Outlast Insane: Your triumphs and woes

ShadowGandalf

It irks me to admit, it probably took me 10-15 times to do this. All of my failed attempts came either right before the showers or in the big open sewer area where you have to sneak past Chris and make the ladder jump. However, once I nailed the ladder jump (I think I fucked that up 3 or 4 times), I did not die anymore after that and got my trophy last night.

Get past the first 25 minutes, follow the guide, and it's cake after that

For me it was actually cake to get up to 25 mins lol 

I played perfectly up to the male ward, freaking doctor killed me about 6 times and after I ''nailed'' him I still died at the hands of Chris Walker after Priest burned himself... Then I got the whole way to billy perfectly and failed the last jump and I was like '' Whatafak '' After that I finally got it

• Like 2

My real problem is that sprint isn't on toggle but on hold, and the very final section (mountain base, chased by g-g-ghost) really hurts my thumb, and this dumb stick slips away. I'll either do it with remote play or wait until my X1 sticks arrive.

Also, I usually botch the jumps into the ventilation system. Say, if I have to climb on a box and then jump, you're damn sure I'mm stumble off the damn box instead of reaching for the edge. Wish me luck.

Note: PULITZER was my 100th Gold Trophy. Shoulder pats all around.

Edited by Dciaran

My real problem is that sprint isn't on toggle but on hold, and the very final section (mountain base, chased by g-g-ghost) really hurts my thumb, and this dumb stick slips away. I'll either do it with remote play or wait until my X1 sticks arrive.

Also, I usually botch the jumps into the ventilation system. Say, if I have to climb on a box and then jump, you're damn sure I'mm stumble off the damn box instead of reaching for the edge. Wish me luck.

Note: PULITZER was my 100th Gold Trophy. Shoulder pats all around.

If your thumbs actually hurt, shouldn't you pause the game and do something else until it stops hurting.

I beat insane after i died near in the final (about 5 times) lol 
The game is easy the problem is that human beings commit mistakes and sometimes those mistakes pay expensive!  fustrating is passing the toughest parts of the game and die ... so stupid! At times it is necessary to have cold blood :) 

If your thumbs actually hurt, shouldn't you pause the game and do something else until it stops hurting.

I know, but you can't really pause while running away or you're gonna die. Anyway I have the X1 sticks now, and it's way better.

• 1 month later...

I think I am on my 8-9th try right now.

At this moment, I get all the way through the male ward with ease. 

Been dying at the female ward fuses a lot. If I get through that part without dying, then I have an easy path down to Walker after the priest burning. He seems to get me there quite a bit. I feel if I can get past that part, I should have the trophy.

Ill try this tonight again. I usually try this 3x per night. Pisses me off when I waste 3+ hrs a night with nothing to show for it though :(

EDIT:

It took 5 tries last night and finally got this damn trophy!

Edited by Axel-_A_-Ration

It took six times before I got it right. I was so stoked when I disabled Billy's failsafe and made it.

1) Miles got stuck in an area between prison blocks and sewer. I could not move and I had to restart. I was pissed!  :angry:

2) Good ol' Chris got me at dark prison block section. Note to self. "Do not run at walls"

3) Waist deep in the water + Darkness + Chris = 20 minutes wasted

4) Damn you, Chris Walker! I made a wrong call at sprinkler section.

5) Got killed in dark basement in the beginning of the game. It was embarrassing. 

6) Score! Gold trophy!

Personally I felt this difficulty didn't add anything to the game, just frustration. At least it was short. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was on the final chapter! I accidentally stopped sprinting for a SECOND and the Walrider killed after squeezing between the two pillars for the first time. I'm absolutely livid and this has left me incredibly sour with the game. Completely unfair in my opinion.

Oh boy, I remember doing this, never has my heart pumped harder when going for a single trophy.

I definitely recommend using PS4Trophies' guide for Insane, someone has linked it above. There are a few tricky spots, but eventually you'll be able to play the game almost blindfolded you'll know it that well.

Can't remember how many times I got to the very end and messed up the final jump, thus resulting in death and failure.

• 3 weeks later...

Attempt #1: My first attempt didn't go to well. I was constantly running out of batteries and getting lost. I ended up running out of batteries completely and died in the court yard. Walker grabed me.

Attempt #2: decided to use a guide to make thing a whole lot easier. Only parts I was close to dieing on, was the part in the sewers where your in the pool of water and have to get to the ladder In the middle. Walker saw me and almost got me. I also nearly died RIGHT AT THE VERY END. Once you turn off billy's life support you have to jump over from one platform to another at the very top of the building. Jumped to early and ALMOST didn't trigger the wall rider cutscene/Scripted event.

Got it done on my second attempt

The palms of my hands were sweating like crazy. And I nearly had a heart attack at some parts because of how intense this was...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now that the salt has subsided, I put my mind to it and earned this trophy.

I posted earlier in the forum in a very sour mood and you can see which death that was below!

Just earned this trophy, here's how it went for me.

Attempt 1) Trager killed me because I was trying to do the section too quickly. I wasn't far enough back in the corner when the "NOBODY!" scene happens. Upon entering the room, Trager did a 180 and stabbed me in the chest.

Attempt 2) Killed at the very beginning of the return to administration section. Turned right instead of sprinting down the corridor...because of this Walker saw me and I was forced into the first room on your left. GG Chris.

Attempt 3) Yet again, Trager! He killed me as I was removing one of the obstacles after a session of ring-a-ring-a-rosie around his area.

Attempt 4) Died in the female ward because I forgot a fuse! Honestly couldn't remember if the guy with the butcher's knife was hostile so I left and ended up in the arms of a psychopath.

Attempt 5) After you are pushed through a window thanks to an explosion, you fall into a pile of mutilated remains. I was told if you immediately run up the stairs upon arrival, you could actually bypass Chris Walker's patrol altogether. This is false.

Attempt 6) This was the one...easily the most infuriating death... I died in the underground lab because I stopped sprinting for a second and the Walrider killed me. Damn it.

I took a short break here as I needed to cool down... 

Attempt 7) Victory! I pretty much had a flawless run, no slip-ups anywhere! I was very nervous in the underground lab though because of my earlier death. I made sure to practice Trager on nightmare mode because I couldn't find a bomb proof strategy but my practice paid off. I can safely say I've never been so happy to earn a trophy!

Edited by ClubSoda98

• 2 months later...

I did it on my first try , BUT i played it on nightmare a couple of times to master the enemy movements and also used the PS4 trophies insane guide  :lol:

Insane mode has a different kind of scare , trying to acutally survive thru every encounter without dying.But once it's done, there are no words to describe the feeling  :P

Now.. whistleblower insane run  :dance:

• 5 months later...

I have lost track of the amount of attempts. I continually die at the fuses part because I'll take a wrong turn or rush when I really shouldn't...

UPDATE!!!: I just completed the insane mode of the base game! You guys were not kidding about the rush you get from finishing it. Too bad I absolutely hate horror games. Onto the DLC.  :S  :blink: 

Edited by TristanBrown17

• 4 months later...

I remember when doing this in a while back. After you exit the church like room when the pastor does something quite remarkable, it's not too long before you meet Chris Walker in a hallway. I hid in a toilet in the dark. Mind you, this is extremely close to the end and the final time you encounter him. For some reason he saw me and absolutely destroyed me. I was absolutely devastated. Got the achievement two hours later. 

• 1 month later...

Took me about 20-25 tries.  Definitely one of the most intense, nerve-wracking experiences I've had with a video game.  Still, there's no way I would have done it if I didn't love the game.  I thought Insane mode was fun; I loved the rush I got from it.  Unlike with a certain sequel, when I died it was usually my fault.

Some of my more depressing/hilarious attempts and failures: 

1) I missed the jump during the Variant chase before reaching Trager.  I'd never died there before.  Pure nerves.  I launched early and plummeted to my demise.  It's really disheartening when you die from a failed jump.    

2) For some reason Trager gave me the most trouble of any section in the game.  Probably half of my failures occurred during his sequence, and I never die there when I'm playing on Nightmare.  I think what happened was that I died there once, then twice, and then it became a "big deal" in my mind, leading me to get more and more finicky every time I reached Trager.  

One time, during the second, toughest section with Trager, I tried a strategy I'd never tried before based on a walkthrough.  Usually I do what Ps4Trophies does: bait him into the room with the body, shut the door in his face on the way out, and then push the thing out of the way and home free.  This walkthrough I saw, however, also shut the first door in his face, and I thought, "Hm, okay, more time to run is a good thing."  But it's not.  Or rather it is, if you actually get more time.  I shut the door, ran through the room, shut the second door, started to push the thing, and then within a half second Trager killed me.  Instead of busting through the first door, he looped around and went through the hallway.  Derp.  

On another go I went with my usual strategy but when I tried to shut the door behind me I wound up shutting it in my face.  That didn't end well.  

And more in that stupid vein.  

3) In the sequence when you fall on the bodies after the explosion and have to run by Walker around the prison cells... yeah, usually I just run up the stairs and hop over the railing to the right and bolt.  On one attempt, instead of jumping over the railing, Miles decided to just jump straight in the air in some sort of premature victory celebration.  Little piggy died ugly.  

5) In the sequence late in the game when you have to sprint down the hallway in Walker's direction and enter a door to your left to head up a vent shaft, I completely forgot it was a "danger" situation.  By the time the chase music started blaring it was too late.

6) Not technically a failure because I didn't die, but ridiculous nonetheless: in the dark sewer section where you have to walk along the walls to elude Walker, I made it to the catwalk you jump up onto in order to then jump to the ladder.  I jumped up, made a jump for the ladder - fail.  Panicking, because the music is blaring and I hear Walker grunting, I jump back up, make another attempt for the ladder - fail.  I try to jump back up and fail.  At this point I think I'm toast, but then I notice Walker had actually gone up the stairs to get me during my second failed attempt for the ladder.  He then started to head back down to grab me in the water, luckily, so I hopped back up and finally made the leap to the ladder.

I had a few unlucky/lucky moments like that during my successful run.  All in good fun, I guess.   

• 5 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

youtubers: OUTLAST INSANE NO BED NO LOCKER NO BATTERY NO CRANBERRY JUICE NO CAMERA NO FLASHLIGHT SPEEDRUN IN ONE HOUR [WORLD RECORD]

me: 40 mins into the game on normal, let's go turn on the power in the basement!

The cranberry juice is where i draw the line.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Insane Mode yesterday :)

Got it on my fourth try.

Played through the game on normal when it came out and once more a week ago to collect all notes and documents.

Prepared myself with a few youtube-videos and tried it without doing an extra run on nightmare.

First time I died already in the prison block, because I was streaming for a buddy and kinda got confused with talking, listening and playing at once :D

Second time I died out in the courtyard, when Walker seemed to appear out of nowhere (hate that part).

Third time down in the sewers in the waist-deep water, because he somehow got stuck on the stairs.

Fourth try was the charm for me. No problems whatsoever after the courtyard-part.

Now, off to Whistleblower :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know I'm late to the party with this game but I just got the trophy for beating it on insane difficulty and thought I'd share my failures also, especially since reading this thread motivated me to keep trying after a few failures of my own ?

Attempt #1: I couldn't believe how well this went for my first attempt. I made it all the way to the part with the 3 fuses without too much difficulty and was feeling a little too confident at this point (I was already imagining how good it would feel actually doing it first try) and so after grabbing the 3rd fuse I just wanted to run back to put them in, which was of course a poor choice as I immediately ran into the enemy and got hit once, then got hit again and killed right as I got past him and tried vaulting over the obstacle that was right there.

Attempt #2: This was easily my worst attempt as I was feeling rather frustrated after getting so far on my first attempt, so I was rushing a lot more than I should've and was eventually killed by Chris Walker in the sewers in one of the valve rooms after he burst through the door much quicker than I anticipated and killed me before I even had the chance to react.

Attempt #3: Not much better than my 2nd attempt as I still had a rather negative mindset and at this point honestly thought that my first attempt was as far as I'd ever get. So I still wasn't playing very smart and I was killed again in the sewers by Chris Walker but this time in the flooded section after I took a pretty poor route and ended up running straight into him.

Attempt #4: After attempt #3 I decided to have a break for an hour or two and think about whether or not I'd actually be able to pull this off. This break helped me collect myself and I could now play in a much calmer state of mind which helped immensely as I had no real issues up until the final encounter with Chris Walker after Father Martin is burned. Instead of hiding in the bathroom like I should've, I completely panicked and ended up running as far as I could, cornering myself in the process and getting killed, at least this was a mistake I knew not to make again ?

Attempt #5: Success! I retained my calm, positive mindset from my 4th attempt and at this point felt pretty comfortable that I could pull it off, which thankfully I did despite the fact that my heart was racing every time the Walrider was chasing me at the end, especially on the part leading up to that jump at the top of the stairs.

So having the right mindset was key for me, although of course practicing to the point that you know every inch of the game also felt absolutely necessary, any time I was in trouble I eventually always knew what to do even though there was still some close calls. It really is a fantastic feeling when you finally do it though, although I still have the DLC and Outlast 2 to play so I am hoping to have a slightly easier time with those ?

shaneyboy619.png

• Like 1