Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

On 5/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, Copanele said:

A heartwarming shoutout to @AihaLoveleaf, @yuber1234 and @Honor_Hand for coping with my rants without blocking me xD Truly great fellas and probably the only good point of this game. Ranting with friends about it is fun, not gonna lie.

THE GOOD:

- Gabriel's design looks good

- Vampire Castle and Undead levels look decent

- CD works as a nice frisbee

- still better than DMC2

THE BAD:

- on-crack camera

- what controls?

- B rate story on fast-forward

- WHERE DID THE FINAL BOSS COME FROM?

- poor implementation of game mechanics which are 6-7 years older

- you won't get your time/money back

I should've blocked you. :P

Just kidding.

Great write-up on the game, can't say I agree with it at all. xD

As I've already stated, I legit remember having a blast with Lords of Shadow, and I'm not talking from nostalgia or anything like that. Sure, it had some rough spots here and there, but all in all, it was an epic monster-slaying adventure for me. I remember it more fondly than other hack n' slash games from the era.

I really wish I could try out Dante's Inferno one of these days since that one has always been on my radar for a plethora of reasons. And if you say it's better than Lords of Shadow, welp, all the more reason to check it out.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2021 at 5:45 AM, Copanele said:

So yeah, to hell with Garfield Kart. A game that got me so angry I actually slammed my controller to the floor, which is a thing that I never do since these darn plastic things are expensive. Not even Catherine got me this salty xD and that's saying a lot. 

So honestly, unless you are fooled by someone to give it a go or want to desperately prove me wrong, that the game is perfectly balanced and I am a fool who can't drift, avoid this game like the plague. Play something else. Crash Team Racing is miles better and I only played it for like 5 minutes at someone's home. 

You don't need this kind of stress in your life!

game.

Wow did those videos make that look annoying. Did you try sitting in 2nd place until near the end and hitting them with an item? I use to do that a bunch in Mario Kart, mostly because blue shells would screw up your day anyways.

1 minute ago, Grotz99 said:

Wow did those videos make that look annoying. Did you try sitting in 2nd place until near the end and hitting them with an item? I use to do that a bunch in Mario Kart, mostly because blue shells would screw up your day anyways.

Tried it, that's a very poor strategy in this game. First of all being 2nd place doesn't prevent the 3rd place from blasting your ass with all he has xD i failed to mention that the AI will always prioritise you over the leader, except when the UFO power up is used. 

Second, you can block incoming power ups with a spring(if you manage to release it right before the moment if impact) . You bet the AI always has a spare spring that he perfectly uses. 

Sooo yeah... Gotta do it the old fashioned way xD

50 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Personal impression: 9.7/10

Yay ?

What a game - glad you enjoyed it as much as I did - and it feels like everyone else did too!

I can only imagine what a breath of fresh air this was after your time with LoS, and Garfield’s Monday Lasagne Run  or whatever that was called!

Plus - just to add to the good feelings…

53 minutes ago, Copanele said:

THE BAD:

- uh...makes you want to play the second game ? There's no real bad thing about this game.

… the sequel is just as great! ?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I can only imagine what a breath of fresh air this was after your time with LoS, and Garfield’s Monday Lasagne Run  or whatever that was called!

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I was "man, if Guacamelee gives me the time that those 2 games did previously I WILL rant. THANKFULLY it wasn't the case whew.

Glad to hear that the sequel is just as great. Can't wait to powerbomb Esqueletos again xD

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

Congrats! This game was recommended to me too but I was turned off by the platforming. If you're saying it was good, maybe I'll be ok. xD 

You will be more than fine trust me xD sometimes it's worth taking the plunge. 

6 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Maybe you want to include Strider in your gaming backlog. It's a hacky-n-slashy metroidvania mixed with some platforming, but the platforming in this game is like taking candy from a baby. xD

Uuuuuu it's the Strider Hiryu game! Ok added, thanks for recommending this one, I always overlooked it. 

At some point I shall start Hollow Knight too, since these Metroidvanias start to become really charming. Honestly how did I even sleep on this genre by now? 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Copanele said:

:platinum:159 - Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition

+1f4af.png% completed

header.jpg?t=1632492640

**Sighs***

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine..........

...... I guess this can be another one that goes onto my everlasting backlog/wishlist. :lol:

Bravo Good Sir!

What a cracking review man! You made that sound like such a fun time - I feel like I've gotta get me some of that - I think Doc recommended this to me a few months back when were chatting about Metroidvanias.

Anyway the insane amount of fun you seemed to have with this definitely made me take notice - oh and the fact you said the platforming was a positive.

I don't hate platformers at all myself - but I'd hardly say I'm particularly good at them either, so it sounds like I wouldn't end up pulling my hair out so much my floor looks like a barber shop!

Also....

9 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Maybe you want to include Strider in your gaming backlog. It's a hacky-n-slashy metroidvania mixed with some platforming, but the platforming in this game is like taking candy from a baby.

+1 for this!

Zizi speaks the truth! 

That's a great game - I think it was either my first or second PS4 platinum as well (not that that part is relevant ?)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't hate platformers at all myself - but I'd hardly say I'm particularly good at them either, so it sounds like I wouldn't end up pulling my hair out so much my floor looks like a barber shop!

Mostly this is why I recommend this game. If I could do it, it's no reason why other people can't xD That's what I appreciated so much, this game doesn't insult your intelligence with braindead platforming *cough*uncharted 1 *cough* but it doesn't punish you for starting the game either or making you regret your life choices.

And there's a learning curve in the abilities that you learn, like holy damn I've never seen anything like this before when running and hopping.

I also could have sworn that "Strider" is at a discount. Huh, next time then. But I will definitely grab it!

• Like 2

Yo @Copanele - I haven’t quite made up my mind on it yet, so this isn’t exactly an ‘endorsement’ as such, but I started a game yesterday that - at least on paper - feels like one you might want to at least have a wee look at - Gods Will Fall.

It’s a sort of rogue-like dungeon crawler, but with a little ‘Soulsian’ flavouring around the edges, and a sort of Ryme-goes-Pagan aesthetic.

Not finished a run yet, and it has a few negatives (slightly imprecise fighting at times, and a lack of enemy ‘lock-on’,) but has some pretty interesting ideas -

throwable stolen weapons, a party of characters with different abilities, corpse runs for ‘lost’ party members - and a really interesting take on bosses, where their health bar is visible right from the beginning of an area, and you can reduce it somewhat before even facing them by killing more of the regular enemies (their followers).

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yo @Copanele - I haven’t quite made up my mind on it yet, so this isn’t exactly an ‘endorsement’ as such, but I started a game yesterday that - at least on paper - feels like one you might want to at least have a wee look at - Gods Will Fall.

It’s a sort of rogue-like dungeon crawler, but with a little ‘Soulsian’ flavouring around the edges, and a sort of Ryme-goes-Pagan aesthetic.

Not finished a run yet, and it has a few negatives (slightly imprecise fighting at times, and a lack of enemy ‘lock-on’,) but has some pretty interesting ideas -

throwable stolen weapons, a party of characters with different abilities, corpse runs for ‘lost’ party members - and a really interesting take on bosses, where their health bar is visible right from the beginning of an area, and you can reduce it somewhat before even facing them by killing more of the regular enemies (their followers).

Thank you very much for the recommendation! I had a look at it and honestly I really dig the aesthetic of this game (strangely it reminds me of Jotun). Given it's heavily discounted also, I purchased it.

Will give it a go somewhere later on :D

That boss mechanic where you reduce their lifebar before the fight is also very neat from what I saw. Huh, this is quite the interesting game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Thank you very much for the recommendation! I had a look at it and honestly I really dig the aesthetic of this game (strangely it reminds me of Jotun). Given it's heavily discounted also, I purchased it.

Will give it a go somewhere later on :D

That boss mechanic where you reduce their lifebar before the fight is also very neat from what I saw. Huh, this is quite the interesting game!

It's pretty good so far - yeah, that mechanic is neat - and actually deeper than I initially thought - it seems some levels also have non-enemy ways to reduce their health too - breaking monuments or pyres and the likes (though I've only found one so far!)

There also seems to be a lot of milage in the random skill assignments of the group, and their 'personalities' - different ones have different relationships and fears and stuff, so will get buffs depending on who else has been lost, or different Gods they fear more and such - it's making different runs feel quite unique, even though only the enemy placements change in each one (the actual level layouts are static, I think)

The one thing it really could do with though, is a damned enemy lock-on!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Copanele said:

:platinum:159 - Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition

+1f4af.png% completed

header.jpg?t=1632492640

Difficulty: 3.5/10

Personal impression: 9.7/10

I have to admit, it's rare that I enjoy a game heavily recommended by others. This is basically because my moody game tendencies rarely help me go "hey, you guys liked this, I will definitely liked it too". Luckily, this wasn't the case with Guacamelee, one of the games that was heavily "advertised" as a hidden gem on this checklist of mine xD  After coming around and playing it ... I have to admit, you guys were totally right. This game rocks!

Well... this is probably the first game I've recommended here, sooo... maybe you have been listening to the wrong people thus far? :P 

In all seriousness though, Guacamelee is an easy recommendation. Especially for you. Sure, we brought it up because of the platforming, but I was very certain that it would be just right up your alley in terms of humor as well. It seems that was indeed the case! :D  

Now the real meat of the game is the gameplay. The game is a hybrid between a beat-em up and a platformer. The beat-em up part is rather straightforward, but still satisfying - you punch enemies until they have a triangle above their head which is the indication that they can be grabbed, or in the words of almost-jedi master Anakin Skywalker "This is where the fun begins". You can grab the enemies and either throw them away for a large distance, kick them into the other enemies or my favorite, suplex slam them. Suplexing the enemies generates a shockwave and it's by far the most fun move in the game for me. I legit lost encounters because I wanted to stun the enemies just to boom shakalaka them and stun the surrounding enemies just to generate more shakalaka.  Together with the new moves that you can learn from Uay Chivo (uppercuts, dashes, headbutts) you can legit string combos like in those sophisticated fighting games :D

That is definitely something that is extremely well done. You can get away by simply doing individual actions if you wish to, but the training sequences already show you that you can indeed become "good" at the fighting in this game! That makes it fun for both regular gamers, but also loads of fun for a non-gamer to pick up! 

However, to everyone's surprise including myself, platforming was the best part of the game.

It's not a secret that I hate platformers. I can't get along with them, jumping gives me anxiety and I think that Super Mario Bros is meant to torture children. Well I have to admit that this game has probably one of the best implemented platforming sections in a videogame. It forces you to utilize all the tools in your arsenal without going pixel perfect requirements like the insanity that is Super Meat Boy.

The platforming sections turn into straight out puzzles, especially since at some point you can switch between living and dead world (dimension swap), some objects existing only in one dimension. It was endless fun trying to figure out how to cross a seemingly impassable trap room, or how to get to that out-of-reach chest with my precious life upgrade.

I think I had the most fun when going after the Tule Tree Orb, considered to be the game's hardest section. Indeed, it was tough, but it also was so fun to slowly put the puzzle pieces together and do a flawless run.

You know, I kept reading your status updates and I think you really had a point about the ledge physics in the games you've played so far, versus this one. The ledges being weird, slippery... That definitely is not the case here, and that definitely is not the case in any precision-based platformer (you know.. the type of games I like the most ?). It also makes sense that you didn't have trouble with the platforming in games like S&S. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy Guacamelee 2 as well! The combat is probably better (since it introduces different powers while in Pollo-form as well, making the chicken actually viable in combat), and what's great is that Hard Mode actually does not only affect the enemies, but also makes the platforming more challenging. Everything is still very manageable though, especially since the game is so fun that failing a section a couple of times is no reason for frustration :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Well... this is probably the first game I've recommended here, sooo... maybe you have been listening to the wrong people thus far? :P

For sure. No worries, whoever recommended Shadow of the Colossus to me had some "beautiful" words offered in kind xD but yeah, Guacamelee was a top recommendation right there!

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

You know, I kept reading your status updates and I think you really had a point about the ledge physics in the games you've played so far, versus this one. The ledges being weird, slippery... That definitely is not the case here, and that definitely is not the case in any precision-based platformer (you know.. the type of games I like the most 1f602.png). It also makes sense that you didn't have trouble with the platforming in games like S&S. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy Guacamelee 2 as well! The combat is probably better (since it introduces different powers while in Pollo-form as well, making the chicken actually viable in combat), and what's great is that Hard Mode actually does not only affect the enemies, but also makes the platforming more challenging. Everything is still very manageable though, especially since the game is so fun that failing a section a couple of times is no reason for frustration :) 

Yep, I think that was my bad luck also, playing some janky platformers. Had I started with more functional, precise ones, maybe I would have been into platforming instead of fighting games ?

Now, Guacamelee 2 I will play for certain. What I wonder though...you loving the game BUT also knowing what I like more or less, would I have a good time with Hollow Knight? I keep stumbling into it and...if the power system progress is similar to Guacamelee (getting double jumps, dashes, wall runs, a friggin MAP), I was wondering if it's finally time to give it a go. Especially since the platforming looks just as tight.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Now, Guacamelee 2 I will play for certain. What I wonder though...you loving the game BUT also knowing what I like more or less, would I have a good time with Hollow Knight? I keep stumbling into it and...if the power system progress is similar to Guacamelee (getting double jumps, dashes, wall runs, a friggin MAP), I was wondering if it's finally time to give it a go. Especially since the platforming looks just as tight.

??? 

You know... I had written something along the lines of "Once you are done with Guacamelee 2, I feel confident in recommending Hollow Knight next" but decided to delete the sentence not because of the recommendation, but because I didn't want to put yet anohter game in your backlog ?

Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania I've played. Period. The platforming is very easy BUT tight, you are right there. But that's not what the game is about (except Path of Pain.. don't google that, let yourself be surprised), it's all about exploration and cool fights. 

Definitely give it a go :)  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png 

You know... I had written something along the lines of "Once you are done with Guacamelee 2, I feel confident in recommending Hollow Knight next" but decided to delete the sentence not because of the recommendation, but because I didn't want to put yet anohter game in your backlog 1f602.png

Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania I've played. Period. The platforming is very easy BUT tight, you are right there. But that's not what the game is about (except Path of Pain.. don't google that, let yourself be surprised), it's all about exploration and cool fights. 

Hah the synchronization ? definitely giving it a go then. But will see what I will tackle next after finishing playthrough 153416 in Uncharted 1. For sure Hollow Knight will move up my priority list.

What I will check however online is how to get a map xD the first time I played the game on a PC I was "WHERE DO I GO" x100.

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't know if that was me or not...

....BUT I STAND BY IT! 1f602.png

1f64c.pngSoTC rules! 1f64c.png

1f6aa.png1f3c3.png262e.png

Thank God it wasn't by you ? someone else from around these parts.

But just like another game (which I won't name and also refuse to try and also it has a 5 at the end, Arcesius knows of it :> ), SotC might rule, just not in this kingdom ? we value gameplay and responsive controls here STUPID HORSE TURN LEFT ALREADY!

...ahem xD  yeah. PTSD still there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

Thank God it wasn't by you 1f602.png someone else from around these parts.

But just like another game (which I won't name and also refuse to try and also it has a 5 at the end, Arcesius knows of it :> ), SotC might rule, just not in this kingdom 1f602.png we value gameplay and responsive controls here STUPID HORSE TURN LEFT ALREADY!

...ahem xD  yeah. PTSD still there.

haha, the controls cannot be defended really - just either accepted or not!

SoTC is like reading old, archaic poetry - there's majesty, grandeur and great beauty in there.... but it takes looking past some properly archaic stuff, and a lot of patience and forgiveness to get to it! ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

haha, the controls cannot be defended really - just either accepted or not!

SoTC is like reading old, archaic poetry - there's majesty, grandeur and great beauty in there.... but it takes looking past some properly archaic stuff, and a lot of patience and forgiveness to get to it! 1f602.png

Yep that's pretty much the description that I heard xD apparently I was all out of forgiveness because...well you know my opinion about the game.

Oh well, can't love them all ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you here, Arc!! Such an amazing game on pretty much every level. The platforming is not excruciatingly hard necessarily, so @Copanele it might be more up your alley because of that! 

Except for Path of Pain, but like @Arcesius said, just let that one be a surprise to you ? 

IIRC, I thought that area was optional tho? I could be mistaken, but at least I thought it wasn't necessarily required for the full 100%... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Dubz said:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you here, Arc!! Such an amazing game on pretty much every level. The platforming is not excruciatingly hard necessarily, so @Copanele it might be more up your alley because of that! 

Except for Path of Pain, but like @Arcesius said, just let that one be a surprise to you 1f643.png 

IIRC, I thought that area was optional tho? I could be mistaken, but at least I thought it wasn't necessarily required for the full 100%... 

All I am hoping is that Path of Pain is not as jank/awful/please shoot me like Stormy Ascent was in Crash Bandicoot. If I have to do that kind of stupid shit one more time I might lose it xD

• Like 1