Parker's Xbox One First Impressions (Gaming Setup Picture Too)

Parker

For those that haven't heard, I bought an Xbone. I found a brand new Day One Edition on eBay with about 2 minutes before it expired. I bid $350 and ended up winning so I really couldn't pass up the system at that price. It arrived at my house today, I set it up, downloaded a few updates and have had a few hours of playtime with the system. 

First, here are some pictures. 

Day One Edition Box

DSC01326_zps8542350f.jpg

The system

DSC01328_zps81d84af7.jpg

DSC01329_zpsaeb9abf7.jpg

DSC01332_zps250c5905.jpg

The controller with goddamn batteries...

DSC01327_zps0743bfa7.jpg

My current gen gaming setup as of right now. 

DSC01330_zpsd442a184.jpg

DSC01331_zpsad79b53e.jpg

The box to the left is a Wii U box (which has been moved, sorry for that, I didn't even realize it was there at the time of the picture) and I'm aware I need to do something about all those cables too...

Back to the Xbone. 

Things I like...

Setup was a breeze, I got the Kinect calibrated very easy, signed into my account, inserted the Forza 5 disc and starting installing it within just a few minutes after downloading the initial update which was 598mb I believe. 

The controller feels very good too. I still vastly prefer DualShock 4 but as a fan of the 360 controller as well, this one feels like an extension of that but improved very slightly. The D-pad is 100% better, not as good as any of the DualShock controllers but much better than the 360. The trigger rumbling seems pretty gimmicky so far and experiencing it with Forza didn't really do much for me. Still, the controller itself is very good and feels nice and natural to hold. 

Meh...

Voice commands. They work... kind of, but even still they really aren't faster than just using your controller. Plus when my wife and son are asleep I'd have to be a cock to start yelling at my Xbox to do things instead of silently doing it myself.

Things I don't like...

The UI, its awful. If you are a fan of Windows 8 then you'll more than likely enjoy the Xbone's UI but I can't stand Metro (or whatever the hell it is called) and it is even worse on a console. At least with my PC I can use a mouse but with the controller it feels a lot clunkier and navigating isn't nearly as smooth and concise as I'd like it.  Finding things in the menu can also be a pain as well. 

Apps behind the Gold pay wall is disgusting as well. I can understand having to pay to play online (to an extent) but I'll never understand why Microsoft forces you to subscribe to their service in order to access a service you're already paying for. It screams of a money grab and it is ridiculous. I have Gold for Titanfall and Forza anyway but it is still crazy, of course this is the same company that still uses AA batteries for their controller. 

The system is kind of ugly. It doesn't look as awful as I originally thought but it is still just a massive brick (and it is pretty damn big) that really doesn't have any pleasing aesthetic features. As you can see it the pictures above, it pretty much dwarfs all the current and last generation consoles but it doesn't feel cheap which is a good thing. 

As I said, I've only had a few hours with the system so far but I am enjoying it. I'm much more excited about the PlayStation 4 and will be buying all multiplatform titles for the Sony console but I can justify $350 for playing some awesome Xbone exclusives too. 

If you all have any questions about the system feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer as quickly as possible. If there are any Xbox players out here that haven't already added me, feel free to add PageyTheSquid on Xbox Live and we can kill some Titans together. 

Parker

• Like 1

Wow I haven't actually seen one next to a PS4 before. That is pretty fucking huge :o

You might like these too.

oNObdQSl_zps4b0b4587.jpg

kkYeSOQl_zpsd2844401.jpg

B2MpNC6l_zps3165cc72.jpg

Do you regret buying it ?

I'm sure I would

Don't regret it at all. I'm a gamer at heart so I enjoy all of what every console has to offer. I prefer PlayStation but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other consoles as well. If you'd like, you can click on my profile to see a list of the consoles I currently own. 

Parker

• Like 3

You might like these too.

oNObdQSl_zps4b0b4587.jpg

kkYeSOQl_zpsd2844401.jpg

B2MpNC6l_zps3165cc72.jpg

Don't regret it at all. I'm a gamer at heart so I enjoy all of what every console has to offer. I prefer PlayStation but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other consoles as well. If you'd like, you can click on my profile to see a list of the consoles I currently own. 

Parker

LOL, I would like to see one next to a 5200 or CDI. I tried googling it but no one has posted a comparison yet.

Well as long as it does what it is supposed to do (plays new and interesting games) then I have no problem with it. I just hope that MS realizes that this gen they can't just rely on Halo and COD exclusives to get by.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

Interesting read.

The controller seems quite big and heavy. And I can't believe they still require batteries..

Controllers actually not that bad size wise. But batteries are the worst lol

When i saw the size comparison at launch i was frightened. Glad you got it and works and all that. My bro in law has one so im just going to play exclusives at his place haha, if i bought it it would be a big brick

Can't wait to hear your opinion on Forza 5. I'm in the market for a 360 just to play 3,4 and Horizons and a few other exclusives. Thanks for giving a non biased opinion.

Blah - Blah - Blah - I have been on your ass for over a year to get an xbox and yes Forza 5 is amazing!

• Like 1

So what did you watch the intro movie? Mr. 14.1%. Speaking of ass....anytime, anywhere big fella :pimp:

Fuck You! they make you race at the beginning so they can auto setup from how you did. (forgot how I did it was a while ago) Oh and I kind of assumed you would like my ass.  :blush:

Peggle is a pretty cool game, but would Peggle 2 really be a system seller? I mean that's A LOT of money for a puzzle game...

Peggle is a pretty cool game, but would Peggle 2 really be a system seller? I mean that's A LOT of money for a puzzle game...

Well, I'll probably end up buying titanfall and dead rising 3 and any future xbox exclusive.

I would have expected Microsoft's #1 Improvement towards the next Gen to be the "No longer Use of Batteries". I still remember a time when my friend brought his 360 over and we would actually have to find a battery lying out, we even checked the damn sofa. 

I guess Microsoft must have a Partnership with "Duracell" to keep it in effect. I agree that the "having to subscribe for a Subscription" seams ridiculous on the fact that it's another company's service. Also imagine if they went along with the "must have internet available 24/7" policy, because just imagine if there's a "Blackout"...Which I got today due to heavy winds knocking down a Utility pole, and if they did go with that policy my Xbox One would be fucked right now(if I had one).

Edited by DarknessKey92

I would have expected Microsoft's #1 Improvement towards the next Gen to be the "No longer Use of Batteries". I still remember a time when my friend brought his 360 over and we would actually have to find a battery lying out, we even checked the damn sofa. 

I guess Microsoft must have a Partnership with "Duracell" to keep it in effect. I agree that the "having to subscribe for a Subscription" seams ridiculous on the fact that it's another company's service. Also imagine if they went along with the "must have internet available 24/7" policy, because just imagine if there's a "Blackout".

If there was a blackout wouldn't you be out of electricity also.  :unsure: