Bring back the Start button !

waterfields1

Ok, so this is a really small, petty complaint. I hate the fact that my shiny new controller doesn't have a start button. Its been replaced with 'Options' - last night someone said to me 

''Well in all fairness, all the start button did was bring up a list of options''

Thats a valid point, but I counter that with the following - any game that says ''Press the Options button to begin'' makes it apparent that it should still be called the 'start' button. Has any gaming controller in history not had a start button? I don't understand why it was changed at all.

Now I know this doesn't matter, Im hardly going to lose any sleep over it, but its just one of the few small things that bugs me. What do you think?

how often was the start button ever used to start something ? Pause would have been a better definition but sounds too slow :P

I always use :cross: when starting a game :ninja:

This

It is extremely rare that a game accepts only the start button when the prompt is showed.

Ok, so this is a really small, petty complaint. I hate the fact that my shiny new controller doesn't have a start button. Its been replaced with 'Options' - last night someone said to me 

''Well in all fairness, all the start button did was bring up a list of options''

Thats a valid point, but I counter that with the following - any game that says ''Press the Options button to begin'' makes it apparent that it should still be called the 'start' button. Has any gaming controller in history not had a start button? I don't understand why it was changed at all.

Now I know this doesn't matter, Im hardly going to lose any sleep over it, but its just one of the few small things that bugs me. What do you think?

They don't say: 'Press the Options button to begin' but: ''Press a button to begin''

But most games use the 'Press Any Button To Begin' prompt. It's really not that much of a problem, and it's not something that can be fixed with a 'patch', it's a hardware situation, there's nothing they can do now, so you'll just have to live with it. It doesn't affect me in the slightest bit.

a game say ( press start )

i hit  :cross: or  :circle: to start the game, so press option do make sense to me even though i don't have a ps4 yet  xD

if they wanna fix this all the developers from now on should switch the word ( press start ) to just tell you to ( press to start ) or maybe the second generation of the daulshock 4 sony might print on the button ( option / start ) or ( O / S ) or simply made each button looks different than each other like :start:  :select:   

• Like 1

Once you get used to the DS4, there are no concerns about what a button says or does.

And they simply combined Start and Select to give us Options.

I looked at your avatar image, and I just wanna say, KIFFLOM! Lmao, those missions were hilarious.

- - -

Anyway, what the OP said, 'Well in all fairness, all the start button did was bring up a list of options'', is correct, and I don't quite know why they renamed it but it does make more sense, you use the button to view your options far more than to "start" a game up. If a developer wants to make it sound weird by saying "Press the Options button to play", that's their problem for doing that, lol. I'm thinking soon enough every game will say "press any button to begin".

Edited by BlindMango

Pressing start to pause wasn't much of a stretch. Many music players of days gone by featured play/pause buttons. So you would press 'play' to pause your music and 'start' to pause your video games, that's just how we rolled back then. I prefer calling it a start button to an options button personally.

My only problem with the Option button on the DS4 is that it's in a slightly different position than the Start button on the DS3, so I always end up hitting the stupid touchpad.

Same here, & when I started getting used to it I went back to the PS3/DS3 & kept hitting the top right of the controller instead of  :start:

i bought the controller to use with my ps3..

i think them getting rid of start and select was a good idea.. the buttons became dorment and were pretty much a wasted button..

although its been start and select for a few years now, i doubt we actually pressed those buttons for much time