Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

29 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Yea I've been a PS3 collector for a while now and seen this happen a lot, just be patient and prices will go down, or just keep checking eBay, Amazon etc, always someone that doesn't know the value of what they have. I remember when Yakuza 3-4 were in demand and were selling for £40/50, now they are down to £6. 

There are thankfully alternatives so you don't need to shop around on eBay or Amazon whether you're buying or selling.

41 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It was around $20 - 35 a few years back which was already expensive for a so so AA production title. X-Men Origins: Wolverine already shot up in price too. Duke Nukem Forever, another mediocre title will have its price increase as well. 

Wolverine was comparatively expensive even 4 years ago when I bought it. The uncaged edition cost me like 30 bucks afair.

20 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

How Sony has changed is pretty comparable with that of EA and Activision.

It’s probably safe to say you’re one of the older people on these forums. Being around the block doesn’t even describe it. Older people are generally harder to please especially when it comes to new games. 

I find myself somewhere in the middle. Not as young as some of the early 20 something year olds who already shelled out money for a PS5, but not quite old enough to be a grizzled veteran as the guys in their 40s who are sort of hanging in the balance at this point. I tend to cling more to the older guys. The kids today... especially those still in high school and college, I can’t relate to them at all, especially when it comes to gaming. 

The kids can have their fun with Fortnite, but I’m done with multiplayer heavy MMOs and MOBAs. It’s funny, I was starting trophy hunting when I said my goodbyes to MMOs, one in particular that went down the shitter after an American investment company bought it. Now Sony is going downhill for the same reasons, it got greedy and shifted its focus entirely on something else. 

Should Sony announce they will cut off online integration for the PS3 and Vita, I will officially quit trophy hunting. There’s only so much I can tolerate before I’ve had enough.

A lot to unpack there mate. OK so firstly, to me age is just a number. I'm probably extremely lucky but I probably look about 27. I'm extremely fit, I work out and I hike 8-10 miles a day most days.

When I was 35 I went to Seville to meet a Spanish girl who I had been chatting to on Skype for about a year. I went to a bar on my own one night and met a girl who had just graduated from Cambridge University. She was 22. She was hitting on me (I wasn't interested because she wasn't my priority) and she asked me how old I was. I said "Guess?". She said 21. So at 35 a 22 year old thinks I'm younger than her. I fucking love my genetics dude. ☺️

Older people are generally harder to please especially when it comes to new games. 

This is like truth or dare at this point. ?

The truth is this. I started playing games properly in 1988 on the Amiga 500. I did very well at school and my first priority was sport, so I would come home from school and generally play soccer for a couple of hours, do my homework, eat dinner and then play some games instead of watching TV until it was bedtime. Pretty healthy. Also, we played games as a family, which was cool.

Older people are generally harder to please especially when it comes to new games. 

My roots are text adventures, point and click games, arcade ports, RPGs, shoot-em-ups, sports games, puzzle games, "action" games, and flight sims. What I loved about the Amiga was the fact that amazing, literally genre-defining games were coming out every MONTH. The diversity of games I played on the Amiga was astonishing, so I think to say that older players don't have an appreciation for new games is the wrong way round. Younger gamers are playing (and obsessed with) generic clones of successful formulas, hence the Battle Royale trend, the looter-shooter trend, the sports franchise trend, etc.

To demonstrate the level to which my gaming habits of changed of late, look at my profile. My favorite type of game is open world/open sandbox RPGs (as evidenced by my trophy cabinet, which probably contains most of my favourite games of all time). I've diversified my range into games that I have zero interest in but have made the effort to try. The elitists on this site will piss all over many indie publishers but I've bought a lot of their games and to be honest, with a few exceptions, I don't think I've played a bad game. 

My opinion of indie games a couple of years ago was that they were shit and had graphics that were worse than the Amiga 500 but by opening my mind, I now completely disagree with that sentiment.  

I mean, the AVERAGE age of serious gamers is now 37. That gives quite a lot of leeway in either direction. I should also not that it was 36 not too long ago and this may even be wrong now (it probably is, people age about one year per annum ? ).

Just now, aishsha said:

Wolverine was comparatively expensive even 4 years ago when I bought it. The uncaged edition cost me like 30 bucks afair.

Part of that may be that Wolverine, like Spider-Man, is part of the Marvel brand. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, regardless of whether you play the PS4 or PS5 version is about $50, which I feel has a lot to do with the Marvel brand and because of the fact that Spider-Man is the most celebrated of all the Marvel superheroes.

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Part of that may be that Wolverine, like Spider-Man, is part of the Marvel brand. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, regardless of whether you play the PS4 or PS5 version is about $50, which I feel has a lot to do with the Marvel brand and because of the fact that Spider-Man is the most celebrated of all the Marvel superheroes.

I'm pretty sure that's also because they had quite limited batches. I remember Captain America was also rather costly for me. Used, of course.

3 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

A lot to unpack there mate. OK so firstly, to me age is just a number. I'm probably extremely lucky but I probably look about 27. I'm extremely fit, I work out and I hike 8-10 miles a day most days.

The avatar I'm using is present day me. I often get told I'm someone in his early - mid 20s, a number of my real life friends look considerably older than me. My sister turns 40 this month, yet she doesn't look any older than 30 - 31. Both sides of my family looked young.

5 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

The truth is this. I started playing games properly in 1988 on the Amiga 500. I did very well at school and my first priority was sport, so I would come home from school and generally play soccer for a couple of hours, do my homework, eat dinner and then play some games instead of watching TV until it was bedtime. Pretty healthy. Also, we played games as a family, which was cool.

We did mostly the same things, because internet in 1998 - 2001 was still considered a luxury, although my dad was the one who introduced me to it. I spent a lot of my childhood outside, I almost never played games for more than two to three hours at any given point. We did a lot of games as a family too. Used to play Mario Party 1 with my sister back in the day, had friends do sleepovers and take turns playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64.

7 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

My roots are text adventures, point and click games, arcade ports, RPGs, shoot-em-ups, sports games, puzzle games, "action" games, and flight sims. What I loved about the Amiga was the fact that amazing, literally genre-defining games were coming out every MONTH. The diversity of games I played on the Amiga was astonishing, so I think to say that older players don't have an appreciation for new games is the wrong way round. Younger gamers are playing (and obsessed with) generic clones of successful formulas, hence the Battle Royale trend, the looter-shooter trend, the sports franchise trend, etc.

I'm mostly talking about big production AAA titles, not small production indie titles on a budget. Steam is single handedly the best platform for indies, there are indies that came out this year in 2021 that look amazing on there that don't have a Sony release.

My trophy profile has plenty of indie games.

Younger gamers are obsessed with Fortnite. We were obsessed with MMOs like Maple Story, Runescape and World of Warcraft. In a sense, they're following in our footsteps.

10 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

I mean, the AVERAGE age of serious gamers is now 37. That gives quite a lot of leeway in either direction. I should also not that it was 36 not too long ago and this may even be wrong now (it probably is, people age about one year per annum 1f62c.png ).

I say the average age is around the age of James Rolfe and Mike Matei, two guys who are considerably older than me. People like Jim Sterling and MetalJesusRocks of YouTube fame are over a decade older than me, so there's plenty of people well above my age bracket.

Personally, I have much more of an attachment to the older guys.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The avatar I'm using is present day me. I often get told I'm someone in his early - mid 20s, a number of my real life friends look considerably older than me. My sister turns 40 this month, yet she doesn't look any older than 30 - 31. Both sides of my family looked young.

We did mostly the same things, because internet in 1998 - 2001 was still considered a luxury, although my dad was the one who introduced me to it. I spent a lot of my childhood outside, I almost never played games for more than two to three hours at any given point. We did a lot of games as a family too. Used to play Mario Party 1 with my sister back in the day, had friends do sleepovers and take turns playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64.

I'm mostly talking about big production AAA titles, not small production indie titles on a budget. Steam is single handedly the best platform for indies, there are indies that came out this year in 2021 that look amazing on there that don't have a Sony release.

Younger gamers are obsessed with Fortnite. We were obsessed with MMOs like Maple Story, Runescape and World of Warcraft. In a sense, they're following in our footsteps.

I say the average age is around the age of James Rolfe and Mike Matei, two guys who are considerably older than me. People like Jim Sterling and MetalJesusRocks of YouTube fame are over a decade older than me, so there's plenty of people well above my age bracket.

Good ole Mario Party 1, my sister and I used to tear our palms up playing that game

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aishsha said:

I'm pretty sure that's also because they had quite limited batches. I remember Captain America was also rather costly for me. Used, of course.

Captain America on PS3 went from £20 to £80 on Amazon.co.uk used since the store closure announcement and it's not even on the store.

The people who are saying that this is a nothing burger have no idea what the effects on the secondary market (which was very cheap in general) are going to be.

40 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Glad you have the good genes too. ☺️

Younger gamers are obsessed with Fortnite. We were obsessed with MMOs like Maple Story, Runescape and World of Warcraft. In a sense, they're following in our footsteps

This is probably me being a metaphorical boomer, but is there really any comparison between deep online RPGs and Fortnite? I mean, really?

Damn straight, you should respect your elders.?

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Forget Mirror’s Edge, people will be fighting over X-Men Destiny, Splatterhouse and Shadows of the Damned.

Now I regret not getting Splatterhouse. I already saw someone wanting $110 for it. Least I saw it for was $49. The most hilarious one was someone wanting $999 for Yakuza Dead Souls.

Yes, once Sony do not care more about PS3, secondary acc selling/sharing will be the only way to play digital-only games. 

That's exactly what I need for a delisted game, then I already bought all what I needed. Although, dont know if spend 10 more dollars for Ratchet Nexus, because it is very hard to find and expensive, but at least it is physical 

Edited by Pottercito_

19 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

The hottest games are currently Ratchet & Clank, prices have gone up a fair bit and they are selling fast! 

Might be because even Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty (the shorter entries) are awesome.

My country's equivalent of Craig's List currently has most of the R&C games for 5-10 bucks each, and I've even seen a Sly trilogy for 5 (someone doesn't know what they're selling)! I recently (yesterday) acquired Nexus for 20

18 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Holy sh- Maple Story?! One of my friends was part of the Beta (even had the bandana item to prove it).. I played from day one (the day after my last exams so I had tons of free time).

One of two MMOs I ever seriously played (Guild Wars being the other one). All the others didn't make it past the first few months before getting pulled...

19 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

The elitists on this site will piss all over many indie publishers but I've bought a lot of their games and to be honest, with a few exceptions, I don't think I've played a bad game. 

My opinion of indie games a couple of years ago was that they were shit and had graphics that were worse than the Amiga 500 but by opening my mind, I now completely disagree with that sentiment.  

Indie used to be a description for games created by hobbyist programmers who just graduated from designer school and wanted to strut their stuff. Mostly not that impressive stuff.

Currently Indie games are much more refined than some AAA multi-million budget games that are being pushed off the conveyor belt. There's still junk out there, don't get me wrong, but there now is an alternative to supporting big companies who (mostly) care about getting "dem monies"!

Sony just needs a Snickers. He'll turn 'round once he stops being so grumpy!

• Like 1

It's my first time posting in this thread even if i'm following it since the start, i recieved the mail from Sony too some days ago.

Honestly? For me eh...

I mean it would have been nice and better if they kept them open until the end of the year rather than suddendly closing in the middle of the summer and in few months, sitll there are few games i still want. Only 1 from Ps3 that i'll buy next days and like 10 on my Vita, not few but not too many thankfully, plus they mostly are JRPG or Single player games anyway so no Online either to worry.

It sucks sure but well i play mostly on Ps4 nowadays anyway with the time i have i rarely play on Vita and on Ps3 almost never anymore, that's why i'll just Get Neptunia Victory theer and mostly because i wanna play it before the VIIR on Ps4.

Plus i got some games i lvoe and are better with mods on Pc like Xcom 2 and so some of my time goes there too.

So yeah personally it's not that big of a deal the store closing and other stuff, sure it's not a great news but it's not like i don't have anything to play (Quite the opposite actually i wonder if i'll ever even clear like 70% of my Backlog) or a lot i would love to get in the future on this 2 platforms so fine by me. 

51 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

It's my first time posting in this thread even if i'm following it since the start, i recieved the mail from Sony too some days ago.

Honestly? For me eh...

I mean it would have been nice and better if they kept them open until the end of the year rather than suddendly closing in the middle of the summer and in few months, sitll there are few games i still want. Only 1 from Ps3 that i'll buy next days and like 10 on my Vita, not few but not too many thankfully, plus they mostly are JRPG or Single player games anyway so no Online either to worry.

It sucks sure but well i play mostly on Ps4 nowadays anyway with the time i have i rarely play on Vita and on Ps3 almost never anymore, that's why i'll just Get Neptunia Victory theer and mostly because i wanna play it before the VIIR on Ps4.

Plus i got some games i lvoe and are better with mods on Pc like Xcom 2 and so some of my time goes there too.

So yeah personally it's not that big of a deal the store closing and other stuff, sure it's not a great news but it's not like i don't have anything to play (Quite the opposite actually i wonder if i'll ever even clear like 70% of my Backlog) or a lot i would love to get in the future on this 2 platforms so fine by me. 

I don't play much on my PS3 and Vita at this point. The only reason why I still want to grab a few games is because they may be potentially lost after the store closure.

Really sucks about the lack of backwards compatibility. As much as I don't like Microsoft, I give them credit for backwards compatibility. Something that Sony botched up a long time ago.

PS Now is lacking a lot, seems to be like Netflix as far as what games get added and pulled off the service.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I get an error message everytime I try to purchase something, is there a way to fix it?

Nope. That's one of their new improvements introduced a couple of days ago. Can't download ANYthing from my main Singaporean Account. US/EU/JP work 50/50. If you're lucky. There's currently no bulletproof solution.

• Like 1