Huge issue with staff using 'time played' to accuse people of cheating

I'd say most of mine are accurate in the grand scheme of things, but i do have quite a few on there that i take issue with, mostly due to a lot of games on PS4 saying that i've never spent any time on them but still got the 100% / platinum!

Apparently i've never played:

Unicorn Princess (and by god i remember that game..... LAAAAAYYYYLLLAAAA)

Hitman 2 expansion (never played apparently but earned an online trophy)

Candle

Uncharted Remastered 1, 2 and 3 (never played apparently but i've done my online leaderboard trophies)

Deadpool (PS4 version i platted but according to exophase i never spent any time on it)

Here's a really baffling one. I finished and played Harry Potter Lego Collection years 1-4 and played for 54.73hrs, but finished years 5-7 with no time.

And some times on there i REALLY can't agree with:

Warframe. Exophase = 3090hrs   Warframe's in game timer = 1988hrs    wtf  xD

Dogchild says 3hrs to complete, and i can assure you it took way longer cos that game is broken af, and i had to redo certain chapter multiple times.

Infamous First Light says it took me 9.53hrs! Holy shit, not a chance, i had to redo that stupid arena a few times before i managed it and i swear that alone probably took me longer than 9 hours  >.<

Couple more to add.

More games i've apparently never played:

Deus ex Mankind Divided, i've earned 17 trophies but exophase has no time listed

j stars victory vs+, yet another game i got the online trophies out of the way for, but again according to exophase i've never played it

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, platinumed the game, took me a very long time, not according to exophase, no time listed.

Among The Sleep

Goat Simulator

Here's a great one though. Dark_Overlord and i played Helldivers together. According to my exophase account, i played it for 23.93hrs and Dark_Overlord has only played it for around 30mins. Unless there's some serious Star Trek, time warp manipulation shit going on, i'm preeeeettty sure exophase has it wrong on Dark_Overlords account  xD 

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
added more 'games not played'
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head, I know that Exophase displays my time in Monster Hunter World as 415.34h while my save data says 458:28, and while Exophase doesn't display it, my PS5 lists my time in Nier Replicant as 26 hours when my save is closer to 40 (I can't check the exact time without reinstalling the game). Both of those games should be much longer than the save data shows, not shorter, considering they both involved plenty of quitting and reloading. Neither of those times are impossible, but unless the quitting and reloading itself was somehow an issue, I can't think of any reason they'd be inaccurate unless they just do that sometimes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I just wish I could figure out how to look up my Exophase times. I’ve tried looking up my PSN name + exophase and got no results. And I don’t particularly want to make an account on the site. 

According to exophase my psn account didn't even exist until i made an account on exophase itself, which was interesting  xD 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Here's a really baffling one. I finished and played Harry Potter Lego Collection years 1-4 and played for 54.73hrs, but finished years 5-7 with no time.

Games that are part of a collection will have a combined time that will appear on one of the games.  In your case, both of the Lego Harry Potter Collection games have a combined time of 54.73 hours and appear on the first list - years 1-4.

It happens with the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro games etc. and I've seen it happen on MHW/Iceborne on my own list.

Edited to add:  If you've only just added your account to Exophase, then it does take a while for it to fully update all of your times

Edited by Mesopithecus

8 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Games that are part of a collection will have a combined time that will appear on one of the games.  In your case, both of the Lego Harry Potter Collection games have a combined time of 54.73 hours and appear on the first list - years 1-4.

It happens with the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro games etc. and I've seen it happen on MHW/Iceborne on my own list.

Edited to add:  If you've only just added your account to Exophase, then it does take a while for it to fully update all of your times

Well, that answers 1 of the 11 i currently take issue with for no times  xD

Dark_Overlord has been on the site for years though, how long does it take on average for the times to come up?

Because if the answer is a couple of years, i think i'll just delete the account now since it seems a little pointless  :/ 

4 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

tbh i really dont care about leaderboards or what trophy unlocks when..i game for entertainment. If someone says you cheated, who cares. You dont get shit but bragging rights for being high in the boards.

I don't care for the leaderboards either (shockingly), it's the principle of being branded a cheat by using data that is proven to be inaccurate and refusing to accept that it is inaccurate.

• Like 3

I have no horse in this race despite being a mod (it's not like I have the ability to apply or remove flags), but I don't think CRT bases their judgement to apply a flag based on these times only. They realize these aren't 100% accurate. I know for a fact that they've tested it out quite a bit so I'm pretty confident they know about its deficiencies.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

I don't care for the leaderboards either (shockingly), it's the principle of being branded a cheat by using data that is proven to be inaccurate and refusing to accept that it is inaccurate.

is it possible the cheater removal team also has information other than just the play time on exophase that you don't know about to make their decision?  I would agree.  Exophase play time shouldn't be a sole source of branding a person a cheater, but I don't know of any instances where it was.  Do you have any examples where this has happened?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I’m confused, is PSNP CRT using Exophase to pull time played stats?

Yes, you may wanna re read the original post, the quote underneath the topic is straight from the mod B1rvine, he's talking about times on PSN which in turn leads you back to exophase, a site that claims to use PSN times.

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit

27 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I’m confused, is PSNP CRT using Exophase to pull time played stats?

Time played stats are available via the new PS5 trophy API, so it's possible that the CRT is getting it from there (even if the information isn't displayed publicly here on PSNP).

The only thing that worries me about using this feature to identify cheaters is the apparent assumption that just because this feature works as intended *now*, it always worked as intended. The playtime data for any game from prior to October 2020 is based on when this feature was experimental and not publicly displayed by Sony anywhere. No matter how much you poke, prod, and test this feature *now*, that never demonstrates that is worked properly for the literal years when it was a hidden beta feature.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

is it possible the cheater removal team also has information other than just the play time on exophase that you don't know about to make their decision?  I would agree.  Exophase play time shouldn't be a sole source of branding a person a cheater, but I don't know of any instances where it was.  Do you have any examples where this has happened?

They've probably got multiple avenues, however my issue with the statement B1rvine posted that the time is 'dead accurate', when it is evident that it is not.  I've seen playtime be pulled up in a few disputes now, when IMO it can't be trusted as has been shown by myself and others in this thread.

Also posted by B1rvine

So... I know what doesn't mess up the time, and nobody seems to want to tell me what they're doing to mess it up. I suspect it's cheats, or some form of leaderboard rule breaking.

So instantly the stance is being taken that people are cheating if their times are low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

Oh look, Tera, the game has no time on it and yet you earned trophies. I'm sure you've not cheated on it, but i'm also sure someone would use this as evidence to say that you have in some way.

As someone said before, it could just be that since you've just been added to the site, your time hasn't updated. Yet other people on exophase have had an account for years, and still have games that have no time listed.

I just don't get why this site would be used to 'catch cheaters' when clearly it should be fulfilling a function that simply doesn't work  :/ 

• Like 4