Jim Ryan needs to be voted out of his position

Pariah_Dark

21 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I suppose you need to read between the lines just a teensy bit, as killing would be a metaphor in this case.  You almost figured it out.

Very fascinating, I've never encountered the literary device of the, uh... literal metaphor before.

This kind of goes back to the original point... where you don't seem to believe there's any kind of check or balance in place if the consumer doesn't have a way to obliterate a company overnight with waves of bad PR, when there really is.

This has never happened. The entire reason that 'cancel culture' exists is that corporations, celebrities, etc are immune to criticism and require massive outpourings of outrage to even be mildly affected, and even then it usually just results in them issuing a public apology and then continuing on with being impenetrably successful.

It just involves not buying things, and lacks the immediate gratification.  Companies learn (adapt even) a lot when products don't sell well, and I don't think there needs to be a maelstrom of social media vengeance to accomplish that if something is truly bad, personally.

See, the problem is that this "maelstrom of social media vengeance" you speak of is just large quantities of people expressing their opinions simultaneously. May I suggest you follow a course similar to the one that you suggest? Instead of bothering people by complaining about things you dislike, just be quiet and don't participate at all - it would save a few people, yourself included, a lot of trouble.

Edited by Darling Baphomet

6 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Instead of bothering people by complaining about things you dislike, just be quiet and don't participate at all - it would save a few people, yourself included, a lot of trouble.

You keep saying this but it seems like it goes against your "people should say whatever they want whenever they want to get anything they want" drum you've been beating this whole time.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

This has never happened. The entire reason that 'cancel culture' exists is that corporations, celebrities, etc are immune to criticism and require massive outpourings of outrage to even be mildly affected, and even then it usually just results in them issuing a public apology and then continuing on with being impenetrably successful.

Kim Kardashian and Kayne West do this all the time. They think they’re invulnerable, think their opinions are the gospel, block out any criticism, and don’t care for any of their fans. 

Lebron James at least got to where he is with hard work and talent. But I can’t excuse him for being a douchebag on his Twitter account. Lebron along with Kardashian and Kayne are prime examples of today’s ‘cancel culture’. 

EA and Activision are two more good examples. Sony is following suit.

19 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It seems like they're immune to criticism, when in actuality it's just that the criticism itself is so inane that it rarely amounts to anything productive.

Not that it makes weaponizing social media a sufferable practice IMO.

8 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Most people aren't willing to wait, though, so expect these exploitative practices to continue in perpetuity.

Is the $10 price increase particularly exploitative, or is that just any price increase any time?

Edited by Dreakon13

30 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Yeah, I'd enjoy seeing any number of besuited ghouls get their just desserts, whether it's Jim Ryan, Andrew Wilson, or Bobby Kotick, but let's be real: we're a minuscule minority screaming into the void. I'd venture a guess that most PlayStation owners don't even know the guy exists—they just causally throw on their favorite game after work or school without really thinking about it, and they're satisfied. I'm certain SIE's board of directors and the shareholders are, too.

Which I will say again, the average person is stupid. Most don't even know something like Snopes exists, which I have used for years for fact checking and never been disappointed with. The masses will just take the easy way out as they do with anything else, such as sharing a hot trendy topic on Twitter without any questions or concerns. Research is a powerful tool, but is generally tossed out because well, it actually takes a little effort.

People on here talk as if the minority is bad or is a group of weirdos and outcasts. I've been a gaming minority all my life for one, but trophy hunting is generally something you need to actually search for as you're probably not going to run across it just casually glancing on Google.

If anything the kinds of discussions like this one here just separate people in the end. We're basically here because we share one thing, we enjoy trophies. But even within the niche group and minority that we're in, we get into stupid arguments over the ethics of trophy hunting and how we think the current leadership at Sony is running things.

SIE's board of directors probably don't know how to use a PS5 controller or how to play games at all. If they do, I would be surprised.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Kim Kardashian and Kayne West do this all the time. They think they’re invulnerable, think their opinions are the gospel, block out any criticism, and don’t care for any of their fans. 

Lebron James at least got to where he is with hard work and talent. But I can’t excuse him for being a douchebag on his Twitter account. Lebron along with Kardashian and Kayne are prime examples of today’s ‘cancel culture’. 

EA and Activision are two more good examples. Sony is following suit.

Yeah, I mean, the relationship between a corporation or a celebrity is always going to encourage exploitation. It simply isn't possible to connect with or care about millions of people, and I think eventually you just take them singing your praises for granted. Nowhere near the same scale, but I once had a humble social media presence, at a bit over 12k followers, and even at that point my followers were just a mass of faceless strangers I acquired relevance from. Some corporations / celebrities go the extra mile to encourage loyalty by making it more rewarding, but it's always a very impersonal relationship.

I don't believe Sony has been particularly egregious as of late. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they've been a soulless corporation for a long time, e.g. sabotaging the Vita with their greed. Their allegiance is and has always been to profit. This transition between generations has definitely been a slipping of the mask, though.

12 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

The reality is that new AAA titles have often cost more than this for a very long time. This industry loves its overpriced Gold/Deluxe/Ultimate editions and season passes, so one can easily shell out $120 for a "complete" game if they buy into the FOMO. That's why I usually hold to a personal spending rule: never pay more than $30 for a game. Most people aren't willing to wait, though, so expect these exploitative practices to continue in perpetuity.

Yeah, I'd enjoy seeing any number of besuited ghouls get their just desserts, whether it's Jim Ryan, Andrew Wilson, or Bobby Kotick, but let's be real: we're a minuscule minority screaming into the void. I'd venture a guess that most PlayStation owners don't even know the guy exists—they just causally throw on their favorite game after work or school without really thinking about it, and they're satisfied. I'm certain SIE's board of directors and the shareholders are, too.

It's a rare game that I pay more than 30$ for, and even the 30$ threshold is reserved for games I've been eager to play for a while - usually PS exclusives. Most games will be 20$ within ~2 years of release; there really isn't much reason to pay more than that unless you really like the franchise.

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, I mean, the relationship between a corporation or a celebrity is always going to encourage exploitation. It simply isn't possible to connect with or care about millions of people, and I think eventually you just take them singing your praises for granted. Nowhere near the same scale, but I once had a humble social media presence, at a bit over 12k followers, and even at that point my followers were just a mass of faceless strangers I acquired relevance from. Some corporations / celebrities go the extra mile to encourage loyalty by making it more rewarding, but it's always a very impersonal relationship.

I don't believe Sony has been particularly egregious as of late. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they've been a soulless corporation for a long time, e.g. sabotaging the Vita with their greed. Their allegiance is and has always been to profit. This transition between generations has definitely been a slipping of the mask, though.

Well I wouldn't be concerned with millions of people either, there's not enough time to read all their comments and crap. Celebrities in general are arrogant, I just used Kim Kardashian as one because I think she is one of the most obvious. Even Tom Cruise, whom I enjoyed watching for decades, is an arrogant smug prick off camera.

I never had more than a couple hundred followers on any social media platform. MySpace, the very first social media platform I used, had some internet celebrities with millions of friends/followers. Over 95 percent of those people were faceless strangers. James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd, has a few dozen friends in real life, but still has millions of subscribers thru the Cinemassacre YouTube channel.

I would be stupid to say that Steam isn't a soulless corporation because in many ways they don't care about their customers either. But they have a quality interface and platform, they didn't suddenly take away features like Events and message boxes in Friend Requests. Steam doesn't come off as much of a stupid corporation as Sony, EA or Activision do. I can't forgive Microsoft either, they bought Skype and rendered it entirely useless.

The only true companies that aren't soulless are the mom and pop stores. Those are practically almost non-existent in this day and age.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Well I wouldn't be concerned with millions of people either, there's not enough time to read all their comments and crap. Celebrities in general are arrogant, I just used Kim Kardashian as one because I think she is one of the most obvious. Even Tom Cruise, whom I enjoyed watching for decades, is an arrogant smug prick off camera.

Yeah, I can't think of any celebrities I particularly like right now. I used to love Jim Carrey growing up, but after watching a... certain movie of his and then reading an interview where he defended it I stopped caring about him. If he had simply acknowledged it was a product of its time I would have been fine with it; but eh. I appreciate the content that some popular artists produce, but why not let creating art just be an occupation like any other? No need to attach all the clout farming to it.

I never had more than a couple hundred followers on any social media platform. MySpace, the very first social media platform I used, had some internet celebrities with millions of friends/followers. Over 95 percent of those people were faceless strangers. James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd, has a few dozen friends in real life, but still has millions of subscribers thru the Cinemassacre YouTube channel.

I wouldn't recommend it. Even with a few thousand people I found myself starting to police my expression based on what I knew would be acceptable / controversial; if you're not just a self-absorbed asshole there can be a tendency to model yourself around what people want you to be. It was always nice when people would pop into my account's messages to say they found something I said inspirational or something such, though. But I can get that from personal relationships with less stress.

I would be stupid to say that Steam isn't a soulless corporation because in many ways they don't care about their customers either. But they have a quality interface and platform, they didn't suddenly take away features like Events and message boxes in Friend Requests. Steam doesn't come off as much of a stupid corporation as Sony, EA or Activision do. I can't forgive Microsoft either, they bought Skype and rendered it entirely useless.

I have a lowered opinion of Valve, as I grew up with Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2; teenage me saw Valve go from a beloved game developer to a company whose games were fueled by overpriced cosmetics... to a company that doesn't even make games at all, although perhaps they're changing that with Half-Life: Alyx.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It's a rare game that I pay more than 30$ for, and even the 30$ threshold is reserved for games I've been eager to play for a while - usually PS exclusives. Most games will be 20$ within ~2 years of release; there really isn't much reason to pay more than that unless you really like the franchise.

Pretty much! Last one I can recall spending more on was TLoU Part II ($54), mostly because I had just received my Trump Bux stimulus, and I thoroughly enjoyed upsetting some of the absolute maniacs in those wacky discussion threads around release time. Yes, I can be that petty. ?  The fact that I actually happened to enjoy the game was just serendipity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

The average person is stupid. Buys up the latest Madden and Call of Duty. Buys shark cards in GTA Online. Mindlessly throws away money on microtransactions in NBA 2K21. Automatically thinks the videos with over a billion views on YouTube are high quality content. Thinks Lil Wayne is actually a good rapper. Etc etc etc. 

That's just you generalizing hard, your average gamer is not some brain dead teen that does nothing but play cod or sports games. Are we really still using these tired old stereotypes... 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Pretty much! Last one I can recall spending more on was TLoU Part II ($54), mostly because I had just received my Trump Bux stimulus, and I thoroughly enjoyed upsetting some of the absolute maniacs in those wacky discussion threads around release time. Yes, I can be that petty. 1f624.png  The fact that I actually happened to enjoy the game was just serendipity.

Oh, I can definitely relate; I would have loved to have formulated my hot takes around that game back when everyone was still bitching about it. I'm not sure I can rightly say I enjoyed the game, at least in a traditional sense - I definitely appreciated the craftsmanship of the story and the presentation, but it was far more emotionally gruesome than I tend to indulge in.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, I can't think of any celebrities I particularly like right now. I used to love Jim Carrey growing up, but after watching a... certain movie of his and then reading an interview where he defended it I stopped caring about him. If he had simply acknowledged it was a product of its time I would have been fine with it; but eh. I appreciate the content that some popular artists produce, but why not let creating art just be an occupation like any other? No need to attach all the clout farming to it.

The only ones I really like anymore are Samuel L Jackson and George Clooney. And they're both old and past their prime. I can't think of any new or younger celebrity I like at all. I was sort of into iRobot with that guy who had a part in the PS4 game Until Dawn, but I stopped caring about him.

45 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I wouldn't recommend it. Even with a few thousand people I found myself starting to police my expression based on what I knew would be acceptable / controversial; if you're not just a self-absorbed asshole there can be a tendency to model yourself around what people want you to be. It was always nice when people would pop into my account's messages to say they found something I said inspirational or something such, though. But I can get that from personal relationships with less stress.

You become a victim of the system. That's why PewDiePie, Markaplier and JackSepticEye are garbage to me. They cater to a general dumb audience. Not all, but a lot of smaller channels are generally more concerned about the art and creativity of the video content they post. The people at the top are doing it almost purely to make money, not because they see YouTube as an artform.

But I have found kids on YouTube that make PewDiePie look like small fry in terms of how stupid and idiotic they are. Can't stand them.

48 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I have a lowered opinion of Valve, as I grew up with Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2; teenage me saw Valve go from a beloved game developer to a company whose games were fueled by overpriced cosmetics... to a company that doesn't even make games at all, although perhaps they're changing that with Half-Life: Alyx.

My opinion lowered after how they treated Half Life for so long. Right now Valve is basically an online supplier, which is Steam.

9 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

That's just you generalizing hard, your average gamer is not some brain dead teen that drinks mountain dew and eats doritos while exclusively playing cod or sports games. Are we really still using these tired old stereotypes... 

That was the 2000s. My generation actually. Today's generation of kids are playing Fortnite and mobile games. I do appreciate that there are more older people playing games, that wasn't the case 20 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

As far as the design goes, why do people care about the web store so much? xD

Imo just another thing to be mad about, it's only on this site I've ever seen people complain about the ps store. There's even those that claim the ps5 store is laggy and slow... think yall need to revisit the ps3 store and try making a purchase there see how many crashes or attempts it'll take before you can even press purchase on a game. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Imo just another thing to be mad about, it's only on this site I've ever seen people complain about the ps store. There's even those that claim the ps5 store is laggy and slow... think yall need to revisit the ps3 store and try making a purchase there see how many crashes or attempts it'll take before you can even press purchase on a game. 

If someone is complaining that the PS5 store is slow, must be special... I can literally buy a game in 3 seconds. On PS4 it takes way too long to open payment information. Never had a PS3, but I assume it was worse than 4.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tony_snake_24 said:

How is having a huge ps3 backlog ridiculous? Guess you don't like games

I do like games. A lot, actually. That's why it's the hobby I'm sticking to even if life gets busier with career, personal life, the usual. The thing is, I also like many other things. If somebody has a huge PS3 backlog, it probably means the person also has a huge PS4 backlog. These people basically play everything and all the time.

No issue with that. But I want to also concentrate on many other things in my life, not just playing games 24/7. I do not like EVERY game. And I also intentionally skip some games I would like to play because of the reasons I mentioned. And even with all that, I still play a lot, which is the reason these backlogs seem ridiculous to me.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, Maaden_Swe said:

Lol, you guys are hilarious. 

More than half of these are either not true or doesnt have anything to do with him.

Grow up. And please dont get a Ps5, go be a gamepass circus clown instead. You sure argue like they do. 

Good post. One of the finest I've seen in a while. People just love to complain about everything. I guess people are really hurt about Days Gone 2, yet I'm sure a good portion of them didn't even buy the first game at launch, lol.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Which I will say again, the average person is stupid.

For some reason "average person” can be used as a derogatory term. When it is, I wonder how the author tips the scales to ensure he rates higher than millions of his peers. Maybe he earns more money than the average person? Maybe he reached a higher education than the average person? Maybe he has lived longer than the average person?  Often not.

Probably more accurate to say "The average gamer has different values than me. Jim Ryan appears able to capitalize on this disparity. After all demand for the PS5 continues to exceed supply even at a time that end-of-life for the oldest PlayStation systems arrived earlier than I prefer and the PS5 seems to implement some poor design choices."

I advocate protesting Sony's decisions if you don't agree with them. There's just no need to tread on "the average person" in the process.

On 2021-04-14 at 1:43 PM, Valyrious said:

I guess people are really hurt about Days Gone 2, yet I'm sure a good portion of them didn't even buy the first game at launch, lol.

What do you mean by this? That those people complaining didn’t even support the studio by buying their game at launch, or that those people complaining didn’t buy the game at launch and therefore didn’t know what a buggy, broken mess it was initially?

It took some time, but I think once the issues got ironed out, Days Gone gradually emerged to be a huge fan favourite and easily one of the best PlayStation exclusives Sony has ever put out. It’s not a perfect game by any means, but it is remarkably fun to play, and one of the few games I’ve played where I literally couldn’t put the controller down for days. I think it is absolutely deserving of a sequel, with a lot more resources and manpower dedicated to creating it so it could have a smooth launch this time around and have a shot at achieving the critical acclaim the first game should have.

Whether or not Jim Ryan had anything to do with it or not, I don’t know. But I think we should turf his ass anyways because we want Days Gone 2, and we want it right now. ?

• 1 year later...
On 13/04/2021 at 6:42 AM, Sendai-Horatio said:

I hate to say it, but if you're blaming Jim Ryan for this you don't really know what you're talking about.

The current CEO of Sony of Japan is who has being making all these moves. Jim Ryan is in charge of Playstation because he's a Yes man who will do what Yoshida orders.

Which Yoshida are you talking about? Because Shuhei Yoshida is lower ranking than him in the PS organisation.

2 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Which Yoshida are you talking about? Because Shuhei Yoshida is lower ranking than him in the PS organisation.

Kenichiro. All the things I've read on him and his public appearances seem to really point to him being the one who's driving Sony's current direction.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

• 1 year later...

I'll have thoughts after we see what comes of Sony with his replacement. Considering there was a very real possibility this could have lead to something far worse.

• Like 1