COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

4 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

I got a surprise in my bank account this morning, it was the federal relief money sent by direct deposit. I was expecting a paper check mailed to me several weeks from now. My pay is given to me by direct deposit through the military, but also my tax returns are set up to be done by direct deposit via Turbotax. I'd expect that if you've been doing your taxes electronically and have had a return direct deposited to you in the past, the IRS will use that method in order to get that money to you the easiest way possible.

They said they would base it on the bank account information you gave for 2018 or 2019 or if you get your Social Security benefits by direct deposit. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm watching for it. Figure one day I'll check my bank account and it'll be there.

And Florida has declared WWE essential business. Not sure if I should laugh or facepalm.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/wwe-to-resume-live-tv-tapings-after-being-deemed-essential-business-by-florida-governors-office/

Edited by MidnightDragon

4 hours ago, majob said:

I'm with you but I honestly feel this won't be over until June because things are still in a downward slope

I agree with you about it going past April (I am saying April because that's what the powers-to-be have in place).  I am convinced that the hysteria* won't go away until late August/early September.

*Hysteria = things such as, but not limited to, grocery hoarding, business reopening, schools reopening - you know... normalcy.

Hello guys, I speak from Brazil. We have recently become an international joke (we were, but now ...). The reason? There are people (not a few, there was a motorcade) calling for an end to the quarantine claiming that COVID-19 is a communist thing. The president of the republic himself (THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC) shares this ideal and criticizes isolation. I hope that one day we will be able to get out of isolation, because without a membership of at least 70% of the population, the contagion curve of the virus will take time to begin to descend. 

Sorry for the outburst, but the situation of the coronavirus in Brazil is very serious and they are not counting all the cases.
  • Like 1

Well good news from my province. Keep up the isolation people, :D it is helping.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/no-new-covid-19-cases-announced-in-manitoba-on-tuesday-but-risk-is-not-reduced-health-officials-1.4895309

Also I will be finally working from home starting Thursday. Will feel good to do some work as it will be kind of like normalcy again :)

Finally, blood donor clinics desperately need blood right now. So if you are physically able to please consider donating. This is the Canadian link as I don't know how other countries do it.

https://myaccount.blood.ca/en/donate/*?gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZH6ekQ0Lp4shI61Ow1hOn-h2mCYKUNeqTGrQzW2cSz6FkB0xFs_DYRoC8GYQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

Can someone please explain to me why a lot of places are discussing reopening things in May?

That is way too soon. That shouldn't happen until June at the minimum. In all honesty... that's probably too soon as well. Yet this seems to be happening anyway.

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. ?

We're all going to die. Yay. ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Can someone please explain to me why a lot of places are discussing reopening things in May?

That is way too soon. That shouldn't happen until June at the minimum. In all honesty... that's probably too soon as well. Yet this seems to be happening anyway.

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. 1f612.png

We're all going to die. Yay. 1f611.png

Unfortunately only a second spike in cases will wake them up to the situation.

1 hour ago, charxsetsuna said:

Unfortunately only a second spike in cases will wake them up to the situation.

I sure hope that's not what it takes. When the curve is flattened, it's still not a time to grow complacent. I think any reopenings should be held off until July. Even after this is pretty much reined in and we're all getting an annual jab in the arm for it, I'll still stay with most of the changes to my habits (like 20 seconds for washing hands, washing before eating, etc.).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/coronavirus-prone-positioning/index.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/coronavirus-you-should-sleep-face-21749997

Could lying face down could help C19 patients breathe better? Sure seems so. Dr. Mangala Narasimhan got a call from a colleague who was dealing with a severely ill C19 patient in Long Island Jewish Hospital's ICU. To her colleague, she said "Before I come over there, try turning the patient over onto his stomach and see if that helps". Well, did it ever. After being placed prone, the patient started improving in condition, with his oxygen saturation going from 85% to 98%. And there is a study that seems to fall in line with that... some researchers found that sleeping face down can help a C19 patient's breathing. Interesting stuff.

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. 1f612.png

We're all going to die. Yay. 1f611.png

Agreed, but it's the states' decision, no matter what the White House thinks and most are not jumping up and down.

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

k.

Well I'm not changing anything until I feel safe.

And that sure as hell won't be in May.

My routines haven't had to change too much and it likely will remain so. 

And a day after Trump claimed he had total authority to reopen the economy (the Constitution makes it clear the states do), he backed down. In the last 3 1/2 years, I've learned take nothing he says seriously. This has just reinforced it.

Edited by MidnightDragon

5 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I finally got my stimulus in my bank today.

I'll spend some and probably save the rest until this goes away and/or I feel safe enough to get another job (I have no idea when that will be honestly)

Same here. I did use some to pay my taxes this year, though. 

So The WHO are a disgrace allowing China to re-open there wet markets because there essiential.... Do they even want to stop this and other future virus's??

Whilst here in Australia the rate has slowed somewhat but leaders here don't want to be dumb and end lockdown too soon and have a 2nd wave hit.

and theres still the debacle of a thing called the ruby princess cruise ship......

Edited by Conker

3 hours ago, Conker said:

So The WHO are a disgrace allowing China to re-open there wet markets because there essiential.... Do they even want to stop this and other future virus's??

Is this sarcasm? Do you know the tracking methods China has on every individual coming and going every place right now?

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Is this sarcasm? Do you know the tracking methods China has on every individual coming and going every place right now?

Not sarcasm wet markets are a known place for diseases to come from and having them re-open isn't a good thing, i wouldn't be only person who thinks like this

38 minutes ago, Conker said:

Not sarcasm wet markets are a known place for diseases to come from and having them re-open isn't a good thing

https://qz.com/1838955/asias-wet-markets-are-not-the-same-as-wildlife-markets/

For starters, wet markets, as they are widely known across Asia—in particular Hong Kong and Singapore—do not sell wildlife. Instead, they are often more akin to large, open-air produce markets, where vegetables and fruits are piled high on crates for shoppers to choose from, cuts of pork and beef hang from hooks, and fish and other seafood swim and float in small tanks or are laid out on beds of ice. Some markets also have live poultry in cages, and butchers only kill and de-feather a bird when a shopper decides to buy one.

The markets are “wet” because they don’t primarily sell “dry” goods like packaged noodles, though some wet markets also have stalls selling dry grains and legumes. They’re also “wet” because of the melting ice (pdf) used to keep seafood fresh, and because shop owners routinely hose down their stalls to keep them clean. Technically speaking, a wildlife market could be considered “wet” in that the live animals aren’t “dry,” but the overwhelming majority of wet markets certainly do not sell wildlife.

Wet markets are often managed and regulated by the local government. In Hong Kong, for example, the food and environmental hygiene department runs 74  public wet markets (pdf), some of which are open-air while others are housed in buildings. 

I'll end with this to help more people relate:

In fact, the definition could very well fit what some people may call a “farmers’ market.”

• Like 1

Some people have questioned why I, a Canadian, should have an opinion on Trump...well it is because he is the leader of the country we share our border with and a lot of his decisions affect our lives.

So Trump wants to possibly open up the Canada/US border again because "“We have a lot of nations that are heavily infected — some are getting better, (but) some are still on the way up, unfortunately. We’re keeping very strong borders with those nations,” “But with Canada, we are talking about different things.”

Yeah, maybe we want to keep strong borders with nations that are heavily infected...like the US. Can you imagine what would happen to our country if the borders opened now and a bunch of stupid people went across (and I hear it from Canadians that they think it is stupid their vacations were cancelled). I still cannot believe that Trump doesn't think there is a problem in his country.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6824463/canada-us-border-restrictions-trump/

EDIT-Just noticed that this is actually trending on twitter right now...sounds like there are a lot of angry Canadians right now.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Canada-U&src=trend_click

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

*sighs*

They gave BS wording for it but Ohio is going forward with reopening the state on May 1st.

The BS wording they gave was they are going to 'begin to reopen' but they are pretty much reopening.

Yep. This is the best idea ever and it totally isn't going to end horribly or anything. ?

I'm not doing a damn thing different.

42 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

*sighs*

They gave BS wording for it but Ohio is going forward with reopening the state on May 1st.

The BS wording they gave was they are going to 'begin to reopen' but they are pretty much reopening.

Yep. This is the best idea ever and it totally isn't going to end horribly or anything. 1f616.png

I'm not doing a damn thing different.

That sucks :(

As for me, I got to work for 2 hours at home today...it was so exciting :D (Yeah that will wear off soon but man it felt good to be doing some work)