Does the physical version not have episode 5?

Alos88

I've heard from multiple sources that the disc version doesn't have the 5th episode. If true, does that mean I'd have to download it, buy it separately, or something else? Was looking to rent this thing eventually but I'm unsure if I'd be getting the whole game that way.

34 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

Oh FFS, so renting is a no go? Great. Guess I'll be grabbing this during a sale then

Well buying TellTale like games on disc was always a waste of money in my opinion. They are very expensive at least in Poland, and not worth the price. Best deal is to buy them on sale, that says something about the company and its games.

I think it’s worst then that. When you insert the disc, it creates an icon to download both LiS2 and Captain “demo”. Then it creates a new icon to play those games, a total of 3 icons (since you need the disc in the console to play it).

This format only happened to me twice: one with The Inner World Collection and Dangerous Driving. I simply hate these versions, rather have the digital copy instead -_-

what I can’t confirm is if you need to download the game when you click on the “download” icon with the disc in it. If that’s true, we’re basically buying a BR disc with a link to download the games -_- 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fozzyabear said:

They still rent games? Interesting lol

Yes actually my local Library system has as awesome loan system from all the Libraries in my area so i can get almost any ps4 game on disc, and even a lot of PS3 on disc. That's how i get almost all my games on my profile that have a disc version. And there are still chains in the US a least like Family Video and few but still some mom and pop that still rent games brand new games too even.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

I think it’s worst then that. When you insert the disc, it creates an icon to download both LiS2 and Captain “demo”. Then it creates a new icon to play those games, a total of 3 icons (since you need the disc in the console to play it).

This format only happened to me twice: one with The Inner World Collection and Dangerous Driving. I simply hate these versions, rather have the digital copy instead -_-

what I can’t confirm is if you need to download the game when you click on the “download” icon with the disc in it. If that’s true, we’re basically buying a BR disc with a link to download the games -_- 

I just came across something similar today with The Banner Saga Trilogy. The game disc icon contains three "download" icons which just install the games from the disc (adding three more icons) and triggers the downloads for the updates. While annoying, this is so much better than if part of the game is locked behind a single use code, as it seems to be for LiS2.

I think it's totally disgusting that a disc version of an offline game only has 90% of the content on it. One day that disc version of the game is going to be broken forever when all the servers hosting the final episode have gone.

This is like the opposite of disc locked content that you already paid for but far worse. This time you already paid for it but instead of it being hidden on the disc, they hit it away somewhere onto one of their servers.

Absolutely unforgivable and a disgrace to gaming.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I think it's totally disgusting that a disc version of an offline game only has 90% of the content on it. One day that disc version of the game is going to be broken forever when all the servers hosting the final episode have gone.

This is like the opposite of disc locked content that you already paid for but far worse. This time you already paid for it but instead of it being hidden on the disc, they hit it away somewhere onto one of their servers.

Absolutely unforgivable and a disgrace to gaming.

It's not even that- the game comes with a voucher, and once that's used the disc is worthless. You may as well buy it digitally because it's functionally a glorified digital game. The disc is entirely just for show.

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

Renting should work and give you access to download the last episode as long as you have the disc in.  It knows you have a license.  That is how Telltale games worked.

Not in this case. It gives you a voucher code to use on your PSN account and download the final episode, unlike Telltale games. Looks like you have to buy the final episode if you borrow the game or rent it.

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, djb5f said:

Renting should work and give you access to download the last episode as long as you have the disc in.  It knows you have a license.  That is how Telltale games worked.

In Life is strange 2 it won’t work. Episode 5 has a single use code to redeem inside the case, so once used you’ll have to purchase the episode.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, episode 5 is just a code in the case. It really sucks, especially since all episodes are on the disc for the first Life is Strange (as far as I remember), not sure about Before the Storm as I got that digitally. When I bought the game it did say on the site I bought it from that episode 5 was a digital download, but it didn't state anywhere that it was provided via a code, so I do feel a little ripped off.

With Telltale discs, they tend to not have all episodes on the disc, but at least the disc acts as a season pass for the episode(s) you need to download. A code is just screwing people over as far as sharing, renting or buying the game pre-owned goes. It's things like this that make me wonder why I still value physical over digital so much, when so many physical games don't even have anything on the disc any more, or are broken without patches that need to be downloaded. And of course, the serves for these things will inevitably be shut down one day.

Only thing that gives me some peace of mind with this whole situation is that I doubt I'll ever play LiS 2 again anyway. It was honestly really boring and disappointing compared to the first season, a few of the episodes felt like they didn't even need to exist as there was barely any plot progression in them, and the plot to begin with is hardly even there and honestly felt like it was made up as they went along. I wasn't big on Before the Storm either, but it was still more interesting than 2. If anyone enjoyed the first LiS and is unsure on this one, I'd honestly recommend just waiting on a very deep sale for it, or just skip it entirely. It lacks any of the mystery or character development of the first game, and I personally found most of the characters to be insanely boring and/or unlikable in general. I'm sure some people will still enjoy it, but it certainly wasn't for me.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 2:56 PM, djb5f said:

thats how it should work.. but does not.. Ep 5 only available with the voucher code.. once its used once.. its gone.  Does not matter if you have the disk in drive it will not let you get Ep5

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 0:43 AM, TurtlePM said:

Not in this case. It gives you a voucher code to use on your PSN account and download the final episode, unlike Telltale games. Looks like you have to buy the final episode if you borrow the game or rent it.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:47 AM, Djeheuty said:

In Life is strange 2 it won’t work. Episode 5 has a single use code to redeem inside the case, so once used you’ll have to purchase the episode.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:43 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Yeah, episode 5 is just a code in the case. It really sucks, especially since all episodes are on the disc for the first Life is Strange (as far as I remember), not sure about Before the Storm as I got that digitally. When I bought the game it did say on the site I bought it from that episode 5 was a digital download, but it didn't state anywhere that it was provided via a code, so I do feel a little ripped off.

With Telltale discs, they tend to not have all episodes on the disc, but at least the disc acts as a season pass for the episode(s) you need to download. A code is just screwing people over as far as sharing, renting or buying the game pre-owned goes. It's things like this that make me wonder why I still value physical over digital so much, when so many physical games don't even have anything on the disc any more, or are broken without patches that need to be downloaded. And of course, the serves for these things will inevitably be shut down one day.

Only thing that gives me some peace of mind with this whole situation is that I doubt I'll ever play LiS 2 again anyway. It was honestly really boring and disappointing compared to the first season, a few of the episodes felt like they didn't even need to exist as there was barely any plot progression in them, and the plot to begin with is hardly even there and honestly felt like it was made up as they went along. I wasn't big on Before the Storm either, but it was still more interesting than 2. If anyone enjoyed the first LiS and is unsure on this one, I'd honestly recommend just waiting on a very deep sale for it, or just skip it entirely. It lacks any of the mystery or character development of the first game, and I personally found most of the characters to be insanely boring and/or unlikable in general. I'm sure some people will still enjoy it, but it certainly wasn't for me.

So I rented LiS2 disc and yes, realize it is only Episides 1-4.

So if I buy Episode 5 will I be able to play that without the disc?  Or for some reason, would it require the disc to be in?

On 31/5/2020 at 2:59 AM, djb5f said:

So I rented LiS2 disc and yes, realize it is only Episides 1-4.

So if I buy Episode 5 will I be able to play that without the disc?  Or for some reason, would it require the disc to be in?

Not completely sure, but I think they’re different things. If you buy Episode 5 digital, then you’d have to buy also Episode 1 digital, which is the base of the digital game, to make it work.

I rented the game from Gamefly a while ago and was surprised that I couldn't continue and needed to buy episode 5. The site where I rented it stated that it doesn't come with episode 5, but I still call BS. Why not put it on the disc instead of giving it via code? It was bad enough that people complain they couldn't buy each episode individually from PS store and they don't even put them on sale. 

Not that I was looking forward to finish this game, more like being finally done with it, cause the story was horrible. Really liked the first one, but this was a huge step down and now I have to either hope for sale or one day being included on PS plus, cause I refuse to give them any money for this tactic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2020 at 4:05 AM, VegaMan-X4 said:

Can somebody confirm if the Japanese version is the same way? It was released later (March 26, 2020) than the worldwide release so I'm wondering if they fixed this issue or not.

Unfortunately there is no issue to fix, according to them they "cannot fit" episode 5 on the disk. Yet they put Captain Spirit on there to waste space when it's freely available, and when they could have made the disk act as a seasons pass to give free access to download, hell they could have even put the game on 2 disks if they wanted to, it's been done before. The ONLY reason to put ep5 on a one time use code is to completely screw over Used sales copies and people who rent or share games. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Wow this sucks. I woudnt had rent this game if I knew ep5 were not on disc. Lol

Ep 5 is currently om sale atm for 4$ though but LiS2 is coming to ps plus right?? xD