Buy Ps3 or wait for Playstation Plus Premium (Spartacus)?

Kingpainx2

So i have been on a tales of series binge recently and i have made it a goal of mine to platinum all the tales games that i can. i have already got the plat for arise,zestiria,vesperia, and berseria. i am about to start to go for the tales of hearts r plat soon. what i have been pondering is the ps3 era tales games. since i dont have a ps3 and missed that era due to being on xbox at the time it has left me wanting to play some of the games i didn't get to play back then especially jrpgs. 

Money isn't really a problem for me so buying the console and games wouldn't be a big deal in my case. the thing is this ps spartacus has made me pause on just buying it because all the games i want to play may just be put on there in a few months if it adds more games from previous generations (i havent seen a list on what games will be on it i am just speculating).

So i guess what i am asking is would buying a ps3 and owning the games directly from the console be worth it even in 2022. or should i just wait and see if the ps spartacus just ends up adding all the games in one place?

• Like 1

If money's no problem for you, I'd say buy it. Playing locally is always better than streaming and you never know if they will put the games you want on the service, and even if they do, they might later remove them.

I'd rather always have control of my own games.

• Like 2

Unless you are in a real rush to get to this then I'd say wait. See the initial batch of PS3 games that will be included in the higher tiers and decide it if's worth it then to pay the extra 60 (annually) or buy a PS3 and the cost of each game, albeit pretty cheap, will probably add up. You can probably assume most, if not all PS NOW PS3 games will be included.

12 minutes ago, Rowuar- said:

"spartacus" was already revealed and will not have retrocompatibility, you better buy a ps3

wait really im not doubting you or anything its just i thought they would reveal what games will be on the platform in june. if that is true then i would definitely buy a ps3. does anyone know which model is the best i know there is a super slim model but i dont really know which one is the best.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patrin18 said:

Unless you are in a real rush to get to this then I'd say wait. See the initial batch of PS3 games that will be included in the higher tiers and decide it if's worth it then to pay the extra 60 (annually) or buy a PS3 and the cost of each game, albeit pretty cheap, will probably add up. You can probably assume most, if not all PS NOW PS3 games will be included.

i am not really in a rush per say but i have wanted a ps3 for awhile since i have all other playstations 1,2,4,and 5. so i kind of wanted the ps3 also to finish off the collection. i also collect games by series in physical form (though mostly buy digital) i should have put that in my original post.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kingpainx2 said:

i am not really in a rush per say but i have wanted a ps3 for awhile since i have all other playstations 1,2,4,and 5. so i kind of wanted the ps3 also to finish off the collection. i also collect games by series in physical form (though mostly buy digital) i should have put that in my original post.

I mean Spartacus will have PS3 games but you'll have to stream them. I've tried that with PSNow already and I'm not a fan of how it plays, so I got a PS3 a couple of months ago and I don't regret it at all! It's definitely a slooowww system but if you want to collect your games physical then getting a PS3 is a must imo.

15 hours ago, Kingpainx2 said:

Oh for the collection reasoning I would definitely buy a PS3. I have all 5 launch concoles (all working too!) 1, 2 and 4 no longer used - PS3 for games until the new service is out. But it does look nice having them shelved together.

I have 2 fat PS3's that I added larger hard drives to a long time ago. The Video on one finally went out this year. I use the other one every once in a while. I have a slim that my kid uses and he has had no problems with that. I have a super slim that is hardly used, however the last couple of times I have used it sometimes it wants to read a disc and sometimes not. So I'd say I certainly have thousands of hours on the fat ones. 

• 4 weeks later...

here in Germany u can get a ps3 for like 100-150€ and tons of used ps3 games for dirt, PS Plus Premium alone costs 120€ a year, if you dont have super light speed internet, i wouldnt recommmend going for the streaming service.

I have 1 Gig download still the PS Now struggled sometimes to play properly.

Plus u can resell the physical games or trade them,thus u r able to save more money or keep the games and actually own them :)

• Like 1

I'd say both. PS3's are cheap and a lot of games are either not backwards compatible or look better on the old console. However, there has been times where I had to use PSNow for a game as my PS3 couldn't handle it (Fallout NV as an example). 

1 hour ago, R4M Razr said:

For me this is a no-brainer. PS3 consoles are dirt cheap, so are used games. Plus, most games will never be available for streaming due to licensing issues.

Man, where I'm at, PS3's have gone up 2-2.5x in price since before covid. They used to be $80, now they run $150-$200. Games have also shot up in price (Still plenty of cheap ones, but not what they were before. Hell, the cheap sports games that used to be $.0.50 are now $5.00. I'm sure it will settle more, but I think people finally realized what gems the PS3 and 360 were.

OP- Get a PS3!

• Like 2

As the PS3 games won't be on sale anymore (in my opinion), maybe it'll cost u lots of money to buy either physical or digital copies. But i won't trust the streaming way so i still recommend you to buy a PS3 console anyway.

If you're not tight on money, go for a PS3.

There will be tons of titles not available on PS Plus Premium, and you won't have to rely only on streaming.

If you are planning on the new services but don't have too much extra money, the streaming should suffice. 

Definitely go for a PS3 (there's a gorgeous Tales of Xillia one if you want to be all thematic. I got one cheap off Y!Japan Auctions myself).

I've kinda been putting off Tales games on PS3 since I was hoping the success of Arise would prompt Bamco to re-release some of the older titles (since "remasters are in") but with them, who knows.