It's a best selling game, but is the road to platinum fun?

Wavergray

Is the platinum fun to go for?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is the platinum fun to go for?

actually voted 'hard to say', despite loving the game to bits. The main reason being that while I found the gameplay heaps of fun, the story is an emotional rollercoaster and can get very (intentionally) draining due to the subject matter. This can in turn make the game a bit of a slog to get through. But I guess it all depends on you. 

If you're talking about difficulty then you can make the game as easy as you like. There are no difficulty related trophies in the base list and overall it's an easy enough game to platinum even without playing on easy or taking advantage of various assist settings. Hope that helps!

Edited by Stevieboy
unnecessary comment
  • Like 2

Seeing as this game has accessibility options out the wazoo and the Platinum can be earned while playing on the lowest difficulty, it is a fairly easy game to Platinum. As to fun though, this game left me utterly emotionally drained. It's a good game with some great moments but I felt it was too long. If you want the 100%, play your first run on the easiest difficulty with chapter permadeath then ng+ on grounded using the glitch to activate tweaks. 

It's an easy platinum, not a very fun one as the trophy list is basically just play the game and get all the collectibles. There are a ton of collectibles and the game is quite long so it's a slog to get through especially when you have to take constant detours to get collectibles. 

And you have to do at least a partial NG+ run to get all the upgrades too. The story in this game doesn't warrant playing it again, you experience it once and that's enough for a lifetime, it's not like the first game that had much higher replay-ability. The first game I probably played 10 times all the way through, completed on grounded multiple times just for fun on the PS3, this game I played once and had no desire to ever play it again until I go for the grounded and permadeath trophies which is what I'm currently working on and it sucks. Not only is grounded mode significantly harder in Part II, but its reminding me why I never had the desire to come back to this game to begin with and why I put it off so long. It's hard to explain until you play it yourself to see why Part I and Part II are so different and while Part II has incredible game design and gameplay, even better than Part I in most aspects, but there's a reason why most people largely prefer Part I over Part II regardless. 

With all that said, Part II is definitely worth experiencing at least once. It's a brilliant game with a lot of thought and care put into it, much more than 99% of other games that get released. Even though I didn't personally enjoy the experience all that much, I'm still glad I did experience it if that makes any sense. If you have any respect for the art of video games, then this game is an absolute must-play whether you end up liking it or not. 

Edited by mega-tallica

I've had to remove 9 posts and edit 2. Not bad going for a thread with only 15 posts in it total. It took only until the 2nd post (1st reply) for this thread to be derailed.

Keep this thread on-topic about how fun the road to platinum is, and stop the arguing.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

Seeing as this game has accessibility options out the wazoo and the Platinum can be earned while playing on the lowest difficulty, it is a fairly easy game to Platinum. As to fun though, this game left me utterly emotionally drained. It's a good game with some great moments but I felt it was too long. If you want the 100%, play your first run on the easiest difficulty with chapter permadeath then ng+ on grounded using the glitch to activate tweaks. 

Do you feel like those accessibility options make the plat less enticing since anyone can theoretically go for it? I always like those features to make things more accessible for people that truly need it, but definitely see that it can tank a games rarity when people use it.

I voted ‘Hard to Say’ because it really depends on what makes a fun platinum for you personally, as well as your feelings on the game itself.

For me, I had way more fun platinuming the first game. The game and story really blew me away at the time, and the platinum was quite challenging which made earning all the trophies a lot of fun. Even the grindy ass multiplayer portion ended up being quite fun as I teamed up with a great group of people from here on PSNP, and the Factions multiplayer is unlike any other MP game mode out there so we really tried to make the most of the grind and enjoy the time we spent boosting together. In fact, I did the PS4 stack again like a year or two back because I loved it so much the first time around. ?

TLOU2 is an infinitely easier game platinum than TLoU which might make it fun and appealing to a lot of people who just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a really gorgeous big budget AAA game that basically hands you the trophies simply for playing through it. But personally I didn’t like the game very much so having to suffer through it twice was a real slog. By the time I got to the DLC trophies I didn’t even hesitate to use the exploits for the Grounded+ and permadeath because by that point I had zero desire to push myself through a “ fun challenge” in a game that i just desperately wanted to move on from at that point and forget all about.

I enjoyed it a lot... the only "negatives" i guess is the length of story (pffft complaining about getting a long campaign in 2022 amirite?) since you have to play multiple times, collectibles and hardest difficulty playthrough, but even then accessibility options can make it easier.. maybe im just a simp for Naughty Dog but... if you liked the first one... i say go for the second

The post game can be annoying, the clean up and weapon trophy requires almost a whole second playthrough. however, overall, and weighing fun vs boredom, fun wins.

I enjoyed it. Just play through the game, grab a collectable guide if you want to and enjoy the game.

The upgrade trophys are kind of annoying since you need to play through the game until a certain point in NG+. But that can be done with cheats you unlocked after you finished the main game. Its actually fun to go through the hordes that gave you troubles before.

13 minutes ago, FreneticWave said:

It's easy but not fun. And that's because it's really boring to get all collectibles.

This. TLOU2 is great, but with the amount and quality of collectibles, the platinum feels like a chore. 

Honestly, it's best to play it blind, then do a collectible run. The game itself... It hits hard sometimes. Personally I loved the unconventional approach to the story, but overall i liked the original more. 

4 hours ago, Sora_Bug said:

Do you feel like those accessibility options make the plat less enticing since anyone can theoretically go for it? I always like those features to make things more accessible for people that truly need it, but definitely see that it can tank a games rarity when people use it.

Hmm

Firstly, I too am glad they are there for those that need them.

Secondly, they do kinda cheapen the experience. I have double 100% the original game and loved the challenge grounded presents. I knew that game inside and out, but I never reached that level of familiarity with Part 2. As for trophy rarity being more common, in general most trophies are now easier to get and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter - the only value they have is the one you give them; so for some people it will definitely be a factor in whether or not they go for it.