Trophies for Mental Health III

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, this has been a busy month. I didn't get to all the games I wanted, so I guess I'll have to look through the ones I finished and see which one fits the event the best. Let's see... I did Haven, The Artful Escape, Deliver Us The Moon, Doom Eternal, and Inside. None of them are particularly outdoorsy for the bonus badge. Particularly that last one. Wow, I'm bad at this.

OK, uh... So, The Artful Escape is a game about finding out who you're not. That's how it advertises itself. You play as the nephew of a famous country musician. After your uncle dies, everybody in your small town expects you to carry on his legacy, but you'd rather play rock 'n roll. I was instantly reminded of Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny. I don't think that's what the developers were going for. But the point is that a lot of people really do feel like the black sheep in their family. I don't want to make this sound like a sob story because I was blessed with a really good family, even if we didn't always get along (and still don't), but expectations can be a lot to put on a person -- especially if they aren't committed to that path. In the game, you're whisked away by Carl Weathers to explore the cosmos. It's not really clear to me whether it was intended to be a whimsical adventure or a drug-induced dream, but I think I'm going to go with the former. I like when fantastical journeys are real, and it reminds me of something like Alice in Wonderland or Narnia or The Wizard of Oz or Harry Potter, where the main character travels to this exotic world in order to grow as a person. That's the biggest reason I hate the whole "It was all just a dream" ending. If you take away that journey, then you're essentially rejecting the growth that came with it. You might as well not even have a story then. Fortunately, The Artful Escape does a tasteful job at pretty much everything it sets out to do, and I definitely think it's worth playing. It's free right now on PS+.

Yes, I know the platinum is super common, but I don't see me having time to complete anything longer by next week.

So the mental health aspect was the mental stress put on someone by their family name and societal pressures and the growth of figuring out who you are through that struggle?

Just wanted to make sure I interpreted that correctly. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

So the mental health aspect was the mental stress put on someone by their family name and societal pressures and the growth of figuring out who you are through that struggle?

Just wanted to make sure I interpreted that correctly. :P

Yup. It's just presented in a creative way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Briste said:

I'm not sure if this will be kosher or not, but I haven't 'finished' my game for the event. I have all of the trophies but one for Final Fantasy VI. The one I'm missing is for getting all of my characters to level 50. I'm one battle away from Gogo hitting 50 and the trophy will pop. Since FFVI is my favorite game of all time, I am saving it to pop as a milestone and I'm 139 trophies away from 9000. I am going to play a couple of shorter games this week that should get me there soon, but I don't think I'll hit the mark by the end of the day tomorrow. If that is ok, great, if it's not in the spirit of the rules, that's ok too.

I've decided to use this game for a few reasons...first, this game was instrumental for my own mental health as a young teen when it came out for the SNES back in 1993, and I've found it to be there for me again now when I've needed it again. The game also, surprisingly, does tackle several mental health issues through out. I'll tackle each of these one at at time here...

Final Fantasy VI has a surprising amount of mental health issues it tackles. Many of the characters deal with some sort of regret or inner demon that impacts how they function, but together they find a common goal to fight for, and in the process, help themselves along the way. Suicide is a potential theme in the game (depending on some choices you make throughout), PTSD, abandonment, anxiety, self doubt and several other types of mental health issues are broached in this game. There are twelve playable characters in the game and at least nine of them get a pretty fleshed out background story if you see all of the cutscenes. The game is thirty years old, but I'm going to avoid spoilers since it is very likely 'new' for many younger gamers today. I do not wish to rob anyone of the experience. I was able to experience this game before the advent of trophies and played it because it was an amazing game. I played this game without any of the boosts because I was looking to recreate my experience as close to my experience as a kid as possible. I will say that this game did that for 90% of the time outside of the Opera scene. That scene was special to me as a kid, mostly because of the music and I found the lyrics to be compelling...well the music is still great and they fancied up the graphics a bit....but they changed the lyrics which I did not appreciate. I was really bummed at that part, but otherwise the game was perfect. The meat and potatoes of why I am choosing this game as my game is in the spoiler below.

I have said some of this before, but this is my personal story and is very long so do not feel bad if you ignore it. I do think it's a good story though so if you do take the time to read it, thank you.

Reveal hidden contents

I want to preface what I'm about to write by saying that I am more fortunate than most. I've always had a roof over my head and never had to wonder where my next meal was coming from. I have a supportive, but flawed, family....so right off the bat I want to put what I'm going to say into perspective. With that out of the way....we've all been (or are currently) young...we have all had our own versions of feeling alone or isolated or misunderstood or whatever. For me, that came in the form alcoholism. My parents were divorced when I was five and my mother made my brother and I her primary focus. She owned a local ice cream/short order restaurant and we were pretty visible within the local community due to that. It was a small town and I knew everyone in my class and everyone knew me. Outside of the divorce, I had a pretty incident-free childhood when I was in elementary school. I don't ever remember alcohol being a party of our lives and I was a pretty sheltered and probably spoiled child with both parents trying to buy our affection. My mother did it since that was her love language and my father did it to spite my mother....in either scenario, we had it pretty ok all things considered.

This changed pretty significantly once I hit 8th grade. For the first time since my father had left when I was five, my mother had a boyfriend. She was a relatively young mother (had me when she was 22) so she was about 35 when she met him. He was about 27 or 28 though and was still in his 'party' phase. My mother, I'm assuming in an attempt to feel 'young' again, did her best to keep up with him. Every night they'd go out and get hammered and come home late. At first I didn't notice it since it much since we were home alone a lot with my mother working full days at the restaurant, it wasn't uncommon to go to bed before she was home...but it soon became pretty apparent.

He was also divorced and had two small children of his own who were only three and two years old. A few months into the relationship, he and my mother took the girls, my brother and I to a local carnival. We had a good time, but when we went to drop the girls back off at their mother's house, there was a note on the door that said 'We've left for Hawaii, the girls are your problem now'. Her boyfriend, let's call him 'Joe', was living with his parents at the time and didn't have the space for the girls. My mother, being the good person she is, volunteered to let him and his girls move in with us. He accepted and after only three months, our two bedroom house when from three occupants to six. My mom turned our dining room into a bedroom for she and 'Joe' and my brother and I shared a room while the girls shared the other room. I was twelve or thirteen and was not really mentally prepared for this kind of living arrangement. At the time, I liked 'Joe' and his girls were great, but with both my mom and 'Joe' working full-time, I now became the de-facto parent as the oldest sibling.

Once they moved in, it became much more obvious how self-destructive that relationship was going to be. Instead of going out and getting hammered, it was happening at home. I was already an angsty teen, trying to figure out who and what kind of person I wanted to be, and this stress wasn't helping. As I mentioned, my mother owned the restaurant and I had started working there when I was twelve. In an effort to help 'Joe' earn some extra money, he was also working there now. The drinking started to become day-drinking at work. Needless to say, this was a recipe for disaster. After six or so months of this, something unbelievable happened. My mother and 'Joe' had gone out to pick up a pizza for dinner, and my brother and I were left to watch the girls. I had put on 'The Lion King' for them in the living room and I had gone upstairs to play Final Fantasy III (SNES). They were only going to be gone for twenty minutes or so, and I wanted to play my game. My plan had been to play for fifteen minutes or so and then go downstairs so it'd look like we'd been with the girls the whole time they were gone...After about ten minutes, the door opened and the girls said 'Mommy!'. They had been calling my mother 'Mommy' for a while now so I thought that I'd just lost track of time and they were back with pizza. I told my brother to run downstairs quick with a blanket and that I would flush the toilet to make it sound like I was going to the bathroom. We didn't want to be in trouble for not being in the room. My brother (who was eleven) yelled up to me that the girls were not in the living room and our door was wide open.

I sprinted downstairs while my brother ran out to look for them. He saw a truck backing out of our driveway with a person holding the youngest of the two in front of their face, backing away. By the time I had gotten outside, they were gone. My brother was crying and our neighbors were running over to see what was going on. We told them someone had taken the girls and they ran to call 911. While that was happening, my mother and 'Joe' came back with the pizza. We told them what had happened and they dropped the pizza and took off in their car down the street. They didn't know which way to go, but they left in a panic either way.

Shortly after, the police arrived and my brother and I told them what had happened and what we saw. The interview took place at my mother's restaurant (which was across the street from our house). The radio was playing in the background, and Elton John's 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight' came over the radio and I just lost it. It was my fault that this had happened...if I had been downstairs watching the girls like I should have been...I could have stopped them from being taken. I felt such overwhelming grief and guilt and was inconsolable for quite some time after. After TWO DAYS, the girls mother contacted 'Joe' to let him know that they had come back to town and taken the girls back. For TWO DAYS, this human being let us think that these girls had been kidnapped and were missing. Because she was the biological mother and she claimed that she had never abandoned them or kidnapped them, nothing ever happened to her. What did happen, was over the next six months, a huge custody battle took place where my mother spent her life savings trying to get these girls back to 'Joe' and us. 

During that time period, something happened that would impact my ability to have friends over for a long time. I ended up being used as a pawn in the custody battle by the girls mother. In an effort to prove that we were an unfit and unsafe household, they accused me of child abuse. The youngest had some bruises on her back in the shape of a handprint. They had taken her to the doctor for pictures and they claimed that I had abused her. I found out they accused me of that when the police showed up to my house one afternoon and took me in for questioning. This happened in front of three of my friends that had just come over to ride bikes. I had never touched the youngest daughter in a rough manner, let alone abused her. They took measurements of my hand to compare to the bruises and could clearly see that the marks on her back were way bigger than my hand was. I was allowed to go home and no charges ever came about, but the damage was done. Never mind that I was 'arrested' in front of my friends and none of their parents would let them hang out with me after that...someone had hurt the poor little girl and the whole thing turned into a shit show. My family was quickly becoming a town spectacle and I was embarrassed to be around anyone outside of two people that didn't completely abandon me as a friend. I was very lucky to have them and they knew everything was bullshit and helped keep me from going in too dark a place.

Anyway, after several months, we had won custody of the girls, but as I mentioned, my mother had spent all of her savings on getting it done. Once she was out of money, 'Joe' took off and abandoned his daughters with my mother....two days after that, the girls mother came and took them home again. It was all for nothing. 'Joe' turned out to be a con man and was only interested in my mom as long as she was paying for shit. Once the lifestyle he wanted was gone, so was he. We were not rich people by any means either. We were a middleclass family, being raised by a single mom, who's dad was busy with his new family to take an interest in what we were doing. I've had conversations with my mother about this time in her life and she describes it as having her 'soul removed from her body...that man broke me'.

What had been a nuisance when 'Joe' was around, became an addiction shortly after. My mother could not go through a day without alcohol. 'Joe' was with us for about 18 months and he caused irreparable harm to my family in that time. While my mother claims she was a 'functioning alcoholic' during that time...she was far from functioning. I was 14 years old and I had to become the parent. Thankfully, I had amazing grandparents who lived in town and made sure we were never wanting for anything...but shortly after 'Joe' left, our house was foreclosed upon and we were forced to move in with my grandparents. The worst part about that was the giant sign that they hung on our fence to announce the foreclosure sale so the whole town could see what was going on. I had become a punching bag in school for bullies who could spot weakness. I had always been taught that if you ignore a bully, they'll just go away eventually. I'm not sure that is true after my experience, but that's what I did.

I got made fun of for everything. My nose was too big, my hair too greasy, my acne disgusting, the tongues on my shoes were too big, the Champion sweatshirts I wore had too big of cuffs. I swear, it was wild the shit other people would notice to pick on me about. I was feeling absolutely worthless. I didn't want to go to school for fear of what would be said to me next and I didn't want to go home because I was so embarrassed by my mother. The only two escapes I had were baseball and video games. Outside of baseball practice and work, I didn't socialize with people much. I would stay in my room and listen to Metallica and play my SNES. Final Fantasy III (SNES) was the game I gravitated towards the most. Never mind that it was a great game, but I felt like I connected so deeply with some of the characters. Locke Cole was my guy. I understood how he felt. I would name his character after me in the game and I would name Celes as my crush at the time. 

Locke felt like a failure to the world because he felt like it was his fault that the love of his life died. He was forever trying to protect other people the way he couldn't protect her. He had confidence issues, but always wanted to do what was right. It was a character that I would live vicariously through during my teenage years. I played this game for hundreds and hundreds of hours. The Opera scene had a dedicated save file and the music of that part of them game could move me to tears if the moment was right. I am so thankful for this game at that time in my life. I spent many afternoons distracted by this game and it used to make me feel some sort of hope that things could get better. Many games did that at the time, Warsong, Shining Force, all Final Fantasy games, but Final Fantasy III (SNES) was the most important one to me.

I used to think about killing myself almost daily. I was clearly not someone that had any value in this world. The bullies at school helped make me feel like I was an unlikeable, ugly loser and my mother made me feel like I had no safety in this world and that not even family mattered. The problem with that was that my mother truly is a good person. In the times I'd catch her sober, she'd be this great mom, who made me feel like she did truly love me....then you'd see her drunk (she thought no one could notice) and I'd be horrified out in public, watching her slur words and stumble around. By this time my classmates were old enough to work at the restaurant, and they could see everyday how fucked up she'd get. Of course, a lot of them thought I had a cool mom since she didn't care if we drank....but I never felt that way. I was embarrassed that she was so drunk that I'd have to drive home from things at 14 years old and 15 years old. I was embarrassed that I'd have to almost carry her out of the restaurant to her car. I spent my days ashamed, guilty and embarrassed...because at the end of the day, I felt like this was my fault for not being downstairs when those girls were taken.

The reason I didn't end up killing myself was because of those moments where my mom was sober. I wanted that person back and I knew that if I killed myself, that would be the nail in her coffin as well. If 'Joe' took her soul...I would be taking her life and I couldn't do that to her or my brother. So I did the only thing that made sense to me...I gave up caring. Not caring about things made it a lot harder to be hurt when things happened. I figured out how to endure and just stuck to the things that mattered to me...sports and video games. I was able to make it through high school with this attitude. No one knew of course, how unhappy I was. I was convinced that I was the problem and didn't want to take it out on anyone else. It wasn't their fault I was me after all...I was a nice as I could be. I always volunteered to be the DD at parties...shit, I volunteered to show up to parties just to drive people home safely. I wouldn't drink because of what I saw it doing to my mother, but I wouldn't be a stick in the mud either by ruining other people's good time. I later learned that a lot of people genuinely did like me, but I was so convinced I was worthless that I thought they were just being nice to me since they knew how much I sucked and didn't want me to feel bad. I tried a few times to let my mother know how unhappy I was, but she never truly understood. I told her to listen to the song Wonderful by Everclear if she wanted to know how I felt about things, but because it is an ironically peppy song and she never actually listened to the words...she thought I was telling her my life was wonderful. I stopped trying after that.

I thought that college was going to be the end of the torture for me. With me away, I couldn't be affected by her drinking anymore. While that was mostly true since it was out of sight, out of mind...it still was there. My poor brother was now trapped alone in that house dealing with it by himself. His temperament was not the same as mine and he was having a much harder time of it but also didn't let anyone know. While I withdrew to my room and tried to be nice to everyone, he was trying to cope by creating a false sense of confidence and just creating nonsense to build himself up. He would make up stories to tell his friends to make them think he was cool. It was of course that much more devastating for him when his house of cards fell around him, but like me, he internalized his pain. The last straw for me came when my baseball team was having a fundraiser. It was a casino night and I was dealing blackjack. My grandparents were supposed to come up with my mom and take me and my roommates out to dinner afterwards. Well the night came and went and they never showed up. I called my grandparents to see if everything was ok, and they just told me that they didn't want to embarrass me in front of my team. They would not bring her to visit in the condition she was in.

When I got back to my dorm room that night, I wrote my mother an email. I told her that I was done and that this communication was the last time that I would ever speak to her unless she got help. I poured my heart out in that email and truly thought I would be on my own. I thought I had killed most of my emotions, but I was wrong...she could still hurt me and I didn't want it anymore. I had started to learn in college, that I was not the terrible troll that the bullies in high school made me feel like I was. When I started to hear some of the same nice things said about me to me from the college kids, I started to think that maybe that's who I was. Maybe those kids that weren't bullies in high school weren't just being nice to me since we had grown up together, but were actually telling me the truth. Maybe I was worth something to someone and I started to develop some confidence in myself. I wasn't going to let my mother take that away from me anymore and I let her know that.

I have to give my mother a ton of credit here...she checked herself into rehab the next day and has not had a drink since. She proved to me that I mattered to her and she continues to prove it to me today. I still have a lot of built up scar tissue from that time, but I have learned (and continue to learn) to care about things again. We have a pretty good relationship (can't say the same for her and my brother...) and things are better. It's been a 22 year repair job and it's been a lot of work, but I have forgiven her. For a long time I forgot that someone hurt her very badly. I was so consumed with my own hurt, that I was ignoring her hurt. It's hard, I think, for most kids to recognize the hurt in their parents and it is forgotten that they are people too. As an almost 42 year old man, with my own kids now, I understand better how hard that must've been for her then and how hard it must be for her now having seen what she made us go through. Mental health is a continuous thing and needs constant work. Part 2 of this manifesto will go into that....

Once my mother checked into rehab, I thought my darkest days might be behind me. While those days were probably my darkest...I still had some darkness lurking. My mother's sobriety started my sophomore year of college. At the beginning of my junior year, two days after 9/11 actually, my father committed suicide and I was once again tested mentally. It turns out that while I was going through all of that shit I just wrote about, my father was also suffering in silence. It turns out that my father was Manic Depressive and Bi-Polar and didn't tell anyone. He had been going to therapy, however he did it at the request of his new family for his anger issues and not because he actually wanted to get better. He knew what the therapists wanted to hear and said all the right things to make him appear ok...he was not.

It turns out that my aunt, my father's sister, had committed suicide when they were in high school and he was the one to find her. I did not even know she existed until after my father died. I wish someone had told me, because it would have possibly made me seek professional help when I was contemplating suicide if I knew there was a family history of it. Apparently my father also had intended to commit suicide after divorcing my mother as he had no intentions of taking care of himself. Fortunately, (or unfortunately considering the mess he left behind) he met my stepmother shortly after the divorce and he had someone new to take care of him. My father was one of the smartest people I've ever known and was apparently a master of manipulation. He appears to have been somewhat sociopathic as he never felt empathy for those he used to get what he needed/wanted. I learned more about my father after he died than I ever knew when he was alive. What I heard scared me, because I know I'm capable of those things. I have lied, way too easily sometimes, to avoid confrontation or get out of something I didn't want to do. The difference is I always felt bad about it afterwards and often ended up coming clean to clear my conscience. It wasn't easy, but I literally couldn't sleep at night if I thought I was doing something that could potentially hurt someone. I had been hurt too much to be the source of hurt for others...if I'm being honest now, I still lie fairly often, but it's always to spare someone hurt rather than to get what I want...

My father had told his brother, my uncle, of his intentions two weeks prior to him doing the deed. My uncle tried to talk him out of it but at the end of the day, what could he do? After 9/11 happened and the stock market crashed, my father, who used to brag about how much money he'd made in the stock market, decided it was time. He had recently separated from my step mother (with whom he had two more children), and bought a house down the street from her to live. Now, with no one to take care of him and no money to validate his intelligence and lifestyle, he ended it. He sent an email to my step mother telling her not to have the kids come over that day (they are a decade younger than I so were only 8 and 10) and to let the police know they could collect his body. When they showed up to his house, he had already completed his taxes for the year and put a post-it note on all of his belongings, that weren't included in his will, with the name of the person who was to receive the item. I wasn't allowed in, but from what I was told, there were hundreds of post-it notes scattered throughout. I can't imagine how weird that must have been for my stepmother and the police.

Even though I hadn't had much of a relationship with my father previously, before I had gone back to college that year, we had had a BBQ at his house that had given me hope for the future. He had gone shark fishing with my uncle earlier that day and had fresh Mako shark that he was grilling up. The town was having an 'end of summer' fireworks show and he invited my brother and I over to watch. We ate outside on his deck, chatted like we never had before, and watched the fireworks. He talked about how much he enjoyed spending time with us that night and that we'd have to do it more often the following summer. It was the best night I'd ever had with my father...I had hope for a relationship going forward that I had craved growing up. It was that night that made his death so much harder to stomach. According to my uncle, it was that fishing trip that my father had told him he was going to kill himself. If my father knew that....why would he invite us over and talk about the future? Why would he give us that false hope? It took me a long time to rationalize this, and while I'll never really know the answer, I figure it was his way to say good bye to us. He was giving us a good memory before he left. It probably did more damage than good, but that is the best I can come up with.

In the months following his death was when I learned about his mental health issues and about his nature as a person. I found some of his journals where he wrote some of his thoughts and I felt like I understood why he did what he did. He talked about how he was incapable of feeling love for or feeling loved by other people. He saw people as a means to an end and that life was by and large a cosmic joke. None of us will be remembered in a hundred years so what does it matter what we do now? Very few people make an impact that lasts outside of having kids to continue the species, but there is no God, and if there is, he's a rotten caretaker of his creation considering all that is allowed to happen. While I agree with a lot of his thoughts, I process it different. He felt it life didn't matter so it didn't matter what he did. While I also think none of us will really be remembered in 100 years (honestly, how many people even know their great grandparents names?), I think it is our job in our lifetime to make things better for those around us. Life is hard and we should be doing our best to make it easier for others. I don't care that no one will remember my name in a 100 years because if I can make those lives are interact with better around me (especially my kids), then I will have done my job with my time here. If my kids then do that for their kids, then we did great. I have no delusions of grandeur and just think we need to do right by people. I think that is the biggest difference between the two of us and if he wasn't able to feel loved or show love, I could understand not seeing the point.

That's how I rationalized it and that's how I moved on with my life. I looked at it from what I thought was his perspective as a 20 year old kid...and that was how I felt about it until the 20th anniversary of his death. Time has added perspective to my life. When I reflected on what he did as a 20 year old, it made sense....when I reflected on it as a 40 year old dad...I struggled. My father was 47 when he died and I am fast approaching that age. I have kids and family and all of a sudden, what my father did wasn't making sense to me anymore. As I have mentioned above, I feel it is my job as a dad and a husband to endure. Whatever pain comes a long, I feel it is my job to absorb it and deflect it when I can and I cannot imagine inflicting the pain on my children that my father did to me and my siblings. I was asking myself, why couldn't my father endure like I could? Was I not important enough to him for him to endure? I looked at the previous 20 years and saw all the things my father missed by making that choice. He never met my wife, he never met his grandchildren, he never knew me as a man....he gave up too early. I felt deeply saddened all over again by what he had done. He not only deprived my siblings and I of a father, but he deprived my children of a grandfather. I think he would have liked my kids. I think he would have liked my wife. Why couldn't he ask for help? Why couldn't he try?

For all the good things that had happened to me in the 20 years since he had died, I was suddenly back in a sad place. I think the answer to all of my questions are that he couldn't due to his mental diseases. He couldn't seek the help on his own and therefore couldn't endure and couldn't see the potential for happiness in the future so didn't see the point anymore. I struggled with this for weeks and did something for the first time, that I definitely should have done earlier...I called my brother and asked him how he had processed all of this. Well it became very apparent immediately that he hadn't. I touched an open wound and sent my brother spiraling out of control. I had known he was already out of control a bit....he's in a toxic marriage where he and his wife are not kind to each other....where they drink and physically, psychologically and emotionally abuse the shit out of each other. The horror of it all is that they have two small children and I did not realize it was as bad as it is until I asked him two years ago. My inquiry but him on a drinking binge that had me talking to him many times a week. We rehashed a lot of what I wrote above and I learned of some other horrors that had happened to him while I was out of the house that contributed to him having a harder time than I did. I called the suicide hotline twice while talking to him and I suddenly felt like my uncle talking to my father. What the hell do I do? All I could do is listen and remind him that it is our job to endure for our children. Seek help. Do not repeat the same mistakes our parents made.

It didn't do much good, he checked into rehab briefly, but his problems were right there when he got our and he immediately went back to drinking. Thankfully, this past fall, his in-laws had kind of an intervention with he and his wife about their alcohol abuse. They both went to rehab for a month to try and get clean. This time they did it on their own and this time I had hope. My mother flew down to help with their children while they were in rehab. My brother is still very blunt and rough towards my mother due to their history, and wasn't terribly appreciative of her help. In all fairness to him though, my mother does have a hard time with boundaries and following directions so I can understand a bit of his contempt...but anyways my mother left and they were supposed to be on the mend. That's when the next hardship came...two weeks after they got out of rehab, my 7 year old niece started to feel sick. She was throwing up and they took her to the doctor where they found a golf ball sized tumor at the base of her skull. She had emergency surgery to remove the tumor and she was diagnosed with cancer....

No matter how bad we thought we had it, it pales in comparison to my poor niece. She has been going through chemo for the past few months and has one more round of chemo to go before she is done. Apparently, she's responding well to the treatments, but my brother tells me if it comes back, the mortality rate is 100%. She has been a trooper, but considering the personal demons that my brother and his wife are going through, I have real concerns about all of their well-being. My brother is extremely private and does not like to share updates since he does not want to 'relive' the experience, so I try to give him his space...but it is hard. My mother sold her home so that she could live with them while my niece is undergoing the treatments and watch my nephew...but from what she's telling me...it's a mess down there. Thankfully, they appear to be sober for their daughter, but who knows? My brother is much more like my father than I am and I try not to think about this being a 'not if but when' scenario. I'm hoping that this terrible time in their lives can be a catalyst for them to get their shit together, but it's been exhausting for everyone involved.

So here's the big question...why the fuck did I just share all of this? Well, some of it is selfish....I find it therapeutic to share and put my thoughts on out there....secondly I found it to be relevant to the event. Not everyone is as comfortable sharing as I am and maybe some of what I said resonates with someone out there. Whether it's the bullying, suicide, alcoholism, abuse or whatever...I think it's good to know that there are other people out there that have been to dark places and come out ok in the end. Life is short but it is also a long fucking time. In the moment, we can't see all that is coming our way. Would my father have found happiness with his grandchildren? Who knows, but he was too shortsighted and impatient to see. The point is, we don't know what's coming in our future and if we all take the time to take care of our needs, perhaps that good time is out there for us. As I wrote, there was a time when I felt worthless, unlovable and alone and I am not married, with two amazing children that have given my life meaning and a career. I never went to therapy, but I used my friends as therapists and did a lot of reflection to get through the darkness. There are a lot of resources out there and if my experience or message can help anyone out there, I'll share it a thousand times over. I've made mistakes. I continue to make mistakes, but I forgive myself, learn from it, and move on to do better next time. I really don't want to sound like Tony Robbins here...I just want to help.

Honestly, if you took the time to read all of that, I hope it was worth your time. Be well and thank you again to @Beyondthegrave07 for hosting. I will post my bonus game in a MUCH shorter post tomorrow.

I think you understand the spirit of the event, and honestly, that's what counts the most. I can easily verify your story too so I'll go ahead and count it for the donation... however, I want an update when the game is platted and then I'll hand over the badge.

How does that sound?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think you understand the spirit of the event, and honestly, that's what counts the most. I can easily verify your story too so I'll go ahead and count it for the donation... however, I want an update when the game is platted and then I'll hand over the badge.

How does that sound?

Works for me! Thanks!

I'm playing two Life is Strange games which are about 90 of those trophies. I'm hoping by next weekend to have it popped.  Thanks again!

• Like 3