Easy JRPG Platinum Recommendations

BucketsAndBombs

Hi guys!

So I haven't really played JRPGs much but am interested in trying them out.  I was looking for a good JRPG with an easy platinum as long as it doesn't take 100+ hours or anything.  I really don't know where to start as I'm not super familiar with JRPGs so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmm... A lot of my favorites are too long for you, have really grindy 100%s with easy missables, or lack trophy support completely. 

Southpark Stick of Truth is obviously not a JRPG, but it's done in that style. It's enjoyable, relatively short, not a terrible 100% (but there's missables).

I am Setsuna was pretty good and fits your criteria. It's not earth shaking or anything, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Hello!

The great thing about JRPGs is, that many of them are SO good, that you love to play them 100h+.

But there are some shorter ones out there too.

Shorter ones:

Antiquia Lost is very oldschool, old graphics that give you gameboy-feelings - about 12h.

Hyperdimension Neptunia is a JRPG series with about 50h+ for each game. Round-based-combat system, crafting system, dungeon-slashing - very funny tho. Its not an epic story, its all about women, but I really enjoyed every part of it.

Shining Resonance for PS4 is a really beautiful adventure, where you can also fight as a dragon sometimes! Definitely worth a try. About 50h until platinum.

All parts of the Mana-Saga are nice to play until platinum. 10-30hrs for each of them.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4) is the shortest Final Fantasy game with a platinum. About 40 hours!

Lost Sphere is also a hidden gem - about 40 hours too.

TERA is a JMMORPG. You can do the platinum without playing it as an mmo at all - about 60 hours.

Thats just some of them.

All of them are worth to play and worth to buy - but to be totally honest, the best ones take about 100h to platinum. If you want me to tell you my recommended ones, just give a shout.

Edited by I-CatHasTrophy-I
  • Like 3

Not to sound obvious, but the original FFVII is a good place to start. Easy, no annoying trophies like FFIX, the grind at the end is not too bad either compared to other FF's as far as I know. 

Not a JRPG per say, but check out Cosmic Star Heroine, old school Chrono Trigger inspired. Can be completed in 15 hours.

Most of the best JRPGs are 100+ hour platinums. Luckily the PS4 has some of the best JRPG of all time:

Persona 5 Royal

Dragon Quest XI

Tales of Berseria

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1-4

Persona 5R is probably the easiest and also my favourite.  The Legend of Heroes TOCS series is amazing though, but your looking at 4 games, each potentially 100+ hours each.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, s68sc said:

Final Fantasy XV is an Easy 60 hours Platinum but if you want to complete the DLCs the difficulty change from Easy to Medium

Attention here - prepare for an additional guide if you want to play this on 100%. The Comrades-Multiplayer-DLC is a stanalone-game now and the multiplayer trophies are not obtainable anymore. You can get them if you keep your game on version 1.26 and dont update it at all. The game has to be downloaded seperately too.

58 minutes ago, s68sc said:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir another Easy 35 hours Platinum

Oh I already forgot that. It was such a great game!!

Because some people are talking about the 100hrs+ games - they are all right.

Persona is amazing.

Trails of Cold Steel is stunning.

Tales of XXX are wonderful.

.... but sorry, the Kingdom Hearts Series is just the best of all <3 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, s68sc said:

Dark Cloud is an Easy 25 hours Platinum.....continued in OG post

This is the kind of list I can get behind.  Thanks for sharing.  I might take a stab at a couple of these.

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

For shorter JRPG platinums, FFXV and Kingdom hearts 3, both take 50 hours to platinum and are relatively easy. KH3 requires some skill and persistence in the mini games though. FF8 takes 30 hours and is super easy.

Nier Automata- 30 hours to complete the game, and you can buy the trophies with in game currency or play 60 hours if you want to get the plat legitimately. FF7 original is easy to platinum but the remake is longer and harder, mostly because of a certain mini game but still under 100 hours. FF Type 0 is easy and 30 hours to plat. 

Easy but kind of long plats, just about under 100 hours

FFX-2: 80 hours, easier than FFX but needs a walkthrough or it's probably impossible to platinum 

FF12 TZA: 90 hours, some challenging parts with the bosses and requires good strategy and planning for certain enemies

Tales of Berseria: 90 hours, very easy platinum but grindy. 

World of FF: around 90 hours, a bit luck based

Persona 5 Royal is easy to platinum but will push you over the 100 hour mark, it's easier to platinum than the vanilla version.

The Atelier games are easy to plat, Atelier Sophie took me 30 hours, and Atelier Ryza and Ryza 2 are easy and short to plat according to the guides, same with Firis and L&S. 

• Like 1

As others have already suggested, and it may not be ideal for you since it is 100+ hours, but I highly recommend Persona 5. The Royal version in particularly has a super easy plat, and there's no trophies affected by what difficulty option you choose. The later Persona games (3 to 5) are honestly really good JRPGs for newcomers. Persona 4 was one of my first JRPGs when I was trying to get more into the genre beyond just Pokemon and Digimon, and it had me hooked.

If the time commitment of Persona is too much for you however, then some other recommendations I have are:

Dark Cloud - Pretty easy plat, not too long and a pretty fun little dungeon crawling action JRPG. It's a pretty old PS2 game, and while it is very addictive, it doesn't have the most memorable stories or characters, and the gameplay may be a little niche, so you may want to look into a bit first if any of that deters you.

Final Fantasy 7 (original) - This one has a pretty easy plat, and if you haven't ever played it, it's definitely something you want to play if you're looking to get into JRPGs. I would also recommend FF8, that has an even easier plat from what I've seen, but FF9 has kind of a hard plat. FF10 is relatively easy, same goes for FF10-2, FF12 and FF7remake. FF15 is almost pathetically easy, and FF14 is an MMO with a very grindy plat that I wouldn't recommend at all. The FF games can be decently lengthy, definitely not 100+ hours, but do expect to be spending 30-60+ hours on them.

Nier Replicant and Automata - Both are pretty easy plats, especially automata where you can simply buy some trophies in-game (with in-game money, they're not mircotransactions). These are kinda bordering on JRPGs however, they're pretty much just straight up action games with some JRPG elements thrown in. They're great, thought provoking games that I would highly recommend regardless however.

Some other ones I would recommend, but maybe don't have the easiest plats or shortest playtimes are:

Kingdom Hearts series - Some of the games have decently easy plats, I'd say 3 is definitely the easiest. They're relatively short games, and a good introduction to action JRPGs.

Dragon Quest 11 - Easy plat, very long play time, will almost definitely take you 100+ hours. Like Persona however, Dragon Quest is a very good newcomer's JRPG. The series has always been very much basic JRPG formula, almost to a fault, but that's part of its charm and addictive gameplay.

I Am Setsuna - I got bored close to the end, but thankfully its a beautiful game.  Closer to something like Chrono Trigger or Cosmic Star Heroine (also, play Cosmic Star Heroine, very good game, not a JRPG in the strictest sense, but heavily inspired).

Dragon Quest XI - This personally took me about 170 hours, but I wanted to do EVERYTHING so I did before I killed the final boss and got the last trophy.  I can see a quick run taking about 70-90 if you focus solely on trophies.

Final Fantasy VII (Original) - Very easy, very limited missables, and I will attest that if you don't get a certain date on your first try, with the speed cheat on, you can get to the point of getting that date on another partial run in around 3 hours.

Final Fantasy 15 - This is not short, but as long as you don't dip your toes too much into the DLC (I liked a lot of it so I recommend it) it's very easy.  IT's not overly long either, took me like 80 hours and my platinum times tend to be a bit slower than most guides.

On 06/05/2021 at 3:53 AM, I-CatHasTrophy-I said:

Hello!

The great thing about JRPGs is, that many of them are SO good, that you love to play them 100h+.

But there are some shorter ones out there too.

Shorter ones:

Antiquia Lost is very oldschool, old graphics that give you gameboy-feelings - about 12h.

Hyperdimension Neptunia is a JRPG series with about 50h+ for each game. Round-based-combat system, crafting system, dungeon-slashing - very funny tho. Its not an epic story, its all about women, but I really enjoyed every part of it.

Shining Resonance for PS4 is a really beautiful adventure, where you can also fight as a dragon sometimes! Definitely worth a try. About 50h until platinum.

All parts of the Mana-Saga are nice to play until platinum. 10-30hrs for each of them.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4) is the shortest Final Fantasy game with a platinum. About 40 hours!

Lost Sphere is also a hidden gem - about 40 hours too.

TERA is a JMMORPG. You can do the platinum without playing it as an mmo at all - about 60 hours.

Thats just some of them.

All of them are worth to play and worth to buy - but to be totally honest, the best ones take about 100h to platinum. If you want me to tell you my recommended ones, just give a shout.

I wouldn't recommend HyperDimension Neptunia for someone new to JRPGs; it's on the harder side.

Definitely agree with Final Fantasy Type-0, assuming OP uses the exploit.

If you're looking for short and easy games, then JRPGs really aren't for you. There's a couple that are, but they're rare exceptions, and tend to miss the mark on what makes a truly great JRPG anyway. In my experience, they tend to be shallow and forgettable. Simply because not much time was spent playing them, and there just wasn't as much to do. 

The point of JRPGs are to be big and sprawling worlds with involved stories and characters. You aren't going to know if you really like JRPGs, until you get into something that's going to take a long time. The best games in the genre are long and tend to be difficult/grindy for a reason. That's just part of the genre. If you're really interested in trying out a JRPG, then don't worry about the time it's going to take and how easy or difficult to plat is. Just play a good game and see if it's for you. If it is for you, then spending 100+ hours really isn't a big deal, because you'll want to continue to spend time with the characters and want a reason to stay in the world. If it isn't, then that's okay too.

I always recommend someone wanting to try JRPGs to play Final Fantasy X first.

Imo, it's the perfect starter JRPG. It's got everything that defines JRPGs as a genre, but it's not too difficult to just play through, and doesn't lean too heavily into the grindy and overly fantasy aspects that other JRPGs do. There's a lot going on if you want to dig into it, but you don't have to to just enjoy the game.

• Like 1

For beginner friendly JRPG,  I'd go with Valkyria Chronicles.  Both VC Remastered + VC 4 is on a bundle sale for $16 right now until 5/12.  Great story, likeable characters, and not lengthy.  If you like war turn-based games, this might be a good fit.  

L10f072.pngL0bdec3.png

8 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

I wouldn't recommend HyperDimension Neptunia for someone new to JRPGs; it's on the harder side.

Oh you think so? I think Neptunia is pretty easy, because there are no difficulty-specific trophies. You can play everything on the lowest difficulty. And grind up your way until you become a one-hit-wonder :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, I-CatHasTrophy-I said:

Oh you think so? I think Neptunia is pretty easy, because there are no difficulty-specific trophies. You can play everything on the lowest difficulty. And grind up your way until you become a one-hit-wonder :)

Maybe I shouldn't have spoken for the series as I've only played Re;Birth 1 so far (still playing it actually). But that game in particular is definitely pretty hard; I'm not the only one who thought so. You finding it easy just means that you're good lol.

Also, I didn't even know you could change the difficulty. Is that option there in Re;Birth 1 too?

4 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

Also, I didn't even know you could change the difficulty. Is that option there in Re;Birth 1 too?

Mmh... its so long ago... if there is no difficulty setting, you can definitely lower the difficulty by activating plans. Weaker enemies, stronger attacks - even onehit-kills are possible if you activate a plan for it. The only time this doesnt work is at event-bosses, because you cant hit them before the fight starts. But with the one-hit-kills you can just grind your way to maxlvl and kill eventbosses without a problem :) 

5 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

I've only played Re;Birth 1 so far (still playing it actually).

I played all of them - and all the spin-offs.

The easiest one was MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (that name tho lol) and Superdimension Neptunia VS Sega Hard Girls  - just in case you wanna pause the series after Rebirth 1 and play funny spinoffs instead.

Re;Birth 1-3 are similar if its about the difficulty. And there is a spin-off for Noire (Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart) which is a Strategy game - reminds me of Disgaea a bit. Thats what I play too atm ^^

• Like 1