Platinum Difficulty Challenge 2023

As far as I'm aware Trials Fusion shouldn't be included in the top 10 badge because it lacks a platinum trophy therefore it seems counter-productive to include a 100% game. Granted you probably didn't know what to put as the last top 10 submission. It's very difficult to think of games that deserve a top 10 spot since you could make the case for a few dozen games, however as far as I can see there are some big numbers being thrown around for the MGS Collection on PS4/5. Perhaps you can replace it with MGS2 until further details are released regarding it's difficulty.

I honestly cannot think of any additional badges at the time of writing but I feel like the Hardcore badge for completing the challenge playing at least 7/10's is easily exploitable since there are a lot of websites that have inflated ratings. Not sure of a name for this potential badge but what about having a badge where you must complete a 1% platinum all the way up to a 10%. Regardless I'm looking forward to participating in next years event.  

Edited by LancashireLad87
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

As far as I'm aware Trials Fusion shouldn't be included in the top 10 badge because it lacks a platinum trophy therefore it seems counter-productive to include a 100% game. Granted you probably didn't know what to put as the last top 10 submission. It's very difficult to think of games that deserve a top 10 spot since you could make the case for a few dozen games, however as far as I can see there are some big numbers being thrown around for the MGS Collection on PS4/5. Perhaps you can replace it with MGS2 until further details are released regarding it's difficulty.

I honestly cannot think of any additional badges at the time of writing but I feel like the Hardcore badge for completing the challenge playing at least 7/10's is easily exploitable since there are a lot of websites that have inflated ratings. Not sure of a name for this potential badge but what about having a badge where you must complete a 1% platinum all the way up to a 10%. Regardless I'm looking forward to participating in next years event.  

Snap I didn’t realize Trials Fusion didn’t have a platinum. 100% games will be allowed next year, but I definitely want the top 10 to have platinums. Replacing it with Metal Gear Solid 2 is brilliant though. Definitely gonna do that. Out of my 275+ platinums I consider Metal Gear Solid 2 PS3 my hardest platinum…and now everyone says the PS4/PS5 version is even harder due to the Big Boss rank trophy 😳😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:22 AM, Rebourne07 said:

Sup guys, I'm hard at work preparing next years event. Been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm excited to present the tentative badge list. Hardcore badges have been added. Text in bold red indicates changes to existing badges. I dropped the Easy Mode idea...too many potential complications. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

I think I'm going to pass on next year's event to try and do some other events (namely URs on A-Z Platinum Titles and Every Genre), but I did try to get almost every badge this year so I might as well provide some feedback. I think having both DCO and OCD is kind of restricting. I'd be in favor of condensing it to one badge for doing it in either direction. I agree that PS3 should only be 3 games. The PS3 has a lot of good games for sure, but a lot of them also have online trophies so it can be tough to find 6 that aren't annoying to complete.

I definitely ran into an issue with VR master since it simply wasn't achievable without spending a bunch of money. I like the idea of condensing it with Vita master and allowing anything with a peripheral as well. There are plenty of PS4 games with Vita tags so it should be achievable for anyone. I would also be in favor of lowering the PS4 and PS5 master badges to 5 games. This way they are technically achievable in one list. There are also not very many high difficulty PS5 games, so it's already annoying enough building a PS5 focused list that completes other badges. This goes along with Money Bags, which I agree 3 works for.

I think Simmer is a little too specific. There aren't that many popular games with Simulator in the title. I think of games like Planet Coaster or Cities: Skylines, which are definitely simulators but don't have it in the title. The Simulator tag is certainly more widely applied than I expected, so maybe a compromise would be to have 3 games with the tag with 1 of those requiring Simulator in the title.

Some other ideas for badges:

• 3 games where you play as an animal/non-human
  • 3 games that are on PS+ extra or premium
  • 3 games from the same developer or publisher, but not from the same series
  • 3 or 4 games with UR platinums (as an "easy" version of the hardcore badge)
  • 3 games completed by anyone in last year's challenge

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dertswa687o said:

I think I'm going to pass on next year's event to try and do some other events (namely URs on A-Z Platinum Titles and Every Genre), but I did try to get almost every badge this year so I might as well provide some feedback. I think having both DCO and OCD is kind of restricting. I'd be in favor of condensing it to one badge for doing it in either direction. I agree that PS3 should only be 3 games. The PS3 has a lot of good games for sure, but a lot of them also have online trophies so it can be tough to find 6 that aren't annoying to complete.

I definitely ran into an issue with VR master since it simply wasn't achievable without spending a bunch of money. I like the idea of condensing it with Vita master and allowing anything with a peripheral as well. There are plenty of PS4 games with Vita tags so it should be achievable for anyone. I would also be in favor of lowering the PS4 and PS5 master badges to 5 games. This way they are technically achievable in one list. There are also not very many high difficulty PS5 games, so it's already annoying enough building a PS5 focused list that completes other badges. This goes along with Money Bags, which I agree 3 works for.

I think Simmer is a little too specific. There aren't that many popular games with Simulator in the title. I think of games like Planet Coaster or Cities: Skylines, which are definitely simulators but don't have it in the title. The Simulator tag is certainly more widely applied than I expected, so maybe a compromise would be to have 3 games with the tag with 1 of those requiring Simulator in the title.

Some other ideas for badges:

• 3 games where you play as an animal/non-human
  • 3 games that are on PS+ extra or premium
  • 3 games from the same developer or publisher, but not from the same series
  • 3 or 4 games with UR platinums (as an "easy" version of the hardcore badge)
  • 3 games completed by anyone in last year's challenge

Aw man, we’ll miss you next year but yeah you’ve nailed the badges this year! You’re still on track to win most unique badges :D 

You bring up some really good points. Thank you for the feedback.

I’ll combine OCD and DCO and ask the players to specify which order they did it and award them either the right side up badge or upside down badge accordingly. That way the player can choose the order but the leaderboards still show which direction they did it.

You bring up a really good point with the PS4 being usable for Vita or VR tags. I do want those systems/peripherals to be required for those badges so I’ll specify that it must be a Vita exclusive version or a VR Required game. Any other peripherals we can include besides Move controllers? Maybe the PlayStation Eye toy? 😅

For Simmer I think you’ve given me an idea for a good middle ground. The Simulator genre tag is definitely too broad and yeah the Simulator title requirement can be restrictive. I’ll put a note that any player can get any game they feel works with the badge approved beforehand. Like just ask me if  Planet Coaster or Cities: Skylines works and I’ll say yes. Those are clearly simulators where the games I mentioned with the Simulator genre like some sports games are not so they’d be rejected. Like what the heck is Gungrave G.O.R.E. “simulating”? 😂

I like the animal badge one. We have one like it in the future badge ideas section. I also like same publisher, I’ll add that one in too. I’ve been aiming for 25 standard and 10 hardcore. Maybe we’ll make it 30 standard and 10 hardcore? 🤔 

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Aw man, we’ll miss you next year but yeah you’ve nailed the badges this year! You’re still on track to win most unique badges :D

It was fun! I still need to play Vanquish to get my last badge. And who knows, I may end up completing a list next year anyway. But look out for me in your every genre thread since I have some URs in mind 😉

5 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

I’ve been aiming for 25 standard and 10 hardcore. Maybe we’ll make it 30 standard and 10 hardcore? 🤔 

Maybe it would make sense to have 4 different difficulty tiers? Like 10 each of easy, medium, hard, and extreme. I recall this was something you were trying to do when creating the badges for this year. If you were looking to find a badge leader, you could assign a point value to each tier too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dertswa687o said:

It was fun! I still need to play Vanquish to get my last badge. And who knows, I may end up completing a list next year anyway. But look out for me in your every genre thread since I have some URs in mind 😉

Maybe it would make sense to have 4 different difficulty tiers? Like 10 each of easy, medium, hard, and extreme. I recall this was something you were trying to do when creating the badges for this year. If you were looking to find a badge leader, you could assign a point value to each tier too.

Nice, I need to officially add a UR component to the every genre challenge.

I thought about doing the points thing…it’d be awesome to see the results of it but not awesome to calculate them for every list. I’d need to write a little GitHub or CodePen website where people could input their badges and it’ll do the math for them to make it feasible and I don’t think I’ll have time for that this year. I’m changing jobs here in a week so I’ll be busy learning a new company’s code and business rules the rest of the year (I’m a Software Engineer) so that’s why I’m trying to take care of this years event prep work so early.

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 1

Since i read that you should include a badge to play ps+ extra games, i thought you could extent the ps+ badge for the month with completing a game from Essential in the month or one new entry of extra or premium in the month. The Essential needs to be finished until new Essential games come out and extra and Premium games needs to be finish until the new games for extra and Premium come out. That makes the varity of the games per month a bit bigger and more able to achieve for more users.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inuty said:

Since i read that you should include a badge to play ps+ extra games, i thought you could extent the ps+ badge for the month with completing a game from Essential in the month or one new entry of extra or premium in the month. The Essential needs to be finished until new Essential games come out and extra and Premium games needs to be finish until the new games for extra and Premium come out. That makes the varity of the games per month a bit bigger and more able to achieve for more users.

I want to figure out a way to involve PS Plus in some way...but I'm removing all time restricted badges. So like Carpe Diem couldn't be planned because you didn't know what games were gonna come up until the months rolled on. And the Love Bird, Murica and Spooky badges required you to wait for a particular month to do them so I removed those too. 

Can you think of a way to make a badge that involves PS Plus but 1) can be planned ahead and 2) doesnt require the player to wait for a particular month? The badge also needs to not be free haha cause if you say platinum any game thats on PS Plus Extra then everyones gonna get the badge. 😅🤔

Edited by Rebourne07

1 hour ago, Rebourne07 said:

Can you think of a way to make a badge that involves PS Plus but 1) can be planned ahead and 2) doesnt require the player to wait for a particular month? The badge also needs to not be free haha cause if you say platinum any game thats on PS Plus Extra then everyones gonna get the badge. 😅🤔

Hm i mean you could say 3 games which was added over the year in ps+? I mean it will take time until the first games are known but with this you can plan a little after the first 3 months are over with a collection of games. To avoid the platinum at a specific time just say you need to platinum 3 games over the year in a list. I cant think of another solution yet, sorry 😉

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:55 AM, Rebourne07 said:

Well that’s a second vote for Grinder and no one has submitted any alternatives so yeah I’ll make that the 10th hardcore badge, thank you :) 

Man, now I feel obligated to definitely do it instead of "Maybe if I have time", lol. I suppose I have no excuse to put off Kingdom Come Deliverance and its dog diaper of a platinum any longer...

On 10/27/2023 at 12:55 AM, Rebourne07 said:

I actually had several people complain about Guide Writer. But I personally liked it. Maybe I’ll add it back if I can’t think of a better badge since combining Vita and VR will leave a vacancy in the 25 standard badges.

I guess I can see why people wouldn't like it (hard to plan for, have to learn how to use the guide editor, some people aren't native english speakers, etc.), but I think it's a really cool way to encourage people to contribute to the site. I'd thought about writing guides a few times but lacked the motivation; now I've got 2 or 3 more I plan on writing, badge or no badge!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zaxonzaxon said:

Man, now I feel obligated to definitely do it instead of "Maybe if I have time", lol. I suppose I have no excuse to put off Kingdom Come Deliverance and its dog diaper of a platinum any longer...

I guess I can see why people wouldn't like it (hard to plan for, have to learn how to use the guide editor, some people aren't native english speakers, etc.), but I think it's a really cool way to encourage people to contribute to the site. I'd thought about writing guides a few times but lacked the motivation; now I've got 2 or 3 more I plan on writing, badge or no badge!

"dog diaper of a platinum" I literally lol'd 🤣

Yep both Grinder and Guide Writer are back in there so we'll see who all earns them next year! :D

On 12/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, Rebourne07 said:

@BlackReka Congratulations on platinum tier and finishing the challenge! You earned 11 badges! Good job man!

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 3

@Inuty 5 completed lists will be insane buddy! Well done 👍 

I am going to try and finish another 2 lists if I can which need 7 more games to be competed on and currently look like this......

LIST 2

Completed
Difficulty Name Console Guide
Time
%
before
Rarity Genre Theme Plan to
Platinum
4-Mar-2023 1/10 Pinball Heroes PS5 1 0% Common Simulator, Pinball, Arcade Action  
28-Feb-2023 2/10 Life Is Strange: True Colors PS5 6 0% Common Adventure Fantasy, Thriller, Drama, Mystery, Romance February
4-May-2023 3/10 Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order PS5 30 1% Uncommon Adventure Action, Fantasy, Science fiction  
29-May-2023 4/10 Death's door PS5 15 0% Uncommon Platform, Role-playing (RPG), Hack and slash/Beat 'em up, Adventure, Indie, Arcade Action, Fantasy  
21-Sept-2023 5/10 Trek to Yomi PS5 12 0% Rare Hack and slash/Beat 'em up, Adventure, Indie Action, Historical, Drama  
27-May-2023 6/10 Jydge PS5 20 0% Rare Shooter, Role-playing (RPG), Simulator, Strategy, Tactical, Indie, Arcade Action  
29-Oct-2023 7/10 Demon's Souls (remake) PS5 40 0% Uncommon Role-playing (RPG), Adventure Action, Fantasy, Horror October
  8/10 Eldest Souls PS5 20 0% Ultra Rare RPG, Adventure, Indie Action, Fantasy  
  9/10 Vanquish (JP) PS4 15 0% Very Rare Shooter Action, Science fiction  
  10/10 Demon's Souls (NA) PS3 90 0% Rare Role-playing (RPG), Adventure Action, Fantasy, Horror, Historical, Sandbox  

LIST 3

Completed
Difficulty Name Console Guide
Time
%
before
Rarity Genre Theme Plan to
Platinum /
Release Date
23-Jul-2023 1/10 The Suicide of Rachel Foster PS4 3 0% Common Adventure, Indie Mystery July
28-Feb-2023 2/10 Life Is Strange: True Colors PS4 6 0% Common Adventure Fantasy, Thriller, Drama, Mystery, Romance February
22-Jul-2023 3/10 God of War III Remastered PS4 15 0% Rare Hack and slash/Beat 'em up, Adventure Action, Fantasy, Historical  
  4/10 God of War 2018 PS4 40 0% Uncommon Role-playing (RPG), Hack and slash/Beat 'em up, Adventure Action, Fantasy, Historical  
5-Sep-2023 5/10 God of War: Ascension PS3 15 0% Rare Hack and slash/Beat 'em up, Adventure Action, Fantasy, Historical  
24-Sept-2023 6/10 Jydge PS4 20 0% Rare Shooter, Role-playing (RPG), Simulator, Strategy, Tactical, Indie, Arcade Action  
4-May-2023 7/10 Angry Birds Star Wars VITA 50 61% Very Rare Puzzle, Strategy, Arcade Action, Fantasy, Comedy  
  8/10 Furi PS4 25 0% Rare Fighting, Shooter, Hack&Slash/Beat em up, Adventure, Indie Action, Science Fiction  
  9/10 Dead Space 2 (GER) PS3 40 0% Very Rare Shooter Action, Science Fiction, Horror, Survival  
  10/10 Demon's Souls (AS) PS3 90 0% Rare Role-playing (RPG), Adventure Action, Fantasy, Horror, Historical, Sandbox  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Inuty said:

Man to be honest i have a hard time to find 10/10 and also 1/10 difficulty games at this point i really want to play 😂 if i finish the last list, then i have done 5 years of this event in one. I guess i need to wait for newer games ;)

Kinda true lol As fun as the event is, 10's are a finite resource. When I originally made the event it literally never even crossed my mind that anyone would do more than one list in a single year. But then people started going ham and doing multiple lists and doing ultra rare restrictions and other stuff which is what inspired the badges. 

• Like 2