Should Shovelware Be Worth Zero Points?

Shovelware Zero Points  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Should All Games Marked As Shovelware Have A Vaule Of Zero Points?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Alternatives

• I Voted Yes But Prefer Alt - Rarity Leaderboard
    • I Voted No And Want Alt - Rarity Leaderboard
    • No Alternative
  3. 3. If A Rarity Leaderboard Happened, What Cut Off Percentage?

• 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

That hasn’t meant much since the PS3/early PS4 era. 

And those are exactly the days I miss. I am aware that there is no way to go back, but I would still strive to reach that standard.

• Like 1

Average shovelware enjoyers have all one thing in common, extremely high trophies per day stat. A new formula for the leaderboards for those who care should make both sides happy IMO. They get to keep their trophy counts but get somewhat punished for spamming. One server closure announcement can turn a full UR list into a shovelware cough Hyperbrawl Tournament cough so looking at rarity isn't the answer IMO. The main solution is not seeing those games anywhere but we all know that's not happening. There are still hundreds of animals and fruits left maybe someday...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johncnstntn__ said:

Average shovelware enjoyers have all one thing in common, extremely high trophies per day stat. A new formula for the leaderboards for those who care should make both sides happy IMO. They get to keep their trophy counts but get somewhat punished for spamming. One server closure announcement can turn a full UR list into a shovelware cough Hyperbrawl Tournament cough so looking at rarity isn't the answer IMO. The main solution is not seeing those games anywhere but we all know that's not happening. There are still hundreds of animals and fruits left maybe someday...

"Punished for spamming" is a nice framing of people who hunt for trophies in a more efficient way.

• Like 2

Watch out guys! We have a game that graduated from Shovelware into being a real game!

Huge congratulations go out to Project Summer Ice Bowling Online sitting at platinum rarity of 42.86%

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/18631-project-summer-ice-bowling-online

In comparison, big thumbs down going out to relegated and now shitty EZPZ game Elden Ring on PS5, that has a platinum rarity of 43.92%

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/15539-elden-ring

Elden Ring? More like.... Smelly Bling....

10 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

"Punished for spamming" is a nice framing of people who hunt for trophies in a more efficient way.

"Wallet abuse" sounds more appropriate.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Come on now - it's not "hunting", it's amassing.

I'm not in favour of attacking people for what they chose to spend their money on, or how they chose to spend their time within the bounds of the law...

...in fact, I'm not even really in favour of rarity leaderboards.

Live and let live, I say...

...but lets not be silly about the terminology. 

Amassing trophies from these products is to "Trophy Hunting" as filling barrels full of penny-sweets is to stalking an Elk.

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Watch out guys! We have a game that graduated from Shovelware into being a real game!

Huge congratulations go out to Project Summer Ice Bowling Online sitting at platinum rarity of 42.86%

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/18631-project-summer-ice-bowling-online

In comparison, big thumbs down going out to relegated and now shitty EZPZ game Elden Ring on PS5, that has a platinum rarity of 43.92%

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/15539-elden-ring

Elden Ring? More like.... Smelly Bling....

"Wallet abuse" sounds more appropriate.

I'd like to be the first in acknowledging the Project Summer Ice Bowling Online platinum cheifs.

roman-reigns-acknowledge-me.gif

2 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Where can I check the shovelware tag of these craptastic games?

Check 'Games' then at the top of the table, press Show Shovelware.

Or you can look at EASY GAMES for a list of questionable titles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TriadThunder-X said:

Check 'Games' then at the top of the table, press Show Shovelware.

Or you can look at EASY GAMES for a list of questionable titles.

Interesting. An artistic 30 minute plat such as Lydia or Arrog is not considered shovelware. I guess the label only apllies to zero-effort games (from developers) such as "the jumping [insert name of food] turbo"

1 minute ago, Clavietka said:

Interesting. An artistic 30 minute plat such as Lydia or Arrog is not considered shovelware. I guess the label only apllies to zero-effort games (from developers) such as "the jumping [insert name of food] turbo"

The games have to be manually put into that category from what I have read.

4 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Shovelware has gotten so bad that we almost need a tag for Shovelware lite, or have Shovelware maintain the original meaning and then have a lower tier of ScamWare, or ClickToTrophy games.

Still these games are very easy to spot, and if you can get the platinum in less than 5 minutes, this is also classed as Shovelware. I think a general rule is if the game takes less time to complete than it is does to search, buy and download the game, then it's not really even a game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TriadThunder-X said:

The games have to be manually put into that category from what I have read.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was only pondering on the concept of "shovelware". After this barrage of terrible games has arrived, I'm even considering getting the plat for "Trivial Pursuit", for which I have the disc. Compared to nowadays scams of games, Trivial Pursuit is a honorable plat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Yeah, I figured as much. I was only pondering on the concept of "shovelware". After this barrage of terrible games has arrived, I'm even considering getting the plat for "Trivial Pursuit", for which I have the disc. Compared to nowadays scams of games, Trivial Pursuit is a honorable plat.

Is that the one on PS3? If so, I have that platinum, a friend lent it to me like in 2010 and said "Hey easy platinum" and it was probably the 2nd most boring game I have ever played on Playstation. Don't do it man! lol

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

Is that the one on PS3? If so, I have that platinum, a friend lent it to me like in 2010 and said "Hey easy platinum" and it was probably the 2nd most boring game I have ever played on Playstation. Don't do it man! lol

Thanks for the advice. I'll refrain from playing it. I feel good that I wasn't tainted by the likes of Hannah Montana or Terminator: Salvation. Why go there?

I have platinums for BAD and HARD games; plats for GOOD and EASY games; but the only plat I have for a BAD ANNND EASY game goes for SpongeBob Squarepants: PRR. My son played it when he was younger. What a souless game.

7 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll refrain from playing it. I feel good that I wasn't tainted by the likes of Hannah Montana or Terminator: Salvation. Why go there?

I have platinums for BAD and HARD games; plats for GOOD and EASY games; but the only plat I have for a BAD ANNND EASY game goes for SpongeBob Squarepants: PRR. My son played it when he was younger. What a souless game.

Because it's funny.

48 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Trivial Pursuit is alright imo, a relaxing game to play. Nothing wrong with Terminator Salvation, decent game imo. Stuff like Hannah Montana and Barbie are the only stuff i won't play on PS3, a grown man playing a kids game for girls is a little weird lol. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Stuff like Hannah Montana and Barbie are the only stuff i won't play on PS3, a grown man playing a kids game for girls is a little weird lol. 

Do it for the lulz and then put Hannah Montana on your trophy cabinet. 

Ultimate Chad move IMO. 

What's the most embarrassing plat anyway? I see JoJo Siwa is getting a game, maybe that one? I'm considering getting the most embarrassing platinum and putting it on my cabinet. 

"Youtubers Life OMG!" has to be the most cringe game title ever, I think I'll keep that one in mind, I mean, just look at this beauty:

8U8a3R8.jpg

It's an ultra rare platinum too, so I can even use that excuse. Yeah, the perfect murder, alright *rubs hands*

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie
Added extra succulent cringe.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Trivial Pursuit is alright imo, a relaxing game to play. Nothing wrong with Terminator Salvation, decent game imo. Stuff like Hannah Montana and Barbie are the only stuff i won't play on PS3, a grown man playing a kids game for girls is a little weird lol. 

I can't say much about Hannah Montana but Terminator Salvation I thought was fairly decent. Presentation was really great, it was just pretty clunky at times, not too many enemy varities, weird one hit deaths when behind cover and really quite short. I only got a bit frustrated with it towards the end and the loading times, But it was pretty good, and even supports split screen coop like Borderlands, compared to what is classed as a bad/embarrassing game/platinum these days, it's practically GOTY quality.

Not a game I would want to pay full price for, or play more than once, same guy who lent me Trivial Pursuit lent me this game and I was pretty content to have played it. The PS4 Terminator game is so much better though, but hey, Terminator Salvation? There are many worse ways to spend to your time over Terminator Salvation, in 2022, I'd probably say another 1900 of them. lol

• Like 4

11 hours ago, johncnstntn__ said:

You start off your post pointing out a high trophies-per-day stat, then appear to suggest a new Leaderboard formula that would somehow “punish” people for “spamming,” but don’t seem to provide specifics, or what you define as “spamming.” Can you elaborate? How would someone’s TPD be tied to a score formula, how many TPD would be considered “spam,” and what would the “punishment” be?

Edited by Ashande
  • Like 1