Platinum = rank B?!

XxSweetRevengexX

So, because of the DLC, the rank for those who have the platinum is a B. I thought that, for games with DLC, that if you had the Platinum it was considered an A, no matter how much of the DLC you have/havn't completed. Just curious. I know Borderlands 2 was rank B for a while but then it was switched so that Plat-holders had Rank A.

So, because of the DLC, the rank for those who have the platinum is a B. I thought that, for games with DLC, that if you had the Platinum it was considered an A, no matter how much of the DLC you have/havn't completed. Just curious. I know Borderlands 2 was rank B for a while but then it was switched so that Plat-holders had Rank A.

I believe it depends on how commonly earned the main game's trophies are.  I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that's how ranking is determined.

• Like 1

frabz-does-it-matter-b7b0ef.jpg

Imma be an @ss and say it mattered enough for you to put a meme saying 'does it matter?'

On topic, this does seem bizarre as platinum should be an A at least (S is for 100%)

It would probably better to raise this on the feedback page as Sly has more chance of noticing it, and explaining why it is so if it isn't a bug :)

• Like 2

In response to this thread, could someone tell me what S stands for? I understand the A-F ratings but S I have no idea. A Gold Star would have made more sense. 

Super? Sad? Sadistic? 

I had just assumed 'Superb' but, with that said, assumptions are what get people killed. So...

• Like 1

It depends on the Average rank. For example check Payday's Average completion is 7%. so, if you're anywhere in that range, you'll get a "C". meaning, if you get a 9-10% you'll get a "B" rank, and anything above 11% will be considered an "A" rank. Complete it with 100% and you've earned the "S (I'm guessing Superb)" rank.

Now, go to something like L.A Noire, a game with a lot of DLC's People Averaged 31%. I got a "B" rank, but I didn't do any of the DLC's, nor did I get a platinum, but I got a 43%. 

The reason behind this is that, you need to know the ranks, and what it corresponds to. "F" is Fail, and you can only achieve it at 0%. Once you have 1% you will be promoted to Rank "E" which is just getting started. Rank "D" is just below the Average completion rate, depending on the game! Rank "C" is Average, and it's linked with the Average completion, anywhere within that range will put you in Rank "C". Surpass that limit and you will Achieve Rank "B" which is above average. Above that is Rank "A".  Finally, the only way to get Rank "S" is to get 100% Completion rate. 

Conclusion, it all depends on the Average completion rate of the game you are looking at.

Which means in this case there are many people playing the DLC for Walking Dead.  

• Like 1

Doesn't really bother me all of the 9 platinums I have around 6 of them have the rank 'A' due to the DLC trophies, you could suggest to remove the DLC trophies from the percentage completion altering the overall completion/rank I guess but meh, and its only B since so many people bought it and the trophies are not exactly hard.

Which means in this case there are many people playing the DLC for Walking Dead.  

Well, been checking The walking dead, just to make sure, and there seems to be about 98,277+ Game owners. There are over 50,000 Platinum achievers. Which makes sense as the Platinum is just above 50%. Now, if you see the DLC trophies, most of them are over 90%, just one, or two below it. Note: The gold is above the 90% Meaning that most of them have achieved it, and the gold weighs more on the percentage.

So, you can say about 98,000+ Players have the DLC and you are sure that 94,000+ players have finished it. 

Math, now that answers the question of when I will use it in life. lol. Case Closed.

frabz-does-it-matter-b7b0ef.jpg

I'm asking myself this very question. I don't pay the ranks much attention, wasn't aware it was a big deal to some. :lol: Though you have to figure if you platinum the game and the trophies near double and ranks are simply determined by numbers, this is bound to happen.

• 2 months later...

Of course it matters, then why you care about completing a game 100%? Maybe so it looks good on your profile to have all completed but then again, this is shown like a B rank among all the others A. It looks like misplaced. I believe it was made on purpose so people buy the DLC which by the way, its comes free with the GOTY edition.

• 2 months later...

I believe it's based on what percentile you fall in, but I can't tell you what the actual percentile groupings per rank are and I don't think many people around here not named SlyRipper could.

Percentiles, not to be confused with your completion rate nor really even the average completion rate.

*edit* I always wondered about the S rank thing too tho. Apparently it doesn't stand for anything. src: http://www.giantbomb.com/s-rank/3015-2962/

Edited by lporiginalg

Well, been checking The walking dead, just to make sure, and there seems to be about 98,277+ Game owners.

So, you can say about 98,000+ Players have the DLC and you are sure that 94,000+ players have finished it. 

This is wrong because the DLC percentages are different because the number of "owners" is different because the site doesn't consider anyone who hasn't earned any of the DLC trophies to own the DLC.

I just checked and it's about 127 K game owners with about 27 K DLC owners.

Average completions of DLC is always skewed to be high because of the way it's being calculated and personally I'm not a fan but that's a dead topic...

• 4 months later...

99% of people who have this game are probably either on 84% or 100%. The ratio of people on 100% compared to 84% means 84 isnt good enough to get an A rank even though in terms of frequency, many people are stuck there.

Lets say 400 days was really hard and the vast majority of people were only getting 1 bronze trophy out of the whole set, then im sure 84% would be A rank.

Basically, the statistics dont care about the percentage the main game makes up if platinumed.

edit: ok and I just realised this is almost a year old and no-one probably cares anymore.

Edited by fps_d0minat0r

In most cases, I think the DLC has a little to do with it and depending on the number of owners, the impact could be negligable in certain instances.  With there being over 35,000 "DLC Owners" as of this post and that the gold trophy is almost 100% common (worth 11.57 points on the completion percentage, 5 bronze + the 1 gold), I  think there is enough of an impact to force the overall rank down to a "B".

I agree with those who have said this is a function of percetiles focused around the average completion percentage by all gamers with this game.  This theory is in line with multiple examples on my trophy list alone.  I have The Last Guy currently sitting at 32% but that is considered an "A" because the average completion for that game is 6%, putting me well above most people with the game.  Conversely, I'm at 12% in Borderlands 2 and I'm still ranked "E" becasue the average completion is 31%.  I know that basically the same number of users own The Last Guy that own all of the DLC packs for Borderlands 2 but you also have to keep in mind that 4 times the number of people have played the game.  It's all about relativities to be able to do an apples-to-apples comparision of games with significantly different amounts of players.  The more players in your sample size, the more accurate the rarities become.  Or you could just look at the trophy rarity on a PS4 and see the exact number of achievers/number of owners for the true rarity.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter and I probably spent too much time thinking about this lol.

That's my 2 cents even though I know this thread is old.  I've avoided these forums until i finished the game to prevent spoilers.

Edited by Matticus182

In response to this thread, could someone tell me what S stands for? I understand the A-F ratings but S I have no idea. A Gold Star would have made more sense. 

Super? Sad? Sadistic? 

I'm gonna say S stands for Supercaliflippingawesome.

Just kidding, I always just thought it stood for Super or Special... I kind of just accept it now :P