PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

Aranea Highwind

This is so amazing. I've dismantled my PS3, 4 & Vita countless times for cleaning / replacing parts / boredom so it was super exciting to see the PS5 dismantled like this, in an official capacity as well.

I'm very interested that the white casing appears to come off very easily. Hoping that we'll see some variations and perhaps special edition including new casings in the future. :)

• Like 2

They tried big cooling system with original ps3, it seems that this one will be more effective.

The only thing that i dislike at first glance is that couple of "hooks" as part of the stand, even when it isn't something you would manipulate constantly I hope it's not easily breakable.

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Really well designed. I think I'm in the minority when I say I love the look of the console. It's going to be cool to see custom faceplates.

You're in the minority online that are willing to be openly positive and don't whip out the magnifying glass in search of nits to pick.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Nice vid.

Worries me a little bit as far as internal storage extension is concerned, though. I was pretty happy with how easy and fast it was to install a 2 TB SSD in a PS4 (regular or Pro).

I don't doubt within a year or so we'll see a list of 3rd party drives that will be options to swap out once they start making drives that are built the way the ones in the PS5 were designed.

• Like 1

What pleasantly surprised me was that instead of replacing the SSD if you want to upgrade you can just install another one to get more storage. It never occured to me there'd be an extra M.2 slot and that the internal SSD was just directly soldered on the motherboard. I always assumed you'd have to replace the internal SSD if you wanted more storage.

Was also nice to find out that there's dust filters and that cleaning them is easy by just vacuuming through the holes.

Edited by Janire1911
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don't doubt within a year or so we'll see a list of 3rd party drives that will be options to swap out once they start making drives that are built the way the ones in the PS5 were designed.

Nevermind. I watched the video again, and this time I saw the expansion bay. At first I thought it was pretty radical to have to mess with the MB to change their mini SSD.

Edit: ninja’d by @Janire1911 while typing.

Edited by KennethMcCormick
ninja’d

1 hour ago, AlphaExGAT said:

I dig it. Panel is easy to remove(good for future customization) . Has a dust catcher and the fan is easy to get to. Oh and liquid metal cooling is a great choice of course. I don't really have any complaints.

that liquid metal cooling is badass

i also like the fact you have 4 usb ports instead of just 2. anyone with psvr and a flash drive knows how annoying 2 ports is when a controller is dying lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

that liquid metal cooling is badass

i also like the fact you have 4 usb ports instead of just 2. anyone with psvr and a flash drive knows how annoying 2 ports is when a controller is dying lol

or buy a controller charge station, have 4+ controllers, or have multiple plug ins in the house to charge as you play