Trophies for Mental Health II

3 hours ago, Inuty said:

I join. Not sure what i should play but maybe a game i will play have the same theme :)

Not sure if i overread it, but is my understanding correct that we will have time until the end of May? @Beyondthegrave07

Yup, just needs to be in May. Any time zone is fine, but I would prefer it to be in your time zone (so you see it done in May on your profile), but I am not going to twist anyone's arm.

22 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

I'd like to join, is Immortals Fenyx Rising alright? It deals with some pretty serious mental health issues for each "chapter".

As long as you can discuss and write about it afterwards, it works.

5 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

I would like to join this myself! I'm looking over the games I am playing, wanna play and such and coming up a little blank on what to play, Celeste I could do and one I'm uncertain of but looking it up I can see one character is suffering from mental health issues. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens since Kylo Ren suffers from personality disorder. If that one does count I could then use it to get my backside moving and 100% the Skywalker saga too hehe.

Lego Star wars does not work. The game never actually discusses it and as someone else mentioned it, it's a lighthearted, silly game that doesn't actually tackle any mental health aspects.

Celeste will 100% work though. It's a great game, easy pick!

5 hours ago, s68sc said:

and I don't know if it count i got FF XIII ready to go. 

This should work. A lot of characters go through some grieving and are mentally affected by the events. Sahz and him going through the problems with his son definitely work. I also think Snow, Lightning, and Hope could all work too.  Lightning and Snow are a bit more obscure though.

• Like 2

Count my quixotic me in for this second edition again! ?

I am with this masterpiece called Bloodborne right now, where I see a perfect connection with mental health. However, I am not sure of it counts as it is an already started game and all. If not, I will try to find another one ?

Just now, Quixotesque said:

Count my quixotic me in for this second edition again! ?

I am with this masterpiece called Bloodborne right now, where I see a perfect connection with mental health. However, I am not sure of it counts as it is an already started game and all. If not, I will try to find another one ?

It works, just wait until May 1st before you pop your final trophy.

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

Hello, I'd like to join as well.

I'm gonna start with Returnal DLC.

Question: does Bugsnax count?

Does Bugsnax count for which one? Regardless, I've never played it so I don't know. Someone else would have to answer it.

My advice for the mental health game would be to not try to stick a circle into a square hole because if your description sounds like bullshit, I probably won't count it. The point of the event is to reflect on mental health and for the event to be thought-provoking if you know what I mean.

Also note that I will only take 2 submitted games total. This means once you submit your second game, you're done. I don't want a scenario where someone is constantly submitting games with slightly lower %s. The %s don't make a huge difference in the calculation so I want to save a bit of my sanity here. ?

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Spacing

1 minute ago, Deluziion90 said:

Would love to join but I have no clue what games I can use to contribute to this event.

For anyone going for this event I would suggest these games.

A must play! #1 Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 

#2 Child of Light

#3 Gris

I'm sure if you list some of your backlog, someone could probably help you. ;)

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Noice!

You reckon either one would fit for the event?

In regards of The Longest Road On Earth, the stories within that game are dialogue-free and rely on personal interpretation, so while the game doesn't focus on mental health exactly, there are definitely some connections. However, like I say, it's down to personal interpretation and how you feel the story links to you as the player. I don't want to spoil anything and go into any specifics, but you can definitely learn from each character in the individual stories. (I hope that makes sense, it's one of those games not many people know but regardless of whether it counts for the event, I'd recommend it as a chilled out game to pass a few hours anyway)

As for Road 96, I'd say yes to some extent, again avoiding specifics, but given the premise of the storylines and what the characters have to endure, depending on your choices. There is definitely connections to mental health and how certain experiences affect people. 

In short, I'd say yes (personal opinion) to both in some ways, but both are worth playing, regardless of whether they count or not. 

You might have a better understanding in your own mind when/if you play them, but that's just my 2 cents on a couple of obscure titles. Apologies for such a long answer lol :lol:

_____

Count me in for this event, gives me a reason to get round to finishing Last Day Of June (I had to stop playing a few months ago for personal reasons, but might be good to finish it off)

Edited by StygianWolf4
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Does Bugsnax count for which one? Regardless, I've never played it so I don't know. Someone else would have to answer it.

For mental health topic. One could argue the game deals with topic of addiction. [1] [2]

I was mostly just curious if you guys think it fits the theme.

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

For mental health topic. One could argue the game deals with topic of addiction. [1] [2]

I'd say that it fits, I think a very big undertone of the game is how mental health affects each character

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

I'd say it fits the theme, but out of curiosity, would it count if I've done the platinum already but haven't completed the DLC or would I have to break out my PS4 copy and do the PS4 platinum?

49 minutes ago, StygianWolf4 said:

I'd say it fits the theme, but out of curiosity, would it count if I've done the platinum already but haven't completed the DLC or would I have to break out my PS4 copy and do the PS4 platinum?

Can't be DLC only. @HusKy, idk if that means it's unusable for you or not.

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Can't be DLC only. @HusKy, idk if that means it's unusable for you or not.

Wait, why does DLC not count?

Earn a platinum or 100% on a game that tackles mental health issues or mental illnesses.

Returnal has only 1 DLC -- if I finish it, I will reach 100% completion. Same with Bugsnax that @StygianWolf4 asked about.

Does 100% apply to only non-platinum games?

Edited by HusKy

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Wait, why does DLC not count?

Returnal has only 1 DLC -- if I finish it, I will reach 100% completion. Same with Bugsnax that @StygianWolf4 asked about.

Does 100% apply to only non-platinum games?

I guess I'll count it, but some DLC are really short and don't actually address anything in regards to mental health, but as long as you explain it well, I'll count it.

8 minutes ago, StygianWolf4 said:

Understood. I might stick with Last Day Of June in that case. 

As I mentioned in a post after it, I'll allow DLC only, but I would really expect someone to play the full game for a discussion. Not just a "let's earn trophies asap to be done with it" sort of thing. It also obscures the % to use for the calc to donate as well.

I got lucky that my last game "The Wild at Heart", which I finished yesterday morning, had some good topics to think about. The game is a Pikmin like game were you micro manage different monster species with unique abilities. I can only think of Pikmin and Overlord if you want some references what kind f game this is :) 

You are playing as Wake and Kirby who are running away from home in the forest and finding themself in the deepest part of the forest in which normally no human is allowed to enter.

Since the mental health issues comes more clear after some storybits, I will mark my next thoughts as spoiler if someone wants to play it as well:

Spoiler

It is not clear in the beginning why Wake is running away from home at first, but it had something to do with his father. Kirby is an orphan without parents and decided to run away with Wake together since they are best friends. The main mental health part in the game is in regards to Wake and his father. In some flashbacks over the time you see that Wakes mother died and his father is giving up on himself only watching TV and old videos of the happy family they were. He can´t look at Wake because he reminds him so much of his wife and you cleary see, that he has no one with whom he can talk about his emotional problems. The same goes for Wake as he don´t know how to deal with the loss of his mother. He runs away because in his opinion his father doesn´t care about him in any way any longer and don´t see that he himself needs his father as well as the father needs him to process the death of the loved person.

For me it shows a particular scenario which I am facing myself sometimes. You don´t want to bother people with your emotional problems because you don´t want them to feel bad or you don´t think they can help you at all with this. But with this you can hurt another person as well because they don´t understand some of your actions you are doing or why you are in a particular mood since you keep it all for yourself. The father don´t want to talk with his 12 year old child to don´t make im worry but the result is the opposite and he is hurting him more then he tries to protect him. In the end Wake is understanding because of the support of Kirby, that his father needs him as much as he wished his father was there for him. 

All in all a loss of a loved one can break you and you can get mental health issues out of it. You need to have the courage to talk about it with people and don´t feel like you distrub them with your inner sadness. Otherwise you will break yourself with it and the people around you.

Like last year thanks to @Beyondthegrave07 for organizing the event. I think it is a wonderful way to combine a serious topic with the hobby you enjoy.

• Like 2