New Platinum Trophy Value and Trophy Level Formula

NathanielJohn

1 minute ago, FrediPy_ said:

Sure it does. What I meant is that some people aimed to level up at the same time of achieving a certain trophy (typically a platinum or a hard/significant trophy). That disappears with the level redistribution, as you don't level up at the exact same amount of points.

The level history with the old system is still there on this website, but I guess it will change soon.

That doesn’t really change any milestones though, the points don’t have any impact on milestones like 10000th Trophy or 100th Platinum. Level History will definitely change, but Milestones would not.

2 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

That doesn’t really change any milestones though, the points don’t have any impact on milestones like 10000th Trophy or 100th Platinum. Level History will definitely change, but Milestones would not.

I see the confusion now ? I didn't remember that list is called literally "Trophy Milestones" on the profile, I simply meant milestone as an important event (related to levels, which is what we're talking about), sorry about that!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

You’ve got this logic like we’re still on the old system, it’s more or less the same except the level scales changed, you’re literally in the same place you were, just updated to the new system. Not hard to understand. 

I haven't said I don't understand it. I said I liked the old system better. Being lv 50 or 500 is practically the same, but now the platinum is a bigger part of the formula. And because of the rising number of "games" like My name is Mayo I don't really like that higher importance of a platinum trophy.

28 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol they definitely did. Makes perfect sense to me, people just have a problem with change and think any change is worse than what we had, when it really isn’t. they just changed the scale. Talk about an overreaction.

Not really sure how I overreacted... All I did was make a suggestion on how the scaling could have been done differently. I understand it's the same but I guess I wanted more of a challenge out of it.

Oh well, damage already done. Horrible debut post. :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scion_of_Umbra said:

Not really sure how I overreacted... All I did was make a suggestion on how the scaling could have been done differently. I understand it's the same but I guess I wanted more of a challenge out of it.

Oh well, damage already done. Horrible debut post. :(

Lol too funny, it’s a fine post. it’s more or less the same level of challenge though, the higher up you go the longer it takes to level up. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

Hmm dunno how I feel about it exactly, too soon to tell.

Not gonna lie though, levelling up by completing  just a game or two instead of ten will make it more rewarding, especially for lower levels (where they need to make you addicted to continue on).

The plat change 'seems' good, finishing a game completely should be rewarded accordingly, only issue being the rata games but don't think Sony can do anything about it (my solution would be for these games to have all of their trophies being bronze, instead of the gold/silver they tend to have; that should make the total points more reasonable but still interest trophy hunters).

To be fair, mostly trophy hunters were interested in these games, and I highly doubt it will change now.

Big kuddos at @NathanielJohn for the math and everything

I am not sure if other people have posted any proposals on how to make the leveling system a bit more fair and standardized so I thought I would give my opinions here. I agree with the general sentiment that these changes to the trophy system do not actually address the issues that trophy hunters deal with and in fact exacerbates the quick and easy platinum strategy. I am of the camp that your level should be reflective of skill and dedication rather than just cheap tactics. I thought about how to improve the system and the best proposal I can come up with is to normalize the points based on percent completion. Obviously it is difficult to adjust points based on a theoretical difficulty of how hard a platinum is to earn but one thought is to modify the points based on the percentage of people who have earned that trophy. Under the previous point system:

• Bronze = 15 points
  • Silver = 30 points
  • Gold = 90 points
  • Platinum = 180 points

However if we divide the points by the percentage earned we might be able to standardize it a bit more. For example if we take the bronze trophy in Tetra's escape for World 1, that has a 98% completion rate (I'm using PSN profiles completion rate for this example). If we divide the bronze trophy point value with the completion percentage the adjusted bronze trophy would still be worth 15 points. However, compare that to the bronze trophy in Dark Souls remastered for the Covenant: Way of White trophy which has an 84% completion rate. This trophy would now be worth 18 points. I tried doing this exercise for Dark Souls and Tetra's Escape since both of them come out to exactly 1230 points and the adjusted points based on completion were as follows:

• Tetra's Escape: 1230 (originial) --> 1300 (adjusted)
  • Dark Souls Remastered: 1230 (orignial) --> 2990 (adjusted)

I would love to see some kind of system like this be implemented. This system can also adjust over time so if a trophy becomes more common its point value goes down and vice versa. I think that this system would be a much better way of incentivizing trophy hunters to actually chase after games that are challenging and have the PSN level be far more reflective of skill. Would love to hear your thoughts

• Like 1

I updated my spreadsheet I keep and these metrics lined up great at least to 622, thanks

21 minutes ago, DarthMagnus0605 said:

I am not sure if other people have posted any proposals on how to make the leveling system a bit more fair and standardized so I thought I would give my opinions here. I agree with the general sentiment that these changes to the trophy system do not actually address the issues that trophy hunters deal with and in fact exacerbates the quick and easy platinum strategy. I am of the camp that your level should be reflective of skill and dedication rather than just cheap tactics. I thought about how to improve the system and the best proposal I can come up with is to normalize the points based on percent completion. Obviously it is difficult to adjust points based on a theoretical difficulty of how hard a platinum is to earn but one thought is to modify the points based on the percentage of people who have earned that trophy. Under the previous point system:

• Bronze = 15 points
  • Silver = 30 points
  • Gold = 90 points
  • Platinum = 180 points

However if we divide the points by the percentage earned we might be able to standardize it a bit more. For example if we take the bronze trophy in Tetra's escape for World 1, that has a 98% completion rate (I'm using PSN profiles completion rate for this example). If we divide the bronze trophy point value with the completion percentage the adjusted bronze trophy would still be worth 15 points. However, compare that to the bronze trophy in Dark Souls remastered for the Covenant: Way of White trophy which has an 84% completion rate. This trophy would now be worth 18 points. I tried doing this exercise for Dark Souls and Tetra's Escape since both of them come out to exactly 1230 points and the adjusted points based on completion were as follows:

I would love to see some kind of system like this be implemented. This system can also adjust over time so if a trophy becomes more common its point value goes down and vice versa. I think that this system would be a much better way of incentivizing trophy hunters to actually chase after games that are challenging and have the PSN level be far more reflective of skill. Would love to hear your thoughts

Truetrophies does this with their own scoring. It's pretty nice but you can go way up on a new game then it crashes after more people play it. It's nice though.

28 minutes ago, DarthMagnus0605 said:

• Bronze = 15 points
  • Silver = 30 points
  • Gold = 90 points
  • Platinum = 180 points

TA/TT has a similiar system like this, and it's kinda sad that PSNP with its higher userbase doesn't  have something  similiar.

16 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

TA/TT has a similiar system like this, and it's kinda sad that PSNP with its higher userbase doesn't  have something  similiar.

To be fair, it's easier to do more "innovated" things with a smaller userbase. I don't understand any of the numbers TT gives me because it's so specific to the site and I don't care to figure out if my 100,000 points or whatever is actual decent or not. 

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I didn't know that! Wow that would be great if PSNProfiles could at least implement some kind of system like that. I might have to check that website out now.

6 hours ago, BeardedScot86 said:

Have you earned a trophy? Most I have seen updated after getting a new trophy

Some members of my friends list who haven't earned a trophy in weeks have been able to update just fine, in all honesty I think this is a buggy, annoying, frustrating, and not needed piece of shit update. Earning a trophy may or may not solve this issue (no way to know for sure yet), I'd have tried it by now but it's been a busy week. Guess I'll try tomorrow when I have more time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is clearly a motto that Sony doesn't believe in. SMH

The main problem I have with this system is that it's too easy to gain tons of levels early on. A casual gamer with <2,000 trophies can be half the level of someone with 10,000-12,000. The first 300 levels go by too quickly to mean anything.

I suggest

Levels 1-99 require 150 points

100-199 300 points

200-299 600 points

This would also slightly increase the points required for 999

Edited by Sn1per666999

On 8.10.2020 at 1:35 PM, NathanielJohn said:

Sony hasn't released the new trophy level formula or officially announced the new trophy point values, so I thought I'd start a thread with this information. None of this is official -- it's all reverse-engineered by looking at people's profiles.

New trophy point values:

• Bronze: 15
  • Silver: 30
  • Gold: 90
  • Platinum: 300

The only difference above is that platinum trophies are now worth more (300 points instead of 180). The values of bronze, silver, and gold trophies did not change.

New trophy level calculation:

Once again, the trophy level calculation is not a smooth curve, but rather has cut-offs. Here is how it works:

• Levels 1 - 99: 60 points (4 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 100 - 199: 90 points (6 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 200 - 299: 450 points (30 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 300 - 399: 900 points (60 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 400 - 499: 1350 points (90 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 500 - 599: 1800 points (120 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 600 - 699: 2250 points (150 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 700 - 799: 2700 points (180 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 800 - 899: 3150 points (210 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 900 - 999: 3600 points (240 bronzes) per level up

Platinuming a single game gets you to level 23 now. It takes a total of 1631340 points to reach level 999, which equals roughly 1200 full games platinumed.

if 1631340 points are needed for level 999, why are ppl already 999 with less points than that? (for example Ballin404 1548255 points)
Don't get that? What did I miss?

22 minutes ago, RamLem02 said:

if 1631340 points are needed for level 999, why are ppl already 999 with less points than that? (for example Ballin404 1548255 points)
Don't get that? What did I miss?

He has 1548255 points under the old formula, not the new one. Platinums are worth more now, and he has 1680975 points under the new formula.

I’m a little undecided on how I feel about it. I like that platinum trophies are worth more for level ups, but I’ve been working so hard to level up it’s going to be weird jumping from level 21 into the hundreds ??‍♀️ That being said the fact that level 999 is now a platinum icon is something I want to strive for ?

1 minute ago, NathanielJohn said:

He has 1548255 points under the old formula, not the new one. Platinums are worth more now, and he has 1680975 points under the new formula.

ahhhh, thanks....I knew that I missed something :)
Thanks for the calculation, I really love to see that someone is that much into maths :)

Edited by RamLem02