Is it worth getting this over the original?

Thornhorn7

So I started the original Persona 5 when it was free on PS Now and got to the third palace, but couldn't get any further (because of personal reasons) before it was taken off the service. 

I was going to purchase it until I saw that P5 Royal was coming out, and decided to wait, but I've been seeing comments from people on YouTube etc. saying that this game doesn't give the real ending, and is more just fan service for the people who played the original P5. 

So my question is: is it worth buying Royal for full price or should I buy the original for much cheaper? I'd like to experience the original canon story of the game (I'd heard that P5 Royal wasn't canon, but I didn't want to do much digging because I didn't want to spoil myself.) I'm also not taking platinum difficulty into consideration. 

Thanks for any advice :)

I would say the difference in both games are enough to buy the new one because you have additonal stories and old dlcs inclusive...for your case it's different.

we are talking about playing a game for free or buying a full price version.

me personally i would stick with the new version.

depends on your financial situation...

i mean the old version is definitely better than not playing the game... :)

• Like 2

I have spent a few hours on P5R and at this stage haven't experienced anything meaningful in the way of differences. Considering I finished the ps3 versions of the JP and ENG Versions of P5 I may be burnt out a little.

Edited by Z1MZUM

Yes it's worth getting over the Original. It's just like Persona 4 Golden in that it's basically a "Directors Cut" of the game with added content and the Ending in this one is Canon (basically replaces the Canon Ending from the Original, which is still present in this Version as there is a way to miss the new Third Semester at the end of the game and just reach the Original "True Ending"... You can look into that yourself cause Spoilers obviously) and it does make sense why the New Character and Akechi don't appear in Persona 5 Scramble going by the ending in Royal (just saying that cause you see a lot of people say Royal is not Canon... Most likely all those Persona "Fans" who don't have a PS4 and only Port Beg for a Switch Version and/or watched the entire Original game as a Let's Play being all salty that they aren't getting this as usual cause Mainline (or Numbered) Persona games are PlayStation Exclusive after all ?‍♂️) 

• Like 3

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly worth it if you can just get the original much cheaper. Other than a few pacing fixes there is very little in the way of meaningful additions to the game and a lot of what they do add leads to some tonal clashes, along with the new semester ultimately causing the game to just fizzle out as it fails to reach the height and buildup of the final hours of the original 

• Like 2

Yes. It's the definitive version of the game in that, not only are all the additions substantial enough for a new release, but also you can play the game largely ignoring those new changes to have virtually the same experience as Persona 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I happen to own both of them, the steelbook edition of P5 and the physical version of Phantom Thieves edition of P5R. Something that i've been planning to do is to play both of them. If that ever happens, i'll be looking to at least 200+ hours of gameplay. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen, but not yet.

I'm finding the new content quite enjoyable. But I would only say to go for it if money is no object. If you can get p5 for like 10-15 dollars then yeah go for it. If not I think the price of admission for royal is justified. At the end of the day it's just a financial decision to pick which one but royal is the better product 

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to go for P5R, especially if you haven't finished the original. There's more content, slightly expanded boss fights, quality of life improvements, a new ending (you can still get the original one like in P4g), and new characters. I didn't find the new characters very interesting so far, but they're there. 

What I liked the most was the changes to mementos which cut down on the grind if you're over levelled, and actually make you want to stay longer and explore. There's also a new interesting fusion mechanic that occurs the more you fight that makes fusion more fun and interesting. 

This is the definitive P5 experience IMO, but if you're still not convinced, I've often seen P5 complete edition with all DLC discounted. 

If you end up getting golden, you can still get the original DLC for free anyway, plus the new one to buy:)

Edited by BifeSTER
  • Like 1

Yes, after finishing the original P5 twice, as I am towards the end game in Persona 5 Royal, its definitely worth it for all of the improvements to the base game even without the additional 3rd semester.

It's prettier, there are more mini games and the thieves den has its awards system(in game trophies) which is amazing - pushing you to do everything the game has to offer, you can actually maximize all of the confidants in 1 play-through without using a strict guide, the mementos are actually fun now, there is so much to do.

This 120 hours game feels like a 15 hours game because it never stays dull.

I cant stress that out enough that I am speaking as someone who is yet to experience the additional semester, its truly amazing and worth every penny.

If you're into trophies (which you are, since we're here) the platinum in Royal is much easier, less time-consuming and less annoying to obtain. You probably won't have to spoil anything with unnecessary guides. Other than that the fight mechanics are polished (The Showdowns are incredible) and more side-questy things and activities are less of a chore and much MUCH more fun. The new semester which is basically a huge-ass DLC integrated with the original is unforgettable.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Whilst I don't want to hijack this thread for my own nefarious purposes, I didn't really think it worthwhile to create my own, but I did want to ask...

Would this game be a suitable entry point to someone that hasn't played a Jrpg before? I like the look of it (used to hate turn based combat, but have become more agreeable to it as I have aged) & does seem to be pretty well liked across the board.

6 minutes ago, Forrest_01 said:

Would this game be a suitable entry point to someone that hasn't played a Jrpg before? I like the look of it (used to hate turn based combat, but have become more agreeable to it as I have aged) & does seem to be pretty well liked across the board.

If you are ok with turn based gameplay, then ya, it should be a good entry point. 

Although keep in mind that Persona works somewhat like 2 different games that are linked by story and a few mechanics (a everyday sim and a dungeon crawler).

For something more traditionally JRPG, you could try some Tales of, Ys, Dragon Quest games. Those are more typical with the story and action taking place in the same "plane". 

17 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

If you are ok with turn based gameplay, then ya, it should be a good entry point. 

Although keep in mind that Persona works somewhat like 2 different games that are linked by story and a few mechanics (a everyday sim and a dungeon crawler).

For something more traditionally JRPG, you could try some Tales of, Ys, Dragon Quest games. Those are more typical with the story and action taking place in the same "plane". 

Thanks - As it goes, I am not looking specifically for a JRPG, but was interested in this & from what I have read about it, it gets bundled into that general JRPG 'sphere'. I just felt it was worth mentioning that I haven't really played any JRPGs before in case that was a sticking point.

Appreciate the response though, cheers. :) 

13 minutes ago, Forrest_01 said:

Thanks - As it goes, I am not looking specifically for a JRPG, but was interested in this & from what I have read about it, it gets bundled into that general JRPG 'sphere'. I just felt it was worth mentioning that I haven't really played any JRPGs before in case that was a sticking point.

Appreciate the response though, cheers. :) 

I'm normally not into turn based or jrpgs that much and still love the franchise, mainly because the soundtrack is so goddamn awesome. Take Over is probably one of the sickest battle themes I've ever heard. and even though it's turn based it's addicting as fuck with the addition of baton bass, all out attacks, criticals and so on. playing on the highest difficulty makes you feel like a fragile god having insane damage output while also having to watch your moves because one mistake can lead you back to your last checkpoint. it's sooo much fun I'm not kidding. I got to lvl 99 (max level) on my first playthrough compared to level 65 or something on the original game. I know most people played the game for it's story and character (or more like dating sim aspects) but for me it was the gameplay and soundtrack that sold me (the story is also pretty good ofc). And again, i can't praise the soundtrack enough. listen to it, seriously.

• Like 1