Play Asia listing has Dragon Quest 12 as a Switch Exclusive, No Playstation Listing Found

Sendai-Horatio

https://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-xii-the-flames-of-fate/13/70ej9v

Apparently Dragon Quest 3 and Dragon Quest 12 are Switch exclusives, I guess the PS5 really is in worse off condition that expected since Japan apparently has a grudge against sony as some outlets suggest.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Someone’s confirmation bias is showing. Sensationalism aside, timed exclusive are very lucrative and pretty common with larger companies these days. 

Smart money is on this being multi-platform, including Playstation. 

I don't know if it's confirmation bias, but all I keep seeing are people touting that scalping has apparently ruined the Playstation 5 and caused it's software sales to crater and that nobody really owns a system in the millions claimed and that they're just rotting away. That in turn has caused developers to supposedly abandon Sony in favor of Nintendo.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

12 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

scalping has apparently ruined the Playstation 5 and caused it's software sales to crater and that nobody really owns a system in the millions claimed and that they're just rotting away

Accusations aren’t facts. More people making more accusations don’t make more facts.

If you look for or surround yourself with people who keep repeating accusations, it’s human nature to just accept them as facts, but until there are actual facts, recognize that these accusations have just as much probability of being true as being false. 

• Like 4

I bought a Nintendo Switch because of Monster Hunter Rise.

Since then, I played lots of Switch exclusives, even if I dont get trophies.

Tbh - to me, playing Switch feels like going on vacation. It doesnt matter on which difficulty I play, how many sidequest I skip or how many collectibles I miss. There is no second playthrough afterwards for a completition. I am only playing for the story, doing everything I really enjoy.

I played DQXI on Switch - on the PS4 I only played it until about half of the game. I love JRPGs but sometimes the platinum trophy just sucks. When I think about Secret of Mana - I had so much fun with the game (~10 hours) but I had to grind 14 hours(!) for one missing item. I got really frustrated. It wasnt about skill, it was just about having luck or being unlucky.

Same problem with Dragon Quest Heroes 2. The game itself takes about 50 hours - but you have to grind for about 250 hours.

I mean, I did the platinum in both Monster Hunter games on PS4 and they were really grindy at the end until I got all large and mini crowns, but the fights were funny, even after 300 hours. Tons of JRPGs are not funny at all if you have grind-parts. Most of them are just something you do while watching a full Netflix-Series.

I can really recommend buying a Nintendo Switch - even if the console itself isnt really good. There are tons of awesome exclusives already (the whole Mario/DK/Kirby/...-Franchise, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Zelda,...) and like I said: For a trophy hunter, this adventures really feel like going on vacation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I don't know if it's confirmation bias, but all I keep seeing are people touting that scalping has apparently ruined the Playstation 5 and caused it's software sales to crater and that nobody really owns a system in the millions claimed and that they're just rotting away. That in turn has caused developers to supposedly abandon Sony in favor of Nintendo.

Everything you've been saying sounds like conjecture based on statements originally founded on similar conjecture. I recommend doing some research with reputable media sites/publications around why PS5 is experiencing shortages. Then broaden that search to look at shortages of electronics in general, economic issues in the technology market in general, the pandemic influence and so on. You'll see coverage of scalping in the mix, sure, but you'll also come out of it with your own formed opinion rather than parroting the vague surface-level 'apparently' stuff.

Not having a go here, but research goes a long way to creating an informed and well thought out opinion. Generalising, surface-level knowledge and conjecture never work very well. Or carry on as usual! you do you! :) 

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

There's no way DQXII won't be multiplatform. By this point Dragon Quest is tied with the PlayStation brand as much as it is with Nintendo. Likely scenario XII is a Switch timed exclusive because timed exclusives are all the rage. The Switch install base is massive, SE will want to capitalize on that as much as they can - I remember significantly more attention was brought to DQXI online when the Definitive Edition came out on Switch, especially compared to its PS4 release. The previous HD-2D game Octopath Traveler hasn't even been released on PlayStation, so if anything I think III HD-2D Remake (still hate that name) will be completely Switch exclusive.

But remember, these early retailer listings get things wrong all the time. This is probably a placeholder.

18 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

Someone must not know there's a pandemic going around.

If I'm being honest what I've read over at Gematsu who track the sales data, that Sony's performance over in Japan has a direct effect on what Japanese games the rest of the world gets because Japanese publishers cater towards Japan first and foremost. And if the game doesn't do well on playstation the publisher puts the game out on the switch. So far the switch has apparently conquered the sales charts and that it looking like the pandemic has already destroyed what chances the PS5 has had at success. That and they also claimed Sony's first party games have zero appeal outside of America which they've claimed means they're dead in the water throughout Asia.

This seems to have spread over to other gaming news outlets as the dominant opinion, because I have not just read it there.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

This isn't even a news article but the guy making the topic is creating some crazy ass explaination to a simple retail listing of 1 game.

snowflake-3317-983ebf23c2a64cff53b9faccd

Here's a picture of a snowflake. Please create a story about how it proves global warming and the rising tides around Rio Grande.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

If I'm being honest what I've read over at Gematsu who track the sales data, that Sony's performance over in Japan has a direct effect on what Japanese games the rest of the world gets because Japanese publishers cater towards Japan first and foremost. And if the game doesn't do well on playstation the publisher puts the game out on the switch. So far the switch has apparently conquered the sales charts and that it looking like the pandemic has already destroyed what chances the PS5 has had at success. That and they also claimed Sony's first party games have zero appeal outside of America which they've claimed means they're dead in the water throughout Asia.

This seems to have spread over to other gaming news outlets as the dominant opinion, because I have not just read it there.

No offense, but this is starting to come across more and more like a narrative than anything else. The title was clickbaity enough as it is, and the idea that SE are 'pulling support' for Playstation isn't just farfetched, it's outright wrong. Sony are putting a lot of money into third party exclusives from the company in particular- we're about to get Forspoken and as far as we can tell the future of Final Fantasy is going to be Playstation only. 

1 minute ago, Alos88 said:

No offense, but this is starting to come across more and more like a narrative than anything else. The title was clickbaity enough as it is, and the idea that SE are 'pulling support' for Playstation isn't just farfetched, it's outright wrong. Sony are putting a lot of money into third party exclusives from the company in particular- we're about to get Forspoken and as far as we can tell the future of Final Fantasy is going to be Playstation only. 

Oh so you're saying that the journalists have not been honest then. I guess that's a bit of a relief.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

Just now, Sendai-Horatio said:

Oh so you're saying that the journalists have not been honest then. I guess that's a bit of a relief.

No, I'm saying you're making up nonsense, possibly out of preference for Switch. It's really starting to feel like concern trolling in here.

26 minutes ago, MadDoggMajima said:

There's no way DQXII won't be multiplatform. By this point Dragon Quest is tied with the PlayStation brand as much as it is with Nintendo.

Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne were the most popular Monster Hunter games of all time.

Even with that, Monster Hunter Rise became exclusive for Nintendo and PC.

Thats not how it works :-)

I remember significantly more attention was brought to DQXI online when the Definitive Edition came out on Switch, especially compared to its PS4 release.

Much more. Also: DQXI got additional Features on Nintendo Switch - we never got them on PS4.

All of these JRPGs are really big in Asia, especially in Japan.

The most popular console in Japan is the Nintendo Switch. It's even more popular than all of the PS4-Versions.

The most popular console in China is the Xbox, because -Funfact- its the only legal choice there.

Even in the last years - Sony's Handheld consoles got really bad reviews in our regions, while they were extremely popular in Japan.

The PSP was the most played console for a while there. Thats the reason why Sony has so many digital JRPGs in the Vita store until today.

Sony had tons of exclusive Square Enix Titles - and there have always been some that were not released on a Sony console.

Kingdom Hearts for example. I bought -every- console just because of this wonderful game series.

KH1&2 on PS2

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories on Gameboy Advance

KH coded wasnt even released in europe.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days on Nintendo DS

KH BBS on PSP

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance on Nintendo 3DS

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix Version on PS3

Kingdom Hearts 3 on PS4 (available on Xbox too)

Be happy if they release stuff on Sony consoles. It's not something they -have to- do.

Edited by I-CatHasTrophy-I

So? That doesn't stop anyone from jumping to conclusions. SE puts out plenty of games for Switch and Playstation, and of those only a handful are exclusives. There's no evidence to show SE has lost interest in Playstation whatsoever- quite to the contrary, in fact. If you want an example of a company that actually has largely abandoned the console, NIS would be a far better example.

• Like 2

Sony is not a Japanese company. They're an international company that just happens to use Japan as a home base. Much like how Apple, Microsoft, Nike, 3M, Boeing, Google, etc etc are all international companies as well who just happen to be in the US.

With that said, Sony doesn't care where the money comes from, as long as it comes from somewhere. They would not pull support for a certain region for reasons other than unfavorable returns on investment. Keep in mind that Sony is a public company and has fiduciary responsibilities towards its shareholders. Personal bias and feelings have no place at the table there. If Japan doesn't like a game but Europe/US does, they will not interfere with its publication providing that a profit can yield from it.

The predictability is very simple: if something is released for you to play, it's because the publisher's model showed that it had a good chance of generating a profit. If it doesn't get released for you to play, it's because the model showed that it would not generate enough of a profit to invest in it. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Alayaes

This series has bounced back and forth like shitty ball physics in an early-2010's FPS. Prior to the Playstation it was a Nintendo franchise, then 7 and 8 were Playstation titles, 9 and 10 were back to Nintendo, 11 was back to Playstation with a 3DS port in Japan but the enhanced port going to Nintendo first and Playstation a bit later, and now we know these two are gonna at least be on Switch.

I wouldn't go trusting Play-Asia as a sole source until we have confirmation but even if, it's not like they've been consistent and that's fine. Even if it's Nintendo Switch exclusive for now, I'd be HIGHLY shocked if PS didn't get a port down the road. Dragon Quest is massive, it would take some serious dough to convince Squenix not to ?

If this is true, I bet it's only a timed exclusive. The franchise has a history of hoping between Sony and Nintendo consoles. And considering that DQ11 sold really well in the west, which was really just the PS4 audience at the time, it'll probably port over like how they handled the DQ11S version.

I try playing games on my switch, but instantly want to go back to my PlayStation because I hate the joycons. It also sucks not being able to talk with friends while I play games. And of course, no trophy/achievement system. I also find that prices never go down for a lot of switch titles, or at the very least it's at a really slow rate.

I'm not the biggest switch fan, but the exclusives from Nintendo are worth playing.