Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

1 minute ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I'll let you know, because I certainly don't think it's a waste of time.  I gave them thousands over the years and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to let me use what I paid for.

Sony doesn't give a damn anymore about the PS3, they would shut everything off if it wasn't a headache of lawsuits incoming.

Contacting support will certainly be useless because they will simply assuming you're a modder and refer to the ToS.

If you want to have a chance, fill a lawsuit to unban your PS3, people managed to unban PS5s in some countries (even being WRONG, exploiting the PS Plus Collection).

Any decent court would give you reason as Sony would provide "his console used unauthorized software to access our network", which would be voided by the leak.

However, it's cheaper to buy a new PS3 lol.

6 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

As for the media thing, I was thinking the same thing:  I was just going to screen cap this headline (good one by the way, TC) and send it to like a vg news place.  One of the good ones, that would actually call and bug Sony about it.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  IGN?  Gamesradar?

Mainstream gaming media will certainly ignore that unless smaller outlets like old school youtubers, etc start to make some noise (as happened with the CBOMB).

By mindful that Sony decided simply to ignore the CBOMB even it making considerable noise

37 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Definitely not coincidence in my case, these guys have been on at least 8 hours a day for months.  I'm proud of them acutally, each one has probably 20k hours of service and I was just about to say goodbye to them anyway :)

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you managed to get this resolved. This whole thing is honestly one of the most concerning things I've read about in relation to games/consoles in a long time.

5 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I'll let you know, because I certainly don't think it's a waste of time.  I gave them thousands over the years and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to let me use what I paid for.

As for the media thing, I was thinking the same thing:  I was just going to screen cap this headline (good one by the way, TC) and send it to like a vg news place.  One of the good ones, that would actually call and bug Sony about it.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  IGN?  Gamesradar?

I've been thinking of doing the same actually. Pushsquare and Eurogamer are pretty good at reporting on more "small scale" things like this. Maybe PlayStation LifeStyle as well.

@GUDGER666 would you be alright if I linked to this thread in reference to this issue if I contact any news/gaming sites about this? May also post about it on other forums to increase visibility.

• Like 4

Could be this a situation where only PS3 that have been playing online multiplayer get affected? I mean, if it was a data breach, and of this size, Sony would have said something already and probably worked on a fix too, not because of the users but more because of the public image this would give to shareholders and what not.

I will test my PS3 later but so far, my guess is that it's either hackers on multiplayer lobbies somehow getting other PS3 IP's or, Sony is simply banning consoles that were bought pre owned, but this one seems unlikely.

5 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you managed to get this resolved. This whole thing is honestly one of the most concerning things I've read about in relation to games/consoles in a long time.

Indeed, especially once we take into consideration how historically difficult it's been to appeal PSN bans 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

Could be this a situation where only PS3 that have been playing online multiplayer get affected? I mean, if it was a data breach, and of this size, Sony would have said something already and probably worked on a fix too, not because of the users but more because of the public image this would give to shareholders and what not.

I will test my PS3 later but so far, my guess is that it's either hackers on multiplayer lobbies somehow getting other PS3 IP's or, Sony is simply banning consoles that were bought pre owned, but this one seems unlikely.

Not necessarily. I've had an old password leak last year or so and I'm 99% sure it was Blizzard (it was my old Blizzard password, and I received emails of people trying to access my account around the same time), many others were also reporting having their accounts accessed or attempted to be accessed around the same time. No public word from Blizzard ever. And often when a company does report on a data breach, it's not uncommon for it to be months after the breach has actually happened. Sony could genuinely just not be aware of this as well, or they don't think it's important enough to make an announcement about.

That being said, I guess the next question to be asking now is, to everyone that had one of their PS3s banned, have you played any online multiplayer games recently prior to the ban?

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Alright, I've so far reported this to Siliconera, Destructoid, TheGamer, PlaystationLifestyle and Eurogamer. If I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

Thanks. So far I've sent to Eurogamer and Pushsquare. Will send to others also and hopefully this gets attention. 

• Like 3

From personal experience, reporting to gaming sites do nothing. I tried to do it when they were originally planning to shut the Vita Store down, or even before, when the old site's download queue ceased to work. Anyway i've just checked my Super Slim bought in 2014 and it's still fine. I even used US and JP  secondary accounts until a couple of days ago and they were working. But now i'm scared.

• Like 2

I received a temporary ban TWICE for absolutely no reason at all not even a month ago. Kind of scary to think about when I feel like there is absolutely no support system from PlayStation to avoid or fix something like this from happening. Who would you even call about this? I feel like PS support would not take this seriously. You never hear about something like this happening with Xbox, just saying. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I received a temporary ban TWICE for absolutely no reason at all not even a month ago. Kind of scary to think about when I feel like there is absolutely no support system from PlayStation to avoid or fix something like this from happening. Who would you even call about this? I feel like PS support would not take this seriously. You never hear about something like this happening with Xbox, just saying. 

Was it the console and how long did the bans last, also same console? 

• Like 1

Just now, GUDGER666 said:

Was it the console and how long did the bans last, also same console? 

I believe it was tied to my main console only, I cannot recall if I tried signing into my account on my other PS3s. I did try signing in multiple times to no avail, with only the error code given for bans showing up. First ban lasted a couple of hours, second about 30 minutes to an hour. It’s honestly super scary toying with the idea of losing access to online functionality with my account from something out of my control. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I believe it was tied to my main console only, I cannot recall if I tried signing into my account on my other PS3s. I did try signing in multiple times to no avail, with only the error code given for bans showing up. First ban lasted a couple of hours, second about 30 minutes to an hour. It’s honestly super scary toying with the idea of losing access to online functionality with my account from something out of my control. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again. 

Hmmm seems weird it would only last a short amount of time. For me I don't get a code its a message that says access on the system is banned or temporarily suspended. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fro_Jangles said:

My fat Ps3 isn't banned, but I haven't played an online game on it for years.  I don't know if that has anything to do with it

Last time i played online was last weekend on MotoGP 13 for 3hrs to get the online trophies. Before that it was about 2yrs ago. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Last time i played online was last weekend on MotoGP 13 for 3hrs to get the online trophies. Before that it was about 2yrs ago. 

Maybe my theory of it actually being people on online lobbies being able to somehow get the PS3 IP is true. If other people who got their IP banned can confirm they played an online match we could check this out

6 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

Maybe my theory of it actually being people on online lobbies being able to somehow get the PS3 IP is true. If other people who got their IP banned can confirm they played an online match we could check this out

These are console bans, not IP bans.

Both my PS3's are fie for now. I do play online, but only when self boosting.