Almost $200 for one single PS5 game.

mvpeast

1 minute ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

When I saw the title of this thread, I laughed so hard. 

Cause of all the annoying people who reply with "get gud" a lot of the time on this site. 

I came in here thinking someone was going to post..

"Get rich"

Yea someone did say that. I love your comment :)

Edited by mvpeast

17 hours ago, mvpeast said:

I don’t know what to say about next gen game prices other than I can’t afford them. I will be playing old games only.

But I am very curious to know what you guys think about the new prices.

160 bucks for AC Valhalla ultimate edition. That’s not including tax. So two games you can buy a next gen console.

https://imgur.com/a/hhU9gxc

Deluxe edition from Ubisoft is always a scam.  I bought the Delux edition of South park.  By the time the DLC released the Deluxe was on sale for $30 I could have just bought the base game and got the DLC later when it finally released and saved money.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mvpeast said:

I don’t know what to say about next gen game prices other than I can’t afford them. I will be playing old games only.

But I am very curious to know what you guys think about the new prices.

160 bucks for AC Valhalla ultimate edition. That’s not including tax. So two games you can buy a next gen console.

https://imgur.com/a/hhU9gxc

That's why I never buy day one and therefore get the Ultimate editions for $20 or less down the road. Most games suck day one now anyway. Bug-filled garbage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mvpeast said:

Games were only for the rich in the past. $200

means nothing to rich people back then/now.

Its the only difference now is that the general public can also play video games. It used to be a form of entertainment only for the rich.

Games are still a luxury now, nothing has changed. They were always intended to be as such in the first place

• Like 3

I think the prices of games are getting ridiculous. What needs to happen is that games play value needs to match their price. I have no knowledge on how anything goes down internally with developers and publishers, but if a completionist run of a game can be done in 10 hours or less it shouldn't sell for more than $40. If it is a game that can be played with constant new free content being released for a year along with a base game that has an average playtime of over 20hrs. I can see it selling for $70 to $100. This would of course entail that the games future content be free.

Companies actually do this stuff. Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima practically released an entire second game for free. As for my point about selling games cheaper when there is less content a lot of remake games like  Spyro Trilogy and Crash Trilogy did this. I doubt the reason why the price is lower is because of the lack of playtime but it is an example of how even big publishers can sell games cheaper at release. 

To summarize my opinion games should sell with promised future free content if it will have a high price point and games that offer too little content should sell for less.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MurdahMace said:

I think the prices of games are getting ridiculous. What needs to happen is that games play value needs to match their price. I have no knowledge on how anything goes down internally with developers and publishers, but if a completionist run of a game can be done in 10 hours or less it shouldn't sell for more than $40. If it is a game that can be played with constant new free content being released for a year along with a base game that has an average playtime of over 20hrs. I can see it selling for $70 to $100. This would of course entail that the games future content be free.

Companies actually do this stuff. Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima practically released an entire second game for free. As for my point about selling games cheaper when there is less content a lot of remake games like  Spyro Trilogy and Crash Trilogy did this. I doubt the reason why the price is lower is because of the lack of playtime but it is an example of how even big publishers can sell games cheaper at release. 

To summarize my opinion games should sell with promised future free content if it will have a high price point and games that offer too little content should sell for less.

You are absolutely right and I agree with you 100%.

4 hours ago, mvpeast said:

Games were only for the rich in the past. $200

means nothing to rich people back then/now.

Its the only difference now is that the general public can also play video games. It used to be a form of entertainment only for the rich.

The Neo Geo was, but the NES and SNES were more reasonably priced and back then consoles typically came with two controllers and a game, not one controller and no games like they do now..  You didn't have a bunch of microtransactions and DLC added as well.  You bought the game and that was it until the next game came out.  The only real issue then was that there was no set price across the board for games until the PS1's gen.  Each game had a set MSRP, but there were also a lot more retailers selling games back then so lots of competition with sales and it was easy to try a game before buying since there were many rental places.

Overall gaming has always been a much cheaper form of entertainment than many things, but games were definitely more expensive in the past.  The Neo Geo is an insane example of one that most couldn't afford, but many households had a NES or SNES and a few games at least.  Most people just didn't buy a lot of games back then, they'd borrow from friends or rent games.  What I was pointing out is that games did indeed use to be a lot more expensive, because back then the physical cartridges were expensive to produce, but development costs were far lower.  Now physical games are cheap to produce, but the development costs of a game are insane and game prices had remained the same for over a decade.

Only an idiot would pay 160 for a game. 70 would be standard, but only those with little care about money or those who care about fashion would pay that. I’ll do what I always do and not be an early adopter, but instead buy it when it’s at a more reasonable price a couple of months later.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 3

I feel like I'm missing something in this thread, Prices seem to have gone up $10 for brand new games, but besides that I'm not seeing the $200 issue. Just get the games you want when they are on sale. AC Odyssey Ult edition was like $120 when it was new, I picked it up for like $30 doing one of it's many sales this year. Based on the screenshot, I'm guessing you have Canada or other regionally store. So maybe blame taxes and other regional currency exchange rates for the different prices..
STGPukd.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DonBrandon98 said:

at least you have good wages , in 3rd wold countries the prices stay the same for months plus the wages are a joke

In many places a minimum wage job doesn't even cover a place to live - for instance, Walmart workers almost always have to go on food stamps as well because they can't afford food otherwise. At this point America may as well be a third world country with a lot of billionaires, and given how quickly the rich are draining the economy of wealth, we'll likely be a real third world country in a decade or two.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

In many places a minimum wage job doesn't even cover a place to live - for instance, Walmart workers almost always have to go on food stamps as well because they can't afford food otherwise. At this point America may as well be a third world country with a lot of billionaires, and given how quickly the rich are draining the economy of wealth, we'll likely be a real third world country in a decade or two.

THIS IS THE TRUTH

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Juzota said:

You do realise that games are made by real people who also need to get paid? But I guess their job and livelihood is not as important than everyone else's.

Are you...seriously trying to imply that developers would be working for free if the retail price of a new release didn't increase $10-$30 (depending on country?)

?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

The world.

Educate the thread? Educate yourself.

ThE wORlD

No, you need to be specific which countries are inflating, how this applies to increasing all market retail prices, and what warrants the base value increasing. Throwing "inflation" at the wall hoping it sticks isn't backed by actual statistics, at least, if you're living in america, as a logical reason to increase retail value that ISNT just companies increasing their bottom line. Especially since I replied to someone who's justification was "developers need to be paid ? "

The US market has decreased since the height of the beginning this year. Groceries, for example, saw an inflation rate of 2.8%, but have since dropped .4% lower than last years average. Oil? Dropped. Clothing? Dropped. The core inflation rate of the country is actually below what was expected, sitting at 1.7% when targeted at 2% for the year. Consumer inflation in 2020 is lower, and slower, than any year in the last 10 years bar 2015 for reference. So again queen of the industry, what exactly is the gaming industry inflating with? Apple just release their cheapest iphone of all time. Televisions are the cheapest they have ever been.

The budgets for games however? More of the same. 100m for TLOU2 charged at 59.99 with a price drop 4 months after shelf life. Fun fact, Dead Space 2, a PS3 game, had a budget of 120m Are you going to tell me Demon Souls is budgeted beyond that, warranting a hiked price? But da poor developers have been workin for free this whole time. wont someone spare them an extra 10-30. ? Lets have a flagship review:

• Dead Space 2 ($120 Million) ...
  • Shadow Of The Tomb Raider ($135 Million) ...
  • Destiny ($140 Million) ...
  • Final Fantasy VII ($145 million) ...
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic ($200 Million) ...
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 ($250 Million) ...
  • Grand Theft Auto 5 ($265 Million)

The average is a joke. Inflation is a joke excuse clown people use. Whether you want to purchase a game at the new retail price is your prerogative, the market will respond accordingly whether you do or not. The general consumer is ultimately the one who will have the final say here, and it could go either way. But nothing is QUITE as comical as "the lil ol developers! they need 2 be paid, they've never been paid before. ? their salawy depends on your additional thiwty dowwas ? make sure u buy 2 years worth of DLC valued at over 100 so they can eat ?"

37 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Inflation... isn't an industry thing, it's a money thing. Money gets less valuable as time goes on. That's inflation. 

Thanks for nothing. Again, what is the industry inflating with? The market already popped this year, and almost everything other than car sales have decreased in price. Most people understand what inflation is, money does lose value over time especially as the wealth gap increases, but the US is not prospering in the market by any means. If the gaming industry was genuinely using inflation as a reason, it would be based off the inorganic hike of 1st quarter 2020, where things have nose-dived since, including consumer electronics. ?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

He could have made the argument that, given how the gaming industry treats its workers, it's unlikely that profit increase would go to them regardless; and that would be a very valid point, but instead he went with... that.

It's included and should be deductive reasoning considering who my original reply was directed at. The new retail value is not going to developers, it is not simply a casualty of inflation (you could certainly argue it is artificial inflation.) I'm not mocking developers, I'm mocking the original poster who implied this was for them. It's like people who get mad at boycotts because "what about the developers" as if they didn't already sign a contract for a set salary.

Edited by kingjavs