How many Ultra Rare trophies make a Profile “Cool”?

when I discovered the concept of "UR", I was exactly 399. so a friend sent me a message praising my trophies in BADLAND, and saying something like "wow, you have a lot of URs". I asked what it was about, and he said that on this site there was a separation of trophies by rarity. I already knew the site but I didn't know this section specifically. since then i have gained almost 200 URs more, but my play style hasn't changed since then, i realize that many games i am interested in (i'm playing Futuridium EP Deluxe at the moment) have URs naturally, and i always wanted to play that game. so there are a lot of games I still want to play that also have URs, but that was never my motivation. yes, I have Injustice twice platinum because I redeemed both versions for free, as well as Japanese and Western Subnautica that aren't UR. when I got grind platinums that also have high UR rates, I had no idea this was something.

2 hours ago, craig_obviously said:

basically no one gives a #$%^ about your account but you....so

I don't know about that. If you're a dedicated trophy hunter, I think it's inevitable to compare yourself with others and vice versa. Although I understand the bottom line of what you're saying.?

To answer the OP, I think whenever you're in the thousands, alternatively have a high ratio. In scenarios with very few games played, just a single game can be enough granted it's impressive enough - opinions that already have been mentioned though.

On a side note, I don't recommend chasing after easy URs as I've done myself in many cases. Not only will it be a lesser experience as those games is typically not of interest other than the cheap URs they bring, but you also waste money and time better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

By the way, is it even the UR trophies that matter on the whole or just the UR plats? UR non-plats aren't even something I think about when going for UR plats. MW3 didn't even have a single UR trophy except for the platinum in the base list but that's all I cared about for the overall rarity of the project anyway

I guess if the list doesn't have a platinum, but I don't do 100% lists anyway. Just me though

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

By the way, is it even the UR trophies that matter on the whole or just the UR plats? UR non-plats aren't even something I think about when going for UR plats. MW3 didn't even have a single UR trophy except for the platinum in the base list but that's all I cared about for the overall rarity of the project anyway

I guess if the list doesn't have a platinum, but I don't do 100% lists anyway. Just me though

Have to agree with you here for the most part... I am not nearly as tantalized by a UR game unless it's got a shiny UR plat at the top of the mountain! Now with that being said, lately I've been trying not to avoid stuff just because it doesn't have a plat... You end up missing out on alotta cool games if so!

For me, I don't think there's a specific number that makes someone look cooler. I'll echo what many others have said; for me it's more about the quality and overall difficulty of the games played! There are EZPZ UR games too if you wanna find them. I just like to see people having fun and occasionally pushing themselves outside of their comfort boundaries! 

I must say tho, it feels SO DAMN SATISFYING to finally pop that really hard plat or 100% that you've been working your ass off towards! Having it be UR is just the icing on the cake ??

• Like 1

I have no clue.  I suppose an arbitrary number would be 100, which I don't even have.

I guess I don't look a lot at other peoples profiles.  Typically I look at those who have beaten certain games that I have also played.

In general the question comes back to its root of "what makes an account cool at all", and I don't know if any accounts are "cool".  There may be accounts some of us are impressed by more than others, and some of which that we respect that gamer more than others; however in either case the only perception that matters is your own to yourself.

• Like 1

I dont know know this makes it 'cool' but I personally like seeing 100% of series, not just one game in a series. So if someone has all the yakuza or final fantasy trophies that to me is far more impressive than people who have every stack of sound shapes x).

Oh and people who have platinumed games like Crypt of the necrodancer, my hats off to you dedicated lunatics!

14 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

14 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Have to agree with you here for the most part... I am not nearly as tantalized by a UR game unless it's got a shiny UR plat at the top of the mountain! Now with that being said, lately I've been trying not to avoid stuff just because it doesn't have a plat... You end up missing out on alotta cool games if so!

For me, I don't think there's a specific number that makes someone look cooler. I'll echo what many others have said; for me it's more about the quality and overall difficulty of the games played! There are EZPZ UR games too if you wanna find them. I just like to see people having fun and occasionally pushing themselves outside of their comfort boundaries! 

I must say tho, it feels SO DAMN SATISFYING to finally pop that really hard plat or 100% that you've been working your ass off towards! Having it be UR is just the icing on the cake 1f382.png1f3c6.png

non-platinum/100% games are generally the hardest games out there (Capcom Arcade Cabinet, Retro/Grade, Futuridium are examples). I have 100% games that no platinum would ever overcome their difficulty.

at this point i can't care about platinums, i'm a trophy hunter above a platinum hunter.

Today I discovered I may or may not be cool in the eyes of others.

And I'd just like to thank or dismiss all those fans or haters. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for your silent eyes silently judging or praising my profile for its rarity quotient. I hope you felt a warm feeling in your kind heart, or the cynical spite that feeds your cold heart.

Sincerely, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Or not.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

non-platinum/100% games are generally the hardest games out there (Capcom Arcade Cabinet, Retro/Grade, Futuridium are examples). I have 100% games that no platinum would ever overcome their difficulty.

at this point i can't care about platinums, i'm a trophy hunter above a platinum hunter.

Same, I started to slowly not like plats for the last year or so. 

Although Ur Plats do make nice milestones, ngl. 

I have finished 40 non plats in the last 6 months.. And, yea there is plenty of hard impressive non plats, especially in Vr  (Which I do a lot of these days). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Yep I have to say that some of the hardest stuff I've played also doesn't have a plat... Ninja Senki DX was a beast of a game and now I'm working on Trials Fusion which is insanely difficult! Neither of those have plats either!

@Nauticus87 you are super cool to me bud, especially since we are Death Road to Canada twinsies right now ?

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Dubz said:

Yep I have to say that some of the hardest stuff I've played also doesn't have a plat... Ninja Senki DX was a beast of a game and now I'm working on Trials Fusion which is insanely difficult! Neither of those have plats either!

Both are in my backlog :)

12 hours ago, Prometheous101 said:

Although Ur Plats do make nice milestones, ngl. 

I have finished 40 non plats in the last 6 months.. And, yea there is plenty of hard impressive non plats, especially in Vr  (Which I do a lot of these days). 

I will definitely check your profile!

4 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

The answer is exactly 869. No more, no less.

Wow that's kind of of harsh...

I go along with the people that say 100 or so, because it's 3 digits and so much more then 99...

Also I liked the opinion of doing what you like to do. I am kind of an amateur pinball wizard, that's where my rarest trophies come from.

• Like 1

Just now, KnutellaPSN said:

Wow that's kind of of harsh...

I go along with the people that say 100 or so, because it's 3 digits and so much more then 99...

Also I liked the opinion of doing what you like to do. I am kind of an amateur pinball wizard, that's where my rarest trophies come from.

No harshness intended, the comment was very much tongue-in-cheek. The reality is I fall very firmly in the "do what you like" camp as well.

On 24/02/2022 at 7:05 PM, Joe Dubz said:

@Nauticus87 you are super cool to me bud, especially since we are Death Road to Canada twinsies right now 1f602.png

Nowhere near as cool as you doing it twice. I'm pretty sure that counts as Canadian citizenship.

Though I find it funny how the non-HK version has so many extra ultra rares. There's so few players on the HK version that four achievers is ultra but five puts it down to very rare.

But hey, everyone knows it's cooler to own the rarer version of something.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, SlimSanta94 said:

The amount of ultra rare's someone has says nothing about the account, rather the type of person or gamer that they are.. I love seeing people's self improvement and I actively encourage it whenever I can and I love profiles where people just do what they do and have a good time while doing it. That's what I find "cool".

Coming from one of the UR Gods himself ?

• Like 1

It’s actually a counter-intuitive question, I think? ? 

If you’re cool, then people will want to emulate you and will put stock in your taste and opinions…

…which means they will play the same games you play…

…which will make your trophies less rare…

So…

…maybe the answer is… Zero?

• Like 2

I'm never a fan of obsessive focus on an individual number (or even a small collections of numbers) to make any judgements about a person and neither the abilities nor whether their profile is in some way 'cool' or 'uncool'

Whilst I could always make the point of "no one should care" and I certainly don't, I can understand the idea of trying to decipher what makes a so-called 'great' account in a community revolving around these online gamer profiles. But, I always feel these individual stats are not the best metric at all for an overall profile. Any stat that can be seen at a glance needs more depth and context, there's so much that needs unpacking.

We all know that individual stats can be gamed. Total level with Rata stacking, URs with easy UR games, comp% by avoiding starting difficult games/games you're unsure you'll finish, avg. rarity by avoiding high avg. games. All stats can be inflated, often at the sacrifice of another stat (but not always). So long as you're actively focusing on improving that stat it'll shoot up.

Focusing on one stats always brings me back to when I used to play Battlefield and some people were obsessed with KDR as the single most important metric for your skill level (still a thing in most shooters but I have particular memories from BF). People would dedicate their accounts to KDR by playing only Rush, quitting if they're not on the attackers side where they can safely sit at the very back of the map where the enemy cannot go (especially as the match progresses forwards) and snipe maybe 5 kills in the entire match at very low risk anyone's going to bother counter-sniping at that range while they're being pushed (and if they did, the sniper would just quit if they feel pressured or died). You'd see these guys records with like a 10+, sometimes 20+ KDR but their kills per minute is like 0.1, quit% of like 75%+ and zero objective stats at all but acting like they're one of if not THE best player in the game because their KDR stat dominates yours xD. These are the types of people who'd never make it in the pro/eSports scene for example but you'll see them at the top of in-game leaderboards for one on the in-game stats. Just take any game you play online and look at some of the in-game leaderboards (if they're not hacked) and see if you spot any pro players for that game... Nope right? All random guys you've never heard of, heck, maybe you just easily beat one of these guys in matchmaking one day and didn't even notice.

Honestly, same thing can happen in single player games with leaderboards. People find easy ways to farm score in a level by taking like 1 hour farming an infinite spawn or something and make the top 10 for a level but still outright suck at the game compared to those thousands of positions below them because most people just aren't that bothered about that stat. It's fine if you do care, but it doesn't inherently make you better because you place higher than someone who doesn't.

If your intent is to focus on a specific stat then your competition you want to measure up against are those who are focusing on the same stat, no one else. Like heck, you don't compare a sprinter and a long distance runner. If your focus is on URs you're not 'better' than someone with less URs who isn't even trying to participate in that race. Theres a decent amount of people who have enough skill and the time in this community to absolutely destroy these UR hunters at their own game if they decided to switch their focus to URs but that's just not what they're into so they don't. 

It's why I mostly say generic things like a high level account being a good/great trophy hunter but wouldn't comment much further or read anymore into it. The metric is trophies hunted, they've hunted more therefore they're better in that stat of trophies hunted, quite simple. Same with URs, if you have more URs you're the better UR hunter, you've succeeded in gaining a higher quantity of URs, simple. No qualitative argument, just a barebones 'they've shown to be the better person at getting that number higher out of those who tried because their number is higher'. But comparing any of these people generally? Who's got a better account? Who's 'cooler'? No idea, not based on those at a glance stats at least. Where do you start? I don't know.

No individual stat makes your account 'cool' or interesting in any way and honestly if anything seeing an over inflated stat like super high URs, trophy level or super low avg% almost makes your profile look somewhat cringe to me, it looks unnatural, forced and manipulated. I think the 'coolest' profiles are those that naturally reflect on the person who owns it, the ones that have some individual character and originality. I'd rather see you for who you are than a controlled image of yourself you're trying to project to the world. But regardless, the best accounts can still look any way they like because all that qualifies your account to be awesome is that you're having fun and that you think it's awesome.

While I'm needlessly dumping on stat elitism in this topic however, pedestal platinums as I like to call them are yet another thing I see people latch to that don't make or break an account for me either. These are games that in the community are put on a huge pedestal like they're the hardest tasks in all of gaming out there and that having one of these trophies by default makes your profile 'elite' and you a super special breed of gamer. Notable examples include SMB and Necrodancer. Not that games with reputations such as those shouldn't be acknowledged or given credit if someone were to finish the trophies, but some people just see one game on a set list and suddenly act like the person is now literally God and the most skilled gamer in existence... Yeeeeah, no, the ceiling is far far higher than the constraints of the Playstation trophy system and if the most skillful task you've ever done in the medium of videogames is something with a trophy awarded for it then it's really not the huge flex you think it is. It's great, don't get me wrong, not downplaying anyone's accomplishments. It's just that there's so many people far above and beyond that level of ability that putting some people on a pedestal that don't come to close to those tiers of ability feels weird and almost feels dismissive of the many people far above and beyond to confines of an achievement system that for the most part is contextually accessible.

I would make connections with the rise of social media but I don't want to head too much further off topic than I already have. 

In short, there's no simple single metric for what I think is or isn't cool and I like seeing a wide variety of unique individual people enjoying their hobby in whichever way they see fit. Rata-stacking included tbh, if you're having a good time I'm rooting for you.

• Like 2