PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

Aranea Highwind

The cooling system seems quite impressive. Not just the fan and heat sink, but from what I understand, this liquid metal is supposed to be much better than the thermal paste that came in the PS4 and it'll last longer too. I like that it has those dust catcher parts you can vacuum too. I've said it before, but I don't mind how huge the system is so long as it's quiet, and that seems to be the case.

• Like 1

Overall it is a very well built machine, with this new cooling system im sure it will be silent, compared to a PS4.

My only concern is the built in SSD into the motherboard.

The way i understand it, that will be the primary storage(boot drive) and the NVME SSD expansion will work like the expanded storage on the PS4. (So you can only install games)
If that is the case and you can only install the operating system (OS) to the built in SSD, then if your SSD dies, your PS5 will become paper weight and there wont be an easy way to fix it.

We dont know how long the SSDs will last, but if they start dying before the end of the generation (before PS6), it could be a problem.

SSD-s work differently compared to HDD-s, their longevity depends on how much times you rewrite the data on them. Lets assume that the PS5 will have like 650GB free space for games after the OS  takes its chunk, now that wont be enough for a lot of games and people who play a lot of games will be forced to install and uninstall games very often. Also there is another thing that could use the SSD a lot, the gameplay recording function. On PS4 your gameplay is being recorded to the HDD constantly, it depends on your setting for how long, i think the default is 15 minutes. Any footage over this time gets deleted, so when you push the share button and save the video, your last 15 minutes of gameplay can be saved. Now if this function will work the same way on the PS5, then it will be constantly writing video data to your SSD, reducing its longevity...

This issue could be easily fixed tho, if they allowed OS installation to the NVME drive, which might be possible or impossible depending on how they designed the system, we will have to wait for official confirmation on this.

19 hours ago, peffsi said:

I hope they sell special edition plates separately from entire consoles. Some special PS4s were cool looking, but I never bought any because my own console still worked. (and I'm way too lazy to sell/trade my old console)

That was one of the things that I was thinking as well.  Not only will it be neat to see all the custom ones different vendors will come up with and put out, but Sony would always have these really cool bundles for different games, I'd see them and say that they looked nice, but, it's not that I'm going to go out and buy a new console when mine already works.  This enables them to do a lot of special editions of various different games that come with branded face plates.  I hope that they're thinking that because you've got to assume that they are.

I like the vacuum dust-catcher ports, I like the same stand being used for both horizontal and vertical (was worried it would require a separate purchase because they're always showing it vertical and mines going to have to be horizontal to fit), I like the liquid metal, like I said I like the removable face plates, but was anyone else taken aback by how neatly he laid out all those parts, lol.  That was impressive by itself.

Edited by Cherrywood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherrywood said:

was anyone else taken aback by how neatly he laid out all those parts, lol.  That was impressive by itself.

Haha, I saw someone compare the video to a Japanese tea ceremony. Just the very calm presentation, and the slow deliberate movements, gently placing each removed piece onto the table.. As a fan of Japanese culture, I definitely appreciated it!

And I was stunned they put that much design work into the base (the little storage compartment for the screw, the plug to seal the hole, and rotating it to hide the storage compartment..).

Anti-Sony people are like "LOL YOU NEED A SCREWDRIVER! LOL IT NEEDS A BASE TO LIE FLAT" and I'm just like "holy crap they made sure no one will lose the screw! This is amazing!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Viper said:

The dust catchers are the one thing i'm a little confused by. The PS5 is a monster of a console...how are those two little holes going solve the dust problem? Still a lot of the console for dust to get trapped in. 

You'll never be able to completely stop dust getting into any home electronic however I'm assuming those are there to help clean out dust from where it is most likely to gather and/or cause ventilation issues.