Trophy Spam Issue

MMDE

1 minute ago, maisie666 said:

My only autopop caused me more stress and anxiety than just about any other game i can remember.  Took me several days of research and positive self talk.  

Hide contents

If MASTERMINDS didn t pop, i don t know what i would have done.  So much risk, so little reward.

I wanted to autopop MGS2 on Vita, but I didnt knew anything about transfarring, didnt prepare anything and dont know what will autopop and what doesnt... And I don't want to redo all that VR missions on the PSV... So better not...

• Like 1

Personally I don't care for or about them, I've tried 1 it was garbage I've never played another, these posts are getting old at this stage and if the companies are making a fortune off people willing to pay 3 bucks for a jumping food game I too would keep "reinventing" them. 8 bucks for a 3 minute run game but these are ignored  play what you like, don't play what you don't like. If you don't like seeing these games filter them out by price, 'cause if you don't like them, you'll not like any other 3 buck game. 

I called this weeks ago:

There's no way to ban specific games from the leaderboard without the "community" falling apart over which games do and don't count. There are a lot of visual novels where you can hold down X to pop the platinum; should those be banned? What about games that are glitched and have unobtainable trophies? Or games that are so hacked that everyone gets the platinum just by playing online? How easy does a game have to be before it's too easy to be included?

And right on cue, the "community" is slap-fighting about the exact definition of a "stack", and which stacks should be counted and which stacks shouldn't, when stacks were never the problem; shovelware was the problem. 

The conversation has turned from "these poor excuses for games are flooding the site" to "games where it's too easy to earn trophies, no matter the reason, shouldn't be counted on the leaderboard," as it was always going to.

5 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

I called this weeks ago:

And right on cue, the "community" is slap-fighting about the exact definition of a "stack", and which stacks should be counted and which stacks shouldn't, when stacks were never the problem; shovelware was the problem. 

The conversation has turned from "these poor excuses for games are flooding the site" to "games where it's too easy to earn trophies, no matter the reason, shouldn't be counted on the leaderboard," as it was always going to.

This just got out of hand, stacks is not the problem, if shovelware is taken out then their stacks go with them, is different to get 1 or 2 stacks of an eventual VN than getting 10 stacks daily, the problem here was just one person pointing fingers at people for stacking when he was doing the same, the problem was never against the stacks themselves...

36 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

I called this weeks ago:

Come on man there will always be debate but for the most part everyone knows what shovelware is.  it's not hard to figure out what a spam x game is and what it's worth should be.  The debate about stacking actually existed long before spam x games.  Nobody is going to eliminate points for stacks of games that don't fall into the category of spam x.  A lot of the debate comes from the spam x crowd throwing fuel to the fire.  they think if there spam x games don't count then maybe your fortnite stack or COD stack should fall into the same category but they are reaching quite a bit there.  Spam x and stacking battlefield  2042 or something similar aren't even in the same ball park of a cheap way to earn trophies.

Edited by steel6burgh

Guys n gals, this is really damn simple.

Have 2 leaderboards.

1. Main leaderboard as it currently is, flaws and all.

2. A second leaderboard with an arbitrary Rarity cutoff for games that count at 90%.

Yes, 90% is arbitrary, but it serves its purpose adequately. It does not matter if some games slip through the cracks, the cutoff will have served its purpose regardless.

People could then look at either leaderboard that makes them feel warm and tingly inside. There's no real need for any discourse beyond that if something simple like this were implemented. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Guys n gals, this is really damn simple.

Have 2 leaderboards.

1. Main leaderboard as it currently is, flaws and all.

2. A second leaderboard with an arbitrary Rarity cutoff for games that count at 90%.

Yes, 90% is arbitrary, but it serves its purpose adequately. It does not matter if some games slip through the cracks, the cutoff will have served its purpose regardless.

People could then look at either leaderboard that makes them feel warm and tingly inside. There's no real need for any discourse beyond that if something simple like this were implemented. 

Shush you, no logic allowed in this thread.  Let them continue to ignore that making changes to the current leaderboard was already ruled out, and Sly already did his 1 wake up per decade to toggle the front page.

It just keeps going in circles 

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The reason I don’t support

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a rarity leaderboard. The way I see it, and if i were to draw an equivalence, is that the speedrun community constantly grows and self-regulates itself by introducing new rules and categories for every game. Of course, things are more manageable there and moderators are assigned to any new game (which aren't as abundant) to maintain the sanctity of the leaderboards. Trophies aren't as simple, and of course we'll need drastically different set of rules to manage these leaderboards and a lot more labor to moderate them, just because of the sheer quantity of games are trophies each game has.

I see your point though. Someone outside of these communities will not care about say "Any% Sekiro Shura No Air Swim" category and to them the only credible speedrun would be Any% unrestricted one, the one which takes the least amount of time to beat the game. It still doesn't devalue the other category for people who care about it or the runners running them, though it may be less popular.

Similarly, the rarity leaderboard might not make sense to someone outside the community and the number of platinums will be the only thing that they'll be most impressed by. The rarity leaderboard will mean something to people in the community who feel that the current one doesn't reflect their gaming log and I think that's fair.

I still don't think that stacking and playing shovelware is cheating or illegitimate. People playing those games are still following the rules established by Sony. They might like to play those to see their PSN level go up, or platinum number go up, or their leaderboard rank rising, it's all within the boundaries of the rules that are officially recognized.

Edited by boorish_brute
  • Like 3

Personally, i think the best way to "clear" up this whole thing, is for Sony themselves to create an actual, offical leaderboard like this themselves.

Not only would it be more accurate, because they would be drawing from all PSN accounts instead of just people that visit a particular site, but also because their the, ya know, the big dawgs who created the trophy and points system?

Hell, they could even monitize it some and make a killing off everyone that gives a shit about this stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Countrydude1989 said:

Personally, i think the best way to "clear" up this whole thing, is for Sony themselves to create an actual, offical leaderboard like this themselves.

Not only would it be more accurate, because they would be drawing from all PSN accounts instead of just people that visit a particular site, but also because their the, ya know, the big dawgs who created the trophy and points system?

Hell, they could even monitize it some and make a killing off everyone that gives a shit about this stuff. 

How would that be any different? If someone thinks that trophy spam is an issue then that would be an equal issue on an "official leaderboard" made by Sony. PSNP having too few members has nothing to do with the problem.

Sony has also never banned anyone for hacking trophies so their official leaderboard would look like this:

- The very top would be trophy hackers

- After them follows people with an extreme amount of spamplats like The Jumping Ratatouille Turbo

- After that follows everyone else

A leaderboard like that would be even more problematic and even harder to compete on.

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iriihutoR84 said:

How would that be any different? If someone thinks that trophy spam is an issue then that would be an equal issue on an "official leaderboard" made by Sony. PSNP having too few members has nothing to do with the problem.

Sony has also never banned anyone for hacking trophies so their official leaderboard would look like this:

- The very top would be trophy hackers

- After them follows people with an extreme amount of spamplats like The Jumping Ratatouille Turbo

- After that follows everyone else

A leaderboard like that would be even more problematic and even harder to compete on.

Well, for starters, stuff like rarity WOULD be accurate, because its coming from all accounts, not just a couple million that happens to glance here. According to this place, i have like... 2 UR trophies? but if was actually going off Sonys Data, then id have close to 2 dozen or more of them. It would at least "solve" the rarity, or at least make it far more accurate.

As far as everything else? i guess i'll take the good with the bad, if the data being used for rankings is actually coming from an Official source, regardless of how much "worse" my ranking will be.

Point is, I do enjoy PsnP, along with the other trophy tracking sites, and i think their useful tools in their own right, but i just feel like they are not telling the "whole story" if you will. 

28 minutes ago, Countrydude1989 said:

Well, for starters, stuff like rarity WOULD be accurate, because its coming from all accounts, not just a couple million that happens to glance here. According to this place, i have like... 2 UR trophies? but if was actually going off Sonys Data, then id have close to 2 dozen or more of them. It would at least "solve" the rarity, or at least make it far more accurate.

As far as everything else? i guess i'll take the good with the bad, if the data being used for rankings is actually coming from an Official source, regardless of how much "worse" my ranking will be.

Point is, I do enjoy PsnP, along with the other trophy tracking sites, and i think their useful tools in their own right, but i just feel like they are not telling the "whole story" if you will. 

I would say this place is a lot more accurate as a lot of the profiles tracked here are from people who actually care about getting trophies. A lot of the rarities from Sony are from people who have started playing a game and didn't really progress far in the game or didn't really care about the trophies. An Ultra Rare on here means a lot more than an Ultra Rare on Sony's rarities.

Edited by Taihou
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taihou said:

I would say this place is a lot more accurate as a lot of the profiles tracked here are from people who actually care about getting trophies. A lot of the rarities from Sony are from people who have started playing a game and didn't really progress far in the game or didn't really care about the trophies. An Ultra Rare on here means a lot more than an Ultra Rare on Sony's rarities.

It has more meaning than Sony stats for sure, but at the same time you could argue they are equally meaningless when you consider there's plenty of people who get added here by others without knowing, all it takes is looking up a random profile and here they are, it's not something you have to opt-in to show up.. not to mention everything else that influences rarity like being a Plus title or popular multiplayer games or even the way DLC rarity formula works here.. Stats like these should only be seen as fun stats, not much more than that.

45 minutes ago, Countrydude1989 said:

Yeah... hundreds of hackers with the plat of Crypt of the Necrodancer or Dragon Fin Soup (that is impossible to get afaik) will make things more accurate...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aodir said:

It has more meaning than Sony stats for sure, but at the same time you could argue they are equally meaningless when you consider there's plenty of people who get added here by others without knowing, all it takes is looking up a random profile and here they are, it's not something you have to opt-in to show up.. not to mention everything else that influences rarity like being a Plus title or popular multiplayer games or even the way DLC rarity formula works here.. Stats like these should only be seen as fun stats, not much more than that.

Yeah that's also true as well. I guess there is no real true way to determine accuracy but as @DeepEyes7 mentioned above and I missed, there are a lot of cheaters on Sony's list that also influences to rarities of trophies. 

1 hour ago, Countrydude1989 said:

[...] would it be more accurate, because they would be drawing from all PSN accounts 

Sounds like the opposite of accuracy tbh. PSN Rarity percentages are overinflated with R's & UR's in almost, if not all, games; either bacause people stopped playing, played for 1~2 hours and quit, opened the game by accident, only got it because of PS+, etc. 

Not to mention the inmense amounts of dummy/alt accounts, abandoned profiles, and heavy-cheaters that would inevitably squeeze into the rankings because of Sony simply not caring for any sort of leaderboard or trophy standard. Don't get me wrong, PSNP Leaderboard aren't perfect by any means, but an official Leaderboard sounds like a much bigger hassle than what Sony is willing to make, with much of the problems that we already deal here probably carrying over there in a magnified and unmanageable state. 

Edited by SaAlLoAg