Can we relegate threads about shovelware to some sort of sub-section?

43 minutes ago, F1rstinFlight said:

Are you seriously arguing semantics over the difference between two publishers/developers that put out mass amounts of stacks of games that are largely 95+% platinums? That's one high horse you're riding there, buddy. It seems to me you're getting a bit defensive because you have Ratalaika games on your profile but you feel too morally superior to put a Breakthrough game on it.

I have Ratalaika's on my profile, because they were decent indie games.

I don't have Breakthrough games, because they aren't. :dunno:

I'm certainly morally superior - but it has little if anything to do with my PSN Profile, and more to do with me not being a douchebag.

I guess when I group the two together you suddenly feel some type of way because you think I'm putting you in the same category as the people you look down upon. I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, but you can take your sardonic bullshit somewhere else.

When you group the two together, I do feel "a type of way."

It's the same "type of way" I feel when I read other factually incorrect statements.

Did I take some shots at trophy whores? Yeah I did because I get triggered thinking about the current state of the trophy system and this site loves to throw it in your face. Do I also have a sincere desire for both sides to coexist more peacefully and not feel attacked all the time? Yeah I do because I honestly feel like the trophy whores are getting beyond fed up with the amount of crap being thrown their way by people (like myself) who take a more "old-school" approach to trophy/achievement hunting. Two things can be true 1f609.png.

Ah, I see, now I understand your "sincere desire"  - you are in the business of protecting "Trophy Whores" from the terrible dangers of... You.?

That's terribly magnanimous of you - we all applaud your white-knight-like efforts ??

Though... one would think the easier way to protect the "Trophy Whores" you are so interested in defending, from the terrible dangers of your own negative comments, would be simply to stop making them...

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, dakk55 said:

Or....you can just ignore the Shovelware game threads.

It's hard to ignore them when they take up a lot of space on the home page.

OP: I agree that something should be done, but I don't know if that's a feasible way to solve the issue. There's the matter of what defines a "trash" game. I think a lot of people can agree with Breakthrough and Ratalika games falling into that category, but what happens after that?

Games like XBlaze are extremely easy from a trophy perspective, but some people (like me) played them for the story. Then you have SpongeBob games that require more effort than Breakthrough/Ratalika games, but are still very easy platinums. Once we play the "pick and choose" game, we're going to run into trouble.

And for the sake of transparency: I am one of the people who shits on those who play games solely for EZPZ plats and I don't feel bad about it.

• Like 1

Sony’s quality control department should relegate the Breakthrough games, the Pontus games, and stuff like Little Adventure on the Prairie to Steam. I don’t have a problem with easy trophy games, just all the zero quality rubbish games that flood the store.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

Sony’s quality control department should relegate the Breakthrough games, the Pontus games, and stuff like Little Adventure on the Prairie to Steam. I don’t have a problem with easy trophy games, just all the zero quality rubbish games that flood the store.

TBH, they could go a long way to sorting the bulk of the issue (and stop people shitting on the negative aspects of Ratalaika and Sometimes You’s Trophy policy) by simply banning accounts that have games from multiple regions - at least, any one that can’t prove a reason why (moving country etc.)

I’m fairly sure that giving false addresses to have multiple region accounts is against the TOS anyways, and it would limit all plats at least to just a single regions’ worth each.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

TBH, they could go a long way to sorting the bulk of the issue (and stop people shitting on the negative aspects of Ratalaika and Sometimes You’s Trophy policy) by simply banning accounts that have games from multiple regions - at least, any one that can’t prove a reason why (moving country etc.)

I’m fairly sure that giving false addresses to have multiple region accounts is against the TOS anyways, and it would limit all plats at least to just a single regions’ worth each.

Or they could simply make all games share the same trophy list, regardless of region. But, Sony is not going to enforce something that would make them more money. 

Plus (at least with physical games), anyone could order a game from another region. I think that would just create more issues. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Or they could simply make all games share the same trophy list, regardless of region. But, Sony is not going to enforce something that would make them more money. 

Plus (at least with physical games), anyone could order a game from another region. I think that would just create more issues. 

Both good points.

Although, I reckon physical disc issue is largely moot at this point - most games folks whine about are digital only as far as I can tell, and we can’t be that far out from physical discs being pretty much phased out of all but the biggest releases.

Definitely agree with @DrBloodmoney about the stacks, which makes no sense for me why they are allowed to do that,you want to play 2 minute platinum please go ahead but same game giving you extra 5-6 platinum trophies is ridiculous , it takes 2 hours to have more platinum trophies from a majority of people in this site, That’s  another topic though! @ThatMuttGuy sharing the same one sounds perfect! But it’s all about money I guess!

• Like 1

Just now, totakos1 said:

Definitely agree with @DrBloodmoney about the stacks, which makes no sense for me why they are allowed to do that,you want to play 2 minute platinum please go ahead but same game giving you extra 5-6 platinum trophies is ridiculous , it takes 2 hours to have more platinum trophies from a majority of people in this site, That’s  another topic though! @ThatMuttGuy sharing the same one sounds perfect! But it’s all about money I guess!

absolutely - I’m all in favour of single, cross-region lists - it would stop the main issue I take with all these topics:

people deciding that an ability to stack an easy trophy list, somehow makes the game it is attached to worthless.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

When you group the two together, I do feel "a type of way."

It's the same "type of way" I feel when I read other factually incorrect statements.

What exactly did I say that was "factually incorrect"? You personally may not have liked how I categorized Ratalaika as similar to Breakthrough, but I didn't state any false information. I'll take your word that Ratalaika has higher-quality indie titles than Breakthrough, but I never said anything negative about the quality of the games themselves. I've been speaking entirely in terms of trophy lists and I've only referenced platinum percentages and time required for platinums.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah, I see, now I understand your "sincere desire"  - you are in the business of protecting "Trophy Whores" from the terrible dangers of... You.?

That's terribly magnanimous of you - we all applaud your white-knight-like efforts ??

Though... one would think the easier way to protect the "Trophy Whores" you are so interested in defending, from the terrible dangers of your own negative comments, would be simply to stop making them...

You're all focusing on the part where I acknowledge being part of the problem. I definitely am, but so are others in this thread. I also don't post very frequently at all. The number of these threads where I've commented is minuscule and the number of posts I've had removed is minuscule. I regularly ignore these threads and will continue to do so because they're impossible not to ignore with the frequency at which they appear. I'm not one of the active members being vocal in many of them and I don't usually troll people. I often try to write more thoughtful responses, though I do realize I come off as offensive at times. I'm not a significant-enough member for my opinion to carry any weight. This was just a thought I had late last night as I was getting ready for bed. It obviously won't work and has no support. That's totally cool. But I truly have a desire to reduce the toxicity on this site regardless of whether you believe me or not.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm certainly morally superior - but it has little if anything to do with my PSN Profile, and more to do with me not being a douchebag.

Well that's rather subjective. While I don't really know you at all, I have come across your posts before (how couldn't I when you have over 4,000?) and you're not often the nicest person in the thread I'll say. You often veil your feelings behind attempts at witty humor and I've seen people get highly offended by you. Maybe you got confused and meant "having" instead of "being" here because you drained the douchebag you keep next to your bed to make your lips moister? (now I'm trolling ?)

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

People like you utterly confound me. This is actually a thoughtful idea and you wrote the entire post without a hint of sarcasm. You obviously feel similarly as I do about the issue, yet because one part of my post triggered you, you came at me with a derisive attempt at humor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, F1rstinFlight said:

What exactly did I say that was "factually incorrect"? You personally may not have liked how I categorized Ratalaika as similar to Breakthrough, but I didn't state any false information. I'll take your word that Ratalaika has higher-quality indie titles than Breakthrough, but I never said anything negative about the quality of the games themselves. I've been speaking entirely in terms of trophy lists and I've only referenced platinum percentages and time required for platinums.

You both referred to all games from the two publishers as "Trash", then when called on it, doubled down, and stated that any difference was semantic.

You're all focusing on the part where I acknowledge being part of the problem. I definitely am, but so are others in this thread. I also don't post very frequently at all. The number of these threads where I've commented is minuscule and the number of posts I've had removed is minuscule. I regularly ignore these threads and will continue to do so because they're impossible not to ignore with the frequency at which they appear. I'm not one of the active members being vocal in many of them and I don't usually troll people. I often try to write more thoughtful responses, though I do realize I come off as offensive at times. I'm not a significant-enough member for my opinion to carry any weight. This was just a thought I had late last night as I was getting ready for bed. It obviously won't work and has no support. That's totally cool. But I truly have a desire to reduce the toxicity on this site regardless of whether you believe me or not.

We're focussing on that part because it's hilarious.

Well that's rather subjective. While I don't really know you at all, I have come across your posts before (how couldn't I when you have over 4,000?) and you're not often the nicest person in the thread I'll say.

Incorrect. I'm lovely.

You often veil your feelings behind attempts at witty humor and I've seen people get highly offended by you.

No, I use actual witty humour. And, again - still lovely.

I cannot be responsible for people being offended by me -  I am but one man - but I can moderate the tone with which I post, and ensure that their offence has no basis.

Maybe you got confused and meant "having" instead of "being" here because you drained the douchebag you keep next to your bed to make your lips moister? (now I'm trolling 1f602.png)

good one?

People like you utterly confound me. This is actually a thoughtful idea and you wrote the entire post without a hint of sarcasm. You obviously feel similarly as I do about the issue, yet because one part of my post triggered you, you came at me with a derisive attempt at humor.

That's because I'm terribly confounding. 

Unless, of course, you simply take what I say as my opinions, and don't try to warp them into a narrative about me as a person.

I haven't deviated in my points one bit across any of these numerous posts and threads.

To recap:

Ratalaika games = Good.

Ratalaika trophy policy = Bad.

Breakthrough = Worse.

Stacking good games  = Fine.

Stacking EZPZ games = Silly, but harmless.

Multiple Region Stacking = Bad.

Attacking people for it = Worse.

Asking the site to change because you yourself cannot exercise any self control, and can't help but attack people = Priceless.

Does that help with the confoundment?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

How about enforcing forum rules and punishing trolling, derailing threads and harassing other users instead of dividing the community some more by relegating certain games as "not equal to other games?"

I read a lot on this site about how Breakthrough games (read: Eastasiasoft, Gaminzumi, Ratalaika as well) ruin the leaderboards, and how much a rarity system would change that. Spoiler: for the top ranks it won't much since said shunned games get you only so far on the boards. 

Its sad that people want to discourage playing certain game types for elitist and selfish reasons. Whats worse, users get openly harassed for playing Breakthrough games. Almost all Breakthrough games threads end up in trolling, harassing or insulting, with the topic getting derailed.

To me its not the games that are the problem, its the people who cant let others play the way they want.

Relegating certain games in a seperate category would mean the site gives into trolls and continues to spread a toxic environment for discussions.

• Like 1

@DrBloodmoney

I said the sub-section of the forum where the threads discussing the trophies in these games could be called Trash. Again I never spoke to the quality of the games themselves, just the trophy lists and how they’re discussed on this site. And if you don’t think a blind monkey could literally be trained (quickly) to platinum some of these games then I have some videos to send you because you obviously don’t know how smart monkeys are. You’re really good at selective reading though. Again my comment on arguing semantics over differences was strictly in a trophy and stacking context. 

The saddest thing is that I actually think you do have very thoughtful ideas and opinions. You just suck at expressing them in many cases. Well I’m waving the white flag on this one. Now I know how it feels to start a thread on this site and have people immediately jump down your throat. This is actually helpful experience for me haha. I’m not going to respond to this anymore and the mods can feel free to shut it down. 

@Thrillhelm

That’s a very thoughtful response and I appreciate your perspective. I’m going to personally try to stay out of toxic conversations around this issue and do my part to make the community better. 

• Like 1

I played a few POWGI, Ratalaika, and Breakthrough games with mixed experiences.

POWGI puzzles can be fun in doses, easy plats with guides, still easy but can be time consuming without.  I only buy these for half price out of principle.

Ratalaika, enjoyed a few of the games for what they are.  Super Destronaut, FullBlast, Jack N’ Jill, FoxyLand etc.  They have some gameplay and nostalgia value.   That was gaming in the old days!   Others like SageBrush, I just wanted to end.  I only buy these for $2.49 or less out of principle.

Breakthrough are the lowest denominator but they are harmless.  I did a couple of the “sports” ones (as I play a lot of sports games) and for $0.99, I have spent on a lot worse things.  The Racing one was an enjoyable 10-15 minute mini-game for me, trying to avoid the obstacles.  That was more enjoyment than I got out of Conan Exiles for example. ?

All are trophy whoring to a degree (as are so many others like Japanese visual novels, My Name is Mayo, Memory Lane, etc.), but who cares.  The folks who feel the need to snip at every post involving such a game, I feel worse for than those who choose to game how they wish.  

I play a lot of games with ultra rare platinums (grindy and difficult) so if I like to break it up with some freebies, good for me.  

I do think stacking, especially region stacking is fake and rather silly, but again harmless.  If you are leaderboard chasing in the first place, you are probably losing at life.  My 2 cents ?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

How about enforcing forum rules and punishing trolling, derailing threads and harassing other users instead of dividing the community some more by relegating certain games as "not equal to other games?"

I read a lot on this site about how Breakthrough games (read: Eastasiasoft, Gaminzumi, Ratalaika as well) ruin the leaderboards, and how much a rarity system would change that. Spoiler: for the top ranks it won't much since said shunned games get you only so far on the boards. 

Its sad that people want to discourage playing certain game types for elitist and selfish reasons. Whats worse, users get openly harassed for playing Breakthrough games. Almost all Breakthrough games threads end up in trolling, harassing or insulting, with the topic getting derailed.

To me its not the games that are the problem, its the people who cant let others play the way they want.

Relegating certain games in a seperate category would mean the site gives into trolls and continues to spread a toxic environment for discussions.

Platinums are not equal. That's just a simple fact of life. Different people play for different reasons, but you can't tell me any Breakthrough or Rat game is anywhere near equivalent to Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the Necrodancer. You can't because it's just not true. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Platinums are not equal. That's just a simple fact of life. Different people play for different reasons, but you can't tell me any Breakthrough or Rat game is anywhere near equivalent to Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the Necrodancer. You can't because it's just not true. 

The rarity% shows the value but a platinum is still worth its 300 points for the leaderboards.

10 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

The rarity% shows the value but a platinum is still worth its 300 points for the leaderboards.

In the same way a nice, home cooked meal and greasy fast food off the dollar menu are both technically dinner, yes. But that's another topic for another time. 

The fact is, there are impressive plats, shit plats, easy plats, normal plats, grindy plats, and all sorts in between. It's ok to recognize that the Breakthrough gaming plats are indeed shit plats. 

EDIT: With that said, I think attacking people based on their profile is something we shouldn't condone. No need for everyone to hate one another ?

Edited by ThatMuttGuy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I do think stacking, especially region stacking is fake and rather silly, but again harmless.  If you are leaderboard chasing in the first place, you are probably losing at life.  My 2 cents ?

This right here.