Rumor: Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster is Coming

4 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

sf8tLWt.jpg

Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition. Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs – remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

The updated trilogy launches May 14 on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation®5, as well as on PC via Origin and Steam.

wished that bundle inclided the game that is 150 dollars, its crazy to pay that much without game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luis4u said:

The Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is the hidden gem of the community. Being able to experience combat as an Asari, a Drell, a Turian, and more was thrilling and the mode quickly developed a very dedicated player base despite initial concerns. So why didn't BioWare bring it back for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition? We sat down with the team to find out why this addition was deemed "too complicated" during the remaster's development period. 

When speaking with Kevin Meek, environment and character director, and project director Mac Walters, the topic of multiplayer came up and why the studio decided to nix its inclusion. When speaking with , he compared multiplayer to restoring a Porsche, and the analogy actually worked. 

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/02/bioware-explains-why-it-didnt-bring-back-mass-effect-3-multiplayer-in-legendary-edition

RIP multiplayer

I too have very fond memories of the multiplayer, except when you got disconnected from the host 40 minutes into a gold mission, losing everything you earned except sometimes a game freeze... But how I loved my black and white clad Krogan Vanguard; a regular orca on the battlefield!

1 hour ago, Ilzaki said:

I'm excited for the improved character creator, because of course I am.  It's one of the few games where I actually choose the guy.

Agree about character creation, always love to sink hours into it when I start a long RPGs (or Nioh 2). Did two playthroughs of each game anyway, one male, one female, and will do the same, as with most games that give you a choice. It's an option that I embrace, but Jack kind of made the male playthrough mandatory for me. :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Agree about character creation, always love to sink hours into it when I start a long RPGs (or Nioh 2). Did two playthroughs of each game anyway, one male, one female, and will do the same, as with most games that give you a choice. It's an option that I embrace, but Jack kind of made the male playthrough mandatory for me. :)

It was Tali for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

It was Tali for me.

"In three days, as the King had said, Éomer of Rohan came riding to the City, and with him came an éored of the fairest knights of the Mark. He was welcomed; and when they sat all at table in Merethrond, the Great Hall of Feasts, he beheld the beauty of the ladies that he saw and was filled with great wonder. And before he went to his rest he sent for Gimli the Dwarf, and he said to him: 'Gimli Gluin's son, have you your axe ready?'
'Nay, lord,' said Gimli, 'but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.'
'You shall judge,' said Éomer. 'For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady in the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'
'Well, lord,' said Gimli, 'and what say you now?'
'Alas!' said Éomer. 'I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'
'Then I must go for my axe,' said Gimli.
'But first I will plead this excuse,' said Éomer. 'Had I seen her in other company, I would have said all that you could wish. But now I will put Queen Arwen Evenstar first, and I am ready to do battle on my own part with any who deny me. Shall I call for my sword?'
Then Gimli bowed low. 'Nay, you are excused for my part, lord,' he said. 'You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning."

(The Return of the King)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More news, including some vague information on trophy changes. 

“Trophies across the trilogy have been updated
    •    New trophies have been added to the trilogy
    •    Progress for some now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
    •    Trophies that were streamlined into one and made redundant were removed
    •     A number of trophies have had their objectives/descriptions and/or names updated”

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/06/mass-effect-legendary-edition-rebalancing-tuning--mechanical-improvements/?fbclid=IwAR2vhjsW0PlnyeG0MLDxjjdruydYuVr6QtjDJQ7kpu8VfHb3tgrP5yVTy9I#sf244686996

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ONUOsFan said:

•    Progress for some now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
    •     A number of trophies have had their objectives/descriptions and/or names updated”

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/06/mass-effect-legendary-edition-rebalancing-tuning--mechanical-improvements/?fbclid=IwAR2vhjsW0PlnyeG0MLDxjjdruydYuVr6QtjDJQ7kpu8VfHb3tgrP5yVTy9I#sf244686996

Oh god no, this basically confirms that the remaster is only going to have one trophy list. I was hoping not, but the fact that they'd have to remove MP trophies from ME3 made me suspect it would have a single list. Very disappointing.

26 minutes ago, ONUOsFan said:

Interesting, that does make it seem like there'll be a single list. If it was a choice between 1 list for the trilogy though and that many full playthroughs of the first game again i'd take a single list tbh

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Interesting, that does make it seem like there'll be a single list. If it was a choice between 1 list for the trilogy though and that many full playthroughs of the first game again i'd take a single list tbh

Yeah, I was really hoping they were going to make the list for the first game more manageable, but only having one list for such a massive time investment would be disappointing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONUOsFan said:

Yeah, I was really hoping they were going to make the list for the first game more manageable, but only having one list for such a massive time investment would be disappointing. 

Yeah, I'd rather have a UR Mass Effect plat than a single 200+ hour plat for all the games. Really disappointing. I don't see why, if collections like Spyro can get plat per game, this one can't. The tracking between games confirms it though, I think; I haven't heard of any other games having tracking between trophy lists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, I'd rather have a UR Mass Effect plat than a single 200+ hour plat for all the games. Really disappointing. I don't see why, if collections like Spyro can get plat per game, this one can't. The tracking between games confirms it though, I think; I haven't heard of any other games having tracking between trophy lists.

unfortunately, you’re probably right. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ONUOsFan said:

I can practically hear people butt hurt because they won't get three platinums out of it.

I kind of welcome new trophies, but I was hoping to get the platinums all over again. But I'm not gonna cry about one trophy list. I'll leave that to others.

The games matter to me. Not the trophies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

I can practically hear people butt hurt because they won't get three platinums out of it.

I kind of welcome new trophies, but I was hoping to get the platinums all over again. But I'm not gonna cry about one trophy list. I'll leave that to others.

Well, technically it'd be crying over three trophy lists, seeing as how we had three distinct trophy lists tailored to each individual game and will now instead have a single, generic trophy list that has to fit three games in one game's worth of trophy points. Also, probably no DLC trophies, either (although the original dlc lists were hardly comprehensive.)

On 4/7/2021 at 1:07 AM, Valyrious said:

You do realize what site you’re on, right?

• Like 4

I don't see why this needs to be a single list thing just because some trophies track through the whole trilogy. 

The solution which would still allow for 3 separate trophy lists would be to put the trophy(ies) in question on the 3rd game's list, and have the condition (e.g. Kill X number of Y enemy) saved to the game file. Then just read the save imported from game 2. If the trophy condition is already met, then great, pop that bad boy. If not, then start counting from where the save file left off. 

Alternatively, I don't see why the trilogy couldn't have multiple save files, one which is trilogy-wide and tracks meta-stats like this, and another for character progression and story choices. 

Or, option 3, make the trilogy-wide trophies a DLC list attached to one of the 3 games' main list. 

There's lots of options that don't involve there being only one list for the whole trilogy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Yes. PSNProfiles, which seems to prioritize trophies over games. You do realize not everybody holds that belief, right?

To me:

Strike 1: Refusing to completely overhaul ME1, the one that has aged the worst and not including all the DLCs (don't care what the reason is, fact is, not all the ME1 DLCs are included) 

Strike 2: Removing the multi-player portion of ME3. After the disastrous ending, the online kept me hooked for months, trying the many amazing mp exclusive builds like the N7 Paladin was probably the best thing ME3 had to offer. 

Strike 3: Potential removal of features? Trophies? Awful day one surprises maybe? 

It's not that trophies are everything, but they snowball together with all the other issues. If you want to see it as "wOw yOu dOnT wAnNa bUy iT bEcAuSe tRoPhIeS, LmaO sToP wHinNiNg aBoUt tRoPhIeS" then be my guest, but that's a very narrow minded position. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ONUOsFan said:

You do realize what site you’re on, right?

I swear, every other thread has someone trying to generate outrage over people caring about trophies on a ... trophy hunting website. 

1 hour ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

Strike 1: Refusing to completely overhaul ME1, the one that has aged the worst and not including all the DLCs (don't care what the reason is, fact is, not all the ME1 DLCs are included) 

Strike 2: Removing the multi-player portion of ME3. After the disastrous ending, the online kept me hooked for months, trying the many amazing mp exclusive builds like the N7 Paladin was probably the best thing ME3 had to offer. 

Strike 3: Potential removal of features? Trophies? Awful day one surprises maybe? 

I'm hoping the adjustments to ME1 make it a better game to play; it was definitely always the worst of the series IMO. I played through it twice on PC but it got to the point where I'd just download saves to import into ME2 so I could avoid having to slog through it.

But yeah, it is a shame that the ME3 multiplayer isn't going to be preserved; I played Andromeda's and it seemed pretty fun, I imagine ME3's was probably less half baked than it given the state of that game in general (although I enjoyed it.) I never got to try it when I played on PC since I was a broke teenager and had to pirate the games.

• Like 1

The trophy lists being distilled down to one and the lack of multiplayer are bummers for sure, but I'm still very likely to get the game. Hell, I'm excited for it. I think the multiplayer could of been really good. I mean it's always been good and they did a solid job on Andromeda's. So, on wards and upwards right? I'm going to wait until a little more news is out on it and then binge some videos, the drip feed isn't doing it for me. There's no where to go but up when it comes to ME1, especially on Playstation. It's a total mess. The biggest things on my fix list (after crashes) are; enemy/squad AI, tightening controls, inventory management, Mako, visuals... in roughly that order... for now. All those are being addressed, to a certain extent, but we'll have to wait and see how much love each one gets.

I haven't been ravenous for the news, but I heard something that I really like in regards to the thresholds for renegade/paragon actions in ME1 being lowered. I just hope it's lowered enough that if we stick to a path that we won't be locked out of any choices doing a single playthrough. Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Yes. PSNProfiles, which seems to prioritize trophies over games. You do realize not everybody holds that belief, right?

Sure. Just always find it funny when people come on a trophy website and complain about people who care about trophies. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

I haven't been ravenous for the news, but I heard something that I really like in regards to the thresholds for renegade/paragon actions in ME1 being lowered. I just hope it's lowered enough that if we stick to a path that we won't be locked out of any choices doing a single playthrough. Guess we'll see.

This is one of my biggest issues with the 2010 obsession with good / bad morality paths - on the surface they provide very dramatic, choice based storylines, but more often than not it just ends up herding you into one of two moral binaries, and if you fail to be stereotypically good / bad enough you lose out on important opportunities or whole catered storylines (Infamous Second Son). A fair defense is that there isn't much appeal to being "neutral", but that's the whole point - neutral isn't some played up virtue you pursue, it's simply a demonstration that you and your characters are complicated people with complicated moral groundings.

It's one thing to have a generally good character not get the prompt to, say, punch a certain annoying reporter; but it's an entirely different thing to lock very important storyline resolutions (for instance, a certain mission involving the Geth & Quarians) behind making sure that you align as correctly as possible to the writers' ideas of good / bad. It basically ends up being Lawful Good vs Chaotic Evil.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It's one thing to have a generally good character not get the prompt to, say, punch a certain annoying reporter; but it's an entirely different thing to lock very important storyline resolutions (for instance, a certain mission involving the Geth & Quarians) behind making sure that you align as correctly as possible to the writers' ideas of good / bad. It basically ends up being Lawful Good vs Chaotic Evil.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don't view a good/evil mechanic in a game as a plus anymore. Sure, when it was a newish thing I loved it, but I grew out of it pretty quick. ME2 & 3 did get better at not gating off content (but they still did). I think the influence mechanic in 3 was a good step forward and gave us some more wiggle room, but we're still aways off from a good nuanced system. I just wished it evolved a lot further by the end of the series. Maybe the thresholds will be low enough so that we can play more morally grey and still be able to do the major actions. Who knows?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

But yeah, it is a shame that the ME3 multiplayer isn't going to be preserved; I played Andromeda's and it seemed pretty fun, I imagine ME3's was probably less half baked than it given the state of that game in general (although I enjoyed it.) I never got to try it when I played on PC since I was a broke teenager and had to pirate the games.

Gameplay wise it was by far the best of the series. 

I had so many classes at max rank. The variety was insane. 

A hammer wielding 3 meter tall Krogan Warlord? Check. 

A holographic shield wielding Paladin capable of parrying projectiles and bitchslapping enemies? Check. 

A glass cannon Quarian capable of infecting and nuking everything? Check. 

A massive Geth Juggernaut? Check. 

And many more. 

Dang, the memories...

EA being EA could just milk the MP but they're THAT stupid. So even EA sucks at being EA. 

• Like 1