Risen 1 Coming to PS4

DEI2EK

• 2 months later...

LMAO I really did not see this coming/did not expect it. Piranha Bytes = the best eurojank in the industry (Risen IS the spiritual successor of Gothic after all)

50 minutes ago, WiktorM101 said:

Hell yeah, now let's see if all trophies are obtainable. This is still THQ Nordic

True true, now I see THQ Nordic handles it * cries in broken Titan Quest DLC trophies *

• Like 1

And so the shit trilogy comes full circle. Risen 2 was passable (at best), Risen 3 was awful...so naturally, I'll have to see from where it all sprung. 

EDIT: Actually, Risen 2 sucked. Who the hell puts insta-deth traps in the middle of the fields? Stupid Piranha Bytes.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

We live in a world that allows for the abominable Risen series to come to PS4, but does not allow the legendary Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 to do the same, and that is something to lament. I used to think that Gothic 3 was bad, especially when compared to the first two, but after playing Risen I understood how spoiled I was for treating Gothic 3 so harshly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dauersack said:

We live in a world that allows for the abominable Risen series to come to PS4, but does not allow the legendary Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 to do the same, and that is something to lament. I used to think that Gothic 3 was bad, especially when compared to the first two, but after playing Risen I understood how spoiled I was for treating Gothic 3 so harshly.

I read months ago that PB is working in a Gothic Remake, so is just a matter of time. This Risen just seems like a port.

4 minutes ago, Galserik said:

I read months ago that PB is working in a Gothic Remake, so is just a matter of time. This Risen just seems like a port.

Nowadays the word remake, when applied to beloved games, sounds more like a threat than anything else. I'd get excited and buy the port of Gothic in a heartbeat despite it looking like ass graphically, but I do not dare to get my hopes up for the remake that they kept talking/hinting about for years now, especially when the developer has had more duds (just like this game here) than successes ever since letting the Gothic series die.

Edited by Dauersack

2 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Nowadays the word remake, when applied to beloved games, sounds more like a threat than anything else. I'd get excited and buy the port of Gothic in a heartbeat despite it looking like ass graphically, but I do not dare to get my hopes up for the remake that they kept talking about for years now, especially when the developer has had more duds (just like this game here) than successes ever since letting the Gothic series die.

I played the last 2 PB titles (Elex and Elex 2) and they were good, with the exception that they keep the same outdated melee combat system. I only hope that, if the remake finally happens, they really improve that and keep the rest the same. It would be a nice point to play such nostalgic saga again.

13 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Even when I played this back in the day I thought it was absolute dreck. Ah well, amusing to see it coming to PS4 after so long!

13 hours ago, Copanele said:

LMAO I really did not see this coming/did not expect it. Piranha Bytes = the best eurojank in the industry (Risen IS the spiritual successor of Gothic after all)

True true, now I see THQ Nordic handles it * cries in broken Titan Quest DLC trophies *

What does dreck and eurojank mean? Sorry for the dumb question, lol. 

13 hours ago, Copanele said:

I'm still really pissed about this. They took our 100%'s away and couldn't be assed to fix their broken trophies. ?

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

What does dreck and eurojank mean? Sorry for the dumb question, lol. 

I can answer for eurojank - super ambitious but glitchy as hell European games, like Gothic, Risen here, Elex, the first 2 Witchers (and to an extent Witcher 3 at launch).

They are super charming games...if you get past the myriad of glitches and clunkiness and tank controls. Definitely not games for everyone.

10 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I'm still really pissed about this. They took our 100%'s away and couldn't be assed to fix their broken trophies. 1f621.png

Every now and then I refresh the list, hoping that a patch would have appeared...

But alas, THQ Nordic can't be assed to implement the PC patches on Playstation. And yes I saw the entire discussion thread xD 

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

I can answer for eurojank - super ambitious but glitchy as hell European games, like Gothic, Risen here, Elex, the first 2 Witchers (and to an extent Witcher 3 at launch).

They are super charming games...if you get past the myriad of glitches and clunkiness and tank controls. Definitely not games for everyone.

Every now and then I refresh the list, hoping that a patch would have appeared...

But alas, THQ Nordic can't be assed to implement the PC patches on Playstation. And yes I saw the entire discussion thread xD 

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

Dreck = rubbish

I get tired of just calling things “crap” so I change it up a bit lol

All of the Risen games really are that bad, eh? It seems that for every positive I read about there's like 20 negatives. It sucks, really, because I've always been curious to play them but the negative comments/reviews of the game have always kept me at bay.

9 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

All of the Risen games really are that bad, eh? It seems that for every positive I read about there's like 20 negatives. It sucks, really, because I've always been curious to play them but the negative comments/reviews of the game have always kept me at bay.

The answer is yes ?from a technical standpoint, Risen games are pretty awful,especially compared to their predecessor, the Gothic series (one of the greatest RPG series ever made, in my humble opinion of course). Like, everyone who said the games are a pain are 100% right xD I also agree with @Dauersack,not adding the glorious Gothic 1 and 2 ports on the consoles is a great insult and a missed opportunity xD but that's besides the point. 

However...what these games manage to capture is the immersion. You really feel like you're on an island, not like a simulation of an island. It's pretty tough to explain, but these games aren't Cyberpunk2077 at launch kind of games, more like "damn, took me 4 hours to learn how to use an item, but this game feels goooood".

Don't buy it at full price though!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Don't buy it at full price though!!!!!!!

Never. I always wait for sales. Risen 3 goes on sale ALL the time. I think the cheapest I saw it was like for a couple bucks. Difficult game to platinum, Risen 3 is? I saw Angry Joe's review years ago and that's what initially put me off about the game. 

21 hours ago, Dauersack said:

I've never played any Gothic, except for the one that was so bad, they took the Gothic name off of it (and make no mistake - Arcania was very bad).

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I've never played any Gothic, except for the one that was so bad, they took the Gothic name off of it (and make no mistake - Arcania was very bad).

People swear by Gothic 1 and 2 and compare them to other great WRPGs like Morrowind. Always been meaning to try them out myself just never bothered.

I just now heard about this. Loved Gothic 1 and 2, especially 2 is one of my favorite games ever. Played Risen, but never had time to finish it. I would be intrigued to try it now with trophies, but I am worried to see how it runs on consoles, since Risen on 360 ran like absolute crap and the only way to play it properly was through PC ?

7 hours ago, Copanele said:

The answer is yes 1f602.pngfrom a technical standpoint, Risen games are pretty awful,especially compared to their predecessor, the Gothic series (one of the greatest RPG series ever made, in my humble opinion of course). 

My Man! ✋ high five ✋

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Never. I always wait for sales. Risen 3 goes on sale ALL the time. I think the cheapest I saw it was like for a couple bucks. Difficult game to platinum, Risen 3 is? I saw Angry Joe's review years ago and that's what initially put me off about the game. 

To each their own, but I've always found Angry Joe to whine about any game that doesn't essentially play itself for him. It's been a while since I've watched him but IIRC he was always complaining about... just... having to play a game. I guess that's his namesake but still.