How many Ultra Rare trophies make a Profile “Cool”?

5 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I didn't mean numbers don't mean nothing. But absolute numbers definitely don't (to me). That's what I was trying to explain with my post. The question "how many this and that" makes a profile great can, in my opinion, not be answered with absolute numbers. 

If you have 400 UR trophies but that's either 0.5% of your total trophy count, or most come from "bad" games, then having those 400 UR alone don't make the profile "cool". At least not in my opinion. 

Those reasons are why I started the Thread, “Are you proud of your rarest trophy?” I like hearing the stories about that kind of thing. For instance, my rarest trophy was probably the easiest thing I did on one of the hardest games I played, but the 2nd rarest took a lot more skill. 

7 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

For me it’s the same as stacking a ratalaika game for climbing the leaderboards. Pointless. 

Just play games you enjoy. UR trophies will come naturally, or not.

I’ve said this elsewhere but I don’t think it’s pointless to stack Rata games if, as your last point remarks, you “enjoy” them. The points that come with them are a nice addition. 

4 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I’ve said this elsewhere but I don’t think it’s pointless to stack Rata games if, as your last point remarks, you “enjoy” them. The points that come with them are a nice addition. 

Well it was ofcourse just my opinion ?. This site would be a boring place if we all share the same thoughts.

• Like 2

I'm not even sure URs mean much anymore tbh. I only have 51, but the rarest is the LBPV plat (not very hard at all) and a lot are for Doom 3 BFG on PS3 for very easy things like find all collectibles, or for somewhat obscure games that were on PSPlus like Knytt Underground. Most of my trophies are easy I admit, but a lot of the ones I am proud of don't even fall into the UR category, like my Bloodborne, Killzone Mercenary and Dark Soul 3 plats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThE_mAnIaC_417 said:

I'm not even sure URs mean much anymore tbh. I only have 51, but the rarest is the LBPV plat (not very hard at all) and a lot are for Doom 3 BFG on PS3 for very easy things like find all collectibles, or for somewhat obscure games that were on PSPlus like Knytt Underground. Most of my trophies are easy I admit, but a lot of the ones I am proud of don't even fall into the UR category, like my Bloodborne, Killzone Mercenary and Dark Soul 3 plats.

I totally wish the Hotline Miami series was UR - that took a lot out of me, and put a lot of darkness inside.

1 minute ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I totally wish the Hotline Miami series was UR - that took a lot out of me, and put a lot of darkness inside.

Yeah. I gave up platinuming the first one because of all things the bloody die 1000 times trophy glitched and I have no way of checking if it's since been fixed unless I just grind out deaths and count them to make sure. No way am I doing that unless I'm really, hopelessly bored.

They are really hard games though so congrats for platinuming!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThE_mAnIaC_417 said:

Yeah. I gave up platinuming the first one because of all things the bloody die 1000 times trophy glitched and I have no way of checking if it's since been fixed unless I just grind out deaths and count them to make sure. No way am I doing that unless I'm really, hopelessly bored.

They are really hard games though so congrats for platinuming!

Yikes that really sucks! I know the second one had a glitch to grind deaths fast but not the first. And likewise for your achievements, you actually have a great list of plats imo. 

A percentage is probably a better gauge, but a person would have to purposely seek out games with a lot of URs in order to keep the count as high as possible. As with most of the numbers on this site, I just like to sometimes look at them and go, "Oh, cool."

But I guess for someone with 10k trophies, 500 URs would be pretty impressive, so I like the 5% rule. That's probably high enough that you'd have to manually seek out those games, but not so high that you'd purposely be skipping out on potentially good games.

• Like 2

That is tricky one, there are so many obscure 100% games that no one plays and have loads of easy URd but some people go for them because they have UR trophies, so they can increase their count.

I'd say just play the games you like and don't go out of your way to obtain URs like even try unobtainable plats , i.e: Dragon Fin Soup, to get them.

There are many fun games with UR trophies .

21 minutes ago, ahmedelebiary said:

That is tricky one, there are so many obscure 100% games that no one plays and have loads of easy URd but some people go for them because they have UR trophies, so they can increase their count.

I'd say just play the games you like and don't go out of your way to obtain URs like even try unobtainable plats , i.e: Dragon Fin Soup, to get them.

There are many fun games with UR trophies .

I loved Dragon Fin Soup but ohhhh why couldn't they patch it? It wasn't the trophy gltiches that got me but the game freezes, truly loved the game otherwise.

None. Zip. Nada.

Ultra Rare trophies are only good if you perceive them as good. I have over 10,000 trophies with only a small handful of Ultra Rares. Obviously, I don't really hunt them or go out of my way to get them.

Somebody with over 1,000 Ultra Rare trophies I may give some respect to, but chances are they played a couple games that were utterly crap that had a lot of low rarity trophies. That does not make you a better player over anybody else. I find Ultra Rare hunters to be just as pointless as stacking a Ratalaika Game six times over.

The way I like to play is mixing up my games a bit. Some games may have lower rarities than others, some games have rather high rarities. Doesn't matter to me, as long as I get my money's worth out of the games I'm playing and I'm enjoying myself. Every now and then I like to go after a little challenge, but I don't do it too often. Anybody who has followed my status updates knows I bitch a lot on trophies that give me a rough time.

The numbers on their own do not tell the entire story of a player. We should respect and treat each other as something more than that.

• Like 2

I don't put too much stock in "Ultra Rares" as most people on this site do. I've played many games that were quick and easy and have a lot of these "Ultra Rare" trophies (looking at you, Curses n' Chaos). Heck, I've played some games that used to have ultra rares, but due to low player count, weren't ultra rare anymore by the time I was done with them. What games you've played and completed matters to me more.

I’m not judging anybody else’s profile on a coolness level, but I admit to loving getting ultra rare trophies and pursuing them a quite a bit more than other trophies even if I know I won’t be getting the platinum (my choice of cabinet makes this more clear.) Admittedly, I play a lot of sports games which tend to have an inflated rarity due to the grindyness and seemingly different demographic of gamer in general. It seems that sports gamers are slightly less likely to be trophy hunters but I could be painting with a very broad brush, I’ve just seen a lot of ultra rare sports trophies that are considerably easier than some of the AAA title trophies that are simply rare or uncommon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Lol - no matter the thread, there’s always a way to bash the Rata players, it’s quite the controversy these days...

There’s always something to be said about what people deem pointless on a site dedicated to arbitrary video game achievements. 

24 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

There’s always something to be said about what people deem pointless on a site dedicated to arbitrary video game achievements. 

You know, i've asked myself often, what's the point of this? I've said to my wife, "yes, the trophies are meaningless", and yet, I still continue. I guess I could apply that existential thinking to anything. The music I make, the academic articles I write, the degrees I obtained...who cares? As one of my friends from long ago said, "Anything you do is bullshit". He had a point.

Yet, if life is bullshit, it doesn't mean it has to be shitty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

You know, i've asked myself often, what's the point of this? I've said to my wife, "yes, the trophies are meaningless", and yet, I still continue. I guess I could apply that existential thinking to anything. The music I make, the academic articles I write, the degrees I obtained...who cares? As one of my friends from long ago said, "Anything you do is bullshit". He had a point.

Exactly, it’s a hobby that brings joy, maybe even the occasional sense of accomplishment. I guess it depends on how much of a nihilistic/existential crisis you want to go through when considering what you spend your time on. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

3 hours ago, PFinchen said:

Exactly, it’s a hobby that brings joy, maybe even the occasional sense of accomplishment. I guess it depends on how much of a nihilistic/existential crisis you want to go through when considering what you spend your time on. 

It's just pointless to me, and that's that. People don't have to like what I say.

14 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

It's pointless on an objective scale, but it shouldn't be pointless subjectively as long as it brings enjoyment to your life. Ain't that the point? Making your limited time on earth great? 

And I don't mean trophies alone, I also mean the other points you made. And I can relate very well to exactly those examples, as I have myself done a PhD / postdoc, am part of a music band and hunt trophies ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

UR's alone don't make the man - and neither does completion % alone, or total Trophies alone, or average rarity alone. All of those can be cheesed in various ways (Singstar stacks, Rata games, more Rata games, and having just one game on your profile, respectively).

I'm sitting at 75 UR Trophies myself, many of which I don't think should be anywhere near that ranking - definitely not cool to me. However, combine them with an okay completion percentage (81,77%, I have a lot of work left) and an average rarity of 37,98 (which I am very proud of), and I think my profile is okayish. A work in progress, but definitely nothing to scoff at. I don't think you can ever look at one given number on a profile and determine its value without taking into account many/most/all others.

And finally, personal preferences; I obviously respect Super Meat Boy Platinum owners and doff my virtual hat to them, but if I see someone come along with the Yakuza 3 Platinum Trophy I will bow down far enough for my nose to touch the ground - even though SMB is widely agreed to be tougher than Y3. It's just that some Trophies and games have more meaning to me than others - which conversely goes to show that 'coolness' is completely subjective and that there is no universal standard for it.

Finally a word for OP, I think this was a good question to ask, and a good thread. It was interesting to read everyone's thoughts and perspectives.

Edited by Golem25
  • Like 1