Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

Nice review.

I still can’t believe the guy that eats tough fighting games and hack and slash games for breakfast has trouble jumping from one platform to another. ?

Do you want to play Unravel Two in coop? ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baker said:

Nice review.

I still can’t believe the guy that eats tough fighting games and hack and slash games for breakfast has trouble jumping from one platform to another. 1f602.png

Do you want to play Unravel Two in coop? 1f61b.png

Yeah I can't explain why I am performing so poorly at them, guess I didn't play enough Mario or Sonic when I was little or something xD I can handle other kinds of games rather decently but platformers... Nah. Something like Super Meat Boy would be the death of me. 

And no, in an outburst of uncharacteristic wisdom, I will kindly decline. Mainly because I loved the atmosphere of this game too much and I don't want the second game to devolve into "Jump already you stupid piece of string!". I simply refuse to hate this game ?

• Like 1

Nice work on Unravel - both the completion, and the review! ??

I really dug Unravel too - it's a hell of a visual style, and the mechanics are cool - that slightly 'floaty' platforming of the Little Big Planet variety can often be the most tricky, so I'd imagine for the platform-averse, you possibly picked quite a tricky one to wet your beak!

Personally, I can relate a bit - I'm good with 2D platforming (probably years of childhood Mario-practice comes into force!) so things like Unravel are no issue, but as soon as platformers go 3D, my skillset goes out the window, and I feel like you do with the whole genre - something about that Z-axis just turns me into a bumbling fool, and no amount of playing them ever seems to improve that!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zizimonster said:

I had no trouble doing the crow level because I used  this method. :lol:

Congratulations! 1f44f.png

Oh that one I figured out too xD I had issues with the first section, since the crows would swoop in randomly. Thought there's 2 crows then pause and at the end there's 3 crows and pause, but no they really come in randomly. Ended up speedrunning the section and pulling an Indiana Jones with my lasso from a crow's beak.

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice work on Unravel - both the completion, and the review! 1f44d.png1f600.png

I really dug Unravel too - it's a hell of a visual style, and the mechanics are cool - that slightly 'floaty' platforming of the Little Big Planet variety can often be the most tricky, so I'd imagine for at the platform-averse, you possibly picked quite a tricky one to wet your beak!

Personally, I can relate a bit - I'm good with 2D platforming (probably years of childhood Mario-practice comes into force!) so things like Unravel are no issue, but as soon as performers go 3D, my skillset goes out the window, and I feel like you do with the whole genre - something about that Z-axis just turns me into a bumbling fool, and no amount of playing them ever seems to improve that!

Yep my childhood was "Disregard fat italian plumber, acquire the glorious tank shooting game that is way more fun", aka this one

NES_01.gif

I was about to say that I am better with 3D platformers (because Prince of Persia) but...Crash Bandicoot is full on 3D. And then I realized, if 2 dimensions kick my ass, 3 dimensions is "Stop Stop he's already dead" meme.

Some games just aren't meant to be played I guess...

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, Copanele said:

Difficulty: 6/10 - because my skills at platformers is abysmal

Personal Impression: 9.4/10

Ayyy so happy to see you platinum it! ? It is rare for me to find someone who loves the game as much as I do. But I think the biggest thing your review taught me is how drastically different skill sets each of us have. I remember the no-dying runs being challenging, but Unravel was quite literally my 1st ever platinum and I didn't really play many platformers before it even in my childhood. I mostly just played sports games. I cannot fathom you not being skilled enough to beat the 2nd game. You have platinums in games I could NEVER dream to sniff. Injustice, Skullgirls, Street Fighter.... but fighting games are your bread and butter while the only one I have ever played in my life is The Last Blade 2 ?. 

If I may make a recommendation - I think you'd like Furi. It is a boss fight game and likely fits perfectly into your skillset of fast reaction times. If I could do it, I'm absolutely positive you can as well. Good luck playing Yakuza 3 too!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Ayyy so happy to see you platinum it! 1f604.png It is rare for me to find someone who loves the game as much as I do. But I think the biggest thing your review taught me is how drastically different skill sets each of us have. I remember the no-dying runs being challenging, but Unravel was quite literally my 1st ever platinum and I didn't really play many platformers before it even in my childhood. I mostly just played sports games. I cannot fathom you not being skilled enough to beat the 2nd game. You have platinums in games I could NEVER dream to sniff. Injustice, Skullgirls, Street Fighter.... but fighting games are your bread and butter while the only one I have ever played in my life is The Last Blade 2 1f602.png

If I may make a recommendation - I think you'd like Furi. It is a boss fight game and likely fits perfectly into your skillset of fast reaction times. If I could do it, I'm absolutely positive you can as well. Good luck playing Yakuza 3 too!

Yep I truly enjoyed this game, what an adorable little masterpiece! But my appreciation for it is the reason why it took so long to platinum it+why I avoid the second one. I don't want to hate the game because of my lack of skill, if it makes any sense. 

I always forcefully closed the game after 3-4 failed attempts so I won't get mad for no reason. Nothing is worse than bad mood influencing a final grade. Except maybe for Catherine?if I ever platinum that thing. 

And Furi is definitely on my list as well, already bought it ? that one I am somewhat confident that I can do+the soundtrack is soooo good, so I will definitely attempt it. But that will happen later on, need a chill period first. Or at least, to be done with Yakuza 3 (who has the most unforgiving minigames so far hot damn this game is old) 

Nice writeup, man! Has been a while since you wrote about a game I know anything about ? Funnily enough, I would not even think of Unravel when talking about platformers... although it definitely is one! 

In any case:

On 10/4/2021 at 0:21 AM, Copanele said:

First things first, this game is beautiful! Developers perfectly transposed the beauty of Sweden into their game. You will traverse a garden, beaches, forests and construction sites, all from the eyes of Yarny who is no bigger than a fruit. I won't deny that some of the deaths in the game happened because I was just admiring the background and forgetting to actually grapple around. This is paired by a beautiful soundtrack which sets the mood of the level. In the first levels where everything is colorful and sunny, the music is also joyful, but it gets a more somber tone once you progress to the more serious parts of the game.

Yes! This right here... Man, I played the first game while I was still living in Finland, the second one after... And honestly the way they prortray the scandinavian nature is just gorgeous and, most importantly, faithful. It was definitely one the best aspect of the game, and playing from the perspective of tiny yarny made it even more impacful :) 

Playing the second one back in Switzerland hit me right in the nostalgia-gut... Beautiful, quality games. 

However there's one thing I would like to mention - I won't play Unravel 2. I really cannot handle platformers and because of that I had to forcefully take periodic breaks from Unravel 1, else I would have hated the game. I simply can't jump from one platform to the other, which is very weird given I can play games that require reflexes with no problem.

It still baffles me that you can handle frame-perfect links but you cannot time one single press of :cross: to jump over a gap ?

But yeah, I couldn't recommend the sequel to you with a good concience, but I think in your case the biggest "problem" would probably be completing all 20 bonus levels in under 45 minutes. It's not particularly difficult, but that challenge doesn't allow for mistakes and is a rather long run, so it could lead to frustration for sure if you need too many attempts.

But I wouldn't get discouraged by videos. Sure, I am somewhat decent at platformers (and more importantly, I enjoy playing them), but except Hideaway, which took me 4 attempts, I got all time-attacks on my second try. Despite the rarity, Unravel 2 is no more than a 4-5/10 in my opinion. 

Then again, you rated Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe a 5.5/10 and I could probably never finish Survival ? Genre-proficiency definitely plays a big role here, so take my opinion with a KG of salt. 

Also: +1 to Furi, soon please!!! :D 

On 10/4/2021 at 0:29 AM, Baker said:

Do you want to play Unravel Two in coop? 1f61b.png

Just adding here that, unfortunately, Unravel 2 only has couch-coop ?

But I played through the story with my girlfriend and then did all time-attacks solo. It's perfectly doable :)  

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

@Copanele

So, I was thinking about your platformer aversion, and wondering - have you ever looked into a game called Dandara?

It's a 'tough but fair' metroidvania - one I absolutely fell in love with after buying it on a whim...

...it's one that kept coming to mind, simply because I genuinely cannot decide if it is a platformer or not! It has a very odd traversal mechanic, but I'd be really interested in your take if it appealed at all!

giphy-3.gif

Just a thought!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

It still baffles me that you can handle frame-perfect links but you cannot time one single press of :cross: to jump over a gap 1f602.png

But yeah, I couldn't recommend the sequel to you with a good concience, but I think in your case the biggest "problem" would probably be completing all 20 bonus levels in under 45 minutes. It's not particularly difficult, but that challenge doesn't allow for mistakes and is a rather long run, so it could lead to frustration for sure if you need too many attempts.

But I wouldn't get discouraged by videos. Sure, I am somewhat decent at platformers (and more importantly, I enjoy playing them), but except Hideaway, which took me 4 attempts, I got all time-attacks on my second try. Despite the rarity, Unravel 2 is no more than a 4-5/10 in my opinion. 

Then again, you rated Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe a 5.5/10 and I could probably never finish Survival 1f602.png Genre-proficiency definitely plays a big role here, so take my opinion with a KG of salt.

So, since obviously there's fun platformers for me there as well, I decided to practice abit with easier stuff before tackling the more tricky ones. And by tricky I mean stuff like Unravel 2, you will never see me in something like SMB or Thumper or...what was that abysmal PS3 game where you hopped like a madman on clouds while having a seizure xDBesides, I want to give Castlevania and Bloodstain a go too at some point.

But yeah, given how we personally rate the games from our area of expertise...I doubt Unravel 2 will be a 4-5/10 for me ? also 45 minutes speedrun reminds me of Braid speedrun:

• Run through world 2-3-4 as fast as possible (World 1 is the last here)
  • Reach World 5 where you have to set up a level in a certain way else you lose precious time
  • Mistime a jump on a Goomba the 7th time in a row even though I PRACTICED THAT SHIT
  • get angry, lose focus, restart the game

Visual representation of what I was supposed to do (not my video):

o4V2YNK.jpg

So if the same principle applies in Unravel 2, I am in for a world of hurt xD Unless I practice abit with games that I will enjoy.

30 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Say no more. I really wanted to start this game one day, guess I got more motivation now!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@Copanele

So, I was thinking about your platformer aversion, and wondering - have you ever looked into a game called Dandara?

It's a 'tough but fair' metroidvania - one I absolutely fell in love with after buying it on a whim...

...it's one that kept coming to mind, simply because I genuinely cannot decide if it is a platformer or not! It has a very odd traversal mechanic, but I'd be really interested in your take if it appealed at all!

giphy-3.gif

Just a thought!

I have to say, I love the idea behind it! it's less of a platformer and more of a puzzle no? Since you technically bounce with the "gun" if I understood correctly.

The only minor issue would be the speedrun trophy because of course it has to be one, but yes this one truly looks interesting! Good recommendation :)

Ah speaking of, here's a funny one for both you and @Arcesius : I had 0 issues with platforming in Salt & Sanctuary, and that game can get brutal at times (especially when trying to reach the Gods of Fire & Sky covenant where you had to jump on the invisible platforms). So apparently my brain bypasses the "platforming" dread when a Soulslike is involved xD

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I have to say, I love the idea behind it! it's less of a platformer and more of a puzzle no? Since you technically bounce with the "gun" if I understood correctly.

The only minor issue would be the speedrun trophy because of course it has to be one, but yes this one truly looks interesting! Good recommendation :)

Sort of yeah - it occurred to me, because it has a lot of the conceptual aspects of a platformer, but leaves out the one factor that can be an issue - timing. Because all the movement is "snap to" (all the surfaces in the game that are white, are "sticky" so you can't fall or fail to hit a platform (the worst you can do is jump to the wrong platform), it means the game gets to have it's cake, and eat it too - it gets to have lots of the puzzle elements of figuring out platforming traversal, but none of the frustration element of "damn, I know where to go, but I keep missing the ledge!"

What that gif doesn't show, is that the world has no Up down left right direction - the word swivels on any axis, depending on the dominant direction of the passage, which makes for a hell of a metroidvania, as the world has no real compass, and up can be down, or left can by right depending on the direction you approach from!

Ah speaking of, here's a funny one for both you and @Arcesius : I had 0 issues with platforming in Salt & Sanctuary, and that game can get brutal at times (especially when trying to reach the Gods of Fire & Sky covenant where you had to jump on the invisible platforms). So apparently my brain bypasses the "platforming" dread when a Soulslike is involved xD

You know - I never think of that as a platformer, but you're right - of course it is! I think I tend to see "platformer" as so much a base genre, that when there is a more dominant genre laid on top - Soulslike in the case of S&S, or, say, rogue-like in the case of Rogue Legacy or Dead Cells, I kind of ignore the platforming angle - but all of those are 100% platformers too!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, realm722 said:

If I may make a recommendation - I think you'd like Furi. It is a boss fight game and likely fits perfectly into your skillset of fast reaction times. If I could do it, I'm absolutely positive you can as well.

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

@Copanele Along with these 2 gentlemen, I too would like to suggest Furi. ? Similar to what realm722 said; if I can finish it, I'm very confident you can too. I'm not nearly as good as gaming as some of the others on this site, so if a monkey like me can somehow manage it, then you've got this! ?
P.S. The game's got kickass music.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Copanele said:

So, since obviously there's fun platformers for me there as well, I decided to practice abit with easier stuff before tackling the more tricky ones. And by tricky I mean stuff like Unravel 2, you will never see me in something like SMB or Thumper or...what was that abysmal PS3 game where you hopped like a madman on clouds while having a seizure 

Thumper? That's a rhythm game ? Also not sure which PS3 game you mean... Dustforce

28 minutes ago, Copanele said:

20 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - I never think of that as a platformer, but you're right - of course it is! I think I tend to see "platformer" as so much a base genre, that when there is a more dominant genre laid on top - Soulslike in the same of S&S, or, say, rogue-like in the case of Rogue Legacy or Dead Cells, I kind of ignore the platforming angle - but all of those are 100% platformers too!

Yeah same here... Same reason I didn't think of Unravel as a platformer, necessarily (more a puzzle game). I tend to think of pure platformers when talking about the genre... SMB, obviously, N++ and the like. I would never call Dead Cells a platformer, but of course it is.

So, if you actually didn't have issues with S&S, and even enjoyed the game (I know you did)... And I know you are probably not looking for a recommendation right now. But there is a game (two games) that actually are relatively easy for someone with decent platforming skills, but that I can imagine would be just the right amount of challenging for someone like yourself.. without becoming frustrating and offering diversity in its gameplay. 

The platforming sections also become gradually more difficult, but they never go over the top, and I feel like the "difficulty curve" is pretty nice and balanced. 

Of course I'm talking about these two games: 

L39e2fc.png L6add17.png

They are a TON of fun, both to play, but also the story / jokes / memes. 

Highly recommend! They would certainly make for good "training" for the genre :) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

L39e2fc.png L6add17.png

Highly recommend! They would certainly make for good "training" for the genre :) 

I could not agree more.

I could try, but I would be unsuccessful.

?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Ah, heard of the Guacamelee collection, really have to give that a go xD and I see more people want me to play Furi! Well...up in the priority list it goes!

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Thumper? That's a rhythm game ? Also not sure which PS3 game you mean... Dustforce?

After proper documentation, I meant Splasher (it ends in er...gg English) and Cloudberry Kingdom. Nightmares of the highest order xD

• Like 3

I'm a bit behind in your progress @Copanele, been doing other stuff lately and haven't checked up on what other people are doing in the Trophy Checklists thread. Not that it really matters, because we all volunteer to post on these forums anyway.

Great job on Unravel. Definitely a game more people need to play, but I definitely don't recommend Unravel 2. That game has some pretty difficult speedruns, I hear it's possible solo but people have told me it's better than a co-op partner. Which automatically means I will probably never play it, I usually avoid games that have me relying on an online partner.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:48 AM, Copanele said:

Ah, heard of the Guacamelee collection, really have to give that a go xD and I see more people want me to play Furi! Well...up in the priority list it goes!

After proper documentation, I meant Splasher (it ends in er...gg English) and Cloudberry Kingdom. Nightmares of the highest order xD

Guacamelee is definitely a lot of fun, but I will warn you there are some rather difficult platforming sections. Getting the Tule Tree orb in Guacamelee, finishing the last Pollo dungeon in Guacamelee 2. I'll just let you experience these for yourself, I guarantee you will struggle on them.

After looking at Splasher and Cloudberry Kingdom, I don't know if I will even bother with them at this point. I'm getting too old for that shit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm a bit behind in your progress @Copanele, been doing other stuff lately and haven't checked up on what other people are doing in the Trophy Checklists thread. Not that it really matters, because we all volunteer to post on these forums anyway.

Great job on Unravel. Definitely a game more people need to play, but I definitely don't recommend Unravel 2. That game has some pretty difficult speedruns, I hear it's possible solo but people have told me it's better than a co-op partner. Which automatically means I will probably never play it, I usually avoid games that have me relying on an online partner.

Guacamelee is definitely a lot of fun, but I will warn you there are some rather difficult platforming sections. Getting the Tule Tree orb in Guacamelee, finishing the last Pollo dungeon in Guacamelee 2. I'll just let you experience these for yourself, I guarantee you will struggle on them.

After looking at Splasher and Cloudberry Kingdom, I don't know if I will even bother with them at this point. I'm getting too old for that shit.

Many thanks! Yeah, Unravel 2 ... I might play it if I get some extra experience in platforming xD as things stand out, I have 0 chances to do it.

Guacamelee is also further down the list, will see once I reach them. Have a ton of stuff to play before that.

And yeah...even if you are young, I feel you will get old after playing Cloudberry Kingdom. Probably that's how people look at me when I say I love those absurd combos in fighting games, because whenever I see someone going "damn Cloudberry kingdom is such a FUN experience"...sir do you need some help? ?

But anyway I've kinda decided! Among the next games that I will start, Furi will be a main pick. Will see if I can actually complete it but everyone loves that game and I liked what I saw also.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Copanele said:

But anyway I've kinda decided! Among the next games that I will start, Furi will be a main pick. Will see if I can actually complete it but everyone loves that game and I liked what I saw also.

You got this! You'll be able to complete it, it's tricky but it's a fair game. I love Furi a ton, so if you need any tips or if you're having trouble with any of the bosses, feel free to @ me in this thread and I'll be happy to help out! ?

• Like 1

I have to agree with @Arcesius regarding Guacamelee! Those games were fantastic and so much fun, even better with a co-op partner. It was one of the few games I could get Mrs. Dubz hooked on and play consistently with me ? The artistic style is fantastic, the combat gameplay is fun, and the jokes are absolutely hilarious! Hafta agree with AJ tho, those later Pollo dungeons can get a lil rough for the sequel. Nothing you couldn't handle tho, considering some of the other stuff you have already completed!

Regardless, I will be interested to hear your take on Furi then. I've had my eye on that game recently and may decide to take the plunge, if I can get Super Meat Boy Forever off my plate eventually!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

I have to agree with @Arcesius regarding Guacamelee! Those games were fantastic and so much fun, even better with a co-op partner. It was one of the few games I could get Mrs. Dubz hooked on and play consistently with me 1f601.png The artistic style is fantastic, the combat gameplay is fun, and the jokes are absolutely hilarious! Hafta agree with AJ tho, those later Pollo dungeons can get a lil rough for the sequel. Nothing you couldn't handle tho, considering some of the other stuff you have already completed!

Regardless, I will be interested to hear your take on Furi then. I've had my eye on that game recently and may decide to take the plunge, if I can get Super Meat Boy Forever off my plate eventually!

Damn, you guys really rope me in some dangerous game genres here xD regardless, Guacamelee is on the wish list. I wonder if it's already discounted...

And I agree, games look super fun to play.

• Like 3

On 05/10/2021 at 9:42 AM, Arcesius said:

Of course I'm talking about these two games: 

L39e2fc.png L6add17.png

I highly recommend Guacamelee too! Great recommendation. It was so fun and satisfying going for the 100% on Guacamelee 1.

• Like 3