Video game series you'd like to see return

Glorious Fury

After finishing the Shenmue 3 plat recently, it was a game I honestly felt would never get made. I played the original back on Dreamcast when I was very young and it was one of the first games I ever played (not that I really knew what I was doing, but had lots of fun running around playing the arcades haha). I never expected a sequel to Shenmue 2, but with crowdfunding and the cult fanbase I guess that all changed. Shenmue 4 may or may not happen, but the possibility is much stronger now than before Shenmue 3. 

So....what would be a game series you'd like to return or get a retelling/sequel? Literally can be anything from the NES to the PS2 to Xbox One, even if it's totally fantasy and stands the smallest chance of being created....you get the idea!

I'll list a few of my personal choices:

Virtua Fighter - As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a Sega fanboy, obviously loving Shenmue and the Yu Suzuki link I'd love another VF to be made. Always felt it was more or less on par with Tekken, and would be another viable alternative to 3D fighters. I know that a trailer was released a little while ago for something to do with e-sports, but can't see that leading to a sequel right now. 

Garou: MOTW - Of course King of Fighters is still going strong and the universes are linked, but I'd love a sequel to this. Loved the art style, gameplay, soundtrack.   

Shinobi - With Streets of Rage coming back, I'd love for this to be remade. Felt it was the best game on the Mega Drive (Genesis) and was a blast to play. Dotemu who did SOR 4, could do stellar work on this and a host of other franchises like Golden Axe etc. 

Lost Odyssey - A really underrated JRPG. Gameplay was more traditional like a PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasy, but personally love that style of game. Shame it was Xbox only.

Wrestling game with the No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 engine - Whilst this isn't a sequel of a series, I'd love a wrestling game with the Aki Corp engine in the modern day. It's the pinnacle of wrestling games imo and the most fun. 2K wrestling games are lacklustre. 

LMA Manager - Probably not a popular choice here but loved these games. Football management games were great on console, but now they are only really on PC with Football Manager dominating the genre. Codemasters recently got brought by EA, so the chances are slim to none but still, I'd love a new version.

Anyways, give me your thoughts!

Dino Crisis - either an all-new game, or a ground-up remake of the first 2 games.  Or both. :D

Tenchu - really disappointing that this series barely made it past the PS2 era.  Tenchu is probably my most-desired "needs to return" series.

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3 was great fun.  I believe there was talk of a new game a few years ago. but it obviously didn't happen.

A Bulletstorm sequel would be good fun.

A Mini Ninjas sequel would also be cool.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I've probably said this a dozen times by now, but Capcom's Maximo. The series was essentially a 3D spiritual successor to Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Heck, I'll even settle for remasters.

I never knew of this series or that GnG had a modern game in the 3D style, looks great to be fair.

25 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Dino Crisis - either an all-new game, or a ground-up remake of the first 2 games.  Or both. :D

Tenchu - really disappointing that this series barely made it past the PS2 era.  Tenchu is probably my most-desired "needs to return" series.

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3 was great fun.  I believe there was talk of a new game a few years ago. but it obviously didn't happen.

A Bulletstorm sequel would be good fun.

A Mini Ninjas sequel would also be cool.

Forgot about Dino Crisis, would have made my original post! Would love Capcom to revisit it as they have with RE. Tenchu another series I'd love to return too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Lost Odyssey - A really underrated JRPG. Gameplay was more traditional like a PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasy, but personally love that style of game. Shame it was Xbox only.

Did you know that game was actually made by the creators of the early Final Fantasy games?  Sadly I think the studio they made went out of business but that is definitely why Lost Odyssey felt far more like a FF game than recent FF games have.  FFX was the last game in the series the original team had any part in.  Definitely loved Lost Odyssey though and it's a shame it didn't even get ported to PC.  I don't think Lost Odyssey needed a sequel, but I'd not have minded seeing more from them.  I'm aware of Blue Dragon and Last Story, but Lost Odyssey was definitely their best work.

My own choices would be the following:

Suikoden

Arc the Lad

Shadow Hearts

Xenosaga

Golden Sun (even if it's a Nintendo only IP)

10 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Did you know that game was actually made by the creators of the early Final Fantasy games?  Sadly I think the studio they made went out of business but that is definitely why Lost Odyssey felt far more like a FF game than recent FF games have.  FFX was the last game in the series the original team had any part in.  Definitely loved Lost Odyssey though and it's a shame it didn't even get ported to PC.  I don't think Lost Odyssey needed a sequel, but I'd not have minded seeing more from them.  I'm aware of Blue Dragon and Last Story, but Lost Odyssey was definitely their best work.

I did not know, it makes alot of sense to why I enjoyed it alot. I knew Nobou Uematsu was involved with the soundtrack, but had no idea it was a number of the original FF teams members involved. I'm also surprised it never got a steam port or anything similar in following years. 

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

My own choices would be the following:

Suikoden

Arc the Lad

Shadow Hearts

Xenosaga

Golden Sun (even if it's a Nintendo only IP)

Mistwalker is still in business, they just do mobile games now.

My pick would be Duke Nukem

1 hour ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I did not know, it makes alot of sense to why I enjoyed it alot. I knew Nobou Uematsu was involved with the soundtrack, but had no idea it was a number of the original FF teams members involved. I'm also surprised it never got a steam port or anything similar in following years. 

Probably because Microsoft funded the development

51 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Mistwalker is still in business, they just do mobile games now.

Probably because Microsoft funded the development

Yeah,. I checked that later, but definitely hasn't made further games for console and mobile games does imply they may be having trouble.

But as far as Microsoft funding development, that doesn't really stop a game from ending up on Steam.  Some of their first party IPs have made it to Steam like Halo and Forza.  It's also surprising Lost Odyssey wasn't on Games for Windows Live back in the day, and most those games eventually were available on Steam.  Xbox 360 was a very easy system to port to PC from because the Xbox consoles run off a Windows based OS so the programming is very similar. That's why it's rather shocking because one would think that Microsoft would want to have a shot at some more sales on PC for a port that wouldn't be extremely difficult to pull off.

Ecco the Dolphin
Lost Kingdoms
Baten Kaitos
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
F-Zero
Earthbound
Golden Sun
Spyro- would like to see a new game as well
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-Would like to see a new game anyway

Would have said Zoids, but we did just get a new game recently on Switch, but not really what I had in mind though.

• Like 1

Somebody, somewhere should do something with Lost Odyssey. Don't these people read the internet? People freaking love that game. Every time I talk to two or more people in a group about games we want remastered somebody brings it up. I'd play it, it was one of my favorite rpgs of that generation.

5 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Surprised that nobody has said Resistance yet, so I'll say it.

Yeah!

I'll second that - Resistance 3 was actually a great game - a bit overlooked, but a hell of a fun time, especially in couch co-op!

That Vita game was good too!

F.E.A.R. trilogy - remastered

Crysis - one that takes place at the same time as Crysis 3, just in another area beside New York or Lingshan. Make it a little longer than C3 is though.

Final Fight - FF4 with HD 2D visuals like Streets of Rage 4. Not another Streetwise.

CoD Black Ops series - remasters of 1, 2, and World at War's single player campaigns. I don't care about MP... they can sell the MP content as a separate DLC.

Xanadu Next - A remaster of the first, and a sequel. Tokyo Xanadu is good, but it's a different series.

Advance Wars - I would literally buy a Nintendo console just for this. (Fellow AW fans, check out Tiny Metal, it's on PS4 and from some devs of AW, although it lacks CO powers and such.)

Bulletstorm. Absolutely loved the first.

Unreal Tournament - I grew up on UT99 and UT2004, those were some of the best FPS games I ever played. The vibrant modding scene, the fast paced gameplay; what a fantastic series. It's a shame the newest UT is essentially shitcanned at this point.

Not exactly a series, but I wish Planet Moon hadn't dissolved, or at the very least that someone would make games in their spirit. Armed & Dangerous was my childhood, and I later played Giants: Citizen Kabuto which was an incredibly innovative game.

19 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Advance Wars - I would literally buy a Nintendo console just for this. (Fellow AW fans, check out Tiny Metal, it's on PS4 and from some devs of AW, although it lacks CO powers and such.)

I’ve heard the name ‘Advance Wars’ a lot of times over the years, and folks seem to looooove them - what exactly is the big draw?

Can you sell me on them? I don’t know much about them, and (not to be weird) but I trust you a little more than the average random on t’internet ?

• Like 1

Ninja Gaiden - Hoping for a fourth game after NG3. Loved playing Sigma on the PS3 and the Sigma plus games on the Vita too, going to get the Master Collection to show support for the series. 

Zone of the Enders - Since Kojima was more of a supervisor when it came to ZOE, I can see a possibility of a third game without him. It's just given how Konami is the way it is, they'll most likely screw it up somehow. Still loved playing the 2nd game on PS4.

Parasite Eve - While the first two games were decent RPGs (but felt more like survival horror games like RE), I'd love for Square Enix to either take a shot to remake the first game while keeping the spooky atmosphere and actually making it more than 10 hours long or making a sequel to Parasite Eve II.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’ve heard the name ‘Advance Wars’ a lot of times over the years, and folks seem to looooove them - what exactly is the big draw?

Can you sell me on them? I don’t know much about them, and (not to be weird) but I trust you a little more than the average random on t’internet 1f602.png

They're cute handheld turn based strategy games with great music and nice graphics. I can't speak for the older ones that well, but the first DS one distinguished itself with a ton of commanding officers (basically characters that determine the stats and special abilities of your army) as well as 'tag powers', wherein you could take two turns in a row, one with both commanding officers, with pretty badass powers. then the second one actually had a pretty decent post-apocalyptic story. They're kinda like the cute, lite version of turn based strategy. (Well, the post-apocalyptic reboot is a bit less cute, but I digress.)

Unfortunately the devs stopped working on the series in favor of Fire Emblem, which seems to be their cash cow.

• Like 1

Just now, Darling Baphomet said:

They're cute handheld turn based strategy games with great music and nice graphics. I can't speak for the older ones that well, but the first DS one distinguished itself with a ton of commanding officers (basically characters that determine the stats and special abilities of your army) as well as 'tag powers', wherein you could take two turns in a row, one with both commanding officers, with pretty badass powers. then the second one actually had a pretty decent post-apocalyptic story. They're kinda like the cute, lite version of turn based strategy. (Well, the post-apocalyptic reboot is a bit less cute, but I digress.)

Unfortunately the devs stopped working on the series in favor of Fire Emblem, which seems to be their cash cow.

Oh, it's the Fire Emblem folks - okay, cool good shout ?

I dust off my DSi every now and then - mostly when I go offshore or overseas with work, so always looking for games to take to pass some time

• Like 1