do a very brief playthrough with a female character to romance Alistair. I still think it's weird to watch a sex scene in these games and for some reason it seems like it's a prerequisite to releasing a Bioware game....but I was happy that the number of playthroughs wasn't going to be the thing that soured my experience with the game.

So, I had mentioned that I felt the combat wasn't terribly good. That's not exactly true. The reason I felt it wasn't good is due to the fact it is an auto attack setup. Engage the enemy, and then just sit there. I mean I guess it can be better than mashing buttons, but it was just kind of boring. I was dual wielding for a while and then made the change to a bow about a third of the way into the game. The damage on the bow was pretty sick once you upgraded the abilities and it kept me pretty safe throughout. While the actual combat itself was pretty boring, I did like how they handled abilities in this game. I thought it was cool how they had 3 different types of abilities. Passive abilities, which are always active; active abilities, which are ones that occur right after you use them; and sustained abilities, which are ones that eat up a certain percentage of your stamina, but are always active until you turn them off. For example, the 'Aim' archery ability eats up 5% of your stamina permanently while active, however while active, that ability decreases your rate of fire while raising a bunch of other stats like accuracy and damage. You can flip it on or off whenever you want, which I thought was a cool wrinkle. I can't recall playing another game like that and it was a pretty innovative way to make combat have a lot more dimensions to it.

There was a ton of DLC for this game and they were mostly fine....it added a little depth to the characters and lore, but I don't think they really needed to be made. They were definitely worth paying for since they did eliminate two near full playthroughs from the base game. There is a trophy for getting each job class to level 20. I beat the entire game, doing everything and my rogue was only level 24....so to get the other two jobs to level 20 would have basically been full playthroughs. The good news is with two of the DLC's, your character starts at level 20 so you just have to start the DLC with the other job types, press the 'level up' button and the trophies will pop. It saved a good 40-50 hours of replaying the same game. Not that the game isn't good enough to play through 3 times....but I have so many games I want to play that unless additional playthroughs really add something to the experience, I'd rather move onto something else. I'll do it if I have to, but things that cut out several hours of repetitiveness are a win in my book. The grindiest trophy was for killing 1000 darkspawn. For a game about eliminating the dark spawn....you don't really fight a lot of them throughout the game. You fight a ton in the beginning and a ton at the end and not much in between. Fortunately, the counter for the game seems to count all playthroughs and times you reload a prior save. I ended up just replaying one of the last zones over and over until it popped. It was really the only grind-y trophy though.

So....now that I popped this trophy I had truly and officially finished my GBN event and could go to sleep. It was 2:00am by the time I went to bed, but looking at this awesome badge by @Spacey Dweeb

Briste.png

I think the effort was worth it. It's also fitting that Dragon Age: Origins is the game to get me my dragon badge :) 

I'm going to take a break from some events for a bit so I can clean up some of the stuff in my backlog. Most events don't allow DLC only playthroughs to count, so I'll never be able to finish TLOU2 or KH3 or AHIT if I keep signing up for stuff. Once those beasts are slain, I'll be back in the saddle!

• Like 3