Shadowman Remastered announced

Z1MZUM

30 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

If you've only played the PS1 version of this game (or even the N64 - both are far inferior to the PC version), you really owe it to yourself to give it another shot. Especially this gorgeous remaster :o

Dreamcast Version was my first and tbh still plays fine today through VGA/OSSC

35 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Dreamcast Version was my first and tbh still plays fine today through VGA/OSSC

Oh yeah, forgot about the Dreamcast version :o I've never played it, but always heard it was a very faithful port - except for some audio issues?

Btw, Shadow Man's soundtrack is AWESOME. 

• Like 1

The more I read this thread the more I wait to meet Jaunty again xD So glad there's more fans of this amazing gem.But you will need the patience of a saint to get past the first level and figure out the crazy layout :D This is one convoluted game, just like good ol' Turok 2.

12 hours ago, Maahniac said:

Btw, Shadow Man's soundtrack is AWESOME. 

Reminded me of this one. Hits different after the shit you have to go through just to blast his fat ass.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheMutilatingOne said:

Remaster of Kingpin and now Shadowman? Blessed 2021.

Yeah Kingping is on my Wishlist.

Being Bias here, you are all my favorite people on PSN now. Just because you know this game and spent the time finding why it's brilliant.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

Being Bias here, you are all my favorite people on PSN now. Just because you know this game and spent the time finding why it's brilliant.

Haha, I feel the same! Shadow Man has stayed with me ever since 2000, where I think I tried it the first time. I hope this Remaster will open the eyes for several new gamers, or maybe even gamers who vaguely remember the game and want to give it another go. I mean... the World, the atmosphere, the story, the soundtrack.

The developers keep saying that the reason why there's a delay on consoles, is because the certification process for consoles takes much longer. Does any of you guys know how much longer that typically is? Are we talking weeks, months... 6 months even?

And thanks for the music @Copanele :D Indeed a great track. Awesome to see more Shadow Man fans in here...

For we are (not that) many...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maahniac said:

The developers keep saying that the reason why there's a delay on consoles, is because the certification process for consoles takes much longer. Does any of you guys know how much longer that typically is? Are we talking weeks, months... 6 months even?

I follow the Shadowman Video Game Club on Facebook and here is what Tim Haywood (Original Composer) had to say in regards to the lack of marketing and console releases.

"The simple answer is lack of time, Covid directly affected the amount of development time that was available, key people were ill, or unavailable directly or indirectly because of the virus.  Which is why the launch videos didn't have final artwork, why some material didn't make it in to 1.0, and why further marketing like you describe didn't get done it time.

We actually wanted to release the game a little sooner, but again the affects of Covid on development have meant that it wasn't the usual kind of release.

As you saw there was no pre-order, or Store page before release day.  This was all because of the virus.  Its also why some bugs were in the game. 

Nothing was rushed, this wasn't the case, everything that was completed was done in a sensible manner.  But not everything that would normally happen on a project happened because of a shortening of development time. Which couldn't be predicted because of the dynamic nature of the virus.

Over the next few weeks and months, more time is being spent on catching up on many of these aspects.  A content and fix patch for the PC versions are coming, additional marketing and product support is being fashioned, and also the console releases are being prepared.

Night Dive have done the best they could in very difficult circumstances, give them a bit of time, and all will be as it should be."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I follow the Shadowman Video Game Club on Facebook and here is what Tim Haywood (Original Composer) had to say in regards to the lack of marketing and console releases.

"The simple answer is lack of time, Covid directly affected the amount of development time that was available, key people were ill, or unavailable directly or indirectly because of the virus.  Which is why the launch videos didn't have final artwork, why some material didn't make it in to 1.0, and why further marketing like you describe didn't get done it time.

We actually wanted to release the game a little sooner, but again the affects of Covid on development have meant that it wasn't the usual kind of release.

As you saw there was no pre-order, or Store page before release day.  This was all because of the virus.  Its also why some bugs were in the game. 

Nothing was rushed, this wasn't the case, everything that was completed was done in a sensible manner.  But not everything that would normally happen on a project happened because of a shortening of development time. Which couldn't be predicted because of the dynamic nature of the virus.

Over the next few weeks and months, more time is being spent on catching up on many of these aspects.  A content and fix patch for the PC versions are coming, additional marketing and product support is being fashioned, and also the console releases are being prepared.

Night Dive have done the best they could in very difficult circumstances, give them a bit of time, and all will be as it should be."

Wow thanks for this input, the PC version seems to be running great so far. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Damn is it Christmas time already? I have been waiting for this for I don't know how long!!

This is also a rather decent trophy list! Cadeaux Man will definitely be the most annoying trophy in the list, I managed to get all the Cadeaux in the original game and it's not a fun endeavor, be warned xD

Also Immortal Voodoo Warrior is an interesting one...is that a no death run I wonder? Game isn't that difficult but still...this would be interesting.

Regardless, mad excited for this remaster!

EDIT: Summoning @Maahniac here, you might have more inputs to share :D 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Damn is it Christmas time already? I have been waiting for this for I don't know how long!!

This is also a rather decent trophy list! Cadeaux Man will definitely be the most annoying trophy in the list, I managed to get all the Cadeaux in the original game and it's not a fun endeavor, be warned xD

Also Immortal Voodoo Warrior is an interesting one...is that a no death run I wonder? Game isn't that difficult but still...this would be interesting.

Regardless, mad excited for this remaster!

EDIT: Summoning @Maahniac here, you might have more inputs to share :D 

OMG OMG OMG! ? FINALLY!

Haha, thanks for summoning me Copanele! Cheers ?

I'd estimate it to be a 20 hour Platinum or so (maybe 15 hours - it's kind of difficult to estimate. Either way, not a terribly long Platinum journey), and perhaps a 3/10 or 4/10 in terms of difficulty. If it requires a No Death run, then of course things get a bit more difficult. Still, very doable. Finding all Cadeaux will be a bit of a grind, but there's no way I wouldn't do that, even if there wasn't a trophy for it, so I don't mind.

Damn, I'm so excited for this, any release date?

Edited by Maahniac
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Maahniac said:

Finding all Cadeaux will be a bit of a grind, but there's no way I wouldn't do that, even if there wasn't a trophy for it, so I don't mind.

Damn, I'm so excited for this, any release date?

True Shadowman enjoyers go for all Cadeaux, temples included xD 

And sadly I have seen no release date. Even checked the store. When it's up however, insta-buy!

• Like 2

Yeah, can't wait for this!

I remember the gameplay being pretty janky on the PS1 but the story and atmosphere was really captivating. I loved the idea of getting the gads to access new areas. I never even beat one of the bosses so I'm looking forward to playing this and actually finishing it.

Come on slowpoke!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gamer_darkly said:

Yeah, can't wait for this!

I remember the gameplay being pretty janky on the PS1 but the story and atmosphere was really captivating. I loved the idea of getting the gads to access new areas. I never even beat one of the bosses so I'm looking forward to playing this and actually finishing it.

Come on slowpoke!

Yeah, I also had the PS1 version, which is one of the worst ports ever made :( It was notoriously bad. The fact that it still became one of my favorite games of all-time, despite how bad that port was, speaks volumes about the quality of the game itself ;)

• Like 2

I had it on both PS One and N64 back in the day. IIRC, the PS One version has glitches that would reset progress or not track collectibles like the Cadeaux correctly, in addition to the extra jankiness of the controls. Graphical issues too, like the animations on characters’ mouths when speaking in cutscenes, etc.

Side note, play Shadow Man 2nd Coming on PS2 if you ever get a chance. Critically panned I believe, but a severely underrated gem imho, and also a great story with cool bosses. Nothing compares to the first game though. ?

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SmileSlice said:

I had it on both PS One and N64 back in the day. IIRC, the PS One version has glitches that would reset progress or not track collectibles like the Cadeaux correctly, in addition to the extra jankiness of the controls. Graphical issues too, like the animations on characters’ mouths when speaking in cutscenes, etc.

Side note, play Shadow Man 2nd Coming on PS2 if you ever get a chance. Critically panned I believe, but a severely underrated gem imho, and also a great story with cool bosses. Nothing compares to the first game though. 1f60e.png

Yeah, and I remember framerate drops were terrible as well. I was pretty young back then, and didn't quite understand games, so I thought something was wrong with my specific game, because of the framerate drops, haha.

I have Shadow Man 2econd Coming for PS2 as well, but I've only completed it once. I really liked it, and didn't understand why it was panned, but it's definitely not as good as the first game, like you said. It's more... standard? The thing about the first game is that there's nothing that feels quite like it. I remember the soundtrack of 2econd Coming being pretty great though, and I also like the day and night cycle-thing.

• Like 2

Perfect way to describe the first game! Nothing else quite like it. The creepiness vibe from certain parts too, I’ve yet to ever experience from another game to date. Omg, those frame rate drops were absurd. I’d forgotten until you mentioned that actually. I sincerely hope we get to see 2nd Coming eventually remastered as well.

That game had spots open in the story for two more levels and bosses (I remember being extremely confused as a kid why the story mentioned seven demons, yet two entrances were always blocked off). Similar to how the first game is getting missing content added back, I’d love to see that happen with the sequel eventually too.

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SmileSlice said:

Perfect way to describe the first game! Nothing else quite like it.

The creepiness vibe from certain parts too, I’ve yet to ever experience from another game to date.

Omg, those frame rate drops were absurd. I’d forgotten until you mentioned that actually.

Haha yeah. That Avery Marx level, holy shit. That level gave me some serious nightmares.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Haha yeah. That Avery Marx level, holy shit. That level gave me some serious nightmares.

YES! Exactly! That was… overwhelming for me as a kid. I won’t elaborate for fear of spoilers for anyone, but I’ve still never come across another level in anything that had me so unnerved.

Just now, SmileSlice said:

YES! Exactly! That was… overwhelming for me as a kid. I won’t elaborate for fear of spoilers for anyone, but I’ve still never come across another level in anything that had me so unnerved.

Oh.. yeah... I should keep my mouth shut as well, haha.