PS3 Game/DLC Sales

JoocyMan

5 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

Are these a thing anymore? Seems like after the store rework and Sony quietly forgetting about PS3 and Vita, sales don't happen anymore. Sorry if it's been answered, but I couldn't find anything.

No, they're not a thing any more. And I don't think it was anything quiet. Sony loudly announced PS3 and Vita titles would be kicked off the PC, PS4, and PS5 stores. They blasted emails and posted it on their website.

1 minute ago, JoocyMan said:

Are these a thing anymore? Seems like after the store rework and Sony quietly forgetting about PS3 and Vita, sales don't happen anymore. Sorry if it's been answered, but I couldn't find anything.

On PS3 They still happen, but rarely, and not proper sales. Usually, it's only for a few games. This is a shame because I think if they sold games on sale for like 5 bucks or full game bundles with all DLC, they'd be able to still make money off of them and give people a good reason to purchase PS3 titles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

I think if they sold games on sale for like 5 bucks or full game bundles with all DLC, they'd be able to still make money off of them and give people a good reason to purchase PS3 titles.

Now that so many people have taken to the digital distribution video game lifestyle, there's no incentive for them to have sales for anything so old. People had this long to decide that they weren't going to purchase whatever PS3 title or DLC you want to use for this analogy. It costs them nothing for Sony to keep the store servers running and dish out an occasional digital key to someone who purchases such old titles. There is no inventory to clear to reduce warehousing costs.

In reality, they can sit back and the occasional purchase provides quite a large profit margin versus cutting their prices (and profit margins) temporarily in some kind of service to the cheapskates who can and will never be satisfied. They make one final sale and the next week another group of cheapskates will cry out they missed it and now they think it's another good idea to have a final, final, final sale for them. And the cycle continues. 

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

from what I saw awhile back from a dev on reddit, they don't allow sales on strictly ps3 and vita games anymore. cross-buy items are ok

One of the devs here said they can temporarily reduce the price on their Vita titles if they choose to. Sony will just not promote it as part of any sale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carol said:

I just wish Sony had warned us when the last big PS3/Vita sale happened that it was going to be the last. :(

You might be giving Sony too much credit for having planned anything ahead of time. 

I can only imagine how the social media mob would have reacted if Sony announced the "last" PS3 or Vita sale.

4 minutes ago, Carol said:

I just wish Sony had warned us when the last big PS3/Vita sale happened that it was going to be the last. :(

I'd been putting off certain purchases even when they went on sale because "This is just going into the backlog anyways, so I might as well wait until it's even older/cheaper!"

Big whoops :c

21 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You might be giving Sony too much credit for having planned anything ahead of time. 

I can only imagine how the social media mob would have reacted if Sony announced the "last" PS3 or Vita sale.

People are weird, if that’s the case. I would have preferred an announcement, than the sales ending abruptly, like it happened.

16 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

I've bought Jak and Daxter bundle on sale in March last year, that was during the very last sale I saw on PS3.

I wouldn't call that a PS3 sale. Long time since the PS3 got an actual sale with multiple games. December 2018 to be specific. 

It does suck when a PS4/Vita is on sale because unless it is cross buy, it might not even by on sale for Vita at sale price but it is on PS4, so you might have to buy it full price on Vita or not at all since the game is crossplay but not crossbuy.

However, I have noticed on occassion though games are actually on sale, but they are listed as their sale price as if it was not on sale.

For example if you look at multiplatform Metal Slug 3, it is on sale right now, something crazy like 80% off but if you look at PS4 and Vita stores separately, PS4 is listed as sale, but Vita is displayed at sale price but is not mentioned as being in a sale. I noticed this last year with Octodad, it was super cheap, and then next day I went to buy it and it was not cheap anymore, yet the store did not show whether it was on sale or not.

But yeah there were a fair few games on sale that I decided I would buy one day since sales were so frequent a few years ago.

Instead I bought the PS4 games on sale instead (which I still have not got around to playing)

On the bright side, in all honesty Sony has been fairly kind to Vita over the past 10 years. Imagine if you bought a Google Stadia, launched in November 2019 and Google already seems to be winding it up, abandoning it.