Question for someone who suffers from arachnophobia

Sylvanticore

Greetings all

So this may come off as sounding really dumb in a way but I wanted to ask this since I plan on going back to try for the platinum of this at some point. I've seen videos and highlights  for this game and it involves rather large spiders, I already know and have met the npc that looks like one but I wanted to ask if you actually have to face these things at any point if you're actually going for the platinum or are they just in a side area that you don't really need to go to.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

Greetings all

So this may come off as sounding really dumb in a way but I wanted to ask this since I plan on going back to try for the platinum of this at some point. I've seen videos and highlights  for this game and it involves rather large spiders, I already know and have met the npc that looks like one but I wanted to ask if you actually have to face these things at any point if you're actually going for the platinum or are they just in a side area that you don't really need to go to.

Thanks in advance.

There's a spider boss called Rom you have to beat, and they spawn smaller spiders throughout the fight. There's also the nightmare apostle spiders that show up in required areas for the platinum(nightmare of mensis)

• Like 3

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

There's a spider boss called Rom you have to beat, and they spawn smaller spiders throughout the fight. There's also the nightmare apostle spiders that show up in required areas for the platinum(nightmare of mensis)

Thank you for the reply, I knew about Rom as I have faced him, the spiders around him didn't seem to affect me as much as I thought they would but it would appear that it's the nightmare apostie ones that I am thinking about.. damn I was hoping to avoid them but I gues that can't be helped :( Thank you again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sylvanticore said:

Thank you for the reply, I knew about Rom as I have faced him, the spiders around him didn't seem to affect me as much as I thought they would but it would appear that it's the nightmare apostie ones that I am thinking about.. damn I was hoping to avoid them but I gues that can't be helped :( Thank you again

IIRC they also appear in the chalice dungeons, and those are required for the plat as well to fight the queen

• Like 3

When you enter micolashs nightmare (area with big tower where you get hit by invisible brain beams constantly) the first building you enter is filled with actual big ass spiders that will most likely trigger your phobia.

There is nothing important in there i believe so if you just keep running you dont have to fight a single one.

Edited by monteblommie
  • Like 1

Haha this made me laugh because I’m arachnophobic as well. Not to the point where I’ll avoid facing them in games, but enough that it makes me uncomfortable. But of course, these types of games are always filled with huge, hairy, disgusting spiders that love to ambush you.

I just finished Metro 2033 recently and there’s like these huge spiders on webs in just about every tunnel. And I legit got shivers down my spine watching Khan walking through the webs like it wasn’t shit, with these huge fucking spiders touching his head and face. ? 

• Like 1

I suffer from arachnophobia too, and I can assure you, the game is safe, there are three istances where you  meet spider-like things, one is a NPC you can ignore for the platinum, one is Rom, who's not exactly like a spider, but the underlings it summons are spider-like,  but you'll probably be more focused on the rage inducing fight to get psyched, and, finally Amygdala, not a spider per say, but the many hands it has could evoke the feeling of a spider.

Edit: forgot about the nightmare apostle, and did a quick google search, ugh, the fact that I didn't  remember means they played a very minor role in my Bloodborne's runs, make sure you kill the bell ringing woman in the chalices, as she summons them.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Haha this made me laugh because I’m arachnophobic as well. Not to the point where I’ll avoid facing them in games, but enough that it makes me uncomfortable. But of course, these types of games are always filled with huge, hairy, disgusting spiders that love to ambush you.

I just finished Metro 2033 recently and there’s like these huge spiders on webs in just about every tunnel. And I legit got shivers down my spine watching Khan walking through the webs like it wasn’t shit, with these huge fucking spiders touching his head and face. 1f602.png 

Oh there are some games where if I see a spider in it I freeze up and run the hell away, the name a few, Conan Exiles.. yes because who doesn't loVe FUCKING GIANT REALISITIC SPIDERS.., EDF Iron Rain which I played on PC with some friends, the spiders in the other games were a pain if got too close but didn't bother me too much but Iron Rain devs decided to make them too realisitc and have them make smaller babies that make horrible sounds, had to leave the room when playing that. Oh and Skyrim can **** right off..

15 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

The Nightmare spiders are very VERY terrifying imo BUT you can take a detour and pretty much not even wake them up for the most part so you can brush those to the side. 

10 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I suffer from arachnophobia too, and I can assure you, the game is safe, there are three istances where you  meet spider-like things, one is a NPC you can ignore for the platinum, one is Rom, who's not exactly like a spider, but the underlings it summons are spider-like,  but you'll probably be more focused on the rage inducing fight to get psyched, and, finally Amygdala, not a spider per say, but the many hands it has could evoke the feeling of a spider.

Thanks for mentioning that but as someone said if I want to Platinum the game I will need to face them at some point.

Thanks for all the responses, not going to look forward to facing those eight legged buggers when I get round to it but I guess I'm gonna have to try my best.. or summon people! That might work..

Edited by Sylvanticore

I suffer from this too and the ones found within the Nightmare are by far the most terrifying I have ever experienced in any game, even worse than the ones in Conan.

Thankfully, as already mentioned, there aren’t that many and you can mostly just skip them. And if Patches/Rom’s minions didn’t frighten you then you might be alright.

Beware that there is an absolutely massive bugger that dangles from the ceiling and drops down as you run underneath, chasing after you at an extreme speed. If it’s behind you and catches up then it will suddenly appear on your screen without you seeing it beforehand, which is absolutely horrifying. So make sure you’re squinting when you leg it through this part lol. 

For the ones found within the Chalice dungeons I recommend just turning off the in-game sound and listening to music instead. These guys can appear randomly without warning and so might jump scare you, but without any sound it’s barely scary in the slightest.

Music is also doubly effective because the dungeons are boring as hell and it helps you slog through the grind. Tbh I recommend just temporarily muting the game whenever you see a spider in the Nightmare too. 

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

Oh there are some games where if I see a spider in it I freeze up and run the hell away, the name a few, Conan Exiles.. yes because who doesn't loVe FUCKING GIANT REALISITIC SPIDERS.., EDF Iron Rain which I played on PC with some friends, the spiders in the other games were a pain if got too close but didn't bother me too much but Iron Rain devs decided to make them too realisitc and have them make smaller babies that make horrible sounds, had to leave the room when playing that. Oh and Skyrim can **** right off..

Thanks for mentioning that but as someone said if I want to Platinum the game I will need to face them at some point.

Thanks for all the responses, not going to look forward to facing those eight legged buggers when I get round to it but I guess I'm gonna have to try my best.. or summon people! That might work..

oh shit, forgot about the them being in the chalice dungeons. oof

• Like 1

You could probably set up a boosting session and summon 2 coop partners into some of the chalice dungeons and the 3 of you go around together, and then if a spider comes along, hold back and let your coop partners let rip. There's lots of nice people playing Bloodborne all the time.

• Like 1

As a kind of slightly off topic, I used to be scared of Spiders but now I'm not. Arachnophobia is kinda, overrated.

Daddy Long Legs/Crane flies on the other hand! Now that's terrifying!!

Maybe it's a psychological thing, but things like Spiders and Cockroaches, sure I don't want to touch them and I still don't like them at all. But they're kinda grounded creatures and they'll generally scuttle away and hide somewhere.

Daddy Long Legs on the other hand, I mean it looks like a spider when it had landed, but it's also got wings.

It's a FLYING spider!!!!

and they're a bit stupid too so they'll often fly in your general direction or go near your face and their legs spinning around all over the place like some giant evil shuriken ball of evil.

And they'll torment you by bashing their head and bobbling around all over the place at your kitchen window and back door like a zombie scratching at your window to try and get in, and then before you know it, somehow it get into your house through an open window somewhere.

Arachnophobia feels a bit like easy mode to me now, my fear of flying spiders seemed to cure my arachnophobia.

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

As a kind of slightly off topic, I used to be scared of Spiders but now I'm not. Arachnophobia is kinda, overrated.

Daddy Long Legs/Crane flies on the other hand! Now that's terrifying!!

Maybe it's a psychological thing, but things like Spiders and Cockroaches, sure I don't want to touch them and I still don't like them at all. But they're kinda grounded creatures and they'll generally scuttle away and hide somewhere.

Daddy Long Legs on the other hand, I mean it looks like a spider when it had landed, but it's also got wings.

It's a FLYING spider!!!!

and they're a bit stupid too so they'll often fly in your general direction or go near your face and their legs spinning around all over the place like some giant evil shuriken ball of evil.

And they'll torment you by bashing their head and bobbling around all over the place at your kitchen window and back door like a zombie scratching at your window to try and get in, and then before you know it, somehow it get into your house through an open window somewhere.

Arachnophobia feels a bit like easy mode to me now, my fear of flying spiders seemed to cure my arachnophobia.

wow that is not the same daddy long legs I was thinking. Guess that is a nickname for a crane fly. Daddy long legs are actual grounded spiders so I was so confused

• Like 1

I have arachnophobia as well. Honestly there is stills games that will trigger it (looking at you Shelob from LOTR The Three Kings).

But I usually use the adrenaline I get from it to kinda sweep through quickly myself. The hardest time I have though with them is VR or scenes where you get grabbed or caught in webs kinda thing in games. It's like a sensory thing and just makes my skin crawl and feel like they're actually on me. (Use to have night terrors into sleep paralysis of thousands of them covering me and biting me at once growing up.)

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

things like Spiders and Cockroaches, sure I don't want to touch them and I still don't like them at all. But they're kinda grounded creatures

Everyone's a thug until the roach starts flying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Bruh, if you play online chances are someone might carry you through so you don't have to fight the spiders! Though if you don't have that option then, well...I got nothing! I just thought it might opt as an alternative! ?

14 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Like others have said, you'll run into a big room of them in Mensis but you can easily run passed them in a few seconds. Besides Rom (Which is more sluggy, but obviously has smaller spiders), I can't think of a spider you're forced to kill/fight for the plat.

11 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Everyone's a thug until the roach starts flying.

I guess spiders and roaches separate the men from the boys ?

Just kidding tho, I am slightly arachnophobic myself, but it has gotten better over the years. Even at its worst tho, I can't say I've ever had issues with spiders from games bothering me. That has to make it difficult for those people because devs love sticking nasty-ass spiders in their games!