Trophy Thoughts

Deluziion90

Pretty decent game overall.

Trophy list could be done in like 2h with a guide.

One blind playthrough and a repeat for the plat would take around 4h.

Some trophies are hard to get blindly just by looking at the description. Thats my main disappointment with this plat.

• Like 2

I was thinking of getting this Game but the price for a 2 hr platinum isn’t for me. Plus the trophies should of went in a different direction, like being a bit harder or Grindy to get. I haven’t played it but looking at the list and a guide gameplay it’s just another easy platinum that’s corrupting/ruining the trophy system..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

As for the game itself, I'm somewhat interested, so I'll probably pick it up eventually. I've heard that the story gets way out there towards the end, like really nuts. 

Oh yeh it does. Quite shockingly actually, was not what I was expecting at all.

A very solid game, it’s not incredible, but well acted, fun loop and easy completion if you know what you’re doing.

5 hours ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

It's not that kind of game though, it's "legit" for lack of a better word. It's an interesting narrative puzzle/point and click game.

I guess you could just not try to play it on your own/blind at all and go straight to a guide and get the plat as quick as you can... But that would be a you problem, wouldn't it?

This is going to have a lower plat % for "normal" people for sure. You can't just cakewalk it.

People here will do shit like skip text on a visual novel and discredit the entire genre, calling it just an easy plat... When no that's just you choosing to play the game that way. 

100%. A game which tries to be/is a quality game that happens to be short and easy…that isn’t the developers fault, it’s just how it is. Inside is one of the best indie games I’ve ever played and is a <2 hours completion if you don’t care to finish it or take your time…

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wavergray said:

Game has a decent concept but a terrible story. The trophies are exactly the type that fit this type of game. Once the guide are out it will be a 2-3 hour plat. 

I would wait for a $10 sale or for it to hit ps+ or psnow in a few years.

No spoilers ahead, don't worry.

Wouldn't call the story 'terrible' but it did feel underwhelming after finishing it. As you say concept is great - also think Daisy Ridley and James McAvoy were brilliant (Willem Dafoe less so) - and I think the twist did a good job at altering the game's course in a way where it makes you think about what the loop means. However, despite being a bit shocking, the twist didn't deliver the knockout punch I was hoping and expecting...more of an 'oh...really?' type feeling.  Of all the directors the dev could have gone down, this one in particular was...very unique, to mixed results. I imagine it was chosen because of how society views the matter in question, but it felt more shocking for that reason rather than as a narrative mechanic.

I'll probably re-play it for the PS5 platinum, as I did quite like it. I am primarily Xbox (PS for exclusives) but I tend to re-play most Annapurna games, as they are my favourite independent publisher by a landslide. Even the 'weaker' games they publish (e.g. Maquette) are still very worthwhile, and most are easy Platinums that don't require you selling your soul for a 'game that isn't really a game'. 

Edited by PhantomFear94

6 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Very disappointed by this lazy take.

This isn't a Ratalaika-esque list. You'd have to follow a guide to do this quickly. If you were doing this blind, it would likely take you several hours. For the record, although easy, you do need to pay attention following a guide for this as well because everything happens in real-time. 

No idea why so many people can't make the distinction between shovelware and a game that makes effort that ends up being easy once a walkthrough gets circulated online. How many would consider  'Inside', 'What Remains of Edith Finch', 'Firewatch' etc. 'rata cancer'?

you are right, I’m just referring to the “12 gold trophies” kind of list which is very similar to most of trash platinums. 
if the game has a lot of possibilities and different situations / endings etc, that’s still a poor and lazy trophy list in my opinion because they could have worked on a large / challenging / fun trophy list.

12 minutes ago, lucask001 said:

you are right, I’m just referring to the “12 gold trophies” kind of list which is very similar to most of trash platinums. 
if the game has a lot of possibilities and different situations / endings etc, that’s still a poor and lazy trophy list in my opinion because they could have worked on a large / challenging / fun trophy list.

Well the problem is I don’t see how they could have made a much more varied list for this game in particular. The entire game takes place in a very tiny apartment with just a single room and a tiny bathroom. And you can walk into a small bedroom. That’s the whole game. And the game if you were to play it blind, you will end up repeating the same scenes and dialogue in the one room over and over and over again. Hearing the same dialogue many times until you figure out the one little change the game wants you do exactly to progress. Even if you have an idea of what to do to take a shortcut.

The game can only do so much with the trophies for this and I feel they did a good job as it has trophies mostly for endings, some you do over the course of the game (collectible type), some dialogue ones or doing specific things. And even kind of an Easter egg one for ending the loop early. I tried to play the game completely blind for a while but just ended up getting frustrated by it. The voice acting is alright but I expected better considering the actors they cast. Some of the dialogue clearly sounds like they weren’t acting off of one another and it sounds stilted. The story and where it ends up going in the end is a love it or hate it. I was really excited for this game. I got the full completion on game pass after eventually just using maka’s video guide. But I was just very underwhelmed. The game could have been so much better. But that’s just my opinion. Others may find more enjoyment out of it. 

1 hour ago, lucask001 said:

So before anything, I regret my first line in response to you ("...lazy take...") and general tone of my response was much ruder than intended, so I apologise about that. 

Regarding my point, I do believe though there is a profound difference in what companies like Ratalaika do, and what Annapurna-type developers do. An achievement list sort of reflects what the game is, and I'm not quite sure what more they could have done. They could have maybe added more easter-egg style achievements, maybe a speed-run, but that's about it and with a guide I can't imagine anything would be that much more difficult - no real 'fail state' to 12 Minutes. Despite it being a loop mechanic, it's not an open-ended experience. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lucask001 said:

Granted, there is a type of game out there that does lazily use the 'Gold-Overload' lists simply due to lack of imagination, and so it can be tempting to assume that an over-abundance of golds, and a lack of total number of trophies equates to a bad / limited / lazy game experience, but it's not always the case.

Sometimes, that kind of list can be more about keeping the list simple, in order to avoid being too 'prescriptive' in terms of player choice, (forcing them to play specific ways, when the game is about choosing your own path,) or avoiding spoiling aspects of the game by encouraging the player meet arbitrary trophy requirements at the expense of immersion.

After all, game devs spend years crafting the experience of their game, and only a small amount of time adding trophy requirements - it would be a shame to burden a great, smaller game experience that has been lovingly laboured over for years, by making a big, but overtly prescriptive task-list on top of it.

Take for example:

The Witness

Return of the Obra Dinn

Superhot Mind Control Delete

Dandara

Outer Wilds

Gris

Virginia

Ether One

Gorogoa

Tachoma

Chime Sharp

A Way Out

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Now - there are certainly variations in the quality of the overall game in that list (and of course, not every one will be everyone's personal cup of tea,)...

...but I think you would be hard pressed to argue that those a lazily thrown together games - or that the lack of a huge, diverse trophy list particularly harms the overall experience.

In most cases, I actually think it helps them - they are mostly quite specific, unique experiences, and the smaller list  keeps the focus where it should be - on the game, and not needless side tasks.

Not the case with all games of course - we all love a smart, clever, diverse set of meta-challenges, but there are some games that just aren't suited to it - and I suspect this one might be one of those cases.

Certainly, the mere presence of the Annapurna name pretty much confirms there will be nothing lazy about this game - they have shown themselves to be a real hallmark of quality over the course of the last decade. Hopefully, that continues with 12-Minutes!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

On 12/8/2021 at 0:44 AM, rockhopper78 said:

I hated this game. I played it on game pass. Some trophies you definitely need a video walkthrough for. Maka91 has a great video on YouTube that walks you through all the trophies and whole playthrough in a very easy to follow guide. Game is not worth $25 though imo. 

Thanks for this comment I'll wait for a sale . buying hades or life is strange instead.

• Like 1

Got all achievements on Xbox. I'll wait until this is on Plus or something.Plat is like 2-3 hours if you know what to do and are following a guide. But the fun is in trying to figure out what to do next to progress the story. I spent about 15 hours on the game. I did enjoy it, although some aspects are frustrating, like not being able to save state at a specific point in the time period so you can try different things to see if they have an effect. As it is, you have to replay the loop to trying something different.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to playing this and luckily didn't have any of the twists and turns spoiled for me. I played blindly for about 3-4 hours before digging myself into a hole and realized I hadn't earned any trophies yet. Saw the note in the trophy guide about the first missable trophy (on the very first loop), so decided to reset my progress and start over again while loosely following the guide, and had a completely different experience gathering the information.

I prefer games with a more straightforward trophy list for these types of narrative adventures, especially after experiencing dozens upon dozens of loops (most of which don't progress the story at all). Except in this case, there are so many different combinations you can try (deaths and so on), that it almost feels like a waste not having more achievements to explore the limits of possibility.

Following the guide definitely spoils it too quickly without giving you the impact of slowly extracting the information. In hindsight, I wish I had played through the whole thing blindly rather than looking out for collectibles and so on, while at the same time, I did get frustrated at the lack of progress I was making. I love the concept of mystery time loops in games, though; it reminds me of something like The Sexy Brutale or The Invisible Hours.

• Like 1