A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5 June 11, 2020

Aranea Highwind

My highlights: Spider-Man Miles, Stray, Ratchet & Clank, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Demon's Souls, Horizon, Hitman 3. They all look gorgeous in their own way, even Emo Dragon Anime. I am stunned they didn't end the Pragmata trailer with "by Hideo Kojima", it looks right up his alley.

The console itself? I haaaate it. I hated vertical consoles way back in 2006 when they came out, and apparently I still hate them. We don't all mount our TVs, Sony!

Edited by PhyrxianLibrarin
  • Like 1

I am fine with the console look; I think it is better than the PS3 and PS4.  They were smart releasing the look of the Dual Sense controller earlier.  Once I got used to that, the console looks stylish.

I started to fall asleep during the game reveals.  Too much sci-fi and fantasy - and a lot of indie.   Needed to showcase a few more realistic games and GTA V on a 3rd generation of a console does not count.

I will definitely wait now if that is the lineup over the first year.

13 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I just youtubed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq4AoLrvSr0

Ps4 presentation also had a stand and it was vertical.

Ps5 can't be only vertical

I hope you are right. But going from the side where the disc tray is located to the top I do not find it symmetrical.

10 minutes ago, djb5f said:

It is not vertical only.  In fact, they showed a glimpse of it horizontal late in the stream.

Really? Cool :)

Edit: I found it, the disc tray side is the bottom and the stand is in the middle of the console. I hope the console includes that stand.

Edited by GoldenShaka

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

I'll be curious to see how much cheaper that all-digital version of the console will be. Not that I'd ever get that version of course because I like owning games physically. I wonder which version will be more popular with the normies.

lit is possible they are priced the same if the digital version comes with a larger SSD.  

Just now, djb5f said:

lit is possible they are priced the same if the digital version comes with a larger SSD.  

I didn't think of that. It's entirely possible, but I think they'll just make the console cheaper. After all, even if you do get the version of the console that takes discs, it's not like buying games physically will save you any space.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

I didn't think of that. It's entirely possible, but I think they'll just make the console cheaper. After all, even if you do get the version of the console that takes discs, it's not like buying games physically will save you any space.

Agree, I think they will be the same size hard drives but you never know.  PS3 launched with a 60GB with wireless and also a 20GB Ethernet only.

• Like 1

Just now, Noskillzpro407 said:

You can place it horizontally. Look at Playstation’s Instagram post. It is laying horizontally there.

Yes, thank you, i just posted that I saw that view on the video. And I actually like how it looks horizontally.

• Like 1

Alright. First impressions; pretty solid overall. Maybe a little bit too much with the cartoony games, but hey, PlayStation has always wanted to offer something for everyone. So you could expect some stuff thrown in to appeal to really young audiences.

As for the games:

1. GTA V on PS5: Sure. Why not. Print more money, Rockstar. It only confirms one thing: GTA VI is not coming soon at all.
  2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales: Looks like the first Spider-Man game, but with upped graphics and a new protagonist. I'm expecting a solid game, but nothing that will wow us even more than the original did two years ago. As long as they can reach the same level of quality with the previous title: I'm happy.
  3. Gran Turismo 7: your quintessential racing sports game to launch alongside a new PlayStation console. Simulation fans will love it, everyone else will probably pass on it.
  4. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: Pretty cool announcement! Ratchet & Clank games have always been great platformers. And I'm really glad to hear Dr. Nefarious is returning, according to Clank's VO in the trailer; he's one of the most hilarious and memorable villains in gaming history. This is one that I'll definitely want to play.
  5. Project Athia: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics. First thought: "here comes the God of War 2/Horizon 2 reveal!" I was wrong. But still: looks mysterious and very interesting. Not much known as of right now, but I'm interested to see more, and probably play it.
  6. Returnal: "Edge of Tomorrow: The Game". Sort of. I had Deathloop in my head the entire time I saw this, even though their narrative direction does seem to be different. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt: show me more.
  7. Sackboy: A Big Adventure: It'll have to be damn good for me to jump into this one. The LittleBigPlanet games are charming, but after several games, it does start to wear off a bit.
  8. Destruction Allstars: A destruction derby-esque game where you can still have an impact whether your car is still operational or not. Impression: okay.
  9. Kena: Bridge of Spirits: Looks charming and interesting. Gaming can certainly need a few more compelling female protagonists, and I love the oriental atmosphere in the trailer. I'd like to see more!
  10. Goodbye Volcano High: The most psychedelic entry in tonight's presentation. First time that I actually thought: "What the fuck have they been smoking?" I'll keep an open mind for this one, but so far, I can't give you a proper opinion. Looks unique, to say the least.
  11. Oddworld: Soulstorm: This is another entry I'm very interested in. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee is a classic platformer which you should definitely have played. Can't wait to see what's next for Abe. Approved!
  12. Ghostwire: Tokyo: Seems like Shinji Mikami is stepping out of his comfort zone. I was expecting spooky stuff, but this was... unique. Would want to see more first.
  13. Jett: The Far Shore: Another psychedelic entry which needs some explanation. Too vague, but looks interesting.
  14. Godfall: Probably the only game on this list where I thought: "I was expecting a lot more. Kind of disappointing at first glance." I need to see more, but at the moment, I'm not sold.
  15. Solar Ash: I have no idea what's going on. I'm confused. Please show me more.
  16. Hitman III: Sold. These games have always been a blast to play, and the third one of the reboot series will undoubtedly have lots to offer as well in its missions. Count me in.
  17. Astro's Playroom: Never played the VR game "Astro Bot: Rescue Mission", so I didn't feel this one either. Might need to wait to try out the previous game or this one for myself, before I can even convey my feelings about it.
  18. Little Devil Inside: Young guy drops a bomb. Old guy drops a deuce in quick succession. Interest = piqued.
  19. NBA 2K21: Okay, maybe I need to rectify what I said earlier. Aside from Godfall, this is the second game where I thought: don't care. And yes, the NBA 2K20 controversy has something to do with that.
  20. Bugsnax: Weird. Really weird. Hopefully in a good way.
  21. Demon's Souls: At first I figured this was Bloodborne 2, but I'll settle for a full-on remake of Demon's Souls. Presentation was spot-on. Sold.
  22. Deathloop: You can clearly see the influence in the gameplay, including the warping; that this is Arkane Studios material. Should probably finish Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, while I'm at it. Anyhow, still interested to learn more about this one, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
  23. Resident Evil VIII: Village: I don't care what people are saying about the title or the visual direction. So far, most Resident Evil games have been really good. This one gets the benefit of the doubt as well, I want to see more of this. And awaiting Outlast 3, I will want to play this.
  24. Pragmata: Another weird post-apocalyptic game wrapped in mystery. Almost made me think of Death Stranding. The visual direction reminded me of Kojima's work. But, I'd like to give this one a shot too.
  25. Horizon II: Forbidden West: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics: "Okay, THIS has got to be the Horizon 2/God of War 2 reveal!" Was expecting one of the two to make its appearance, to be introduced as an early PS5 system seller. Thoughts: I'll want to play this. Other thoughts: Shit, I have to really finish Horizon 1 sometime during the summer.

And as for the console reveal: design definitely looks different from previous PlayStation consoles. They actually took more of a risk with this one, by giving it somewhat of a slight futuristic look. Hope it comes in black, along with the controller. I feel kind of mixed about it. But that's inherent to change, it always is. I think we'll need to get used to it, but once we do, it'll be as if we never had any doubts about it.

I'm definitely opting for a full PS5 console with disc tray, because I have too many games on disc, and I won't be getting everything digitally in the future either.

All-in-all: positive presentation. Looking forward to seeing what the third-party devs have to show us in the next few months, because there is still A LOT we know nothing about (concerning software).

Edit: totally forgot to mention one other game:

• Stray: Really vague, but it seems to center on humanity having gone extinct, and only robots and animals are left. I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt too, for now. Most of the reveals have been nothing but teasers, so we need a lot more gameplay footage to give actual proper first impressions. This'll have to do for now; though.
Edited by JoaLoft
Forgot a game in my list, Sony showed a lot of stuff, lol
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoaLoft said:

Alright. First impressions; pretty solid overall. Maybe a little bit too much with the cartoony games, but hey, PlayStation has always wanted to offer something for everyone. So you could expect some stuff thrown in to appeal to really young audiences.

As for the games:

1. GTA V on PS5: Sure. Why not. Print more money, Rockstar. It only confirms one thing: GTA VI is not coming soon at all.
  2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales: Looks like the first Spider-Man game, but with upped graphics and a new protagonist. I'm expecting a solid game, but nothing that will wow us even more than the original did two years ago. As long as they can reach the same level of quality with the previous title: I'm happy.
  3. Gran Turismo 7: your quintessential racing sports game to launch alongside a new PlayStation console. Simulation fans will love it, everyone else will probably pass on it.
  4. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: Pretty cool announcement! Ratchet & Clank games have always been great platformers. And I'm really glad to hear Dr. Nefarious is returning, according to Clank's VO in the trailer; he's one of the most hilarious and memorable villains in gaming history. This is one that I'll definitely want to play.
  5. Project Athia: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics. First thought: "here comes the God of War 2/Horizon 2 reveal!" I was wrong. But still: looks mysterious and very interesting. Not much known as of right now, but I'm interested to see more, and probably play it.
  6. Returnal: "Edge of Tomorrow: The Game". Sort of. I had Deathloop in my head the entire time I saw this, even though their narrative direction does seem to be different. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt: show me more.
  7. Sackboy: A Big Adventure: It'll have to be damn good for me to jump into this one. The LittleBigPlanet games are charming, but after several games, it does start to wear off a bit.
  8. Destruction Allstars: A destruction derby-esque game where you can still have an impact whether your car is still operational or not. Impression: okay.
  9. Kena: Bridge of Spirits: Looks charming and interesting. Gaming can certainly need a few more compelling female protagonists, and I love the oriental atmosphere in the trailer. I'd like to see more!
  10. Goodbye Volcano High: The most psychedelic entry in tonight's presentation. First time that I actually thought: "What the fuck have they been smoking?" I'll keep an open mind for this one, but so far, I can't give you a proper opinion. Looks unique, to say the least.
  11. Oddworld: Soulstorm: This is another entry I'm very interested in. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee is a classic platformer which you should definitely have played. Can't wait to see what's next for Abe. Approved!
  12. Ghostwire: Tokyo: Seems like Shinji Mikami is stepping out of his comfort zone. I was expecting spooky stuff, but this was... unique. Would want to see more first.
  13. Jett: The Far Shore: Another psychedelic entry which needs some explanation. Too vague, but looks interesting.
  14. Godfall: Probably the only game on this list where I thought: "I was expecting a lot more. Kind of disappointing at first glance." I need to see more, but at the moment, I'm not sold.
  15. Solar Ash: I have no idea what's going on. I'm confused. Please show me more.
  16. Hitman III: Sold. These games have always been a blast to play, and the third one of the reboot series will undoubtedly have lots to offer as well in its missions. Count me in.
  17. Astro's Playroom: Never played the VR game "Astro Bot: Rescue Mission", so I didn't feel this one either. Might need to wait to try out the previous game or this one for myself, before I can even convey my feelings about it.
  18. Little Devil Inside: Young guy drops a bomb. Old guy drops a deuce in quick succession. Interest = piqued.
  19. NBA 2K21: Okay, maybe I need to rectify what I said earlier. Aside from Godfall, this is the second game where I thought: don't care. And yes, the NBA 2K20 controversy has something to do with that.
  20. Bugsnax: Weird. Really weird. Hopefully in a good way.
  21. Demon's Souls: At first I figured this was Bloodborne 2, but I'll settle for a full-on remake of Demon's Souls. Presentation was spot-on. Sold.
  22. Deathloop: You can clearly see the influence in the gameplay, including the warping; that this is Arkane Studios material. Should probably finish Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, while I'm at it. Anyhow, still interested to learn more about this one, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
  23. Resident Evil VIII: Village: I don't care what people are saying about the title or the visual direction. So far, most Resident Evil games have been really good. This one gets the benefit of the doubt as well, I want to see more of this. And awaiting Outlast 3, I will want to play this.
  24. Pragmata: Another weird post-apocalyptic game wrapped in mystery. Almost made me think of Death Stranding. The visual direction reminded me of Kojima's work. But, I'd like to give this one a shot too.
  25. Horizon II: Forbidden West: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics: "Okay, THIS has got to be the Horizon 2/God of War 2 reveal!" Was expecting one of the two to make its appearance, to be introduced as an early PS5 system seller. Thoughts: I'll want to play this. Other thoughts: Shit, I have to really finish Horizon 1 sometime during the summer.

And as for the console reveal: design definitely looks different from previous PlayStation consoles. They actually took more of a risk with this one, by giving it somewhat of a slight futuristic look. Hope it comes in black, along with the controller. I feel kind of mixed about it. But that's inherent to change, it always is. I think we'll need to get used to it, but once we do, it'll be as if we never had any doubts about it.

I'm definitely opting for a full PS5 console with disc tray, because I have too many games on disc, and I won't be getting everything digitally in the future either.

All-in-all: positive presentation. Looking forward to seeing what the third-party devs have to show us in the next few months, because there is still A LOT we know nothing about (concerning software).

Sorry for borrowing your list and numbering, to me:

2: expect the same as last one, wait for PSN+

5: interested in more information

6: very interested but a bit dissappointed with the combat. Also, sorry for not being PC, i prefer a more attractive female as the protagonist.

12: the idea is very interesting, will check it out.

16: as long as the trophies are set up better

23 & 25: typical AAA games, will check them out.

Just now, Maverick6146 said:

Sorry for borrowing your list and numbering, to me:

2: expect the same as last one, wait for PSN+

5: interested in more information

6: very interested but a bit dissappointed with the combat. Also, sorry for not being PC, i prefer a more attractive female as the protagonist.

12: the idea is very interesting, will check it out.

16: as long as the trophies are set up better

23 & 25: typical AAA games, will check them out.

Not at all! And I'm not sure, I may want to play the new Spider-Man game at launch. The vast majority of Sony's first-party games are worth experiencing at full price.

GTAV in the beginning was funny, but after that I was blown away, honestly.

Expected to see Horizon 2, Demon's Souls and Resident Evil 8.

Did not expect to see a new Spider-Man and a new Ratchet. Even that Sackboy game was a nice surprise. Always good to see a first-party 3D platformer. 

I'm also hearing that Ghostwire, Deathloop and the majority of the games shown on the stream are PS5 console exclusives. Interesting.

Will be interesting to see the price difference between the two console versions.