Almost $200 for one single PS5 game.

mvpeast

Ubisoft just like EA (we can also add Gearbox to the group now) are known cash grabbers, just look at the number of editions, number of season passes (and prices of season passes) they have for the same game. It's just sad to see we've come to this point.

If you really want one of their game I'd just wait 1-2 years for sales and store clearance.

I'll be sticking with my PS3/PS4 for a while, I've got plenty to do there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Ha. Imagine living in a country where the standard versions of these games cost more than that. Imagine... goes to cry in a corner

But seriously, games on launch here cost 250-300R$ (not Robux or whatever, it's reais). The standard versions. Not wanting to sound like "oh, but you guys aren't allowed to complain because someone else out there has it worse", but it's kinda funny to think about it anyway, lol.

Yeah game prices in Brazil are becoming borderline unaffordable, thankfully physical games are still way cheaper if you know where to look (not even counting used games ofc)

4 hours ago, OpenScars said:

Soooo, I know it's been a few years Heylx, fancy helping with the platinum? For old times sake >.<

Hit me up in a few weeks and we'll mob through it like nobody's business.

im sticking to sales as well. games de value fast. ive bben buying bulk ps3 games for under $5 a piece. when i get finished and pu tthem on my shelf i realize i have over 100+ ps3 disc games, but for ps4 i only have maybe 20. these games are worthless. if i get a hold of a ps5 if they ever decide to finally put them back up for sale i think ill pay full price for one game just because its tradition for me to always have a new game with a new console. ps4 discs are to much for me. while i can afford ps4 and ps5 games i wont do it because i budget my money savings i saved up in a way that i can sit on my ass and not have to work. this means used games and flash sales for me. flash sales are prob the best thing ever invented for gaming. it prob devalues discs, but loooking on my shelf since atari days ive never sold any of my games in my life so the value isnt important

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Okoteiru said:

Ubisoft just like EA (we can also add Gearbox to the group now) are known cash grabbers, just look at the number of editions, number of season passes (and prices of season passes) they have for the same game. It's just sad to see we've come to this point.

If you really want one of their game I'd just wait 1-2 years for sales and store clearance.

I'll be sticking with my PS3/PS4 for a while, I've got plenty to do there.

Pretty much.

Stick to physical people, because it ain't going to last forever.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Good thing I buy games on sale like 99% of the time. There were only 2 games on ps4 I paid full price for. I'll just wait a year after the release of the ps5 to buy one preferably a bit cheaper + games that are on sale at that point. I have more than enough games left on the 4, 3 and vita so I can afford the wait.

• Like 1

A lot of people aren't happy about the price jump, but honestly I'm surprised it took this long. Coincidentally, we have also seen the use of loot boxes and micro transactions explode this currently generation. There's a correlation between the two. $59.99 USD was no longer a viable amount for AAA games, which is why so many are riddled with these season pass cash grabs, skins, boosters, etc. Anything that could be monetized in a way to give an incentive to gamers was done so. Devs could stomach losing the initial up front, because DLC and a trickle of cosmetics and loot boxes could keep the cash flowing. Look at EA and the amount they get from sales like that is absurd. Games as a service live purely off of that, gating your success with tiers and rewards and trinkets, keeping you spending and playing, spending and playing to keep the gameplay loop going. Which is one reason why I tend to shy away from most online or multiplayer games. 

Sure, it's a trend because we voted with our wallets and I assume many will do so this coming gen too, but I might be one of the few who will be willing to fork over the extra 10 bucks if it means I dont have to get all the monetization shoveled down my throat. Spending more on the games means I will hold the next gen games to a higher standard, so if they do not deliver then I will cut down on my game purchasing and focus only on my must haves. 

5 hours ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

In German we call this a "Milchmädchenrechnung". Inflation is one thing, but sales via digital distribution are way more profitable than via retail. Not to mention the higher install base of consoles and gaming PC. It's greed, basically. Open your eyes.

Cool, cool. Except you forgot to mention that with digital, the game can’t break, be stolen or lost. Open YOUR eyes to that convenience. 

9 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Which is one reason why I tend to shy away from most online or multiplayer games.

I invested in the trap that was MMOs. Spent far too much time and money on World of Warcraft to bother saying actual statistics. In short, Blizzard fucked me and other long time veterans over a series of changes to pander to a younger demographic. I just said 'Fuck You' to Blizzard and never turned back.

Today, Activision has control of them. Sales, games becoming more of a service, they're fully in line with that. Instead of forking over the cash for Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I will just wait for a severe price drop. Then again, I might just skip it, because the games just don't captivate me like they used to.

9 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Sure, it's a trend because we voted with our wallets and I assume many will do so this coming gen too, but I might be one of the few who will be willing to fork over the extra 10 bucks if it means I dont have to get all the monetization shoveled down my throat. Spending more on the games means I will hold the next gen games to a higher standard, so if they do not deliver then I will cut down on my game purchasing and focus only on my must haves. 

God of War: Ragnarok is tempting, I'm hoping Sony Santa Monica sticks with the initial game delivery just like they did with God of War 2018. No microtransactions, no lootboxes, no ludicrous Season Pass deals, just the game and the story. For as much as I was disappointed in the game, I commend Sony Santa Monica for doing what they did from a business perspective.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

Wow, four pages of this and no one brought up the Neo Geo where standard editions of games were $200 a pop?  And this was in the US, but back in the 90s when minimum wage was $4.25/hr and a $200 game then would be worth far more now thanks to inflation.  Those games definitely were the most expensive ever to be made and only rich people could afford those and the console.

But seriously, this sort of pricing for a limited/collector's edition isn't that out there.  I still think prices for games since the PS1 came out have been very reasonable, even for new games.  $79.99 wasn't an unusual price for SNES games like Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, etc.  The only difference is that now I don't have to save up for months to be able to afford those.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, I-Reaped-U said:

Cool, cool. Except you forgot to mention that with digital, the game can’t break, be stolen or lost. Open YOUR eyes to that convenience. 

Stupid comment.

So by your logic, I buy a game physical and there is a chance some burglar is going to come break in my house and steal my equipment, including the game I bought. Or I could just have a friend around and he will steal it so he plays the game for himself.

EVERYTHING I play on my Windows 10 is digital. There's no physical games on my system, but wait..... a Windows 10 laptop is STILL PHYSICAL! There is a chance my laptop can break, get stolen somewhere or is lost. I imagine on Black Friday this Holiday Season, there will be some people out there who will try to steal a PlayStation 5, because it will be the hottest new item on the market. Don't believe me? They did it in the past with Xbox 360s and PS4 consoles. Your console is stolen, all the games you obtained digitally and installed on your hard drive are taken away as well. At least you can sign back in your account and redownload the games you have digital, so that is one real positive.

What about possible faulty hardware? I can't see that happening as hardware as drastically improved over the past 20 years.... but still.

You still need a physical platform and console to play your games digital. These platforms can break, because technology is infallible. I've seen it first hand with Xbox 360, and again, I will say this is a very unlikely possibility with next gen consoles, but it CAN happen.

I have a lot that is digital, but you're acting like there is no real downside to digital, which I can tell you from experience, there is a real downside. Read up on subscription services and digital rights management.

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

Wow, four pages of this and no one brought up the Neo Geo where standard editions of games were $200 a pop?  And this was in the US, but back in the 90s when minimum wage was $4.25/hr and a $200 game then would be worth far more now thanks to inflation.  Those games definitely were the most expensive ever to be made and only rich people could afford those and the console.

But seriously, this sort of pricing for a limited/collector's edition isn't that out there.  I still think prices for games since the PS1 came out have been very reasonable, even for new games.  $79.99 wasn't an unusual price for SNES games like Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, etc.  The only difference is that now I don't have to save up for months to be able to afford those.

That $200 for a 1990 Neo-Geo game would be $398 in today's money. The console was $600 ($1195 in 2020). SNK's selling point was playing the arcade game at home with no audio/visual compromises. They followed it with a CD system which got the game prices down to $60... but the loading times are hellacious. And in some cases, the CD versions of Neo games aren't perfect. On NGCD, Art of Fighting 3 has smaller character sprites and Last Blade loses some animation frames.

NG home carts have insanely appreciated in value. NG-DEV's Razion was a bit over $500 when I bought it a few years ago... and now I've seen someone reselling it for over $2000. I'd like to see NG-DEV bring this out on PSN on Vita and PS4 like they did with Fast Striker. A lot of SNK's own carts for the home console have either held their value or are now worth thousands. Blazing Star on home cart is $5000 (and $8 on PSN).

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

This was my main argument when people were arguing over the PS5 vs Xbox prices and deciding they will go with the console that's $50 cheaper (before the final prices were announced). I thought it was ridiculous reasoning to decided on the console when two or three games will be more expensive the than console itself.

Prices in poland - Assassin's Creed Valhalla

standard ps4 - $62,07 / £47,60 / 52,29

standard ps5 - $64,67 / £49,60 / 54,48

gold ps4 - $93,24 / £71,51 / €78,55

ultimate ps4 - $108,83 / £83,46 / €91,68

all physical with tax, free upgrade from ps4 to ps5

$1 / £1 / 1 - 3,85zl / 5,02zl / 4,57zl

Edited by ZoKu08

52 minutes ago, AngelZafina said:

I dont know  what is Worse the Goverments Complete Failure or Sony 

Government by far. At least with Sony I can just pack up my bags and leave should I decide to do so.

The government, at least where I'm from has made colossal fuck ups going back decades ago. And they're going to have to get worse before they get better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darkrequiem7 said:

Even though I could afford them, I'm not going to. Until Sony starts moving back into a direction I can appreciate I'll just be sticking with my PS3 and PS4. There's plenty of games I haven't played yet or can revisit before I make a decision about next gen consoles.

This is the advantage of being so late to the party in my case. I’ve only been on PlayStation for 2.5 years, so I’m constantly playing catch up and playing old classics I never got a chance to play before. Because of this, I don’t think I’ve ever once bought a brand new PS4 game on release.

I mean, what’s the point? A brand new PS4 game costs $80-90 CAD. And they devalue quickly from there. Instead I buy all my PS4 games on sale digitally, and keep my eyes open for great deals on used physical copies. I regularly pick up older PS4 games off sites like Craigslist for $5-10 a pop, and every couple months I’ll pick up 20 or 30 old PS3 discs for less than $5 each.

I think at the moment my PS3/PS4 collection numbers around 300 total games. I have no idea how much money I’ve said but it’s certainly been thousands and thousands of dollars. I won’t be changing this practice at all for PS5, except for maybe the occasional exception for a game like Elden Ring.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mvpeast said:

I don’t know what to say about next gen game prices other than I can’t afford them. I will be playing old games only.

But I am very curious to know what you guys think about the new prices.

160 bucks for AC Valhalla ultimate edition. That’s not including tax. So two games you can buy a next gen console.

https://imgur.com/a/hhU9gxc

Bro that comes with like, a statue and shit. That’s not the price of “the game”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

God of War: Ragnarok is tempting, I'm hoping Sony Santa Monica sticks with the initial game delivery just like they did with God of War 2018. No microtransactions, no lootboxes, no ludicrous Season Pass deals, just the game and the story. For as much as I was disappointed in the game, I commend Sony Santa Monica for doing what they did from a business perspective.

I agree..and that's exactly my point. Those PS exclusives have been quality games, and they haven't been filled to the brim with crap like microtransations and another exploitative garbage to siphon money from gamers. Games like Destiny, which have just cosmetic stuff, still ropes people in because people feel the need to get these limited items and their look be fresh and up to date with the latest in-game, and people fork over money for it. 

I'll give you an example of a game that had stuff like that though. Persona 5. Not microtransactions per say, but the sheer amount of DLC with costumes and personas. The Personas could make a solid 30ish hours or more of combat trivial. The costumes are unnecessary. But I purchased them anyways, because after playing P4G, I knew the quality of product Atlus was giving me so I was ok with spending more to support the game and the devs. And I did so again when I bought Royal, and will do so again when Scramble comes to the west. I support the devs I know bring we quality products with my wallet, and others wait for sales. 

If an extra 10 dollars for Persona 6 in the future means the people involved with that game will be compensated properly, have a less stressful budget so therefore work in less stressful conditions just to put out a game, and can focus on making it a quality product instead of some half ass thing and slap transactions in it like the debacle with Battlefront, then I'm OK with that. People act like everything hasn't gone up in price, and the price of games has stagnated for so long, it's given a rise to all these practices that are there to make sure the devs can easily recoup their investment. 

People will either buy or they won't. I choose to buy where I  believe my money will make the most impact. Companies like Square and Atlus who make some of the games I enjoy the most, I dont mind spending more for special editions and trinkets and whatnot. Those companies have given me hundreds and hundreds of hours of entertainment so to me, an extra 10 dollars for a game isn't that serious. It's long overdue honestly, and I think alot of people don't realize that...you can't complain about microtransactions and the shady dlc practices and complain about the game price increase. The lack of the latter essentially led to the creation of the former, but its far gone enough to where I don't see microtransactions going away at all. 

Just be responsible consumers, and buy what you think is good value to you.

I can afford PS5 games, I just don't really feel like paying full price for them. I bailed on my Cold War pre order for 2 reasons. 

1st being, I'm not excited for a COD game with Zombies. 

2nd being, it's 101 dollars for standard edition, and we all know Activision will keep dropping content at insane prices for DLC. One just has to look at dlc prices for their PS3 titles to realize that 100 game then turns into 250 with dlc, or at the very least 150 for a season pass.

As others have said, I'll wait for sales. Doesn't help Devs really, as they rely on launch sales, but prices vs economic instability aren't on par.