Sony Won't Be Attending at E3 2020.

Rias Gremory

I wish they would stop all game shows, why pack all newish games into one part of the calendar when you could take your time and have releases and news all all round? Nintendo and now Sony are doing the right thing.

What they should do is have time release demos for download for only a week, on the stores so we can all download these demos and play them rather than having a few machines at some booth somewhere that only a hundred people or so ever get to play.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KAdamsy1 said:

E3 is a complete waste of time these days. 

It's as much of a waste as trailers, demos, and gaming news is. Nevermind the 100s of other tradeshows throughout the year.

I wish they would stop all game shows, why pack all newish games into one part of the calendar when you could take your time and have releases and news all all round? Nintendo and now Sony are doing the right thing.

Well that's how the year plays out. E3 sits in June and then suddenly the latter half of the gaming year release schedule begins to unveil.

Nintendo is still at E3. Don't confuse not having a live conference with also not being their with floorspace and game demos.

• Like 1

Jason Schreier tweeted "Sony's main reason for skipping E3 (last year) was disagreement/tension/conflict with the ESA". So there's also that side of things. 

Just now, enaysoft said:

why pack all newish games into one part of the calendar when you could take your time and have releases and news all all round?

Because E3 gives them many more ears.

Downloadable demos won't attract new players.

Edited by Alderriz

I don't like to see them cede a battleground on which they could easily win to the OBSOLETE Box of X. I can only hope them turning E3 into a carcinogenic cacophony of influencers and "major league gamers" will finally kill the thing once and for all. The magic died a long time ago, anyway...

• Like 1

Said it before, will say it again: E3 should go back to what it used to be. E3 served a very useful purpose as a demo for potential vendors of games, and a meet-and-greet for developers and producers/publishers. I know the world has changed since then, but fog effects, rock and roll lighting and clapping seals doesn't really fit into that world, either.

4 hours ago, theSpirae said:

I think I understand their decision and support it. E3 used to be good ages ago and it's been going downhill in the past few years. 

Not that it's Sony's responsibility to turn things around, but bolting on the show is only going to ensure that continues.

Ultimately it doesn't bother me much as I dont live in the same continent, so am unlikely to attend. I think it's a good thing for the industry that it had this big event which all the big guns showed up for and hit us with as many big releases as they could, so I'd like to see E3 return to prominence. But it has been in decline and isn't as important as it used to be. I'd like to see Sony return to it in the future though

E3, setup by the ESA (the people who created the ESRB and supported, then backtracked on SOPA and PIPA, but still support loot box mechanics), needs to be handed off to a more competent host, preferably one with more aspiration. 

I'd think it would be cool if E3 was tailored more to a futuristic concept show than a three day commercial machine. Pitch stuff 3, 5, 10 years into the future. The trade show concept for this audience and product has outlived it's original need and purpose.

Edited by DaivRules
Clarity added

35 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

E3, setup by the ESA (the people who created the ESRB and supported, then backtracked on SOPA and PIPA, but still support loot box mechanics), needs to be handed off to a more competent host, preferably one with more aspiration. 

I'd think it was cool if E3 was tailored more to a concept show than a three day commercial machine. The trade show concept for this audience and product has outlived it's original need and purpose.

Not sure what the ESRB has to do with it given at the time it was either self-regulation or government intervention. 

The audience. What audience would that be? The original audience of retailers and media or the secondary audience of consumers?

As an outsider, normal consumer and viewer of tradeshow I don't get what the ESA needs to do to change E3. The week long convention is only organized by them(they are mostly transparent to folks on our side) and the content is entirely up to the attendees. 

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Said it before, will say it again: E3 should go back to what it used to be. E3 served a very useful purpose as a demo for potential vendors of games, and a meet-and-greet for developers and producers/publishers. I know the world has changed since then, but fog effects, rock and roll lighting and clapping seals doesn't really fit into that world, either.

I don't see how any of that can't be used in the world of vendors and devs.

Odd limitations. 

As far as the changing world. How necessary are vendor only events with each console maker having their own closed digital storefronts?

It doesn't make sense from a consumer perspective to want less legitmate news and coverage of the thing you supposedly enjoy as a hobby

E3 hasn't been good in years.

Because so much of everything is on the internet, E3 has become more and more irrelevant.

The only thing that stems my interest is companies like Ubisoft, Bethesda and others showcasing their new games at E3 that will be on the PS4/PS5 come Fall/Winter quarter.

A bit sad that E3 used to mean a lot to these gaming companies. Now it's becoming more of a laughing stock because most footage is pretty much leaked in some fashion or another on the internet weeks ahead of time. It's going to have to evolve or just die out.