Feature suggestion: Add time played beside games

The time played isn't accurate even on the console itself, so i can't see an API fix it.

Mhw save file says 2058h, console says 986

GT7 in game time says 80h, console 68

Elden ring save 125h, console 72

In never put the console offline so psn should be able to track it properly but that's not the case. I would say only 60% of my games have correct times, the rest is just way off.

But i would like the feature added anyway even if not accurate on every game.

Edited by Zmx969

Great to see that some of you are up to it! 

On 30/03/2022 at 6:28 PM, Zmx969 said:

The time played isn't accurate even on the console itself, so i can't see an API fix it.

Mhw save file says 2058h, console says 986

GT7 in game time says 80h, console 68

Elden ring save 125h, console 72

In never put the console offline so psn should be able to track it properly but that's not the case. I would say only 60% of my games have correct times, the rest is just way off.

But i would like the feature added anyway even if not accurate on every game.

I agree but it is a good indicator. Even though it isn't perfect some part of match and shows us a metric to acknowledge the effort put into the game.

Instead of a time in hours we could think about a grade based on the majority of the people of played the game, like the trophies actually. 

In my opinion this is something that could really add value into the community. 

On 30/03/2022 at 5:24 PM, amurnin100 said:

100% on board with this and help identify any anomalies in trophies…

Hell no. The numbers are extremely inaccurate sometimes, on both external websites as well as PSN itself. That would turn into a shitfest.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

It'll definitely be awkward when my Skyrim VR or Borderlands 2 VR records say they took me 3 days each, but my PS4 thinks that I've never touched PSVR in my life 1f636.png

Would most likely show normal numbers, more precisely:

BL2 VR 70/70 - 42.55h

BL2 VR 49/70 - 47.22h

Skyrim VR - 53.25h

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Would most likely show normal numbers, more precisely:

BL2 VR 70/70 - 42.55h

BL2 VR 49/70 - 47.22h

Skyrim VR - 53.25h

Silly question, but if you play the game offline / not signed into PSN, won’t this affect gameplay time , can’t imagine it would store gameplay time and sync to Sonys servers when you go log in ?

Just now, amurnin100 said:

can’t imagine it would store gameplay time and sync to Sonys servers when you go log in 1f914.png

Why can't you imagine this? They already do this with other data including trophies.

The only issues I can see come from having multiple consoles and switching between them. Not sure how they handle this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Why can't you imagine this? They already do this with other data including trophies.

The only issues I can see come from having multiple consoles and switching between them. Not sure how they handle this.

Forgive me, just wondering how it works, even it is from multiple consoles , providing it’s from the same save, they should add up to the correct gameplay time. I’m intrigued on how some times are inaccurate ?

No this is a stupid idea for many reasons..

- Other non gametimes are also added, like if you go for a piss / sending a message to a friend etc, time still accumulates for the time you are not playing but when your console is left on

- Do we honestly trust the devs/Sony to have this information accurate/secure?

- It's easy to fake, I mean there's nothing stopping you playing a game offline, backing up your save to a cloud quickly and then formatting your system and loading your save from the cloud. These stats are like auto syncing with trophies and not reliable and nobody knows exactly when it happens (for me it never happens when I am connected to the playstation store even when set to auto)

- It will end up just being an excuse used by cheaters

"Oh I earned that trophy too fast did I? Aha got you! Look at my playtime it's over 100 hours!"

(Who knows if they just left their console playing in the main menu for 95 hours)

On the plus side, if the staff at psnprofiles do have this PS5 data from users, it should be kept hidden and used specifically as a second opinion to a cheater dispute that is difficult to tell if cheating occurred.

Edited by enaysoft

Not all the numbers are 100% accurate for me (I wonder if it's slow to update the hours played) but it's an OK litmus indicator. I'd be more interested in seeing this implemented for a This Game has an average of XX hours played - sort of thing, counting only for those who got platinum.

Edited by Eraezr

20 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Not all the numbers are 100% accurate for me (I wonder if it's slow to update the hours played) but it's an OK litmus indicator. I'd be more interested in seeing this implemented for a This Game has an average of XX hours played - sort of thing, counting only for those who got platinum.

I agree that a aggregation by game could be a great way of having a relatively good insight. Otherwise it could be great to have hours shown only to the owner of the PSN account.

Displaying my time played in a game serves no purpose whatsoever.  It's just a feature for nosy people.  doesn't anybody have any value of privacy anymore?  the times are largely incorrect on exophase. I personally leave my game on and take showers, go to the store, walk my dog all while the time counter is running on how long i played the game so the whole concept is stupid and insignificant information anyway. 

I support it. Seeing the time next to a game can help people realize how much time goes into some titles. Both for the plat and well past it. For example, with the new Fallguys list, I think people may feel a little better seeing someone spend a couple of hundred hours in the title versus just logging in for the free plat.

That said, some of the times are flat-out wrong. Most are fine, but there are definitely inaccuracies.

• Like 1