Trophies for Mental Health III

Cool, I'm in.

I'm likely not going sidetracked for this, since I do plan to finish my Persona 4 Golden challenge during the month, and will submit it as my entry..

My second game will likely be Shenmue 2 (I think that it has outdoors activities, like working.. if it's like the 1st game) or Assassin's Creed Rogue, since I'm planing to use them for another event, and it's a good excuse to get it done now..

Not sure what I would suggest that would fit broadly into the theme, but maybe Persona (3, 4 or 5 main games) or Nier Automata..

• Like 4

Good luck to anyone doing this! I haven't really got the time at the moment sadly.

I can't believe it's already the 3rd time this event has happened.

I remember participating in the first..... two years have gone soooo quickly....

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

Count me in, one more time!

It's amazing to keep seeing this event returning and participating in it.

Not sure what games I'll be playing, but at least for the bonus game it's possible I'll finish FF IX which is what I'm currently playing.

My suggestions from my played games are the following:

- Life is Strange;

- Life is Strange: Before the Storm

- The Walking Dead (Any from the Telltale Series)

- Lone Survivor

- Last Day of June

• Like 4

Happy to join the event this year again! Thanks for hosting it again! I have no clue what I'll play for this year yet, but that's not a today problem! 

Suggestions for others:

-Concrete Genie (mine in 2021) [bullying, self-expression, isolationism, cliques, belonging]

-Alan Wake Remastered (mine in 2022) [nightmares, delirium, hope/darkness]

-Returnal [trauma, regret, (bad) parenting, lack of belonging/accomplishment, perseverance]

-Horizon Zero Dawn [isolationism, belonging, loss, apathy]

-The Last of Us (any iteration of the first installment) [loss, trauma, selfishness vs. selflessness]

Edited by Im2Fast_4U
Added themes covered by the games but remained spoiler free for folks to explore themselves
  • Like 4

It's a bit ironic to see a moderator on a forum notorious for its refusal to do anything about rampant bigotry host an event for mental health. Statistically, the people most affected by mental health issues are marginalized people - women, people of color, queer people, etc; bigotry and mental health issues are directly related. But I suppose that actually creating safe spaces for people with mental health issues lacks the immediate gratification that can be obtained through performative allyship.

Honestly, as someone who struggled with mental health issues for a significant part of her life, "mental health awareness" is borderline offensive. It usually ends up consisting of a bunch of neurotypicals circlejerking about how sympathetic they are to the poor mentally ills without ever actually consulting people with mental health issues. Ironically, little to no effort is put into actually uplifting the voices of people who have actually dealt with mental health issues. We are treated as objects and or problems even during a month supposedly dedicated to us. The last two years, I didn't bother saying anything, but given recent events and the atrocious state of this forum this one feels particularly bitter.

If you want to financially support mentally ill people, giving money to a random charity which will use a significant portion of your contribution on paying its employees, advertising, etc is unlikely to do that. Give the money to a person you know with mental health issues who is struggling. Or if you don't know anybody, search "mentally ill" or something similar on GoFundMe. Mentally ill people are more likely to be poor than non-mentally ill people, both because mental health issues interfere with one's ability to earn money and because the stress of poverty (including being unable to afford mental healthcare) can exacerbate and even cause mental health issues; a person with depression struggling to pay rent, buy food, or pay medical expenses will find a much more immediate usage for your money than some random charity.

• Like 1

I'd like to join this event please.

I'll either be doing Lone Survivor or LIMBO. Unsure which one as of yet.

The only game I have on my profile that grapples with mental health is We Happy Few which deals with addiction and drug abuse.

• Like 2

I'm In Again, Thank you so much for running this @Beyondthegrave07

I still don't know what games should I play for this but I can recommend:

1. Life is Strange 1, Before the Storm and True Colors

2. The Last of US and The Last of US Part 2

3. What Remains of Edith Finch

4. Celeste

5. Lost Word: Beyond The Page

• Like 1

Absolutely sign me up for this! Mental health is an incredibly important topic to me, and I remember participating in one of these in the past. And since we have to offer up some recommendations from our own profile...

Minute of Islands is a really interesting hand drawn story about living up to expectations and finding yourself growing toxic from them. Super fun game- short, but it gets its point across well.

Night in the Woods really captures the feeling of a total mental breakdown. The mania that comes from it, the awkward conversations with family of why you suddenly dropped out of college, the trying to explain to close friends what exactly you're feeling while also knowing it makes no sense. It's extremely well done. I guess the trophies used to not work for this one, but I can confirm it is glitch free these days.

Severed deals with family trauma and PTSD, and how that can negatively impact one's image and memories. Quite literally seeing part of yourself as no longer belonging to you, you kind of have to go out of your way to find the true meaning of this one, but since you'll be getting the platinum, you'll be doing that anyway! It's also only on the Vita, if you wanted to bust that out for this event.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is easily the most realistic and accurate portrayal of what it feels like to be undergoing psychosis. They really went the extra mile for this, interviewing countless people dealing with this mental illness, and portraying it in a way that I think the average person will be able to understand. If you do play this one, I heavily recommend playing with headphones on to get the full experience.

Hope these are enough- all of these games are excellent portrayals of mental health. Happy May everyone!

• Like 1

I apologize for not including recommendations in my first post, but it was late last night and I honestly can't really think of too many games that would be good examples off my trophy list. I'll throw down some that might apply though.

The MISSING: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories: Explaining in detail how this game tackles mental health issues would at least partially spoil the ending so I don't want to do that. But it's a pretty easy platformer adventure game with an excellent story. It's a short game that can probably be completed in a day or two if you're quick, but is ultimately not really worth it's full asking price. If you see it on sale or have PS+ extra, it's a great game to play, especially for an event like this.

It Takes Two: The main characters have a child who blames herself for her parents' divorce, which highlights what kind of mental struggles kids go through when parents separate. But it's not really deeply explored or a main part of the game or anything. Game can only be played in co-op, just a heads up to people.

Atelier Ryza 1: One of the main characters has an alcoholic, abusive father who is regularly causing minor trouble around town which bears both emotional and physical consequences for his son. But again, I'm not sure if the relativity minor presence of these issues makes it a good choice for this event.

Other than that, other people have already made a lot of good recommendations that I might have mentioned. That's all I got.

• Like 1