DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

10 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

I was scrolling down this thread to request you share your views on The Cave on PS3 while it’s still fresh in your mind - and there it already is. That must be what they call talent! 🙃

Thanks for keeping this topic alive and active, that’s quite a pleasure to read your thorough reviews 👍

Thank you mate, I really appreciate that!

☺️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Hey DBM... you still taking requests for reviews? Really curious to see your take on Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

I do - been a bit slower these past few months, but I'll flag it on the master list with your name - will get there eventually!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Characterisation is on point, however - each of the party members is given good screen time - but the stand out - Garl, the childhood "non-magic" friend of the pair of Solstice Warriors, is inarguably the heart and soul of the game. He is so absurdly winning, likeable and fun to be around, that it should be illegal. 
Indeed, Garl is something of a gaming anomaly, in that he should, on paper, be utterly insufferable - he is goodness and kindness personified, and should come across as a complete Mary Sue...
...but somehow he doesn't. He simply wins over the player in exactly the same way he wins over everyone else!

We all love Garl. I feel like we all predicted that he'd be one of the bad guys at the very start of the game, when he didn't show up for the start of the adventure, and then as if by magic he's exactly as you say, the kindest being ever conceived.

y6983Jz.gif

1 minute ago, Breakingthegreen said:

We all love Garl. I feel like we all predicted that he'd be one of the bad guys at the very start of the game, when he didn't show up for the start of the adventure, and then as if by magic he's exactly as you say, the kindest being ever conceived.

I know what you mean - after that intro, I was 100% convinced that he was going to be this game's Pokey Minch...

...but he turned out to be this game's Aireth. 😌

Spoiler

AND... they did a Chronotrigger, and undid that game's injustice 😂 

• Like 1

Thank you for doing so much justice for The Messenger in your review! I was really excited to see it coming up for review next I knew it would be well worth reading and man did you deliver. I truly enjoyed every moment with that game. The passion that was put into it is just so obvious from the very get go. 

I hope your write up encourages more folk to give it a blast!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eqill5 said:

Thank you for doing so much justice for The Messenger in your review! I was really excited to see it coming up for review next I knew it would be well worth reading and man did you deliver. I truly enjoyed every moment with that game. The passion that was put into it is just so obvious from the very get go. 

I hope your write up encourages more folk to give it a blast!

Thank you mate - I hope so too, ‘cause that game is a banger!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm curious Doc. When you review a legacy title, how do you do it, because with your level of detail I can only see 3 possibilities: One, you dig through the your previously bought games and replay it from beginning to end. Two, you watch the game online and try to recall how it played. And three (my favourite option) you have a memory that is near super human and you could join the cast of The Chase but you use your memory reserves for games you played over 10 years ago.

Edited by Breakingthegreen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You definitely gave me inspiration to continue my list! (someday lol). You always make good reads and they are really enjoyable, not to say you write better that most academics these days. Lately I haven't been enjoying videogames that much, I have to get back into the groove and in general, improve my mental health and why can't I get that feeling anymore. Reading your thoughts is always inspiring because of the positiveness it brings.

I've been reading your ranking, and I really agree with the games I had played so far. Curiously the most "in the middle" game would be the #220 Guardians of the Galaxy, and it fits a lot the etiquette of "middle" lol. It's just marvel, and I actually played it so I agree with it.

Maybe I missed it but, why is there a limit on the games on your list? Is it based on a list you previously wrote? I guess you are also adding new games every year, since Elden Ring only released last year.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeanolt said:

I've been reading your ranking, and I really agree with the games I had played so far. Curiously the most "in the middle" game would be the #220 Guardians of the Galaxy, and it fits a lot the etiquette of "middle" lol. It's just marvel, and I actually played it so I agree with it.

Ha - that one does feel like a rather fitting "middle of the road" type game actually!

2 minutes ago, Jeanolt said:

Maybe I missed it but, why is there a limit on the games on your list? Is it based on a list you previously wrote? I guess you are also adding new games every year, since Elden Ring only released last year.

How do you mean?

I only put games on there that I've S-Ranked (there are a small number of games on there that aren't currently S-Ranked, but that's because DLC came out after the ranking) - but I started this when I already had over 500 games outstanding, so it's taking a very long time to add everything!

I try to keep on top of all new S-Ranks as a priority, and will dip into doing old games as and when I have time, but it's slow going obviously - I'll try to hit the ones people request as a priority, or if a new one is coming up that is a sequel to an unranked old game, I try to make sure I get the previous ones done first - but I suspect it'll still be a long time before the list actually catches up to only including new stuff - if it ever gets there! 😂

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 5:52 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Overall, Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very good little game. It's one that looks and sounds fantastic, and does a damned fine job of evoking some real emotion through its narrative, while keeping the gameplay fun and engaging enough to carry what is often quite a bleak and stark tone.

Can't argue with this at all. Well worth playing for anyone who hasn't. especially anyone with an interest in WWI.

Found your review of Star Trek: Resurgence very interesting. Good to hear an indepth review on that one and nice to hear a vibe of general positivity! Looking forward to getting to use a tricorder myself! 

Not sure if anyone has suggested it yet for a review, but considering I've just finished it I have to throw in a request for Sea of Stars! I know you probably want to do that review with The Messenger as well at the same time but the request is there anyways.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Found your review of Star Trek: Resurgence very interesting. Good to hear an indepth review on that one and nice to hear a vibe of general positivity! Looking forward to getting to use a tricorder myself! 

I reckon you'll dig it, my Trek sensei!

4 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Not sure if anyone has suggested it yet for a review, but considering I've just finished it I have to throw in a request for Sea of Stars! I know you probably want to do that review with The Messenger as well at the same time but the request is there anyways.

I'm way ahead of you buddy (on this page, no less!)!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I told you that I can't wait for your review for Alan Wake 2 but I'm also interested in Goodbye Volcano High and it reminded me a little bit of Night in the Woods (very charming and  underrated gem). GVH looked visually great except for the characters. They looked a little bit weird to me but I'm still open minded. Let's see what you will say about this game.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 1

Maybe an out of topic question but, have you ever tried to get the account to 100%? Maybe at some point of your life? Although it's possible that with so many games at least one of them glitched and you said screw it lol.

There's not many people with a high completion on their main account; I mean, not an account created with the purpose of 100% but actually the original one.