Playing on PS5 and have lost all save data twice now

PotrikBerger

Got game on release, played as a samurai, got up to level 30. Fell sleep with PlayStation on, woke up next day, it hadn’t entered est mode and all Elden ring data has been lost.

start all over again yesterday. This time as an astrologer (wow, it is so so so much easier with a magic user). This time get up to level 44, so making good progress. Fell asleep again, PlayStation did go to rest mode, but have lost all save data AGAIN!!

now I was absolutely loving this game, but I just can’t take starting a third time only for it all to be lost. Please don’t reply telling me to just close app and turn off PlayStation. If I was the type of person who did that, then I wouldn’t be here in first place. But that’s not the point. The point is that going into rest mode shouldn’t mean it results in there being no trace of any save file at all, ever.

why doesn’t this game save properly. I went into save data management whilst my game was running to upload a copy to cloud after my first incident, and it doesn’t even seem to create a save file on the PlayStation even when it is running in normal.

how can we back up saves? This is my question. If I’m starting a third play through I want to back it up every couple of hours. How do I save it to the cloud on a semi regular basis? I will go to sleep without turning the PlayStation off again. I just will. So I need a way to backup saves

Thanks husky, but like I said, however much I endeavour to do that, there will be a time when I don’t. I mean I’ve had the ps5 since launch and it’s gone into rest mode many many more times than I’ve turned it off manually. I’m just not that person. I was hoping for responses which are more than just don’t let it go into rest mode.

so we really cannot back up saves etc. I’m feeling a bit gutted that I may not be able to play this

It's a known bug and they're working on it. For now you can avoid it by closing the game before putting the PS5 in rest mode.
Also quitting and closing down the game from time to time makes the saves 'stick'.

If you have PSPlus you can backup/sync your saves to the cloud after closing the game.
Backing up PS5 saves to USB is not possible and that's so stupid :( 

• About the phenomenon of game data that does not save correctly in the PlayStation 5 version
    • If the PS5 console is unexpectedly turned off while playing a game or in rest mode, saved data may not be saved correctly.
    • We are aware of the cause of this issue and are working on a patch to correct it, but until the patch is released, please save your game manually by exiting the game regularly.
    • Game data will be saved correctly if you quit the game by opening the system menu using the OPTION button and selecting "Quit Game,” then press the HOME button to return to the PS5 home screen and quit the game application once.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

• Like 2

Thanks dudes.

i exited the game lots of times during my 2nd attempt. Whilst playing , I’d go a site of grace, then close game from menu, then close game all together, before opening it all up again to continue.

this hasn’t made anything stick. I fell asleep again last night with ps running. Woke up this morning and Elden ring save data is non existent. Again.

so this rumour about going in and out of the game will force it to save, in my experience at least, makes no difference if you still happen to leave ps on 

2 hours ago, Kolm said:

It's a known bug and they're working on it. For now you can avoid it by closing the game before putting the PS5 in rest mode.
Also quitting and closing down the game from time to time makes the saves 'stick'.

If you have PSPlus you can backup/sync your saves to the cloud after closing the game.
Backing up PS5 saves to USB is not possible and that's so stupid :( 

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

they already released the patch which should fix that.
technically the game is garbage.

1 minute ago, sealightbreeze said:

So this glitch is only in rest mode then? 

For me it is at least. Others have reported hard crashes whilst they playing, but ve managed to get a character to lvl 30 and then again another to lvl 44 (so a fair bit of gameplay time) and I have never had the game crash whilst playing.

just leaving the ps on overnight has made my game save data disappear twice, two nights in a row

Not really seeing the problem here, it sucks that it's happened to you twice so I feel your pain my dude, but you now know that there is a bug and it causes this to happen so it's now on you not to get hit by it. The original post was warranted as you didn't know but now you do so this doesn't need to turn into a 40 comment thread lol.

While I appreciate that it shouldn't happen to begin with and I agree with you, the reality is, it does happen until there is a confirmed fix so if you fall asleep and it happens again there is no one to blame but yourself. I can't comprehend that people play games until they literally fall asleep mid jump or whatever. This has never happened to me in the 28 years that i've been alive, if I am tired I stop playing and go to sleep it's as simple as that lol

• Like 4

Just now, Ac3dUd3- said:

Not really seeing the problem here, it sucks that it's happened to you twice so I feel your pain my dude, but you now know that there is a bug and it causes this to happen so it's now on you not to get hit by it. The original post was warranted as you didn't know but now you do so this doesn't need to turn into a 40 comment thread lol.

While I appreciate that it shouldn't happen to begin with and I agree with you, the reality is, it does happen until there is a confirmed fix so if you fall asleep and it happens again there is no one to blame but yourself. I can't comprehend that people play games until they literally fall asleep mid jump or whatever. This has never happened to me in the 28 years that i've been alive, if I am tired I stop playing and go to sleep it's as simple as that lol

I understand your position, and it’s an obvious response. 

What can I say other than I understand this is a behavioural issue with how I play games. It’s not like I play until falling asleep, but I’m 38 years old and I’ve spent 20 odd years just changing the channel to watch sports, or a movie....or later in life so my children can watch a YouTube video of someone opening toy eggs...

i can try and be vigilant for next few days/weeks but at some point I WILL change that input to watch premier league or something, the evening will continue and soon enough I’ll forget the ps is on. I don’t want that 3rd time to happen a month from now when I’m a couple of trophies away from the platinum. It’s a behaviour learned over two decades. At some point I’m gonna leave the ps on again, I’m almost defenceless against it happening again at some point.

It just sucks big time that the biggest difficulty spike I’ve met is just getting the game to save safely and securely.

• Like 1

Disable restmode? I personally dont like restmode at all. Only making possible Problems more likely to occure. I lost 40gb of savegames on my ps4 because the power was shut down while in Restmode and the harddrive was damaged so that i had to format it.

1 minute ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

You would probably be best to just disable rest mode altogether so you know you won't lose that save data then.

OMG

sucha simple plan and one I have been completely blind to since waking up, gutted that I’d lost it all again

thank you! Lol, sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees. I’m inspired to start it all up again tonight with a sense of confidence!,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said here - but this ^ did make me laugh - trust me m'dude, I wouldn't have been able to comprehend it either when I was 28, but ever since I turned 35 or so, this happens with shocking regularity!

I guess at a certain point, your body stops warning you ahead of time, and just nopes out of consciousness the moment a cutscene or loading screen happens...

Just you wait....

8TYDYEJ.gif

1f602.png

This has happened to me when I was just 20... :c

Anyway, as others have said, probably best to disable it from entering rest mode automatically for now, until it's ever fixed. Really sucks losing your progress twice in a Souls game, so you have my sympathy. Seems to have PS+ so definitely back up your saves manually whenever you're done playing from now on, just to be on the safe side.

I've had issues with rest mode on PS4 as well if I leave a game running (it's caused some games to crash on me, and ended up killing my hubby's external HDD), so I never do it any more unless it's absolutely necessary, but then I normally just leave the console on instead. Sad to see there's even more issues with PS5's rest mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

This has happened to me when I was just 20... :c

Anyway, as others have said, probably best to disable it from entering rest mode automatically for now, until it's ever fixed. Really sucks losing your progress twice in a Souls game, so you have my sympathy. Seems to have PS+ so definitely back up your saves manually whenever you're done playing from now on, just to be on the safe side.

I've had issues with rest mode on PS4 as well if I leave a game running (it's caused some games to crash on me, and ended up killing my hubby's external HDD), so I never do it any more unless it's absolutely necessary, but then I normally just leave the console on instead. Sad to see there's even more issues with PS5's rest mode.

Thanks for the empathy. The real pain is playing the same areas and same bosses over and over....I just want to get deep in the world.....I am becoming pretty good at the first tutorial boss though lol

the only real silver lining is that when going online after the first data loss to find out what happened, I came across different suggestions for builds. I’d never been anything but melee in any born game Ive played. But the 2nd time I tried as magic. And the difference is unreal. It’s like a different game. Not 100% sure it’s better (definitely more fun in battles with melee),  but it’s definitely quicker. Much much quicker. So at least I might be able to get back what I lost the 2nd time in a day or 2

• Like 1

I've had it crash on me 3 times now, total. Once, similarly, I had fallen asleep playing, and when I woke up, found it to be off, and unplugged PS5, replugged and powered on, to find my save data big rip. Then I realized it doesn't seem to upload or update the save file until the game closes, or maybe goes to main menu? (wondering now, is it just pulling the last save from the cloud when recovering?) I had checked to make sure cloud backup was on, and it was. Had it happen another time specifically putting it into rest mode, before knowing of this issue, to find that my PS5 crashed again.

Last night it happened to me, when I was playing. I played for about an hour and a half, staying up late to finish a mini dungeon. Was on my way outside to grace-tp to safety to turn it off for the night, and while on the elevator, opened map, and boom, crashed. Might have tried going to PS dashboard to look at something quickly, but I don't remember. Reloaded PS5 to look at the timestamp on my cloud save, and all that progress gone. It's not too awful, considering I know where to go again, and what to expect...

From now on, I'm gonna just restart PS5 before playing, try to exit game often enough to make sure stuff saves, and try not to fall asleep playing lol. Sucks though, I can't be sure to remember everything I did and where I went... But it'll be the most I can do to prevent the issue until resolution.

2 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

As a new PS5 owner, the shittiest thing I learned from this thread is that Sony are assholes for not allowing saves to be transferred to a USB stick, there by locking and super basic thing behind a paywall. 

PS4 was also not allow i guess but after some point they allow it via update. I expected PS5 to be the same later after maybe PS5 supply no longer an issue and tons of ppl complain about it so they are "listening" to the feedback i guess.

3 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

As a new PS5 owner, the shittiest thing I learned from this thread is that Sony are assholes for not allowing saves to be transferred to a USB stick, there by locking and super basic thing behind a paywall. 

A big reason to stop it was so that save files for PS5 saves cant be hacked or modified